Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845507 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The idea of "one REAL ending" is really reductive:

In the door + pickaxe scenario, the "REAL ending" is an open door. However, there's lots of ways to get there:
  • Mr. Pickaxe, meet Mr. Door. The door is opened loudly, and easily. This alerts all of the monsters in the area, leading to frantic combat.
  • Pick the lock. The door is opened carefully, checking for traps, avoiding the axeblade that will swing down and chop you into two.
  • Knock. You interrupt the goblin's poker game. Your players card shark them, winning the key to the hobgoblin's treasure chest. The cleric is terrible at bluffing, and loses his pants.
[cliche]It's about the journey, not the destination.[/cliche]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

There are magical effects (and items) that work quite a bit like a tranditional satchel charge, or bomb.

Lobbing one at most doors you would expect in a fantasy setting would throw them off their hinges in little woody bits, or bits of stony shrapnel.

Most DMs dont like this kind of thinking though, and want to use the door for encounter control purposes. Really creative problem solving for many of these kinds of encounters could totally bork many DM's carefully laid plans.

Take for instance, a setting predicated on sending the group to take care of some local goblin or orc filth that has been causing trouble, at the cave-centered base of operations for said filth.  It's a cave. It has at least one opening to the outside, and is an enclosed space.  You have some options that are not normally considered, and would be heavily frowned upon by the DM:

A geomancer can cause an earthquake. This will collapse the cave, killing all the goblin/orc filth inside. At the very least, will collapse the opening, trapping them inside, and side-stepping the entire fun-ride the DM had planned.
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Geomancy_(5e_Archetype) (level 8 spell)

An alchemist can create a powerful deadly vapors based approach, and gas the entire cave complex from the door. (In order for the cave to NOT suffocate the orc filth inside, there MUST be a draft-- so just having really noxious vapors wafting through and waiting at the door will either result in the orcs barrelling out to escape the gas, or their being gassed inside the cave. If they barrel out, they are restricted by the opening, allowing mass kills.)

Failing that, a hydromancer could simply flood the cave, and drown them all inside.

If the DM wants to say "you cant do that, the rooms are watertight", that leaves the question-- how do the inhabitants not asphyxiate?

Creative problem solving can be a DM's nightmare, which is why some DMs will nerf plans like that. Others will permit them, then exact vengance for derailing the script later.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile

There are always many possible endings, but most of them involve dead PCs~
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Bit late for this but there might be time, gotta slam this out because game's in progress...

We're a coterie of vampires, very loyal to the local Invictus/government.  We encountered a werewolf cub in a previous session.  Stuff happened, one of our characters died.

Last session, it came back.  It's a vampire.  A vampiric child... as some occult checks informed us... is BAD.
Too busy to talk No time to explain, it's BAD BAD BAD, literally the Children's crusade, can never happen, owls??, and we asked my character's wise mentor primarch, a FANATIC primarch, and he was basically "Uh!  Hm...  You could just kill it."

"Or I guess you could go to Raleigh?"

what do we do
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which to admit even professional work typically just make the door somehow magically protected.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, so it's a child which is both a werewolf and a vampire? Is it bad news in terms of being stupid OP or something else? If you can kill it, do that.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

The vampiric Beast consumed the werewolf's moon-touched spirit.  She's now a vampire completely, also a child.
And it's soooo bad news.

My character recently established status in the Invictus after ~100 years of ghouldom/vampiric servitude, and then was a war hero against some hunters.

Now this.
The Invictus miiiiiight not stake us for harboring it, but they would definitely destroy the abomination.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you can't kill it, run far away!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you can't kill it, run far away!

The problem is dnd typically has a "If you learn you cannot win, you are already dead"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He's playing world of darkness tho.

And I'd think that learning that things are able to kill you by getting killed by them is caused by players charging ahead, not bothering to scout or research their opponents, all because GMs are unwilling to actually present threats that could kill the party. If you carefully design every encounter to be just a little weaker than the party, there's no penalty for just charging ahead, and no reason to do anything but mindlessly kill whatever is in front of you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

One of my bloodbound NPC ghouls gave the abomination some Dora The Explorer DVDs.
Our Nosferatu argued for the things existence, but with less and less conviction.
As Alder of the Invictus, commander of this Nosferatu mercenary, I insisted that this was my call, and I'd take full responsibility.
Our Nosferatu stood aside.
The child turned toward me as I entered the room, and explained the concept of Dora the Explorah.  In some detail.
Using an understanding of human-like interaction I gained by draining life from two poets, I expressed interest as well.

I took aim for three rounds of Dora The Explorer, and staked her.

One the way out, one of my ghouls asked why we did this thing!
Said nosferatu intimidated the impetuous ghoul with a vicious tirade, ironic given her earlier reluctance for this plan.  The poor ghoul dropped the bag of starbursts she was bringing for the kid.  She had brought the Dora DVDs also, earlier.

We located a box in our mansion large enough, and loaded the staked vampire-kid.
We went to the Bank of America building.
She/they

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fun idea: World of Darkness character that uses Dungeons and Dragons stats for a Vampire.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

One of my bloodbound NPC ghouls gave the abomination some Dora The Explorer DVDs.
Our Nosferatu argued for the things existence, but with less and less conviction.
As Alder of the Invictus, commander of this Nosferatu mercenary, I insisted that this was my call, and I'd take full responsibility.
Our Nosferatu stood aside.
The child turned toward me as I entered the room, and explained the concept of Dora the Explorah.  In some detail.
Using an understanding of human-like interaction I gained by draining life from two poets, I expressed interest as well.

I took aim for three rounds of Dora The Explorer, and staked her.

One the way out, one of my ghouls asked why we did this thing!
Said nosferatu intimidated the impetuous ghoul with a vicious tirade, ironic given her earlier reluctance for this plan.  The poor ghoul dropped the bag of starbursts she was bringing for the kid.  She had brought the Dora DVDs also, earlier.

We located a box in our mansion large enough, and loaded the staked vampire-kid.
We went to the Bank of America building.

Envisions a perverse parody of Dora the Explorer, with a clearly vampiric Dora shouting "STAKER! NO STAKING!! STAKER, NO STAKING!!" just be fore she goes feral from hunger, and devours her little monkey sidekick.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Hey all, a question here.

I'm making a class for a Pathfinder game on Mythweavers. It's essentially Falloutfinder (Dungeons and Fallout?), being sort of an alternate continuity where the Great War happened a little differently because of a giant portal to Basically Hell. All the Pathfinder stuff came about from latent magic and whatnot. He's using a few rule variants like Piecemeal Armor, Stamina, and P6, but most importantly - it's Gestalt.

I really want to do a Witch/Wizard, preferably Herb Witch, but I'm open to other things. GM says Paizo only unless you run it by him first. Any suggestions for archetypes I could use?
Black lives matter.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Hey all, a question here.

I'm making a class for a Pathfinder game on Mythweavers. It's essentially Falloutfinder (Dungeons and Fallout?), being sort of an alternate continuity where the Great War happened a little differently because of a giant portal to Basically Hell. All the Pathfinder stuff came about from latent magic and whatnot. He's using a few rule variants like Piecemeal Armor, Stamina, and P6, but most importantly - it's Gestalt.

I really want to do a Witch/Wizard, preferably Herb Witch, but I'm open to other things. GM says Paizo only unless you run it by him first. Any suggestions for archetypes I could use?

Why not do an Alchemist/Witch instead? If it's P6, Herb Witch takes away 50% of your total hexes, and that's really not something you want as a Witch. Alchemist gets you a lot of witch-brew goodies and you can also throw bombs (or trade those in for Vivisectionist sneak attacks, depending on what kind of witch you'd like to be). Imagine grabbing the flight hex and doing bombing runs on unsuspecting fools at level 5 from the back of your broomstick!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:33:32 am by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 623