Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 137

Author Topic: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯):IC Tick ?:Who art thou?  (Read 185726 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (16/⊕∵↯):IC Tick 1:Creation
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2015, 04:03:45 pm »

"We are at an issue. Perhaps tiebreaker. Simplicity needed. Simple- two planets. Sphere sun in between. Planets orbit sun and rotate. Simple better. Another idea. When a sentient being dies, if that being is virtuous by several gods' standards, that being goes to the other world. Otherwise we take the essence for our own purposes. Odd. I am gaining in complexity."
"Suitable proposal. Would support provided planets have at least one moon each."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2015, 04:04:39 pm »

"To you, Izgamlo, it brings options for any magic you may want to add. For example, you could decide that something only works when a moon is in zenith on a silvernight. If that's not enough, since you seem quite ambivalent, I could just owe you the favour of your support on the idea. Bribery is an ugly word, but I'll help you if you help me."
Ultimately, such effects can be replicated by other means, such as stellar constellations. I find the sense of timelessness that can be evoked by a lack of clear delineation of time to be more interesting in effects it could have on magic use, how do you deal with the fact that a spell lasts a week if there is no week?

Further, due to the nature of the torus, traveling from one end to the other would involve much longer distances than a conventional planet, since the entire structure is stretched out over a orbit. This would popularize the use of portals to get anywhere in any appreciable amount of time, and gives me a lot of material to work with when tweaking space. The torus is just more appealing to me.

As such, voting in favour of Torus

"We are at an issue. Perhaps tiebreaker. Simplicity needed. Simple- two planets. Sphere sun in between. Planets orbit sun and rotate. Simple better. Another idea. When a sentient being dies, if that being is virtuous by several gods' standards, that being goes to the other world. Otherwise we take the essence for our own purposes. Odd. I am gaining in complexity."
What happens to souls after creatures die is a unrelated issue that we should tackle at a later time I think. Unless we did something silly like making a planet out of the souls of the dead.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2015, 04:05:47 pm »

"Agreed for that. Torus not good, however. I vote against Torus."
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2015, 04:13:06 pm »

"Izgamlo, please listen more closely. What you replied to was my argument on a day-night cycle, not a planetary shape. And no, what happens to souls is very much an issue to be tackled around this time, as our solar system's form may or may not affect it.
Supporters of the toroid shape, remember that you can just band together and create the planet by yourselves if it's so important. Just know that I will not waste my Essence any more than is necessary.
"
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2015, 04:13:54 pm »

"What more do we really need other than a simple sphere, with other spheres orbiting around it?"

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2015, 04:15:40 pm »

I will obviously vote in favor of my own proposal, a single planet will allow for a greater cohesion between species than the same amount of territory split on many planets. I believe the advantages easily outweigh any additional costs it might cause. The novelty appeal is just a bonus.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:17:29 pm by FArgHalfnr »
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2015, 04:17:30 pm »

"Izgamlo, please listen more closely. What you replied to was my argument on a day-night cycle, not a planetary shape.
What's your point? I responded with why I didn't value a day-night cycle. Then after that I explained why I valued a torus system and was thus voting for it.

"What more do we really need other than a simple sphere, with other spheres orbiting around it?"
Some creativity?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2015, 04:18:26 pm »

"Agreed."

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2015, 04:20:09 pm »

"Creativity does not necessarily benefit our as yet unborn children."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2015, 04:21:21 pm »

"Creativity does not necessarily benefit our asyet unborn children."
I could turn that around and say that neither does a lack of it. Why would a sphere surrounded by lesser sycophantic spheres be better for our creations?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2015, 04:24:18 pm »

I could turn that around and say that neither does a lack of it. Why would a sphere surrounded by lesser sycophantic spheres be better for our creations?
"By extension of it being better for us, if I may turn it around again. If only through saving resources for other projects, such as said creations."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:26:36 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2015, 04:26:55 pm »

"We are still required to decide. If we wish to achieve our goals, we will need a world, or many, to do it in. On? Odd. I am gaining yet more in complexity. Anyway. Without cooperation we will have a difficult time creating a noteworthy world... or any world at all. Excuse me."

A whirling clatter of gears is heard, then a board materializes in the void, made from black smoke.

___
Torus World:
Sphere System:
___

"A tallying will be done. Majority rule."
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2015, 04:27:21 pm »

"How about a single star with a single planet and a single moon. The moon slowly orbits outward. The planet slowly gains mass. Eventually resulting in portals needed to get anywhere, as well as effectively infinite space and a stable moon."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2015, 04:31:25 pm »

"By extension of it being better for us, if I may turn it around again. If only through saving resources for other projects, such as said creations."
Certainly, for those who find utility in spheres. I can understand the value you place on a day-night cycle, even if I don't share that opinion. However, I can't see any obvious use Uztot might get from such a planetary configuration. The only real use he might get from events at the planetary scale is if planet made up of blood was created. In addition, the torus system can only be considered more resource intensive if you wish to add a day-night cycle, which Uztot might not value as much as you.

"How about a single star with a single planet and a single moon. The moon slowly orbits outward. The planet slowly gains mass. Eventually resulting in portals needed to get anywhere, as well as effectively infinite space and a stable moon."
Gravity would become a problem eventually, lest the creatures living on the surface get crushed under their own weight.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2015, 04:35:17 pm »

___
Torus World:
Sphere System: Nilva, Gai-gen
___

"This is simply for the purpose of deciding if we want a torus world or a sphere system. Personally, I find value in a sphere system, rather than the more complex torus. Also. I do not understand why growth in the world or worlds is wanted. Elaborate. Hm. Complexity increases."
Generic Arms Race.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 137