Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 137

Author Topic: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯):IC Tick ?:Who art thou?  (Read 185853 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯):IC Tick 16.4: WHAAAAAG!
« Reply #1800 on: August 01, 2015, 12:10:04 am »

"I'm curious whether you know enough about the systems to create this 'metamagic'. It's all there for the curious to find, I know, but I haven't released every detail about totem magic just yet."
"Similarly to ritual magic not having a spell until a spell is made, fill-in-the-blanks and/or revisionism is probably a thing that will have always have happened as needed to fit updates.  Or new forms of magic.  Because while I just said that there were too many, there's still nothing incorporating proper logic statements.  Really, it's just saying, "All magic is the same underlying stuff accomplished in different ways."  Which really does need to be said."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:11:46 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: August 01, 2015, 12:16:20 am »

"...be that as it may, Mavnon...it is not a matter of misconduct...it is a matter of the threat he poses...though one might consider his inanity to be criminal in how profoundly it annoys...

...newest god...to create a system capable of so much variety as you seem to desire...is prohibitively expensive for the most of us...not to mention unnecessary...and in some cases...harmful..."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 01, 2015, 12:40:33 am »

"...be that as it may, Mavnon...it is not a matter of misconduct...it is a matter of the threat he poses...though one might consider his inanity to be criminal in how profoundly it annoys...

...newest god...to create a system capable of so much variety as you seem to desire...is prohibitively expensive for the most of us...not to mention unnecessary...and in some cases...harmful..."

((Second-newest.))
"It's not a new system, per se, but the underpinnings that would connect existing systems.  And theoretically allow for additions, but those come later."
"Harmful?  Elaborate, please."
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 01, 2015, 01:18:37 am »

"...you see...no potential for misuse...of these magical systems working together...in manners they were not designed to...?...each system has it's own safeguards and prevention systems...much of which is a restriction who can use it...or what it is fueled by...if you remove those...it is removing the safety limiter...and running any number of risks...there is no need for a universal magic system...it would be merely for convenience...and change nothing...at least, not for the better..."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 01, 2015, 08:01:47 am »

"Considering that eventually, somebody was probably going to try it, it's better to have the interactions between the systems be predictable.  Any metamagic layer can't make overly fundamental changes, like changing use restrictions or greatly changing possible effects, nor will it overrule whatever limits and caps already exist inside said systems.  The most I think this might do, is allow pyromancers to create other forms of energy than straight fire."
"And no, I don't see any more potential for misuse than that which already exists, because if someone was going to exploit magic systems like that, they would still do it."
Sigtext

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 01, 2015, 11:35:06 am »

"...I do not foresee the misuse being intentional..."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 01, 2015, 11:50:10 am »

I am personally very curious to see the results. For a large scale project such as this one, I would recommend dividing the task in multiple steps. I would also recommend asking the help of gods with relevant aspects, as they can provide a discount to the project without needing to involve themselves in any way.

I would also be curious to know how do you plan to integrate future systems to this. Would that require some effort from the creator, or would that be handled by you? I have been thinking about devising a magic system designed to work especially well with science, something that would make technomancy much easier and useful. This isn't something I plan to do in the near future, I have way too many projects going on and it is still a draft.

And if you need help concerning art magic, I might be able to provide some help. I do not know to what extend information regarding it is available to everyone, but I do understand it's functioning well due to my involvement in it's creation.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 01, 2015, 12:00:27 pm »

I am personally very curious to see the results. For a large scale project such as this one, I would recommend dividing the task in multiple steps. I would also recommend asking the help of gods with relevant aspects, as they can provide a discount to the project without needing to involve themselves in any way.

I would also be curious to know how do you plan to integrate future systems to this. Would that require some effort from the creator, or would that be handled by you? I have been thinking about devising a magic system designed to work especially well with science, something that would make technomancy much easier and useful. This isn't something I plan to do in the near future, I have way too many projects going on and it is still a draft.

And if you need help concerning art magic, I might be able to provide some help. I do not know to what extend information regarding it is available to everyone, but I do understand it's functioning well due to my involvement in it's creation.

"Thanks for the advice.  As it happens, I was going to do technomancy as soon as this was finished.  In theory, once the framework is built, new magics will simply take the path of least resistance, in that metamagic will have provided a framework within which to construct new methods of thaumaturgy, sort of like a coding language as opposed to machine language."
==Revision Of Action==
Expending Essence as required, or to current reserves, establish a basic thaumic unit/field, similarly to the Higgs field (permeates everything and gives it thaumaturgical "mass").  Make it such that all current magics can, in fact, work by affecting said field.
"I would appreciate help, but I really don't know who to ask."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:06:59 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: August 01, 2015, 02:55:10 pm »

Izgamlo has magic as one of his aspects, otherwise there are plenty of gods that could help when dealing with specific systems. I propose that we work together for the technomancy-attuned one but as I said earlier I cannot invest resources right now due to my other projects, so I would recommend waiting before we start.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 01, 2015, 06:57:04 pm »

"Izgamlo, apparently you can help with this project?  Also, anyone else who wants to help, I would appreciate any assistance, material or otherwise.  Even just showing up.  Because more gods working, even if only one is funding the project, somehow lowers the costs.  Probably something to do with Humes, if we can consider a unit that doesn't even necessarily exist in this universe as a measure.  Is there a system to measure how malleable reality is...Later, later.  So many things I want to do, so little power to do them with!"
"Right.  If you all don't mind, Izgamlo, Lorash, Char, Aurosseau, Illiseth, Teburshe, Alicia, I would appreciate your help with this work as it is, in the end, your stuff that I'm working with, even as I'm creating something new.  I don't know if I will need any more Essence, but hopefully with a large number of gods working on it, the system should move more smoothly..."

((You know, this is kind of in both of my aspects.  If you consider discovering laws of nature inventing, which I kind of do.))
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:03:23 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 01, 2015, 07:49:41 pm »

"Izgamlo, apparently you can help with this project?  Also, anyone else who wants to help, I would appreciate any assistance, material or otherwise.  Even just showing up.  Because more gods working, even if only one is funding the project, somehow lowers the costs.  Probably something to do with Humes, if we can consider a unit that doesn't even necessarily exist in this universe as a measure.  Is there a system to measure how malleable reality is...Later, later.  So many things I want to do, so little power to do them with!"
"Right.  If you all don't mind, Izgamlo, Lorash, Char, Aurosseau, Illiseth, Teburshe, Alicia, I would appreciate your help with this work as it is, in the end, your stuff that I'm working with, even as I'm creating something new.  I don't know if I will need any more Essence, but hopefully with a large number of gods working on it, the system should move more smoothly..."

((You know, this is kind of in both of my aspects.  If you consider discovering laws of nature inventing, which I kind of do.))
"I can give moral support!"

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 01, 2015, 07:55:38 pm »

"Also you can give Essence.  You know, because you have some and aren't currently using it."
Sigtext

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: August 01, 2015, 08:33:03 pm »

Order a nationwide ban on mavnon's board games. Make his worship, along with patronius' and utther's illegal if it isn't already. Appear to the Aag nation for a public service announcement:

I have taken measures to end any threat towards our nation. The board games were made illegal due to the conflict inducing abilities they were infused with, they are all to be destroyed. The ban on worship on our three enemies were made because allowing them lo leech anything form us is intolerable. I have several projects underway that will contribute to our already large advantage. As those of you who have been watching the obelisk know, mavnon had planned a murder attempt towards Luthus. This was made impossible by a combination of politics, threats and measures that I will not reveal for now. utther has also weaseled out of his punishment, but he will not be able to harm us either. patronius is still insisting on allying with mavnon despite knowing her despicable and destructive nature, and so is to be treated as an enemy. Those who seek a more complete report may seek the obelisk.

As for the better news, two new gods came to be, each with interests compatible with our cause. Cooperation is to be expected in the future. I have also taken measures to put an end to the new kingdom's endless assaults. Several projects are also underway as mentioned earlier, each with many expected benefits.

Return to the assembly as Luthus:

Mavnon, I expect you to take real actions against the new kingdom as soon as your message fails to have any effect. I will not forget what I told you, you are better not to. I will expect frequent progress reports if you choose not to perform your actions publicly, you do not want me to think you are not doing anything. I also expect your orcs to leave the Aag desert entirely. They will soon loose their only advantage, and you will not want them to be caught if you have an ounce of empathy for them.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:22:19 am by FArgHalfnr »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 01, 2015, 08:47:23 pm »

"...Really, banning board games?  Seems kind of harsh.  They promote creative thinking, as well..."
Sigtext

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 01, 2015, 08:58:45 pm »

"Also you can give Essence.  You know, because you have some and aren't currently using it."
"I am using my essence in my robot project right now."
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 137