Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 808176 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #5670 on: March 23, 2016, 10:48:31 am »

Doesn't negate Lone Wanderer, I mean. Since Dogmeat also takes up a slot but doesn't negate Lone Wanderer.
Black lives matter.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: March 23, 2016, 12:34:12 pm »

They take up a slot, are noisy, get in the way of your shots, and are generally just like other companions.

However, they can have a stealth field, which affects you, (not them ?), we've not tried it yet, but It's certainly worth trying.

Oh, and Officer Smashy McSmash would like a word with you if you don't find Automatron fun. We had so many laughs just beetling about with random(ish) designs last night.

[edit]
Just stay away from dead/dying robots if you're not decked out from head to toe in armour. Especially legendaries. their explode radius is huge.
you can actually use this to your advantage by sending your robot in to get killed, then when they explode (if they have the right bodies) they take out most of the enemies in one go.
Are you using the royal we?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: March 23, 2016, 12:38:41 pm »

I think the robots can be built for stealthy combat, they have a melee weapon option that is specifically meant to be silent and stealthy, but I doubt they'll be that great at it since they're still just NPCs and don't know how to exploit the stealth mechanics the way players can.

Really the robots are good for carrying stuff and being a source of customisable damage. Also they look awesome.

I'm still tinkering with Codsworth to decide what kind of weapons I prefer him to have. Currently have him as a Sentry Bot with a gatling laser, missile launcher and a pair of mini nuke mortars. He can do a lot of damage at range, but he's slow, takes ages to kill things in close combat and gets swarmed easily.

I'm thinking of swapping him over to a thruster propelled blade wielding assaultron build.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: March 23, 2016, 04:20:45 pm »

They take up a slot, are noisy, get in the way of your shots, and are generally just like other companions.

However, they can have a stealth field, which affects you, (not them ?), we've not tried it yet, but It's certainly worth trying.

Oh, and Officer Smashy McSmash would like a word with you if you don't find Automatron fun. We had so many laughs just beetling about with random(ish) designs last night.

[edit]
Just stay away from dead/dying robots if you're not decked out from head to toe in armour. Especially legendaries. their explode radius is huge.
you can actually use this to your advantage by sending your robot in to get killed, then when they explode (if they have the right bodies) they take out most of the enemies in one go.

Can't forget about your political body I guess.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5674 on: March 23, 2016, 06:37:38 pm »

[edit]

LOL, sorry, I tend to play games with my brother quite a bit, either he plays and I watch, or I play and he watches, but we both decide what we're doing.

Anyway, having just completed the Mechanist quest, I can say with certainty, it's well worth the price. some lovely bits of lore, and at times, total carnage. 10\10 will have fun with all the robot parts now :D

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: March 23, 2016, 06:58:11 pm »

I'm still tinkering with Codsworth to decide what kind of weapons I prefer him to have. Currently have him as a Sentry Bot with a gatling laser, missile launcher and a pair of mini nuke mortars. He can do a lot of damage at range, but he's slow, takes ages to kill things in close combat and gets swarmed easily.

Wait.. Can Codsworth be modified with this? :o

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: March 23, 2016, 07:00:56 pm »

Overall I like the DLC, but I would like the questline to be longer. Even compared to things like Dawnguard in Skyrim it felt really short, though it probably did add more material that'll actually affect gameplay than Dawnguard did.  :P

Being able to customize and create robots is a really nice thing, though it does require a specific set of talents to really exploit. Granted most of the perks needed are ones I pick anyway, but it'll really be a drag to people who have different playstyles to me.

I think that the different robot part types could be a bit more balanced between each other. I get that there's something of a mechanical hierarchy going on, but as it is there's basically no reason to ever use protectron parts or any handy part other than the thruster as far as I can tell.

Wait.. Can Codsworth be modified with this? :o

Yep. All his parts can be swapped out for other ones. His voice stays the same and he doesn't get any new dialogue when changed sadly. Curie however cannot be customised, probably to avoid any bugs involving her companion quest.

It's rather fun to have Codsworth's english butler voice coming out of a 7 foot tall spiky war machine with a skull face.  :D
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: March 23, 2016, 07:04:42 pm »

I think that the different robot part types could be a bit more balanced between each other. I get that there's something of a mechanical hierarchy going on, but as it is there's basically no reason to ever use protectron parts or any handy part other than the thruster as far as I can tell.

There is already a mod on the Nexus which makes the armor on all part types equal to each other.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11209/?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: March 23, 2016, 07:31:25 pm »

Keep in mind, however, that if you modify Codsworth you can no longer have him wear bowler hats and such. Which is terrible.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: March 23, 2016, 07:43:10 pm »

There is already a mod on the Nexus which makes the armor on all part types equal to each other.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11209/?

It's not the armour that bugs me, since that's barely relevant anyway, it's the speed/maneuverability/accuracy differences. Protectron is bad even as a generalist. It's only a little faster than robobrain treads and sentry bot legs, but has worse stats in everything but accuracy compared to assaultrons, so on and so forth. It's just got no real niche among the robot types. Not that it's alone on that account, but I don't mind each robot type having some bad options, but protectron parts all seem bad.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: March 25, 2016, 01:39:35 am »

I just wanted to let people know, as I haven't seen it reported anywhere yet, there appears to be a bug with custom names for automatron companions.  I took one of my robot buddies to help out with Kellog, when I went outside to *event* (not sure if it still counts as a spoiler, and I'm not interested in arguments) the custom name was replaced by 'Automatron' and I can no longer change that robot's name in the robotics station.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: March 25, 2016, 01:47:31 am »

Huh. Cool. Pip-Boy flashlight overhaul with a ton of different beam options. FO4 is now just a tiny bit more STALKER-ish.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: March 25, 2016, 02:16:43 am »

It has a while to go yet. :P

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: March 25, 2016, 06:11:21 am »

For those of you who has the Automatron DLC.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: March 26, 2016, 11:29:22 pm »

So, has anyone else playing Automatron run into the "Punish Timmy" bug? It's almost hilarious at times.
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 462