Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 811199 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: HYPE HAS CHANGED
« Reply #615 on: June 15, 2015, 03:21:02 pm »

Originally, if I recall correctly, the skills was in 1-100 because it was a percentile.

Originally, it was a percentile that went above 100. Because penalties to distance, targeting and stuff would bring the effective skill down, and it capped at 95.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 15, 2015, 03:28:02 pm »

Oh jah...  saw this picture in some Ars article on Bethseda E3.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Downloading that iThing app for it now.

NO ANDROID YET
RAWR

It's Progress Quest inspired, as stated in the talk.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 15, 2015, 03:30:41 pm »

I saw pistol whipping in the trailer. Eeeep.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 15, 2015, 03:33:33 pm »

I'm mildly interested due to the settlement and crafting systems. Curious to see if they'll make something interesting of it. The shooting looks improved over FO3 as well, as the enemies seem to react more. The graphics don't look as Bioshock Infinitey as it seemed from the trailer (which is good). And the power armour works a lot more like power armour.

Lots of things that look worsened as well, tho. Enemies spawning out of nowhere so you can't even try to avoid them (the molerats). Most likely simplified skill system. Dialogues limited to 4 vague choices (Bioware style). Semi pre-defined player character with voice acting suggests they'll be trying to focus on writing. And they're terrible at that. It also means mods with content are fucked, cause whether they'll leave the PC silent or try to VA them, it'll stick out and look worse.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 15, 2015, 03:36:29 pm »

Lots of things that look worsened as well, tho. Enemies spawning out of nowhere so you can't even try to avoid them (the molerats).
That part kind of seemed like a scripted event to me.
As to show the audience the V.A.T.S is till a part of the franchise.
But that's just how I see it so far.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 15, 2015, 03:37:48 pm »

I would personally would LIKE if the wasteland could be more unpredictable than it has been. Otherwise it's a lot of empty walking most of the time.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 15, 2015, 03:40:26 pm »

I would personally would LIKE if the wasteland could be more unpredictable than it has been. Otherwise it's a lot of empty walking most of the time.
Well I like to stalk my prey, see the enemy at a distance and possibly try to snipe them from afar.
I don't like random spawning from behind.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 15, 2015, 03:43:53 pm »

Originally, if I recall correctly, the skills was in 1-100 because it was a percentile.

Originally, it was a percentile that went above 100. Because penalties to distance, targeting and stuff would bring the effective skill down, and it capped at 95.
In the Black Isle games, it could go up to 300%. 3 and NV just realized this was unnecessary.

While it's possible a new skill system would "dumb down" the game, it could just be a re-streamlining, since most checks in 3 and NV were at multiples of either 25 (as said before) or 10 (as forgotten about).
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 15, 2015, 03:49:56 pm »

My only issue with that is the granularity of progression. Stat + Skill allows you to a more measured sense of progression (stats give you a noticable bump, skills less so.)

Then again, considering Skyrim did away with stats entirely, and just went with Skills / Perks, maybe they're effectively doing the same thing here. And I know from Skyrim that skill progression effectively felt worthless. What mattered was whether you had perks or not. It didn't leave me with a sense of progression in Skyrim, just very dramatic lurches between ineffective and way too effective once you'd bought a perk. Stealth was pretty much a joke under that design.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 15, 2015, 03:59:38 pm »

Well, here's to hoping Obsidian's inevitable F4 game will fix the whole skills situation.
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 15, 2015, 04:18:59 pm »

Well I like to stalk my prey, see the enemy at a distance and possibly try to snipe them from afar.
I don't like random spawning from behind.
IDK, that was always one of the most boring parts to me. With half-decent Perception you'd see every enemy on your compass long before you saw it, and you could just snipe them all from just inside the draw distance. Yawn. What I'm hoping is that there will be cases where animal spawns, rather than wandering around on the surface, are underground and only trigger if you walk close enough. Not random, just set up in a way that can take you out of your comfort zone.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 15, 2015, 04:21:26 pm »

In the Black Isle games, it could go up to 300%. 3 and NV just realized this was unnecessary.

While it's possible a new skill system would "dumb down" the game, it could just be a re-streamlining, since most checks in 3 and NV were at multiples of either 25 (as said before) or 10 (as forgotten about).

I covered the 10s with 15s, as those 10s are usually multiples of 15 (30, 45, 60, 90). Technically, they're multiples of 5 with HUGE gaps. In the end, each skill has only like 10 relevant milestones.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 15, 2015, 04:27:22 pm »

Well, Deathclaws can pop from the ground now.
My pants, they shall be shat.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 15, 2015, 04:52:33 pm »

I do hope that they aren't turned into 'better have that power armour or you'll get insta-killled!'
Because as cool looking as that finisher was, it did seem like the character was doing resonable damage to it, though it seemed to pretty much instantly kill him.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 15, 2015, 05:17:36 pm »

I do hope that they aren't turned into 'better have that power armour or you'll get insta-killled!'
Because as cool looking as that finisher was, it did seem like the character was doing resonable damage to it, though it seemed to pretty much instantly kill him.

Considering that the character was wearing the armored vault suit throughout the demo, he might just been underleveled, or his armor was shitty.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 462