Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 241

Author Topic: The Infinite Heavens: More than one way to skin a cat.  (Read 334380 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: The Infinite Heavens: Mobile Home
« Reply #1095 on: October 02, 2015, 06:46:34 am »

((That is true, next stop, put out fliers for some crew, and whenever another player comes on, PW can handwave it as 'they were always there'.
And in the case of people being killed who are not currently PCs, pack some redshirts in there.))

((It just so happens that I have a proper pirate-y banner to assemble a band of misfits around. I wanted to introduce it later, John would get some red cloth and paint on it with machine oil.))
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:51:02 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: October 02, 2015, 06:47:30 am »

((If our red shirts were 8 foot tall cyclops wolves I'd be much more confortable in life.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1097 on: October 02, 2015, 06:49:47 am »

((The problem is that putting too many PCs in the game can make it harder for piecewise. Remember Perplexicon? That way you can get a crew that can act on its own so that you don't have to wait for every single player to coordinate and then post an action. The crew essentially becomes part of the vehicle. Like in those space game where you have a "crew" resource that is like another component of the ship, rather than actual humans.

And I also want you to have expendable soldiers so that you can attack someone and die a horrible death so the wait list can move on and do something awesome so that everyone spreads rumors about those super special guys powerful enough to claim multiple heavens as their own.))

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: October 02, 2015, 06:52:59 am »

((I guess we could add the proposal to come with us as a final line of our talk with Lupine when trading is over))
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: October 02, 2015, 06:54:45 am »

((The problem is that putting too many PCs in the game can make it harder for piecewise. Remember Perplexicon? That way you can get a crew that can act on its own so that you don't have to wait for every single player to coordinate and then post an action. The crew essentially becomes part of the vehicle. Like in those space game where you have a "crew" resource that is like another component of the ship, rather than actual humans.

And I also want you to have expendable soldiers so that you can attack someone and die a horrible death so the wait list can move on and do something awesome so that everyone spreads rumors about those super special guys powerful enough to claim multiple heavens as their own.))
((No, see, those PCs won't be playing at all before a new position comes in, they'll just be background characters, working with the team in the giant beast but only controlled by PW.
You know the Game Masters theory? Every character is in quantum superposition until decided otherwise? This would be an extreme example of that, the replacements wouldn't even exist until they would be required.))
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: October 02, 2015, 06:59:12 am »

((No, see, those PCs won't be playing at all before a new position comes in, they'll just be background characters, working with the team in the giant beast but only controlled by PW.
You know the Game Masters theory? Every character is in quantum superposition until decided otherwise? This would be an extreme example of that, the replacements wouldn't even exist until they would be required.))
((This would restrict us to humanoid characters only, while on the waitlist we have other... embodiments of souls. They can be just as useful in gameplay normally, like Mr. Bird, but not that useful in operating the Warbeast.))
Sigs

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: October 02, 2015, 07:02:25 am »

((This would restrict us to humanoid characters only, while on the waitlist we have other... embodiments of souls. They can be just as useful in gameplay normally, like Mr. Bird, but not that useful in operating the Warbeast.))
((Who says they'll only encounter places like that? Perhaps a big group of embodied souls decided to settle down in an area, or perhaps they encounter a traveling caravan full of embodied souls, who knows, PW can do whatever the hell he wants in that game.))
Alan help.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: October 02, 2015, 07:09:15 am »

((Who says they'll only encounter places like that? Perhaps a big group of embodied souls decided to settle down in an area, or perhaps they encounter a traveling caravan full of embodied souls, who knows, PW can do whatever the hell he wants in that game.))
((What I'm saying is, once we pick them up, they could be as useful for maintaining Warbeast as Haast right now, which is hardly. He has no opposed thumbs and can hardly do things. How did PW phrased it, he is pretty much just a mascot at this point.))
Sigs

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: October 02, 2015, 07:10:59 am »

((What I'm saying is, once we pick them up, they could be as useful for maintaining Warbeast as Haast right now, which is hardly. He has no opposed thumbs and can hardly do things. How did PW phrased it, he is pretty much just a mascot at this point.))
((I'll just move this to PMs.))
Alan help.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: October 02, 2015, 07:13:13 am »

((Having the PCs exist on the Warbeast before actually being ingame would spoil the whole premise, though.))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: October 02, 2015, 07:15:26 am »

((Having the PCs exist on the Warbeast before actually being ingame would spoil the whole premise, though.))
((I thought the whole premise was a merry romp to find the first heaven, having schrodinger PCs wouldn't mess with that.))
Alan help.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: October 02, 2015, 07:16:35 am »

((Hitchhiking. Hitchhiking through the great Unknown.))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: October 02, 2015, 07:18:29 am »

((Mmm, probably, having a bunch of redshirts to staff the warbeast would mess with the message a bit.
Ahh well, let's see how it goes.
You know what? Let's ask PW, Yo, PW, wadd'ya think about this idea of using the warbeast as a party bus for background PCs?))
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:26:42 am by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
Alan help.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1108 on: October 02, 2015, 11:07:30 am »

"I am immediately incredibly jealous of him and desire to overtake him, but that's normal for me. But I know better than that - anyone known by a title like that has no doubt made plentiful use of the perception-shifting magic or whatever it is that I figured out. Too powerful to defeat for now.

Was the king a former mortal, like us?"

talkatalk
"He was not Hellborn, but I do not know what his mortal form was. Many have guessed, assumed he was Alexander the great or some other well known conqueror.I do not know though."
John sits by the improvised showcase and rests.

- I'm leaving the negotiations up to you guys, but feel free to throw in a few more spears or swords if this will sway them the right way - just explain that it would require me to make a roundtrip to get those. Also consider mentioning other stuff if this is necessary to get us what we want.

Look at the Lupine we are negotiating with. It was mentioned that they wear some sort of white cloaks, I believe? Are any of them different from others? Any obvious leader among them right now?
There are no obvious candidates for leaders here; no one with a big fancy hat to denote that at least. You do your best to see if they seem to be deferring to the opinions of any particular member of the group over any other but there seems to be no stand out there either. Maybe they don't have a leader?

Shrugging his shoulders and casting his eyes downward, Hyenakles adopts an almost folksy variation upon his typical hyena dialect. After a pause, during which he sort of paces a bit as if in thought, he addressed the Lupines.

"Look- Lupines. You're canids. I'm... Basically a canid. I might not know your language- our language?- but I do know that if you go far enough back, we might as well be family. I get where you're coming from- you're hard workers. You worked hard for that food, and I respect that. I respect it because I understand- folks like us value an honest living.

And that's why I'm offering you such a steal on these arms. These are top-notch weapons- and in this day and dimension, that may well make the difference between life and death. Your children's life and death. And what's more precious to you-those excess food stores, or your children?"

Finagle
Explain to the lupines that these are the weapons I spoke of, pointing at John's quaint storefront imitation. Handle trade negotiations.
[5]
Your rather lack luster attempts to sway their judgement seems to have paid off. They offer you a large supply of preserved food, water and alcohol in return for your cache of weapons.

"Sounds like we'll be passing through the empire at some point anyway, if we aren't already. Think you could take us to the center of it, if we wanted to go? And how did you end up on a jeep in the first place?"

Talky talky talky
"I could try, but such things may have shifted. It has been quite a long time."

"I was part of the crew on a war machine. We fought for many years but eventually the machine fell. I was scavenged from the wreckage by locals and passed through many hands and many machines until I wound up there. In the harshness of these hells, engine spirits are prized for our ability to keep machines running. I assume my brethren, if they survived, met similar fates."

Check the rifle for aiming. Is it just plain old iron sights, or is there a slider for different ranges? Root around corpses to see if there's a scope or something there.
It appears to have a space for a scope, or at least something, but as it is, all it has is  a simple iron sight. You root around but can find no scopes here. Hmm, the engine spirit did talk about how there must have been a battle near by. Maybe there's a battlefield you can scavenge?

((Mmm, probably, having a bunch of redshirts to staff the warbeast would mess with the message a bit.
Ahh well, let's see how it goes.
You know what? Let's ask PW, Yo, PW, wadd'ya think about this idea of using the warbeast as a party bus for background PCs?))
My problem is: What happens if the warbeast dies? Or if you guys get attacked? Shouldn't some crew die in the attack? Do I just kill off waitlisters? If the war beast dies, we'd be left with a giant crowd to account for.

I like the idea in it's way, but I think I'd prefer to keep things as they are. Because there are definite benefits to having characters come in from the civs you visit. Namely, it's a way to get information on the area since I can give those players inside info that they would know.  Like Mr.Bird's ability to speak the Lupine language, for instance.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: October 02, 2015, 11:27:05 am »

- So it's a deal. Very well! But before we depart with the goods, Mr. Bird, could you ask them if any of their people want to come with us? Maybe somebody has severe wanderlust, or maybe they would like to send someone away for a long time for whatever reason.

Pass on the weapons, acquire mentioned supplies and load them carefully into the jeep. Make sure we carry them safely, make several trips there and back if necessary. When done, make sure everyone is in the car and start off a trip back to the woods, to home-sweet-destructive-mobile-home.

I like the idea in it's way, but I think I'd prefer to keep things as they are. Because there are definite benefits to having characters come in from the civs you visit. Namely, it's a way to get information on the area since I can give those players inside info that they would know.  Like Mr.Bird's ability to speak the Lupine language, for instance.
((That's a good point - it is extremely convenient to get info on what we're dealing with in this particular place via not dangerous interaction))
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 11:35:23 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 241