Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1683980 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2925 on: June 23, 2016, 05:56:19 am »

I slowed down the colonization boom with a quick fix mod that massively lowered population growth.  The problem isn't that it's too easy to grab planets, it's that they become full populated in four years.  Lower the growth to 1 pop in 30 years and land grab stops being automatic victory.  It's still easy to beat the AI but it takes longer.
That sounds like it would actually make migration worth the effort

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: June 23, 2016, 06:13:32 am »

I've kinda grown bored to EU4 and HOI3... The AI just isnt competitive or immersive and both games are relatively simple beneath the seemingly complex surface. How would you judge Stellaris relative to EU4/Hoi3 or even 4, as it is now or in future potential?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: June 23, 2016, 07:21:31 am »

now is worse than how both were at their beginning. potential depends. I heard paradox is going trough an acquisition which would make any bet on any long term future moot

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: June 23, 2016, 07:48:17 am »

I slowed down the colonization boom with a quick fix mod that massively lowered population growth.  The problem isn't that it's too easy to grab planets, it's that they become full populated in four years.  Lower the growth to 1 pop in 30 years and land grab stops being automatic victory.  It's still easy to beat the AI but it takes longer.
That sounds like it would actually make migration worth the effort

Yeah but unfortunately it's really hard to tweak the migration system to work.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2929 on: June 23, 2016, 08:00:03 am »

AI is pretty bad at the moment, but 1.2 should bring it up to par with other Pdox games. There's also craptons of other content missing.
Not to say the game's bad, not by any stretch. Not as good as EU4 or HOI4 (HOI4 was remarkably polished at launch) but after a few patches and DLC it should be comparable in terms of quality. Beyond that it's mostly down to personal preference.

I heard paradox is going trough an acquisition which would make any bet on any long term future moot
Wait, what? Where did you hear this?

Yeah but unfortunately it's really hard to tweak the migration system to work.
Oh yeah, I was just thinking about that earlier. Had one planet with loads of labs, and wanted the intelligent crab people I'd just annexed to move there, but my native humans kept hopping in instead. Would be really nice to set migration laws on a per-planet and per-species basis.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2931 on: June 23, 2016, 12:24:54 pm »

There was a fight, now deleted, after the comment above.  Let's now enter an alternate timeline where the fight doesn't happen.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: June 23, 2016, 12:41:40 pm »

TIMELINE JUMP IN 5,4,3,2,1...JUMP!

I've got to say the Asimov patch is looking better and better - they're managing to tackle some of the major issues and they seem to be conscious that they need to make some pretty sweeping changes. I'm especially interested to see how the diplomatic events turn out - granted it'll just be a small chain of events that'll get repetitive, but it might shake stuff up sufficiently mid game to make things more interesting on multiple playthroughs.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: June 23, 2016, 12:43:12 pm »

I haven't tried it yet.  How are the nomads?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2934 on: June 23, 2016, 12:46:14 pm »

The beta patch is interesting but there are some oddities.

Having a vassal creates a protection treaty with them that costs 1 influence to maintain, forever. So vassals now have a cost to keep.

Spiritual pops get negative ethics divergence, which makes some sense when in a spiritualist empire since that negative ethics divergence will help keep them spiritual. But conquered spiritualist pops still get that negative divergence, even in a non-spiritual empire. This means being spiritual will actually help conquered pops integrate more quickly into your empire of slaves or militant materialists or whatever

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: June 23, 2016, 12:49:32 pm »

Having a vassal creates a protection treaty with them that costs 1 influence to maintain, forever. So vassals now have a cost to keep.

Ugh.  I swear balance does more harm then good with paradox.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: June 23, 2016, 12:51:39 pm »

Ugh.  I swear balance does more harm then good with paradox.

To admit Stellaris doesn't have to be balanced in my mind.

It just needs the balance not to be broken in a few instances.

Vassals having a cost just feels WEIRD... I'd rather them give ways for vassals to betray you then to give it an influence cost.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: June 24, 2016, 08:42:18 pm »

I'd like to see them add a system where you can start in a similar situation to Japan in EU. Where, say, Earth is technically a different empire, and you as America and the AI or other humans as Russia and China or Britain or whatever, and you have a extra layer of political intrigue to navigate through before you can take over the whole empire and play normally.

I think it'd play quite nicely, especially if you can colonize in the same system as another "sub-empire" or whatever.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2938 on: June 24, 2016, 08:49:04 pm »

I'd like to see them add a system where you can start in a similar situation to Japan in EU. Where, say, Earth is technically a different empire, and you as America and the AI or other humans as Russia and China or Britain or whatever, and you have a extra layer of political intrigue to navigate through before you can take over the whole empire and play normally.

I think it'd play quite nicely, especially if you can colonize in the same system as another "sub-empire" or whatever.
Sorta like Merchant Republics in CKII (CKII really set the bar, geez). Multiple factions all vying for dominance, united against outsiders but also vying for dominance within. It would also allow you to start the game as one of a fragmented nation

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: June 24, 2016, 09:02:04 pm »

(I don't have Stellaris)
I sorta expected that from Stellaris, honestly.  Crusader Kings 2 in space, emphasis on the *brilliant* and unique tiered allegiance system.
Which might seem naive or even blind, except for all the hype about cultural splinters and uplifting civilizations.  It sounds like there's *some* vassalization, but nothing on the order that I expected.

Though LW's tales of using uplifted civilizations were pretty neat.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 632