Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679457 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1245 on: April 01, 2016, 03:59:13 am »

I wonder if the game will have Mineral-based lifeforms/species to choose from.

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: April 01, 2016, 05:22:27 am »

Purging is tied to being xenophobe and I don't expect xenophobes to be capable of integrating other species into your realm peacefully.
Well, that sucks. I wanna be a genocidal maniac but I wanna be sneaky about it. There should be a way to limit population growth of other species up to the point of outlawing their reproduction Combine style.
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: April 01, 2016, 07:27:22 am »

Purging is tied to being xenophobe and I don't expect xenophobes to be capable of integrating other species into your realm peacefully.
Well, that sucks. I wanna be a genocidal maniac but I wanna be sneaky about it. There should be a way to limit population growth of other species up to the point of outlawing their reproduction Combine style.
I saw a slave reproduction edict/law in the stream, so...
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: April 01, 2016, 08:21:03 am »

But it'd make sense if you were barred from explicitly xenocidal options (i.e. enslave/purge) if you lack the Xenophobe trait.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: April 01, 2016, 09:31:47 am »

It seems like there is a large strategic advantage in generally avoiding contact with other civilizations (with caveats).

After full-annexing one neighbor, the Blorg got a large Threat modifier (equiv. to AE/infamy/bb/whatever) with all their remaining diplomatic contacts (smaller for non-adjacents, of course. By about half.) All those contacts then joined an alliance together.

But when the Blorg encountered a new contact, the new contact had no Threat modifier (and it was just as close to the Blorg as the other non-adjacent neighbors).

Further, the Blorg received no benefit from being in contact with all of those neighbors. I suppose they could designate them Rivals for the purpose of generating Influence, although even one or two adjacent rivals seemed sufficient what the Blorg were doing. Maybe a lot more resettlement could have required significantly more influence. But it's not like the Blorg were trading or otherwise dealing with those non-adjacent neighbors, whom they now have to fight in their next war.

Maybe the fact that there's limited choice in contacting non-adjacent neighbors means this is a moot point. A couple times, the Blorg were contacted via some kind of MTTH-delayed "adjacent to adjacent" contact. But regardless, it makes the game much different than, say, EU4. Imagine if in EU4, you didn't start with knowledge of your own continent. You could freely conquer everyone around you, only causing AE with people who knew you existed.

But regardless, I've started to have some doubts that this game will actually be very fun, because the number of other "players" (AI or whatever) is so small in the early game. And Martin said they were playing with a very high number of empires for the size of the map. If this is a "crowded" game, I can't imagine how little there will be to do on a "normal" map.

My other concern is that there is a lot of pointless clicking to upgrade planets, even on the limited number of home systems the player controls directly. Instead of thinking that every planet is like a province, we should be thinking that every planet tile is like in a province insofar as the number of clicks it requires to manage it. Development+estates in EU4 is already a nightmare of pointless yet mandatory clicking, and Stellaris is starting to look just as bad, if not worse.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:33:18 am by ZeroGravitas »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: April 01, 2016, 09:36:35 am »

I certainly think that this game is doing quite a bit of blending between 4x games and their traditional grand strategy games. It definitely seems that at least in the early game if you're a fan of grand strategy but dislike 4x games you're not going to enjoy it that much. And perhaps the other way around will be true as well. (In that fans of 4x games that don't like grand stratagy might not enjoy the mid game, although we've yet to see what the mid game really consists of) Luckily for me, I enjoy both types of games, so it doesn't really bother me.

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 01, 2016, 02:48:41 pm »

I'm actually looking forward to the game less having watched their streams again.  Especially the bullshit border system. 
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 01, 2016, 03:01:47 pm »

What part of the border system do you dislike? I have to admit, I found the idea that you could claim worlds (and indeed have a back and forth based on influence level) without building anything in them a interesting choice, although it makes a bit more sense since each race is going to be able to only colonize a small faction of planets at the start. So I guess it allows you to sorta "claim" future expansion without having to really scrabble for it with other races.

I wonder how far culture wars are going to go. Like, if you can push your borders all the way into enemy planets that are actually colonized?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 03:05:48 pm by Criptfeind »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 01, 2016, 03:20:53 pm »

I'm actually looking forward to the game less having watched their streams again.  Especially the bullshit border system.
There was a great big shitstorm on their forums about it, so it will get better.

What part of the border system do you dislike? I have to admit, I found the idea that you could claim worlds (and indeed have a back and forth based on influence level) without building anything in them a interesting choice, although it makes a bit more sense since each race is going to be able to only colonize a small faction of planets at the start. So I guess it allows you to sorta "claim" future expansion without having to really scrabble for it with other races.
The thing that really set a lot of people off was how the creation of a foreign colony undid the construction of a blorg starbase in an adjacent system. There's a lot of non-specific quibbling about the rigidity of borders in general, though.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 01, 2016, 03:33:18 pm »

Honestly, they could just add in a CB just for that. Gives interesting expansion option for those in an alliance since its justified as a defensive war if they try to fight you over your rampant colonization on claimed space.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 01, 2016, 03:39:47 pm »

Hum. If I recall, the space station wasn't actually built, so it was sorta a race to claim the space, which the lizards won, and then the building of an outpost was canceled (probably because you can't build space claiming outposts in other people space?) which seems fair enough to me, unless I'm missing something. Although if you can build space claiming outposts in others space (probably if you're at war with them?) that does sorta suck, and hopefully they'll add the ability to immediately declare war instead of having your ship forced to retreat.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 01, 2016, 03:48:35 pm »

I don't mind that. I kind of assume that we humans have kind of "claimed" everything within 20LY of Proxima Centauri, and we don't even have the tech or resources to get to these places easily, let alone have any actual presence there. Unless the military has been doing cool shit for the last 30-40 years (actually quite likely).

It'll be interesting in our first steps in interstellar space travel if someone else has also "claimed" these places, whether they have anything permanent there or not. Diplomacy? CB? Who knows.

But the borders will be kind of janky if this is the case.......

"The First (and only) Human-Xeno war was started, not as most are, to get an increase in font size for your empire's name, but to make the borders look prettier instead. Starting with small diplomatic quarrels over uncolonized planets, it soon escalated and the galaxy was consumed by the fires of war, as fleets of post-ape mammals poured from their home planet, set on one thing, and one thing only. A big, blue blob, in the shape of one of their reproductive organs. Such militaristic and quasi-religious fanaticism has rarely been seen in any other species entering into the galactic domain, so early on in the piece.

Border jankiness and "shape-making" was quickly declared an unacceptable reason for conflict by the High Federation Council, and humanity was quietly purged from existence in the following decades."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 04:07:24 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 01, 2016, 03:57:48 pm »

Also clearly the most important aspect of this game is the ability to paint a wide clear swath of space, perhaps dong shaped, with your colors and name, so you need strong boarders that go beyond your own personal planets to achieve that.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 01, 2016, 04:00:38 pm »

^edit :)
It's a game. Have fun.

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 01, 2016, 05:07:57 pm »

I think it would be cool if they added an event or option so you could genetically change some primitive species or create your own primitive species to put on a planet and watch how they develop!
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 632