Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687374 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4455 on: April 08, 2017, 12:51:21 pm »

Built a hive mind and built for unity. I got two ascention perks in 50 years.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: April 08, 2017, 04:18:19 pm »

Yeah it is a bit disappointing - some of the event chains are interesting enough, but it's all just 'choose option a and get x or option b and get y, sometimes with a random chance of it going wrong'. I think they had good intentions with it, but failed miserably to get it any more exciting than random events in other games - there's no tactics or strategy with it, or any other thinking required than just 'pick what sounds useful'. That 'micro' aspect also doesn't really fit with the rest of the game, so it just sort of doesn't work - ignore it and just click through the events.

1) 'Culture' isn't really defined in the same way as other games, your border range extends with planets, spacestations and a few repeatable techs you can research to extend the radius. It also fluctuates on just general empire power, but i'm not sure what the exact calc is. You can do peaceful takeovers of a sort, but it doesn't really work well - it's not like in other games where it's a viable strategy to conquer an enemy.

2) if they're very well inside your borders you're safe to take them off, just be careful as it can shrink the borders in that area. It's normally not too weird though.

3) There's a tech which you should come upon in not too long to automate it. I think it's stupid to have to research it, as it's never an exciting thing to do. Again, it comes back to them wanting to do an exploration game within a 4x but just failing.
Thanks for the answers! Shame that the early game didn't turn out to be as exciting as I imagined, I can at least hope they are aware of it and are planning on beefing it up in another patch/DLC. Hopefully the end game crises won't disappoint, it's the other thing I've been looking for in the game.

Tried removing one of my outposts just to see what would happen and then my borders receded a lot. Seems like they weren't as deeply contained in my borders as I thought.

Indeed, I eventually found the tech to automate surveying. And yeah, locking automation features behind research is just terrible design in a game like this.

3. Indoctrination doesn't really do anything useful.
Noticed this myself. Interactions with primitives is another thing I had high expectations for and that seems rather underwhelming right now.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4457 on: April 08, 2017, 05:24:28 pm »

What if construction ships were much cheaper (maybe 40 minerals and 50 for the baseline mining station), but they got used up? I feel like having one construction ship for fifty years just doesn't seem realistic, and, having no real logistical "tail" behind my construction efforts also bugs me.

If I want to expand in an area, i should have to account for the travel time to send stuff there.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: April 08, 2017, 06:38:08 pm »

What if construction ships were much cheaper (maybe 40 minerals and 50 for the baseline mining station), but they got used up? I feel like having one construction ship for fifty years just doesn't seem realistic, and, having no real logistical "tail" behind my construction efforts also bugs me.

If I want to expand in an area, i should have to account for the travel time to send stuff there.

I know what you're getting at, but I feel this would just add tedium - especially early game. That being said, I'd be for it if they made mine-able asteroids a lot rarer but more valuable (6-10 minerals rather than 2-3). This could be coupled with one shot construction ships (with certain specific tech/traditions to make them not get used up).

It'd be an interesting mod.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: April 08, 2017, 09:00:46 pm »

Believe it or not the most disappointing part of traditions FOR ME!

Is that the Ascensions... would have made far better traditions... with the ascension itself being the capstone or something like that.

Also they REALLY need to add more ascensions. So now I expect an expansion for the expansion xD
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:00:50 pm by Neonivek »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: April 09, 2017, 04:13:34 am »

So what's the point of the Chemical Bliss policy, anyways?
It does increase happiness by a ton (40%) but in exchange it has negative penalties on virtually anything a pop can do. Why would I want this pop to be 40% more happier if they have a 60% penalty to research, food, minerals, energy, AND have a higher upkeep?

I can kind of see a scenario where you use the policy to reduce unrest and the like, but again, why? Why bother having pops if they literally only suck up resources? The only scenario I can ever see the policy in is if someone wanted to roleplay a decadent race in an empire run by slaves, but that's not really something I see more than a few people doing. Am I just missing something?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: April 09, 2017, 04:19:23 am »

Would probably be good for livestock/servant slaves... if not for the fact that it literally can't be used for them.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: April 09, 2017, 04:30:11 am »

There are only two things I can think of...

Gaining influence... and trying to quickly win someone over and then switching them back down to normal.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: April 09, 2017, 06:25:14 am »

Would probably be good for livestock/servant slaves... if not for the fact that it literally can't be used for them.
Doesn't it reduce food production as well? That'd screw with livestock.

It'd be good for purging as well, but it's mutually exclusive with declaring them undesirables. You could still set them to bliss and then manually purge them, I think. Is manual purging still a thing?

The other major use would be to temporarily brainwash pops that hate you while waiting for their ethics to drift, recently conquered mod to wear off, and so on. I haven't dealt with any of that in the new version, though, so I dunno how much of an issue it is any more.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: April 09, 2017, 06:38:43 am »

Never actually tried livestock, was under the impression that they just give a flat food bonus straight to the bank and not actual production.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: April 09, 2017, 06:45:15 am »

Yeah, livestock just give a flat +3 food production no matter where their location is. (Even things like farms don't increase it.)
I suppose the advantage in them (other than roleplay stuff) is that they don't have the maintenance that you'd have with farms.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4466 on: April 09, 2017, 09:01:42 am »

So you dump all your livestock on an empty planet and keep them happy with chemical bliss, they never rebel. Problem solved?

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: April 09, 2017, 12:00:51 pm »

Chembliss only works on battle thralls and free citizens.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4468 on: April 09, 2017, 12:09:38 pm »

Chembliss only works on battle thralls and free citizens.
Ah well. I could see that being useful though. Keep one planet full of a very strong race alive under chemical bliss and make all your armies from them. Armies are limited by the number of pops you have now.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: April 09, 2017, 12:16:08 pm »

Yeah, don't really see the point of chembliss.

Actually, I was thinking about what IwishIwereSarah said and tried out not giving a shit about happiness at all and just colonizing every single thing with no regard to happiness.

Yeah, there is actually no downside to doing so. It's just straight up better than maximizing for the optimal colonies. Your populations can't do anything to you. Just build some garrison armies which are cheaper than dirt to buy and maintain and you're basically set forever. Factions can't do anything to hurt you either, they just look spiffy but otherwise are functionally worthless.

Actually, I say build some garrison armies but I haven't done so either. Even at 20% habitability I haven't had a single issue with unrest.
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 632