Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687347 times)

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4470 on: April 09, 2017, 12:20:53 pm »

Can't build armies on slave planets  :'(
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4471 on: April 09, 2017, 12:25:26 pm »

Eh? There's a tech for slave armies.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: April 09, 2017, 12:44:29 pm »

Eh? There's a tech for slave armies.
Not if you're using them for resources.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: April 09, 2017, 04:30:50 pm »

Welp, no titan building and apocalyptic weapons of doom or superfortresses yet.

And armageddon bombardment cant kill for shit  ???

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: April 09, 2017, 04:46:59 pm »

I've actually been having a decent amount of "trouble" with unrest in my game. Yet I have a ton of measures to prevent unrest - psionic leaders and governors, a rather large amount of unrest-reducing empire-wide buildings, spiritualist ethic, and more.

I say "trouble" because it's really not that big of a deal for me. I actually lost one minor planet to a slave rebellion and the garrisons couldn't fend off the absolutely massive slave army. Then someone I was warring with took the planet.
The worst part was the empire I was at war with taking the planet. Because of the way war works, if I had won that war I had declared to vassalize the empire, then they would have kept this minor planet quite literally in the middle of my territory. So I had to make peace with them and wait out the timer so I could declare war to both take the planet back and vassalize them.
(Then I had to declare war on another empire because while my fleet was still in the slave-taking empire's territory, this other empire suddenly wins a war and gains a shit-ton of territory completing surrounding and trapping my fleet. Then I had to win the war with their fleet in my territory and my fleet in their territory.)

But the slave rebellion was once. The extreme majority of the time I only get events where the pops in a planet have +100% attraction towards some random ethic, which isn't very consequential to me.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: April 09, 2017, 04:51:21 pm »

Yeah, don't really see the point of chembliss.

Actually, I was thinking about what IwishIwereSarah said and tried out not giving a shit about happiness at all and just colonizing every single thing with no regard to happiness.

Yeah, there is actually no downside to doing so. It's just straight up better than maximizing for the optimal colonies. Your populations can't do anything to you. Just build some garrison armies which are cheaper than dirt to buy and maintain and you're basically set forever. Factions can't do anything to hurt you either, they just look spiffy but otherwise are functionally worthless.

Actually, I say build some garrison armies but I haven't done so either. Even at 20% habitability I haven't had a single issue with unrest.
Conversely, I've been trying for MAXIMUM HAPPINESS and found that:

1. It's rather easy to get 100%, to the point that you really don't need to stack all of your options.
2. Habitability is a far greater issue, at least in the early game; I haven't hit +%Hab techs yet, but so far my Happiness is glued firmly to my Habitability, which is stuck exactly where my homeworld type indicates it should be.
3. Other than RP reasons, there's no real reason to; +20% production at 100% Happiness is nice, but between Happiness being trivial and Habitability being out of reach, it's probably not worth a trait for Adaptable or bending much else at all for more Happiness.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: April 09, 2017, 05:55:57 pm »

Just managed to make myself massively OP with droids and the private colony ships tradition.

Energy is really easy to get as consumer goods now eat up minerals, but energy doesn't have a huge amount of uses. Similarly, getting planets to habitable isn't that easy either unless you're a long way down the tech ladder or picked up a lot of adaptability traits.

Whilst the downside of private colony ships is that the colonists may have ethics further away from the norm, that doesn't matter with robots. So basically, you can colonise anywhere for like 200 credits, not worry about any happiness issues and just have tons of robots grinding out minerals. Core worlds can now be just for food/science and with max living standards. I was able to get all the good planets in my area and block off rivals, not bother about any issues with happiness and get a huge mineral income.

Really feel robots shouldn't be able to colonise alone, at least not without some sort of tech first.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: April 09, 2017, 07:37:23 pm »

So there's a new event in 1.5 that lets you find barren planets that can be terraformed. They're called terraforming candidates.

What the game doesn't do is that it doesn't save these locations for you, so I highly recommend you write down the name of these planets somewhere as you'll never find them again later.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: April 09, 2017, 09:03:50 pm »

So there's a new event in 1.5 that lets you find barren planets that can be terraformed. They're called terraforming candidates.

What the game doesn't do is that it doesn't save these locations for you, so I highly recommend you write down the name of these planets somewhere as you'll never find them again later.

I just started my first 1.5 game, and Mars was one such candidate. Makes sense. I disliked Mars being an inevitably useless hunk of rock before.

Can anyone confirm if that's always the case, or just randomly so?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: April 09, 2017, 09:04:36 pm »

I just started my first 1.5 game, and Mars was one such candidate. Can anyone confirm if that's always the case, or just randomly so?
I think the devs have stated that Mars will always be such a candidate. If I'm not mistaken.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: April 09, 2017, 10:31:46 pm »

I had no idea Holy Fallen Empires considered all tomb worlds to be their holy worlds...

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: April 09, 2017, 10:48:16 pm »

I have update my Alpha Centauri's factions for the new update and I'm pretty pleased with the result. The new Authoritarian/Egalitarian axis resolved a good part of the problem with the Free Drones faction. I started an observer game to see if the AI personalities fits the faction but then I decided to let it run. So if you want to see the show here's the starting position of every factions.

Spoiler: Galactic ''Center'' (click to show/hide)
Here we have the Peacekeepers, Data Angels, Hive and Earth Remnant (a custom Fanatical Purifier faction wanting to take revenge on those who left Earth) in close proximity and the University is there not far. I expect some fireworks here. Also not shown an alien Empire north of the Remnant became spacefaring shortly after taking the picture.

Spoiler: Galactic ''Northwest'' (click to show/hide)
Here the Spartan and Pirates are somewhat close and I'll be suprise if they don't end up at war against each other. The Conciousness isn't too far and will probably join the Pirates against the Spartan (Nautilus is a Democratic Crusader in that game, but I plan to change them to Honorbound Warriors.) and because the game is Hyperdrive-only the Believers are somewhat isolate.

Spoiler: Galactic ''Northeast'' (click to show/hide)
Here's the Free Drones and Cult factions and the two residents Fallen Empire (Xenophile and Materialist). I expect the Drones to behave and maybe spread West toward the Spartan, while the Cult will be chilling in his own corner until they tick off one of the Fallen Empire.

Spoiler: Galactic ''Southeast'' (click to show/hide)
Gaians and Morganites not much else to say. I don't expect much problems here since there's not a huge difference in ethos between them.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: April 09, 2017, 11:46:07 pm »

Gaians and Morganites not much else to say. I don't expect much problems here since there's not a huge difference in ethos between them.
Well that's ironic.  I sorta see it, though, when translated to Stellaris.  They're normally opposites, and yet both diplomatic/pacifist.
I assume the Gaians are spiritual and the Morganites materialist, and both are egalitarian pacifists.
Morganites probably shouldn't be xenophiles though, while that's the Gaian's primary trait.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:14:56 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: April 10, 2017, 12:00:24 am »

I had no idea Holy Fallen Empires considered all tomb worlds to be their holy worlds...

Sort of. If a tomb world is created after the fact it typically isn't also holy.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: April 10, 2017, 12:15:19 am »

It makes sense when you think about it. Since tomb worlds in Stellaris are basically habitable planets that "died", usually taking its species with it.

And y'know, I think the thing Stellaris does best is the feeling of progress, especially with the DLC installed. You start from a piddly little planet and go to this huge psionic mega-empire exerting control over the galaxy with what may as well be teleporting insane-ranged ships, self-healing armor, megastructures, and much more. It definitely feels like my civilization is evolving and isn't just a bigger version of what I started out as.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 632