Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679416 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5205 on: August 13, 2017, 01:19:09 am »

Thats the fallen empire where martians kill humanity and take over.  I think there is a particular mod that adds it, don't remember which one.  Fallen empires expaneded?  Something like that.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: August 13, 2017, 01:28:12 am »

I feel a little disappointed that you can't have a machine uprising with full citizenship status. That seems to assume that the machines are being reasonable. I'd rather that citizenship just made it so that some portion of your robots stay on your side.
I'm sure they could still form a faction and cause you troubles.
Also, it may be/become possible that the full-citizenship route leads to Rogue Servitors (The one robot civ type that can't come from uprisings).
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5207 on: August 15, 2017, 04:01:09 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Created a locust trait which drastically increased migration speed, growth, habitability, tanks all productive resources that weren't food and decreased the happiness of all other species. Thus was born, the locust swarm. Locust pops are really imbalanced, with the AI unable to figure out that deliberately spreading these guys around with internal/external migration and colonization is a bad idea, the AI learned that they shouldn't be spreading locust pops everywhere. It is a fun experiment - they managed to reach one end of the galaxy to the other in 200 years despite my best efforts to armageddon bomb every planet I found them on. They are now a truly galactic infestation against whom only hive minds, isolationists and fanatics are fully safe; once they are on a planet the sheer level of misery they cause to other xenos combined with their propensity for proliferation shortly results in one of two things; the planet declaring independence and then becoming a new hive of locustry, or the planet costing loads of minerals in military spending, consumer spending and then becoming a locust world, spreading locusts everywhere internally if the Empire allows internal migration. They are just delightful

*EDIT
Figured out editing the ethics weight for the trait was pretty easy, so that species with locust pops became xenophobic and shut down migration or even became purgers. Then once the locusts are gone the weight disappears and they get drawn to xenophilia again, making the galaxy flow between waves of xenophobia and xenophilia as the locusts migrate. With an added opinion malus from leaders with locust trait, empires should now be more distrustful of signing migration treaties with locust pops, meaning they're more likely to accidentally cause locust migrations through conquest or expulsion. This satisfyingly creates genuine galactic migratory herds, shame you can't play as migratory pops and must play as an Empire. Still, they are a beautiful environmental force of destruction roaming through my galaxies. I think 99% of Stellaris's bland species problem is solved rather easily by just exaggerating the traits so galactic biodiversity actually means something
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:40:12 am by Loud Whispers »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: August 15, 2017, 09:44:50 am »

Huh. I'm impressed the game handles that so well!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5209 on: August 15, 2017, 02:16:11 pm »

Huh. I'm impressed the game handles that so well!
On review, I figured out there was one flaw in that by increasing the habitability adaptability of the locust trait, the AI tended to use them ~exclusively~ for colonization the moment one of their pops entered their Empire, and I don't see any justifiable reason why any Empire would want to do that. Testing it out I think it's cooler if the locust swarms are limited to certain climates and gaia planets, and the rare adaptable locust swarm earns its place as galactic superpest - so I'm gonna reduce their habitability instead, to really restrict their preferences to their immediate biome (and hilariously, the more advanced a space empire gets by unlocking habitability tech, the easier they make it for locust pops to appear).

On the bright side the current shitfest has as far as unstoppable galactic locust swarms go, has become a hilarious unstoppable galactic locust swarm. They've taken over scary numbers of planets and established presence on many more, all with their home Empire numbering just 2 planets after my attempts to stop their spread. After waging a great war to wipe out their pops on 6 planets, I found they had increased their presence by no less than 20 planets in that same timespan!

One really cool thing about the locust pops is that you get to see the real-time movement of pops across the galaxy. I modded FTL travel to take a year per system for the early tiers and a day per system for the highest tiers so that in the early game very few large territorial exchanges from colonization/conquest would occur. This meant that the galaxy developed into a beautiful patchwork of star empires instead of the usual blobs
And it allowed the Empires to form interconnected networks between pacts, federations and associates which facilitated locust migrations. Interestingly the ones in the far far west have no locusts, having no diplomatic ties with any other galactic federation, while the ones in the core are either hive minds or unusually large fanatical purifiers. I swear my fingers are crossed for some of these Empires to upload their locust pops into synth bodies to actually make them useful and halt the infestation

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: August 15, 2017, 02:47:45 pm »

That's actually awesome, I do wish they would add in those sorts of interesting traits into the vanilla game.  You should start an interesting traits modding project and host it somewhere.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5211 on: August 15, 2017, 03:17:40 pm »

That's actually awesome, I do wish they would add in those sorts of interesting traits into the vanilla game.  You should start an interesting traits modding project and host it somewhere.
Hey thanks, I might consider that if I've got the time. For now it's just fun testing concepts and mechanics
Reducing habitability solved the issue well. Now the locusts still migrate the stars, but don't spread like cosmic kudzu vines, choking the galaxy with their sheer biomass.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: August 15, 2017, 03:40:58 pm »

Loud Whispers:

Reading about your adventures with the locusts makes me think that Stellaris really doesn't do a good job about the whole "numbers and swarm" thing. There's no way to create a Skaven-like or Greenskin threat across the stars as even though your species can reproduce quickly... it doesn't really translate to anything does it?

I mean, sure, you get more people everywhere but once you hit the planet cap... that's basically it. And you don't really build more ships or anything. In essence, it just translates to "we reach the point of peak production faster than others" (though in your case, it's just "lol, we destroy your planets production temporarily"). But in reality, it should be "we must devour the universe because nothing can hold us".

I think this is one of the reasons warfare and diplomacy in general in this game is so underwhelming. Everything is more or less the same with one amusing quirk but still more or less the same. Unless it's expressly scripted like the end-game threats, everything ends up being more or less the same. More or less the same amount of ships. More or less the same amount of damage. More or less the same buildings. More or less the same combat styles.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: August 15, 2017, 04:11:21 pm »

Hmm. Maybe fast breeding should make more leader characters spawn. That together with admiral characters who are required to form a fleet, you get a somewhat reasonable military advantage.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: August 15, 2017, 05:20:09 pm »

maybe a full empire of "fast breeders" should have a war goal of "lebensraum" to make room for their young.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: August 15, 2017, 06:25:28 pm »

You'd probably have to mod quite a few things, but it should be possible.

1. Introduce a mechanic that increases problems to you the higher your population (or overpopulation). Ideally you need to be motivated to keep expanding or fighting. More importantly, it needs to make the AI realize this too.

2. Introduce a mechanic that allows for higher populations per slot, to simulate the size of the species.

3. Introduce a mechanic to highlight how the species merely consumes and exploits before moving on. Probably stuff like buildings that aren't as good at consuming resources or something like that.

4. Amplify ship production and apply restrictions as necessary. For example, give them increased ship cap, ship production rate, but at the expensive of durability or power or what have you.

5. Amplify troop production and apply restrictions as well.

----

It's just annoying that the game itself doesn't take any steps to give the existing species more notable, distinctive traits. Honestly, most of the "unique" traits in Stellaris aren't born out of natural gameplay, but rather our own preconceived notions on what a species that looks like that should behave. That's true of almost anything we humans perceive, but at the very least they should try and introduce things to these tropes so they actually behave different from each other... rather than being more or less the same.

Honestly, the only difference in this game between a fanatic purifier and a fanatic pacifist in this game is a change in the probability of them declaring war on you. And their probability of drawing certain tech cards.

It's funny, in their effort to avoid making token races in a token sci fi setting, Paradox instead made a game where everything is just basically clones of each other wearing different skins. And the only distinct races that anyone even remembers and talks about in this game are those scripted to be specifically one dimensional. ... .... ... ... *cough*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5216 on: August 15, 2017, 06:47:32 pm »

maybe a full empire of "fast breeders" should have a war goal of "lebensraum" to make room for their young.
That's not really any different from the hegemonic imperialists, hive minds or fanatical purifiers in fluff, and not different mechanically to anything else. Perhaps a war goal to force open borders & citizenship of your pops so the migratory-minded species can have more options to spread militarily than outright conquest. So in peace they can just migration treaty, in war they can do enforced migration treaties - with the consequence being defeated xenophobic Empires' xenophobic faction having to deal with the sudden forced political integration of numerous xeno citizens, each likely joining a xenophile or individualistic faction.

Loud Whispers:
Reading about your adventures with the locusts makes me think that Stellaris really doesn't do a good job about the whole "numbers and swarm" thing. There's no way to create a Skaven-like or Greenskin threat across the stars as even though your species can reproduce quickly... it doesn't really translate to anything does it?
Yeah the fast breeding trait is pretty meaningless. There's no way to overpopulate your world and create hive cities of megadense urbanization, nor to create dense jungles of sentient plants or chittering seas of chitinous roachoid scientists. Which is a shame really, sorta throws you outta the immersion when arid deserts support the same population abstractions as lush gaia worlds, or when you have in-game fluff of precursor civilizations made up of scattered xenos that live and reproduce over thousands of years.
Hell, I would take numbered stats with icons over the planet tile per pop system. As an aside, when it comes to how buildings represent productivity, I found that modding the buildings to all add adjacency benefits greatly added to immersion and strategy. Early-tier buildings provide flat bonuses to tile production, but as the game progresses things like power plants provide +2 energy, +1 food, +1 minerals and so on to the tiles surrounding them, same for the mineral producing buildings. My reasoning was that this represented how the sum of a planet's parts were worth more than its whole, each tile of nations and cities did not exist as an independent unit sending its resources to a galactic HQ, they were interlinked with one another in chains of production, consumption and supply. Thus with adjacency bonuses, a large planet that is highly divided by hazardous terrain is not as productive as a small planet that is highly-connected, and a large planet that is fully populated and optimally linked provides the full strength of what such a large planet should provide. If hazardous terrain got reworked as a permanent feature and not just a momentary obstacle, this kinda system would even add diversity to every planet ~within~ a biome, before you start adding mechanics to differentiate an arctic glacier world to a deep ocean world.

I mean, sure, you get more people everywhere but once you hit the planet cap... that's basically it. And you don't really build more ships or anything. In essence, it just translates to "we reach the point of peak production faster than others" (though in your case, it's just "lol, we destroy your planets production temporarily"). But in reality, it should be "we must devour the universe because nothing can hold us".
The vanilla game right now has three swarms:
1. Galactic nomad devourers, aka tyranid/zergbugs who intend to devour the galaxy and promptly leave for a new one.
2. Devouring swarms, which intend to eat the galaxy and establish itself as the top of the foodchain.
3. Other hive minds, which want to do what #2 are doing, only more carefully.

All three swarms are hive-minded with a single consciousness. There are no swarms of individuals in vanilla, nor are there swarms that peacefully migrate and takeover planets instead of the usual extermination and expansion campaigns the hive minds conduct. Closest we get to are the migratory flocks, issue being that the nomadic trait and fast breeder traits make migratory flocks marginally faster than other xenos at immigrating and growing within someone else's Empire, forming at best what it says on the tin - migratory flocks like a gaggle of geese, not an epic mass exodus like a plague of chittering (peaceful enough) spacebugs (I also think using the cat portrait would be appropriate, to portray the unstoppable onslaught of useless void felines adopting species as their new owners). Also I really liked the locust pops because they were a type of swarm that was different from the "we must eat the galaxy" swarm.

They make terrible conquerors, what with having no real industry (beyond what is needed to colonize) and no research to speak of. Yet they love making federation friends and making migration treaties, making them into a diplomatic swarm. The damage they cause to Empires is also a form of damage which is unlike any other; where right now your Empire can only be damaged externally by invaders and bombardment, or internally by rebels. The locusts are actually fairly law abiding citizens as long as they're happy, so if they have a planet to themselves and the Empire can afford the loss in minerals/unity/research then they are no issue (unless they spread). That they tank the happiness of other xenos pops makes it spicier, because it means that the Empire in question must contend with internal strife. The planets with locusts and xenos cohabiting form xenophobes, but only on that planet, which means either the rest kowtow to the xenophobes or risk the xenophobes launching a secessionist bid - ironically, with the civ's own species and not the locusts being what tears the space empire apart. Alternatively, the space empire just has its pops migrate off world to core worlds while the locusts take over all the newly emptified space, sucking up delicious materials :>

Basically if the vanilla 3 swarms are hordes of locusts devouring the world's biomass to feed their unstoppable march, the locust pops are by comparison a termite infestation that is eating at the woodwork but really means no harm to the giants is lives with. To that end I think population density and locust pops are diff issues, but by golly, Paradox shouldn't be afraid of fun mechanics ;D

I think this is one of the reasons warfare and diplomacy in general in this game is so underwhelming. Everything is more or less the same with one amusing quirk but still more or less the same. Unless it's expressly scripted like the end-game threats, everything ends up being more or less the same. More or less the same amount of ships. More or less the same amount of damage. More or less the same buildings. More or less the same combat styles.
That and the vanilla game very linearly guides you down the path to exploration, colonization, federation and conquest. There is not even much if any variation in how you execute this linear path. PI taking out trading planets just to stop vanilla locust pop analogues strikes me as bizarre, when the game already runs frightfully close to a cycle of conquer, extinguish and grind, reducing number of fun alternative options to defeat rivals makes no sense. Same goes with having starvation not starve anyone! Madness I say. It's even worse that the trait differences are so small that on the higher difficulties, the weaknesses and strengths of the AI species do not matter at all. Even on the lower difficulties it's hard to see the variance play out in different ways, once you see one federating species you've seen all of them

Hmm. Maybe fast breeding should make more leader characters spawn. That together with admiral characters who are required to form a fleet, you get a somewhat reasonable military advantage.

Proposal: More pops per tile than 1? Would also allow for xeno minorities, overpopulation and increased growth being actually useful.

Frankly what the game needs is more options than just sending your corvettes to go blow up their corvettes. Synth Empires don't get to infiltrate enemy Empires. Psionics can't literally engage in mind warfare. Gene modding is pretty dank, but the attributes are just too meaningless to alter how a species behaves. Immigration is a means to 10 pop, and never a means to peaceful propagation. You'd think Empires with access to FTL weapons would think of less destructive ways to complete their objectives. The lack of trade sucks. Planetary warfare might as well not exist. Starvation and orbital bombardment doing nothing whilst a measly hydrogen bomb annihilates the planet shows the developers aren't stupid, they just don't want anyone having unauthorised fun xD

/rant aside, a lot of this is rectifiable with modding and Paradox's business model means they'll keep adding features as time goes on. Basically the game'll be good after the first 15 dlc and some nice mods

Paradox instead made a game where everything is just basically clones of each other wearing different skins.
It's a petty complaint I have, but it irks me greatly that hospitals provide bonus pop growth but cloning vats do not. Thus I always mod them to be a rarer tech that provides a very juicy pop growth

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: August 15, 2017, 11:22:44 pm »

I think cloning vats represent things closer to Halo's Flash Cloning rather than proper clones. After a few years in the corps, they just get cancer and die. Which the game represents as them not being proper pops (though it should represent them as Pops with an upkeep, as a sort of organic alternative to robots and droids, or even synths.)

I've actually been thinking about starting to mod Stellaris. I've always had my autism triggered by not only the odd names for techs (2200 and the UN hasn't figured out theoretical quantum mechanics? Did we regress or something, because we're, today, at actual practical quantum mechanics being used in computing) but the lack of indepth fluff in the tooltip - and Stellaris of course doesn't exactly have a civilopedia to put the big fluff so there's no way to do worldbuilding like SMAC. Not to mention the lack of any direction in tech whatsoever and the overall thinness of the tech tree means it never really feels like your empire is more advanced than that primitive that just popped next door. Mechanically, yes, your ships are faster and fly farther and shoot different colored lasers that do way more damage, but there's not really any sort of visceral feeling of sliding from hard sci-fi "Iridium plating" to "It made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs!" tier fuck-the-rules-I-have-SCIENCE! sci-fi opera.

So I've been thinking about doing a overhaul of the tech tree. Fluff is no problem - I can write fluff for fucking days - but it does seem like it'd be a bigass project. Still want to give it a try though.

And jeeze it's only a little bit of the polish the game needs to par classics like GalCiv and SMAC. I'm definitely remembering some of the stuff discussed in this thread just now. There's good ideas in you lot.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5218 on: August 16, 2017, 06:37:55 am »

I think cloning vats represent things closer to Halo's Flash Cloning rather than proper clones. After a few years in the corps, they just get cancer and die. Which the game represents as them not being proper pops (though it should represent them as Pops with an upkeep, as a sort of organic alternative to robots and droids, or even synths.)
Alternatively, mass produced pops from your species but with an added fleeting/super fleeting trait - being able to produce the pops from the same pop production screen as robits. If the clones are infertile then I like the idea that you're manually replacing them from your cloning vats, brave new world style

I've actually been thinking about starting to mod Stellaris. I've always had my autism triggered by not only the odd names for techs (2200 and the UN hasn't figured out theoretical quantum mechanics? Did we regress or something, because we're, today, at actual practical quantum mechanics being used in computing) but the lack of indepth fluff in the tooltip - and Stellaris of course doesn't exactly have a civilopedia to put the big fluff so there's no way to do worldbuilding like SMAC. Not to mention the lack of any direction in tech whatsoever and the overall thinness of the tech tree means it never really feels like your empire is more advanced than that primitive that just popped next door. Mechanically, yes, your ships are faster and fly farther and shoot different colored lasers that do way more damage, but there's not really any sort of visceral feeling of sliding from hard sci-fi "Iridium plating" to "It made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs!" tier fuck-the-rules-I-have-SCIENCE! sci-fi opera.
So I've been thinking about doing a overhaul of the tech tree. Fluff is no problem - I can write fluff for fucking days - but it does seem like it'd be a bigass project. Still want to give it a try though.
And jeeze it's only a little bit of the polish the game needs to par classics like GalCiv and SMAC. I'm definitely remembering some of the stuff discussed in this thread just now. There's good ideas in you lot.
God speed
A little fluff goes a hell of a long way. Even superficial changes can make for a considerably more enjoyable time

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: August 16, 2017, 09:33:53 am »

Yeah, in stellaris the lack of cool sci-fi stuff kind of annoys me.  I mean, they have some of it, but they lack.. something.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 632