Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679372 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5790 on: January 27, 2018, 08:31:34 pm »

At best I think we would get a highly abstracted supply chain. Paradox rarely adds in detailed supply management. HOI4 just draws a route from the capital to your troop's location and if it's clear then supplies get through. If not, there is a chance of interception and it spawns some convoys to be blown up or get away based on a dice roll.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: February 15, 2018, 12:42:38 pm »

2.0 patch notes have been released.

One of the more interesting things that caught my eye was this:
• Becoming Federation President now requires an empire to own at least 10% of a Federation's total planets, OR at least half the number of planets of the largest member. Empires who do not fulfill this condition will be passed over for leadership.

Needless to say I immediately started wondering if cheesing things and becoming El Presidente for life would be worth it, by forming a Federation with nations 10 times smaller than yours. The upside is that at least one fifth of your fleets (or one third with the Entente Coordination civic) become maintenance free due to being Federation Fleets. You will always have access to these fleets since you're always El Presidente, so you don't have to worry about them vanishing or being redesigned by the AI. I wouldn't expect much fleet power or advanced technologies from the other members of your Federation if they're small enough for this to work, but they're there.

The obvious downside to such a plan is diplomacy. You have to finagle your other members into supporting your wars while ensuring that they don't grow large enough to snag the title of President from you. With the new war system I think it might be possible to do such a thing. Since your fellow members are so small they should have trouble taking planets, so you just have to focus on your own claims. Then you hit the button that goes 'Leave the borders as they are' and bam. You get all of your claims while your allies get none.

I'm sure there's a ton of flaws in this plan but it might be worth a shot. Just think of how many minerals and energy you'll save with your maintenance-free fleets.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: February 15, 2018, 12:49:42 pm »

It will at least make for another playstile where your main concern is remaining Space El Presidente.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5793 on: February 16, 2018, 11:07:50 am »

You wouldn't have to be with a bunch of tiny empires, just at least double all of their size.

For example:

You: 19 planets
9 members with 9 planets each = 81 planets
Total: 100 planets

Everyone only has 9% of total planets and less than 50% of you, therefore you're permanent president of a 10 member federation more than 5x your size.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: February 16, 2018, 11:17:50 am »

The problem is control and expansion. More people in your Federation means you have to get more on your side to declare war (and increases the likelihood of being dragged into wars you don't want) and makes controlling expansion and ensuring that you remain El Presidente more difficult.

Mind you, your scenario will totally work. I'm just not certain if it'll be worth it in the long run.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: February 16, 2018, 11:55:29 am »

Yeah, I feel like the issue with 9 allies with 9 planets each, is that a 9 planet empire has a much easier time turning into a 15 planet empire, than a 1 planet empire does. This means your main concern is not letting your allies grow, rather than growing yourself
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: February 16, 2018, 04:36:42 pm »

I mean, they can drag me into wars if they want, but i'm not sending any help if I don't want to.

Just gonna park here and watch the fireworks thank you very much.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5797 on: February 16, 2018, 10:17:18 pm »

The problem is control and expansion. More people in your Federation means you have to get more on your side to declare war (and increases the likelihood of being dragged into wars you don't want) and makes controlling expansion and ensuring that you remain El Presidente more difficult.
Mind you, your scenario will totally work. I'm just not certain if it'll be worth it in the long run.
Not really a problem. Just make loads of one planet vassal states, grant them freedom and create your federation of one glorious president of maximum freedom. Declare war with liberation goals only, denying your federation any potential spoils (which they probably won't if you've made the vassals in the right isolated/overlapping systems), then vassalize and annex the the liberated state. Free upkeep ships ftw

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: February 16, 2018, 10:25:19 pm »

I mean. That is almost exactly what I was proposing originally. The 'not worth it in the long run' was with Paul's scenario of '9 empires with 9 planets and you have 19'. A couple of one-planet minors? More than feasible, even if they aren't contributing much to the Federation. Even in that case, +20% fleet cap and 1/3rd upkeep free ships with the right civic is nothing to sneer at.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5799 on: February 17, 2018, 12:00:54 pm »

Aye very nice stuff

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: February 17, 2018, 01:20:48 pm »

Is it possible to release whatever planet you want as a vassal in the current version, or will it be possible in the next? I've been using a mod that let you create various kinds of subject, but if there's vanilla behavior to use instead besides abusing/consoling to forment unrest in a sector that'd be a lot better.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5801 on: February 17, 2018, 10:23:19 pm »

I was just pointing out that you could be only a little bigger than your federation members and still get the permanent presidency, you wouldn't need to be 10x their size.

Divide my numbers down and you still have the same deal.

You: 3 planets
8 members with 1 planet each = 8 planets
Total: 11 planets

Or:

You: 5 planets
8 members with 2 planets each = 16 planets
Total: 21 planets

In either case, each member is now less than 10% of the total planets and less than 50% of yours. And you are only slightly more than 2x any of their size and only a fraction of the total federation size.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: February 19, 2018, 09:39:16 am »

Soon..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: February 19, 2018, 09:45:30 pm »

Is something wrong with the moon.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: February 19, 2018, 09:57:39 pm »

I was just pointing out that you could be only a little bigger than your federation members and still get the permanent presidency, you wouldn't need to be 10x their size.

Divide my numbers down and you still have the same deal.

You: 3 planets
8 members with 1 planet each = 8 planets
Total: 11 planets

Or:

You: 5 planets
8 members with 2 planets each = 16 planets
Total: 21 planets

In either case, each member is now less than 10% of the total planets and less than 50% of yours. And you are only slightly more than 2x any of their size and only a fraction of the total federation size.
Can you imagine trying to pass that off in real life?

"Hey guys, I'm just a little bit bigger than all of you so I'm going to be El Presidente for life. No rebellions okay! And make sure not to form any factions or alliances amongst yourselves!"

Hell you can barely get away with that in CK2.
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 632