Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687444 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8580 on: April 06, 2020, 07:21:35 am »

Closing up your borders, to be fair, helps you mechanically anyway. So... It's not as big of a drag as it sounds.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8581 on: April 06, 2020, 07:42:15 am »

so, do you now have to build an outpost in every single system or there's some organic growth of borders still?
Border growth happens through claiming new systems by building outposts now, has been that way for quite a while. It ties border growth to economy and influence. Those outposts can selectively be upgraded into starbases but even basic outposts have a tiny bit of defense which can deter tiny fleets or at least delay sometimes.

IIRC planets cannot be invaded until the starbase in the system has been conquered, as well, so a well fortified starbase protects the planets. Once you research FTL inhibitors, starbases also block enemy ships from circumventing them and proceeding to the next system so well fortified starbases can act as chokepoints forcing an engagement. Planets with a fortress also inhibit ships from proceeding until the fortress is destroyed or the planet is captured, so you can indeed make fortress worlds like Cadia to stop enemy progress/

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: April 06, 2020, 08:25:04 am »

I think habitats with fotresses count for FTL inhibition as well. I say think because for some reason the inhibitor icon isn't showing up for me after researching the tech, and I haven't found myself in a situation where I would find out if it's actually working or not, much less if habitats count. If they do though, You could just build one at every possible location in a system, fortify them as much as possible, and watch the AI burn through 75% of its war exhaustion as it refuses to use its armies and insists on bombarding everything to death, as is tradition.
That might actually be the best possible use for habitats, or at least a viable way to get around the limited living space, considering fortresses now provide housing.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8583 on: April 06, 2020, 08:34:40 am »

I think habitats with fotresses count for FTL inhibition as well. I say think because for some reason the inhibitor icon isn't showing up for me after researching the tech, and I haven't found myself in a situation where I would find out if it's actually working or not, much less if habitats count. If they do though, You could just build one at every possible location in a system, fortify them as much as possible, and watch the AI burn through 75% of its war exhaustion as it refuses to use its armies and insists on bombarding everything to death, as is tradition.
That might actually be the best possible use for habitats, or at least a viable way to get around the limited living space, considering fortresses now provide housing.
Internally a habitat is just a planet type so there's no reason that a habitat with a fortress shouldn't also inhibit FTL once you have the technology. It would be pretty easy to test out so I may do so later today

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8584 on: April 06, 2020, 10:59:30 am »

Habitats do just as well as a planet.

Actually, late-game AI likes to spam habitats and sometimes build them into fortresses. I have had to invade a planet and 5+ habitats in a system just to get past.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: April 06, 2020, 05:23:49 pm »

have sectors been axed? I hit the sprawl soft cap and can't find anymore how to create them. sector UI is there and there's the core sector but can't find a create option. is it a research now? or a machine empire limit?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: April 06, 2020, 06:05:33 pm »

You create sectors from colonies.  Building tab.  Somewhere there is something that says no sector, close to that is a green button.   It is very easy to miss.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: April 06, 2020, 06:32:49 pm »

have sectors been axed? I hit the sprawl soft cap and can't find anymore how to create them. sector UI is there and there's the core sector but can't find a create option. is it a research now? or a machine empire limit?

Planets/colony have a button on the right side. Know that sectors only count out about 4 sectors away from the center, the colony you choose to start a new sector.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: April 06, 2020, 07:22:30 pm »

Sectors don't have any effect on sprawl though, unless you release them as vassals.  As of Federations release you build administrative buildings.  You can also just ignore the sprawl like in previous versions, but the research speed penalty is probably worth all the jobs and consumer goods.

Mostly sectors are just for making sure your planets have a governor, and for automation purposes I guess.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: April 07, 2020, 12:14:27 am »

Pretty sure the penalty to research and traditions is more severe in 2.6 to compensate for the administrative buildings, but it's still pretty easy to keep up with the needs.  I built an administrator habitat as my first habitat once I had the tech, and filled it with admin buildings.  That alone mostly covered my empire's sprawl costs until I got to the point of having the repeatable admin capacity techs, and at that point I only had to research that rarely to keep up with my needs.

Prior to that, I did go as much as 100 over my limit, but the penalty started making me anxious at that point so I did cave and build like 2 more admin buildings before I got the admin habitat.

One thing to note about this version too is that rare resources are a bit more valuable.  The admin building upgrades cost crystals, and the galactic stock exchange (crystals), ministry of production (motes) and research administration (gases) buildings all cost 1 rare resource each to run now.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8590 on: April 07, 2020, 05:35:28 am »

I conquered an enemy homeworld and turned it into my empire's records department, genemodded their whole species to be docile conformists and relocated all of them to that world. Now their whole species handles my empire's administratum.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: April 07, 2020, 06:35:57 am »

so, even assuming I fill a planet with drone storages, I can build one drone storage for every 5 pops, and each drone storage only handles 4 pops, so for each of them I build I only have more homeless than not. what I am missing? (I'm not building them anyway because machines empire and whatnot, but still)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8592 on: April 07, 2020, 06:42:25 am »

so, even assuming I fill a planet with drone storages, I can build one drone storage for every 5 pops, and each drone storage only handles 4 pops, so for each of them I build I only have more homeless than not. what I am missing? (I'm not building them anyway because machines empire and whatnot, but still)
Generally one uses housing districts primarily for housing rather than buildings

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: April 07, 2020, 07:23:07 am »

Yeah, this. You generally want to be building housing districts if you need/want housing on that particular planet, and adding on other buildings as you need them. Drone Storages do provide housing but their main point is directly adding amenities to the planet for existing pops (as opposed to the other buildings which provide jobs to create said amenities).

As a topical side note, every housing building in the game does provide 5 or more housing once upgraded but that requires special technologies and Strategic Resources. There are exactly two buildings which can do so at base level; Communal Housings (+5 housing), which require the Shared Burdens civic and are therefore irrelevant to Machine Empires anyway, and Slave Huts (+8 housing), which are exclusive to colonies with the Thrall World designation and require at least some degree of effort put into enslaving organic pops.
Black lives matter.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: April 08, 2020, 02:16:53 am »

oh shit I forgot about districts I only built buildings that explain why I had so much trouble keeping up with other empires productions
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 632