Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687156 times)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8640 on: April 14, 2020, 09:26:01 am »

That requires the council to actually be formed thou.

I've got two games well past 2300 right now and neither of them have had the council form. One of those games has two of the midgame crisis's active right now and we've got the "respond to crisis" resolutions buried behind like 15 years of random votes.

Yeah it took a while to get the 'form council' vote to the top for me. Even as one of the top powers pushing it up everyone else seemed to think minor sanctions were much more important.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8641 on: April 14, 2020, 09:27:50 am »

I had to sort of force the issue in my game, amassed enough favors and influence to shove the formation of the council to the top of the queue and ensure my place on it, then reduce the number of council seats to 1 while voting myself a permanent seat

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8642 on: April 14, 2020, 09:40:48 am »

I had to sort of force the issue in my game, amassed enough favors and influence to shove the formation of the council to the top of the queue and ensure my place on it, then reduce the number of council seats to 1 while voting myself a permanent seat

I am definitely not surprised that you Palpatine'd your way into become Space Emperor of the Galaxy!  :P

You'd think that some votes would be considered too important to call favours in on.
Alien 1: "He wants to rule indefinitely 100%! That's bad! We should vote against this..."
Alien 2: "BUT HE SENT US 1,000 SPACE BURGERS! We owe him.'
Alien 1: "Oh, fair enough. How bad could he be?"

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8643 on: April 14, 2020, 09:40:55 am »

so to avoid war tiredness I conquered with laser focus every last planet to these other bird dudes while waiting for the war timeout to subside on the space lizards, but then all their other sectors where I didn't go and capture the station reverted to wild. not even independent or pirates, just empty void. this goddamn game.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8644 on: April 14, 2020, 09:45:36 am »

I am definitely not surprised that you Palpatine'd your way into become Space Emperor of the Galaxy!  :P

You'd think that some votes would be considered too important to call favours in on.
Alien 1: "He wants to rule indefinitely 100%! That's bad! We should vote against this..."
Alien 2: "BUT HE SENT US 1,000 SPACE BURGERS! We owe him.'
Alien 1: "Oh, fair enough. How bad could he be?"
Amusingly, most of my favors were indeed gotten by trading away my ridiculous surplus of food. I'm sure we spun it as preventing hunger and feeding the poor, etc etc
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:16:04 am by forsaken1111 »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: April 14, 2020, 10:12:27 am »

I've got two games well past 2300 right now and neither of them have had the council form. One of those games has two of the midgame crisis's active right now and we've got the "respond to crisis" resolutions buried behind like 15 years of random votes.
Remember that resolutions are listed in decreasing order of support, so it might be worth abstaining from everything but the truly important stuff (you can still vote once they hit the floor, you just don't increase their priority in the meantime).  But yeah, based on Reddit the AI hilariously undervalues the crisis resolutions and I think they hinted that it's intentional.

so to avoid war tiredness I conquered with laser focus every last planet to these other bird dudes while waiting for the war timeout to subside on the space lizards, but then all their other sectors where I didn't go and capture the station reverted to wild. not even independent or pirates, just empty void. this goddamn game.
it's like they thought of the same trick you did
I guess spawning pirates would make sense, but so does the outposts being lost when there are no pops to support them.  Maybe they self-destructed their installations when all hope was lost.

I admit I was a little surprised the first time it happened to me (I think I was a ravenous hive mind doing total war) but it's hardly unfair IMO.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8646 on: April 14, 2020, 11:12:53 am »

On the subject of annoying things about conquest, it's rather annoying that assimilators can't do anything with hiveminds but exterminate them. They should really work just as well as meat frames for my computer systems as any other meat frame, dammit! I can assimilate sentient rocks, but not fleshy brainless drones?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8647 on: April 14, 2020, 11:13:04 am »

yeah, the entire vote prioritization system is pretty bad right now. and yeah, i opened the L gates and then killed the grey tempest before the Focus even came up for a vote.

it probably needs better logic that incorporates the ability to send envoys on specific initiatives (instead of just "+10% diplo power per envoy), and to incorporate your influence on a specific topic (biggest economies have most influence on economic laws, biggest fleet powers on military laws, etc), and the ability to spend Influence for a one-time bump on any given vote prioritization.

and that's just for starters. but as usual, it's paradox, they're not going to spend a ton of time making a "good" system

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: April 14, 2020, 06:30:17 pm »

Yeahhhh

as much as i love stellaris, it's really gone from 'a neat scifi 4x with some good ideas to build on' to 'feature creep and half-baked systems.'

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8649 on: April 14, 2020, 06:59:53 pm »

In my game I also killed the grey tempest before the focus even came up. It's still there waiting on a vote like 5 years later.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8650 on: April 14, 2020, 07:01:19 pm »

Yeahhhh

as much as i love stellaris, it's really gone from 'a neat scifi 4x with some good ideas to build on' to 'feature creep and half-baked systems.'
Such is the nature of the Paradox DLC model. You can make cool systems as a part of a DLC but then what? What if you need to change that system to work with something else? What if you want to add new content that relies on this? What if you want to improve it but can’t rationalize spending that kind of man hours on content that neither attracts new players (free updates) or DLC purchases (DLC exclusive)?

It just quickly becomes a mess. It can be handled relatively well or poorly depending on the game and DLC in question, but overall the way I see it it’s a huge harm to developing systems that aren’t new or were always in vanilla.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: April 14, 2020, 08:55:35 pm »

It's unfortunate, but unoccupied systems revert to unowned when an empire falls. You get a two-year grace period after war exhaustion hits max before the enemy can force a status quo, so I would do everything you need to before claiming the last planet and then round up as many of their stations as you can before invading so that doesn't happen.
Black lives matter.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8652 on: April 14, 2020, 09:30:23 pm »

Yeahhhh

Such is the nature of the Paradox DLC model. You can make cool systems as a part of a DLC but then what? What if you need to change that system to work with something else? What if you want to add new content that relies on this? What if you want to improve it but can’t rationalize spending that kind of man hours on content that neither attracts new players (free updates) or DLC purchases (DLC exclusive)?

It just quickly becomes a mess. It can be handled relatively well or poorly depending on the game and DLC in question, but overall the way I see it it’s a huge harm to developing systems that aren’t new or were always in vanilla.

Even with that in mind, Crusader Kings 2 has managed generally to avoid this issue, and while I don't really enjoy it anymore, EU4 is still... EU4. Meanwhile Stellaris has just had the worst of the model in every step.

srsly lithoids get unique mechanics but you can't just update plantoids to add in some unique mechanics?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8653 on: April 15, 2020, 02:10:44 am »

it's like they thought of the same trick you did
I guess spawning pirates would make sense, but so does the outposts being lost when there are no pops to support them.  Maybe they self-destructed their installations when all hope was lost.

I admit I was a little surprised the first time it happened to me (I think I was a ravenous hive mind doing total war) but it's hardly unfair IMO.

eh it's not a trick, it's about modelling conquest and at the bottom convenience to the player. I'm gonna get these system anyway, I've been sitting on influence cap for a while as I'm expanding trough conquest, it's just the annoyance at this point.

and nothing kicks me out of make believe than "hard game balance mechanics showed in your face" - you have sprawl anyway, and maintenance costs, and so long and so forth just use the game mechanics! throw interesting problems at me, not just force me the long way around.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8654 on: April 15, 2020, 12:06:43 pm »

Has anyone done a full synth ascension recently?  Specifically, with xeno pops.  I'm "refining" (ha) my lithoid-livestock experiment a little.

What I've looked up suggests that all pops (primary and xeno) are converted by the project, and I'm aware of the assimilation living standard for turning immigrants into cyborgs or full mechanicals, but I'm not sure whether that living standard is required in current version.  Even for slaves/livestock?

Xenophobia/slavery in general has been an interesting playstyle to explore, but I think I prefer egalitarian in general.  Utopian Abundance isn't just nice in-universe, it eases the pop-micro a lot.  I might just run Mechanists with Shared Burdens, and deal with the late-game mineral shortages with moderation rather than abomination...

Edit: I just realized: the other morning at 6AM when I accidentally started exterminating my robots by offering them rights, I was exterminating my robots with an active synth-rebellion event line.  That's ironic because I've been trying to get them to go ahead and rebel already, and they're *supposed* to do that if you try to exterminate them to dodge the event.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:10:15 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 632