Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 164

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 198299 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #585 on: June 21, 2016, 03:51:15 am »

Can't they have the Judo and Shooting teams protect the rest?  :P

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 21, 2016, 04:36:07 am »

It was a entertaining match though. The Welsh crowd sang the full 90 minutes!
And yet the the Russians walked away? They must have learnt from Zulus at Rourke's drift and issued military-spec earplugs to their side, to shield them from the ancient Welsh martial art of Carau-Ywcey (especially the particularly deadly Cytgord Agos variation).

But I fear we digress.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 21, 2016, 04:42:01 am »

It was a entertaining match though. The Welsh crowd sang the full 90 minutes!
And yet the the Russians walked away? They must have learnt from Zulus at Rourke's drift and issued military-spec earplugs to their side, to shield them from the ancient Welsh martial art of Carau-Ywcey (especially the particularly deadly Cytgord Agos variation).

But I fear we digress.
Tried googling both those terms. Nothing came up, except a welsh wiki page about hardrock, 'Cerddoriaeth roc'. At least I think it's welsh.
https://cy.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerddoriaeth_roc
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:43:41 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 21, 2016, 05:05:39 am »

.cy. for Cymri. It's an old language, sir, but it checks out.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 21, 2016, 05:14:18 am »

Tried googling both those terms. Nothing came up, except a welsh wiki page about hardrock, 'Cerddoriaeth roc'. At least I think it's welsh.
https://cy.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerddoriaeth_roc
It's Welsh. Cymraeg ("kəmˈraiɡ"). The second term's words are (badly) translated*, but both words are valid Welsh and seem to make sense in the context of that article.

* - The fuller term is too obvious. Agos canu harmoni Surprised that "cytgord" doesn't survive without its welshified English loan-word butting in.

My first term was admittedly my own phonetic concoction, because the commonly used modern loan-word contains letters not even in the original Welsh alphabet.

Vowels! :P

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 05:16:47 am by Starver »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 21, 2016, 05:21:14 am »

Agos canu harmoni =  cry of the wolf pack?

Edit: or rather dog troop, canis = dog, lupus = wolf
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 05:27:18 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 21, 2016, 05:27:40 am »

Cymraeg: Noun. The violent, explosive anger expressed by Welshmen upon being called English.
Love, scriver~

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 21, 2016, 11:54:29 pm »

Can't they have the Judo and Shooting teams protect the rest?  :P
I don't think the Australian shooting teams gun license covers using it for self defence.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 29, 2016, 11:10:59 am »

Russia got some nice new laws

My favourite is "the failure to report a crime"
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 29, 2016, 12:39:59 pm »

That's basically a law everywhere, nobody really cares unless it's a serious crime though.
The most repressive part of that in my opinion is 5-10 years for organising "mass unrest" unionising and protest would most definately be under that correct?
The day the Duma decided that Russia didn't need working Internet anyway
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 12:49:47 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 29, 2016, 12:49:05 pm »

It would matter, if there were any unions that could organize even a small piddly unrest.

Besides, I haven't heard of a country where inducing mass unrest doesn't provoke massive retaliation from the government (with the exception of France, with its annual riots in the streets). Remember Ferguson?
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 29, 2016, 01:33:34 pm »

That's basically a law everywhere, nobody really cares unless it's a serious crime though.
The most repressive part of that in my opinion is 5-10 years for organising "mass unrest" unionising and protest would most definately be under that correct?
The day the Duma decided that Russia didn't need working Internet anyway
Problem with the law like this is that one can easily accuse someone that he knew that his neighbor\coworker\friend\guy he follows in twitter was preparing a crime.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:37:25 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 29, 2016, 01:45:12 pm »

True patriots to *insert country here* will suss out evil-doers and traitors to the authorities.

You are a part of our society and must be proactive in ensuring our societies welfare.  Ignoring threats to our society makes you just as bad as the criminals.

/propaganda
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 30, 2016, 06:06:57 am »

“Until they became conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.”
- George Orwell, 1984

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 01, 2016, 05:27:36 am »

Well, UR, I don't know the details, but in most countries people need to be able to prove you knew of the crime, which is bloody hard. Like, Jawad "the Host", who hosted the Paris attacker in his flat before the attacks, but claimed that he didn't know what they were up to, and pretty much walked free to become a meme machine (although apparently they found his DNA on a suicide vest yesterday, so that might not last for long).

Spoiler: Meme (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 164