Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 165

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 198540 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1020 on: October 02, 2016, 09:48:06 pm »

Aye.  Most of their foreign support of late came from Venezuela, which isn't exactly writing cashable checks anymore.  FARC has been declining over the last few years, with foreign income dropping, increasing effectiveness by the Colombian military and police, decline in both voluntary and "enforced" recruitment as they're driven further into the periphery, and the growing inability to shift cocaine through Venezuela in return for cold, hard cash.  This is in fact one of the major reasons they've suddenly become so amenable to a negotiated settlement.  That said, they are not completely without power yet, and they can still do quite a bit of harm in their dying throes. 

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 11:10:46 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: October 04, 2016, 11:18:29 am »

Man, you guys need to get over your collective inferiority complex. So much you could do if you loosened up a little, turned your mind away from just you and us...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: October 04, 2016, 11:20:14 am »

Russia is conducting the biggest civil defence exercise in decades, involving about 40 million people, over 200 000 rescue workers and over 50 thousand vehicles across the country. Judging by the mentions of underground shelters and civil defence sirens, it's likely a nuclear war scenario.
Furthermore, according to RIA Novosti, Moscow authorities claim that the city's underground shelters are 100% ready to hold the entire population of the Russian capital. Someone must have been reading Glukhovsky's Metro 2033...

When two tribes go to war
One is all that you can score!

If the Cold War was still ongoing, this wouldn't raise an eyebrow, but now when there is less fear of a nuclear war, it does...

Also, could you try to provide english translations? :P I'll go and use google translate, but everybody knows how crappy that tends to be.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.interfax.ru%2Frussia%2F530781&edit-text=

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fria.ru%2Fmoscow%2F20160929%2F1478130933.html&edit-text=

The last time the US did nuke drills was, I dunno, 60's?...

edit: Neither of them mention nukes, so, it could plausibly be for conventional bombing of Moscow, as unlikely as that would be.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 11:25:51 am by smjjames »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: October 04, 2016, 11:47:31 am »

If the Cold War was still ongoing, this wouldn't raise an eyebrow, but now when there is less fear of a nuclear war, it does...

Also, could you try to provide english translations? :P I'll go and use google translate, but everybody knows how crappy that tends to be.

Very rough translation:
Quote from: first link
Ministry of Emergency Situations will conduct the All-Russian Civil Defence Exercise that will involve more than 40 million people, the head of the ministry's Civil Defence Department Oleg Manuilo told Interfax.

"The exercise will be conducted from 4th till 8th of October. 40 million people, over 200 000 rescue workers and over 50 thousand vehicles will take part in it", he said.

Federal executive authorities, heads of regions, local self-government and organization organs will be involved.

Also, emergency rescue services will take part in civil defence exercises. The viability of current plans for various periods and readiness of all forces will be tested.

"In practice, alerting and assembling federal ministries, executive organs of federal subjects and local self-government will be tested", said Manuilo. Evacuation procedures, handing out personal protective equipment and establishing medical posts will be trained.

"Furthermore, civil defence shelters will be readied. Civil defence warning systems will be tested in cooperation with regional and municipal authorities", reported Manuilo.

Quote from: second link
Underground shelters for Moscow's population are 100% ready and can hold the entire population of the city, the deputy chief of Moscow's chief emergency situations department Andrei Mischenko told journalists on Thursday.

"New civil defence measures allowed us to conduct stock-taking of the city's underground spaces, allowing us to plan the sheltering of all population of the city"
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: October 04, 2016, 11:49:32 am »

Amongst everything else, there's http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-usa-nuclear-idUSKCN1230YN which strikes me as something they wanted to do but have needed a 'suitable' excuse for...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: October 04, 2016, 11:55:11 am »

Amongst everything else, there's http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-usa-nuclear-idUSKCN1230YN which strikes me as something they wanted to do but have needed a 'suitable' excuse for...

Does anybody really believe that they won't use it for the military? Unless there are other treaties that prevent that. But then again.....

I'm also curious at the sudden nuke drill, Putin could just be playing some sort of political or PR game here though.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:00:26 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: October 04, 2016, 12:09:17 pm »

Also, Erdogan is continuing his crackdown and from the BBC article, it sounds like the Kurdish region has been hit the hardest. I'm sure they'd give their own explaination for why the Kurdish region has been hit hard, but it doesn't seem like mere coincidence.

http://www.politico.eu/article/turkey-suspends-more-than-12000-police-officers/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37551889

Found the reason for Russias sudden nuke drill: http://www.infowars.com/40-million-russians-to-take-part-in-emergency-evacuation-drill/ (yes I know it's Infowars)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 01:55:51 pm by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: October 10, 2016, 10:42:32 pm »

I guess I'll put it here: apparently under a new just recently tested system that is planned to be implemented along the entire Russia, all non-federal civilian administration, including governors, local and regional governments, and regional branches of: 1) internal affairs ministry (basically police), 2) ministry of emergency situations (first responders), 3) FSB (you all know who they are), 4) and the newly formed "RusGuard" (which is basically like USA's National Guard, only more evil), are now to be placed under direct military control (as in, they give orders to them) during war time (or martial law, though these two seem to be used interchangeably in the article).

This kind of ridiculous centralization of power doesn't seem sane to me. Who the fuck thought that this was a good idea?

Russian government is already absurdly centralized to the point that if you take out the central administration in Moscow, you'd be effectively collapsing the entire system, since there are zero mechanisms for smaller-level administration to carry out the functions of the higher-level ones, how did someone manage to look at that and think that "clearly Russia is not centralized enough, what Russia needs is even more centralization!"?
._.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: October 10, 2016, 11:26:46 pm »

That's a really sick auditorium they've got for evil military conferences.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: October 10, 2016, 11:44:19 pm »

What happens when Putin retires/dies of old age?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: October 11, 2016, 12:01:03 am »

What happens when Putin retires/dies of old age?

The life model decoy takes over.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1032 on: October 11, 2016, 05:13:19 am »

aw shit I don't have a bunker, how will i survive wwiii

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: October 11, 2016, 05:15:14 am »

aw shit I don't have a bunker, how will i survive wwiii
Dig deeper
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 165