Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 164

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 198466 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1320 on: February 09, 2017, 02:40:29 pm »

Staballoy use in tank munitions is nothing particularly new or notable.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: February 09, 2017, 02:48:57 pm »

For the world - probably, for Russia - it's her first time doing that.
._.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: February 09, 2017, 04:39:40 pm »

Depleted uranium makes for good anti tank munitions since not only is it dense as hell, its also flammable AND poisonous. Its really no surprise that Russia would be putting effort into having its own supply of such munitions for its new supah kool tank.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: February 09, 2017, 04:58:46 pm »

Supah kool supah hevvi tank;)

(Edited for better link. Also to say that I know that wasn't Super Heavy, just Heavy, but the Russian SHs aren't anywhere near as "kool" as that, or the US T28 Super Heavy maybe-tank-maybe-SPG.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:11:20 pm by Starver »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: February 09, 2017, 05:54:39 pm »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/125_mm_smoothbore_ammunition 

It might not be widely publicized like NATO DU use, but Soviet and Russian DU rounds have been a thing since the 80's.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: February 09, 2017, 06:15:55 pm »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/125_mm_smoothbore_ammunition 

It might not be widely publicized like NATO DU use, but Soviet and Russian DU rounds have been a thing since the 80's.
In mass production, I mean. DU rounds have never been in mass production in Russia, AFAIK.
._.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: February 09, 2017, 06:25:24 pm »

Heck, doesn't the M1 use DU in it's armor too in some fashion? Great density isn't only good for punching trough shit, it's also good for stopping shit from getting punched trough.

And the T14 is years ahead of most western stuff, mostly because it was actually designed and developed in this century a literal new generation of MBT and the west needs to scramble to catch up. Heck, I'm not sure the US is actually even trying as I remember reading a year or so back about the attempts to cut down M1 production so work on a next generation could start, it kinda failed since certain senators with M1 factories in their states insisted that the army needed more of the same, almost 40 year old tank.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: February 09, 2017, 06:30:42 pm »

Heck, doesn't the M1 use DU in it's armor too in some fashion? Great density isn't only good for punching trough shit, it's also good for stopping shit from getting punched trough.

And the T14 is years ahead of most western stuff, mostly because it was actually designed and developed in this century a literal new generation of MBT and the west needs to scramble to catch up. Heck, I'm not sure the US is actually even trying as I remember reading a year or so back about the attempts to cut down M1 production so work on a next generation could start, it kinda failed since certain senators with M1 factories in their states insisted that the army needed more of the same, almost 40 year old tank.

I've read something about a new tank being designed in the works which is up to date and designed for this century and is also going to be designed to be modular in the sense that it can be updated easily, which is a problem with the M1 Abrams. Won't be in production until like maybe 10 years from now, or just not real soon.

So yeah, we have to catch up.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: February 09, 2017, 06:41:21 pm »

The modern M1A2 is hardly the same tank that rolled off the production line in the 80s.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: February 09, 2017, 06:47:47 pm »

True enough, but it's still a variant of the same base design, one which was made without newfangled tech in mind, and you can only go so far within those confines before being forced to call it a whole new tank.

Not saying it's bad or obsolete, heck, it's still one of the most powerful AFV's in the world but it's falling behind even if it's not immediately obvious. Stuff like the T14 and PL01 are freaking space tech when you consider what they got crammed in and they were designed from the ground up with that stuff, you can hardly stick an unmanned turret on to the M1 and call it good to go, that shit requires a total redesign of the platform.
AS - IG

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: February 09, 2017, 06:51:37 pm »

The modern M1A2 is hardly the same tank that rolled off the production line in the 80s.

True, but they're running into limitations in the platform itself and are trying to design a new platform thst is as modular as they can get it to be.

It's the same reason that Russia and Poland did a complete new design, the existing platforms were designed for a previous era.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:54:25 pm by smjjames »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 09, 2017, 07:00:24 pm »

The PL1 is actually based on an older design, but it wasn't a tank but an APC variant that was gutted rather toroughly so that only the vague shape remained, it's what allowed a completely unmanned turret, they had room from shrinking the troop compartment.

Anyways, I'd say this is enough AGG derailing from me, back to politics from now on.
AS - IG

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: February 10, 2017, 05:06:03 am »

Then, of course, you could ask wether big tank battles are still a thing that will happens. Air power has made a ton of progress.

Russia's new tank. It's also known by designation "T-14". Is a lot more advanced than other Russian tanks, and among other advantages - can be operated remotely/fully automated, which could be very good with the future AI technology.

I though only the turret was remotely operated, and from within the tank itself.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: February 10, 2017, 10:07:04 am »

Russia's new tank. It's also known by designation "T-14". Is a lot more advanced than other Russian tanks, and among other advantages - can be operated remotely/fully automated, which could be very good with the future AI technology.

I though only the turret was remotely operated, and from within the tank itself.

That's like calling a plane that is flown by fly-by-wire remotely operated even though the pilot is the one doing the controls and inside the plane.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 164