Advanced search  

Poll

Herp?

Derp!
Derp!
Derp!
Derp!

Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 1328

Author Topic: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...  (Read 883241 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...
« Reply #4095 on: December 03, 2015, 01:04:25 pm »

Mio confirmed for dirty furry
Black lives matter.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: December 03, 2015, 01:06:32 pm »

Mio confirmed for dirty furry
*spits out drink*
...You what.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: December 03, 2015, 01:08:08 pm »

You heard me, mortal.
Black lives matter.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: December 03, 2015, 01:12:57 pm »

ur faic is mortal, lol
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: December 03, 2015, 01:16:40 pm »

I know what my next upgrade to the limb enhancers is going to be :D
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: December 03, 2015, 01:17:50 pm »

You heard me, mortal.

Ringo would probably do that.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: December 03, 2015, 01:24:08 pm »

TBF, stop using metaknowledge for anything except comedy, or I will evict Alan from the game. Meta-ing with no justifiable excuse (having faced these same opponents, for instance) is tantamount to powergaming because you have an advantage over the rest of us for no good reason. We will not tolerate that.
Define justifiable a bit more clearly, please.

But otherwise, message received.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:25:43 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: December 03, 2015, 01:37:15 pm »

TBF, stop using metaknowledge for anything except comedy, or I will evict Alan from the game. Meta-ing with no justifiable excuse (having faced these same opponents, for instance) is tantamount to powergaming because you have an advantage over the rest of us for no good reason. We will not tolerate that.
Define justifiable a bit more clearly, please.

But otherwise, message received.
I assume it's something similar to if for instance, a pokemon character advocated using grass attacks against ground types, or Olimar said to use Rock Pikmin against a shaggy long legs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: December 03, 2015, 01:39:48 pm »

Yes, but if you've played the game and been Olimar or Ash or whomever, are you allowed to know these things?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: December 03, 2015, 01:41:30 pm »

For instance, justifiable meta:
Mio, a Hero who's fought Vertex for four+ years, tells you how to kill Vertex.
A Pokemon Trainer tells you not to use Ghosts against Normal types.
A person who has spent literally their entire life studying another world's stuff to death gives you a little bit of info.

Unjustifiable meta:
A gamer somehow knowing how to beat a real life boss when the boss isn't constrained by programming as in the game.
Knowing about the whole setting from a Google search or Wikipedia.

Basically, just because the game has similar things doesn't make it the same blasted thing, and you could be wrong anyway. Assuming meta knowledge is always true is not only annoying, it fucks yourself over when it isn't.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: December 03, 2015, 01:44:57 pm »

But knowing the boss can do x things as per their programming in a game, and talking strategy as per said, would be fair?

Well duh, you'd have needed to actually invest time and read the entire setting wiki.

Also, why do these examples remind me of bear lore?

Basically, just because the game has similar things doesn't make it the same blasted thing, and you could be wrong anyway. Assuming meta knowledge is always true is not only annoying, it fucks yourself over when it isn't.
And Alan would deal with that difference when it came up.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:48:02 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: December 03, 2015, 01:47:53 pm »

Just don't do meta, at all, unless it's jokingly or justified by the character coming from said setting or having visited, lived or studied in said setting before. If there is a convincing exception, which is not and will never be Alan/is, myself and Sanure will allow it.

I haven't the patience to define it, nor the time.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: December 03, 2015, 03:26:50 pm »

Dear Elf:
Congratulations.
You have effectively voided all of Alan's backstory with that decision.

Look, I'm not expecting a lot here, but seriously, is it that unreasonable for an inveterate gamer/(book/wiki)worm to know at least the basics?  I'm not talking 'Can do the fight from memory/has all the weapons memorized', I'm talking 'Knows this person is heavy into fire magic', or knowing what type of breath weapon a given color dragon has.  It's not deep lore stuff, it's basic information that anyone who bothered, and had resources that contained said, could know.  Like, y'know, major characters' names, and history.

Heck, if you want to make it a knowledge roll, go ahead.  I'm perfectly fine with that.

What I'm not fine with is the assertion that anyone who doesn't live there or get their information from there cannot know anything about the place.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:35:19 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: December 03, 2015, 03:40:13 pm »

1. I didn't say only people who lived there could know. If you studied it (aka. more than just using a wiki, but actually going out-and-out to the place itself, studying texts and etc.), or could convince me that it was both justified AND wouldn't be abused stupidly, then I'd be happy with it. Alan clearly and definitely doesn't fulfil any of those, unless he's somehow an interdimensional planeswalking scholar man.
2. I haven't voided any of Alan's backstory. I've voided his ability to metagame because that's the issue here, not his backstory. Furthermore, it's not my fault you made a character with the potential to metagame, nor is it San's, or anyone else's.
3. Inveterate gamer knowing a basic thing? Fine. Inveterate gamer basically knowing everything about the setting (i.e. what Alan did with Metroid)? Unadulterated bullshit.
4. You've been hauled up too many times over it, and haven't known when to stop metagaming to the point that the actual GM of the game wants to either nerf Alan or kill Alan. If his metagaming wasn't a problem, I wouldn't have had to severely restrict it, period.

Argue the logic or lack thereof, or whatever you feel is rational, but I'm sick of having to come back here to see Sanure pissed off at you because of metagaming and I'm also sick of people complaining about metagaming, so I'm ending it for anything apart from jokes. And if you want to overturn my decision, persuade Sanure to convince me otherwise.

Yes, I'm going to be unreasonable. No, I don't care one dot, as we've had far too many complaints to not do something about it. My decision, unless I feel otherwise, will remain.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:41:49 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: December 03, 2015, 03:41:50 pm »

Possible solution to the meta issue, in regards to Alan: Retcon him into being from an Earth where most of the represented content doesn't exist? Then he can still be Genre Savvy without being meta.
...Then the gamer thing would let him recognize tropes and such and guess, but still possibly be wrong.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 1328