Advanced search  

Poll

Herp?

Derp!
Derp!
Derp!
Derp!

Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 1328

Author Topic: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...  (Read 879561 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...
« Reply #8415 on: January 27, 2016, 11:51:59 am »

I think you're thinking of the PTSD it would cause Alanis.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8416 on: January 27, 2016, 11:52:32 am »

"You sure know which buttons to push. Fine."
Black lives matter.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #8417 on: January 27, 2016, 11:52:38 am »

DONE!
no
i will kill it if want to
kill your own worlds in your own plots you lazy sod ;-;
Well, if you insist.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: January 27, 2016, 11:54:08 am »

"You sure know which buttons to push. Fine."
rude
*image of mio cracking a whip* back to your corner

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8419 on: January 27, 2016, 11:57:34 am »

*winks at elf and puts away the big red button* Fiiine, But I will see a planet die.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8420 on: January 27, 2016, 11:58:14 am »

bad sanure
no killing planets
we already killed one

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8421 on: January 27, 2016, 12:06:42 pm »

Guess what? An in-universe perspective is irrelevant.The universe exists for the sake of us, the real people, not anyone inside the universe.

Which leads me to the point that all fourth-wall-damage done should be considered non-canon because otherwise, that way lies drama. As we have noticed here. And I think something similar happened back in Rise of the Magical Girls?

Anyways, if the world is explicitly meant to be fictional, like if it were framed as a romantic epic story with the people in it just being actors or something, it has to be built up around that idea. This game is not built up around that idea, so all meta-shenanigans and things-that-imply-fictionality should be subjected to what I hear is called the Brown Tewi Rule: Canon is not immutable. Everything can be as canon or un-canon as we the readers like, so  long as we don't try to hold two contradictory ideas. In this case, Alanis's evidence that the multiverse is a fictional construct contradicts the generally held belief that characters should not break the fourth wall and talk about the universe being fictional unless it's for laughs. So, clearly, Alanis's evidence must be thrown out or ignored, because it is like, 90 times less real than what the actual players want out of the game.

Kapeesh?

In the defense of the character of Alanis, I feel like the general hostility towards her character is not due to the contents of her beliefs but rather how vital and recurring these beliefs are to her as a character. There is an argument to be had that Alanis is exceeding the limitations of how much 4th-wall breaking can be allowed or proper, but if this were something perhaps occasionally pondered upon by Alanis to a similarly philosophical person she could privately confide to, rather than something she constantly brought up and tried to convince other people of. I feel like this would be true whatever Alanis's believed, whether it was "Meta" or not; if she constantly raved on and on about how the Judeo-Christian God or the Flying Spaghetti Monster ran the Multiverse instead of the "Divine GM", then I feel like there would be the same amount of "Shut up Alanis" IC & OOC, sans the 4th-wall discussion.

If it's true to Alanis's character for her to have her own grand unifying theory about how the multiverse works, then why put a stop to it? Regardless of whether she is right or wrong IC, isn't that how she operates? How many intellectual 17-year olds aren't annoyingly arrogant and weird?

Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #8422 on: January 27, 2016, 12:10:43 pm »

In the defense of the character of Alanis, I feel like the general hostility towards her character is not due to the contents of her beliefs but rather how vital and recurring these beliefs are to her as a character. There is an argument to be had that Alanis is exceeding the limitations of how much 4th-wall breaking can be allowed or proper, but if this were something perhaps occasionally pondered upon by Alanis to a similarly philosophical person she could privately confide to, rather than something she constantly brought up and tried to convince other people of. I feel like this would be true whatever Alanis's believed, whether it was "Meta" or not; if she constantly raved on and on about how the Judeo-Christian God or the Flying Spaghetti Monster ran the Multiverse instead of the "Divine GM", then I feel like there would be the same amount of "Shut up Alanis" IC & OOC, sans the 4th-wall discussion.

If it's true to Alanis's character for her to have her own grand unifying theory about how the multiverse works, then why put a stop to it? Regardless of whether she is right or wrong IC, isn't that how she operates? How many intellectual 17-year olds aren't annoyingly arrogant and weird?
You're not wrong, to be sure. :V

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: January 27, 2016, 12:11:23 pm »

i don't do that
but then
i'm neither intellectual nor indeed capable of such shenanigans

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8424 on: January 27, 2016, 12:13:08 pm »

I'm not even classified as an Intellectual, nor sentient, creature, so I don't think you can apply that to me~
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #8425 on: January 27, 2016, 12:15:49 pm »

-snip-

I kind of agree with this. Although honestly, I'm mostly annoyed because TBF apparently decided to ignore the multiple GM rulings on the issue.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: January 27, 2016, 12:20:42 pm »

-snip-

I kind of agree with this. Although honestly, I'm mostly annoyed because TBF apparently decided to ignore the multiple GM rulings on the issue.

I agree when it comes to breaking the rules, that's not good. But then it's up to the GM to decide if and how they sanction rule violation.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8427 on: January 27, 2016, 12:22:09 pm »

The problem is that in character, neither of them care, but OOC, I am deeply irritated, and I am worried it may interfere with my objectivity.  It is also really annoying to have my immersion as a player broken every time Alanis is moody.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8428 on: January 27, 2016, 12:29:56 pm »

The problem is that in character, neither of them care, but OOC, I am deeply irritated, and I am worried it may interfere with my objectivity.  It is also really annoying to have my immersion as a player broken every time Alanis is moody.

What if you consider the likely possibility that Alanis is wrong? I feel like part of the issue for people is the perception that Alanis isn't only breaking her character limitations, but that's she's also right, and that the only way in which she is right is by transcending her own medium to refer to us that exist in the real world.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: January 27, 2016, 12:31:45 pm »

It's less immersion breaking if you assume it's wrong, yeah. Though the fact that technically speaking, it's right... well, makes it problematic. :V
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 1328