Advanced search  

Poll

Herp?

Derp!
Derp!
Derp!
Derp!

Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 1328

Author Topic: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...  (Read 879618 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...
« Reply #10425 on: March 01, 2016, 04:36:08 pm »

I'm not arguing anything about the bosses themselves or how they're statted, I'm arguing chargen issues.

We should know that x ability is too OP to work on any boss (see:Demi, which seems to have been noped on OOC grounds so far given that other magic has worked just fine) without having to test it on an actual boss first.
And I'm declaring that's unecessary, because single-unit (i.e. Trespasser, Libra and Pisces Vertexes) bosses are far more powerful and have more immunities thus far in general than the smaller ones (Bovus and Mus Vertexes). IC, explained by sheer power and eldritchness. OOC, necessity.

I shouldn't be having to ask people to tailor their skills to bosses or my bosses to skills because part of the point of a boss is that what it has is unknown to you until it starts lashing out and killing you as opposed to the mooks. I mean, there will be a bestiary compiled as I said already, but I'm standing by my viewpoint that there is no point trying to find out boss weaknesses prior simply because that defeats part of the challenge of a boss to begin with.

You have Sachi if all else fails and you have a ton of healers. Make use of your tools.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:39:06 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10426 on: March 01, 2016, 04:43:45 pm »

#&@$$@&@#&$@&$!!!!!!!
Minibosses != Bosses.  I am speaking strictly about single-unit bosses, as you put it, and even then, only the stuff that is categorical to all single-unit bosses and not to a specific boss.

I'm not saying ANYTHING ABOUT WEAKNESSES AT ALL.  ONLY the purely OOC-motivated uberstrengths.

I'm saying that if it's an OOC necessity to nope certain abilities on [BOSS]-class enemies BECAUSE THEY ARE [BOSS]ES, the person whose new ability is going to be categorically noped when they run into [BOSS]es should be told beforehand.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10427 on: March 01, 2016, 04:45:07 pm »

.....except I just said that most of the bosses HAVE IC-justified immunities that happen to mesh with OOC necessity, so if you want to find out their weaknesses, that is what you have Sachi for.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10428 on: March 01, 2016, 04:53:29 pm »

aaaaaargh

I feel like we're coming at this from two very different perspectives.

What I see is OOC-motivated ability noping on bosses, with IC justifications.  What you've said you're doing is that the abilities that are ICly negated are by chance the ones that are OP.

And either way, knowing that there is a set of things that most big bosses will be categorically immune to, I think that not letting it be known that certain abilities generally will be noped for mostly OOC reasons is not a good thing.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10429 on: March 01, 2016, 04:54:20 pm »

Okay. Requesting an increase in Advise's scaling (probably AFTER this battle) seeing as it's a Level 5 debuff that can't even stack the same types.
Request approved, what do you have in mind?
Higher scaling. When the time comes to actually discuss it, I'll go badger other people for advice on it. Plus assuming everyone level ups after this, it's going to be a Level 6 skill by then anyway.

I'm saying that if it's an OOC necessity to nope certain abilities on [BOSS]-class enemies BECAUSE THEY ARE [BOSS]ES, the person whose new ability is going to be categorically noped when they run into [BOSS]es should be told beforehand.
Fish, I believe what Elf is saying is that almost every single ability would have that warning because each boss has its own vulnerabilities and resistances.

.....except I just said that most of the bosses HAVE IC-justified immunities that happen to mesh with OOC necessity, so if you want to find out their weaknesses, that is what you have Sachi for.
Elf, I believe what Fish is saying that is that if an ability will never work on a major boss, or most major bosses due to being something such as Demi, it should have a disclaimer about it at the time of approval.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10430 on: March 01, 2016, 04:56:09 pm »

Except the issue is that just because the bosses of Mio's world are immune to petrification and Demi, does not then mean that the big boss of a Megami Tensei world or a Kamen Rider world is going to be immune to it.

OOC: Just because I design my major bosses like that does not mean everyone ELSE will. So it's hard to assume that bosses are going to be categorically immune to Demi (granted, it's more likely, but not a given). Especially considering they weren't even in MY plot.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10431 on: March 01, 2016, 04:59:19 pm »

But they probably will, because of the whole "OP" thing.  That's the point I'm trying to make.  That there's certain things that would merit a warn based on 'It's highly likely that people will plan to negate this ability in their bosses'.
Sigtext

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10432 on: March 01, 2016, 05:01:08 pm »

And that's a huge assumption, which is what I'm trying to say. I mean, YES they might block Demi, but they might not, and I won't know because not all the bosses are designed or made by the same people with the same immunities.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10433 on: March 01, 2016, 05:01:47 pm »

But they probably will, because of the whole "OP" thing.  That's the point I'm trying to make.
Look. This would be a perfectly reasonable suggestion in almost any other game. But the issue is, this game uses player submitted plots and bosses. Elf and Sanure have no idea if everyone else will permit it. I mean, suppose if Demi worked for the Trespasser, but none of the players plots accepted it. That's a real possibility here.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10434 on: March 01, 2016, 05:01:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you don't want to read the rant, TLDR: I haven't been having fun with the game, because I feel like my character his the least useful one in the game right now, due to there only having been 2 instances of them doing well in combat, as opposed to everyone else, and a lack of successful crafting to mitigate their all encompassing weakness.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:08:09 pm by Shadestyle »
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: March 01, 2016, 05:07:50 pm »

The possibility that a particular hypothetical future boss won't be immune does not justify letting abilities through, without comment, if most sane GMs would sheet up a generic, major boss to be immune to that particular ability.
Sigtext

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10436 on: March 01, 2016, 05:09:39 pm »

In that case, what we'll basically have to do is have everyone go tell them whether or not their bosses would permit it. Because relying on everyone to agree to what a "sane" decision is, ill-advised.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #10437 on: March 01, 2016, 05:11:28 pm »

Shade, if it makes you feel better, I've designed my next boss with Dackly and Gozer's abilities in mind.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: March 01, 2016, 05:11:34 pm »

The boss from my Persona plot would block it, but the enemies that come before it wouldn't.

But Dackly and Gozer couldn't come anyway because the plot is restricted to people who are or can pass for human.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10439 on: March 01, 2016, 05:11:52 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you don't want to read the rant, TLDR: I haven't been having fun with the game, because I feel like my character his the least useful one in the game right now, due to there only having been 2 instances of them doing well in combat, as opposed to everyone else, and a lack of successful crafting to mitigate their all encompassing weakness.
Take a good look at Sandra. She's one of my favourite characters and she's doing jack-all in combat.
thincake
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 1328