Advanced search  

Poll

Herp?

Derp!
Derp!
Derp!
Derp!

Pages: 1 ... 1144 1145 [1146] 1147 1148 ... 1328

Author Topic: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...  (Read 883149 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...
« Reply #17175 on: April 22, 2016, 10:09:54 am »

If we just go off the majority, very few Actions will require modification. Most attacks ARE implicitly in terms of Basic Attack. Most buffs ARE percentage-based.
HISS
Specifically, Parov Stelar, and single-turn boosts. Of the two True Buffers, Parov Stelar is Percentage, Kyle Johnson is Caster Stat.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17176 on: April 22, 2016, 10:12:10 am »

I'm starting to wonder why we need all of this capping in the first place.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #17177 on: April 22, 2016, 10:14:01 am »

tbh i think what we have going right now is fine. With this format, issues can be handled as they come up (e.g. we find out that maybe it's impossible to have a balanced Level 5 Deep Pass)
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17178 on: April 22, 2016, 10:17:17 am »

It is if they are redundant and make the game nigh-impossible to balance.

It isn't impossible if people actually, oh I don't know, make intelligent decisions regarding their actions, and what is expected of them, especially when someone tells you something is OP or UP on your own sheet.

It's not going to change the nature of the attacks, an attack will still be an attack, a debuff will still be a debuff. Having conflicting calculation methods isn't real variety. Do you see any sort of proper game that uses two completely different damage calculation systems? Because that's the status quo.

Yes it is, by simple virtue of completely uprooting systems that can interact in certain ways.  There is a huge difference between percentage based and stat based Debuffs.  You understand how phenominal the difference between -10 RES and -10% RES is, don't you?

And yes, I know several games that not only use two completely different damage calculations, but more than two, consider skills such as "1000 needles" "Demi" and "Ultima" from the Final Fantasy games, as one example out of several others, if you don't consider that variety, there is no hope for me even registering your argument from here on.

If we just go off the majority, very few Actions will require modification. Most attacks ARE implicitly in terms of Basic Attack. Most buffs ARE percentage-based.

Now that is just flat out wrong, as far as I have seen, the average is about 1/3 stat based, 1/3 percentage based, and 1/3 hybrid, no matter who you appeal to, that is 66% of buffs/debuffs being changed.

I might be mistaken, but even if it is like 5 sheets that need to be changed, unless all 5 of them were overpowered, it is unreasonable for force them to change their sheet because others have ruined it for them.

In fact the two minority Attacks that come to mind are Alanis' spells that need a nerf anyway, and Big Boom both of which already require reworking (the former being OP, the latter being underpowered).

And wouldn't you know, Both are in the works for being reworked, unless I am just being lied to in the OOC.

I mean, you imply (and don't say you do not, because that is precisely what your argument implies) the people here are incapable of problem solving and any form of civil discussion unless they are given hard limits to what precisely they can and cannot do, and that is not the nature of this game anyway, it isn't supposed to be that serious and straight laced, otherwise, neither of my characters would have gotten in, and I probably would not have joined anyway.

tbh i think what we have going right now is fine. With this format, issues can be handled as they come up (e.g. we find out that maybe it's impossible to have a balanced Level 5 Deep Pass)

I agree, but if people are going to push for this, I am certainly going to push back.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 10:20:55 am by Shadestyle »
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17179 on: April 22, 2016, 10:33:30 am »

One of the things I like about the game is the sheer freedom in character-making, and I don't want a convoluted system of limits on it.

Emp, I feel like part of the issue here is that the game is actually much less centered on its mechanics than you're making it seem, and by putting undue focus on it the game is being pushed into something it shouldn't be pushed into.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17180 on: April 22, 2016, 10:34:25 am »

That sums up my sentiments exactly.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17181 on: April 22, 2016, 10:37:04 am »

I agree with Powder Miner.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17182 on: April 22, 2016, 10:44:50 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, I am well aware that this is just a tempest in a tiny little teapot, but I'm still going to draw attention to it, in no small part because I've been trying to figure out how to even run a buffer efficiently when the two methods for doing so are completely different :P

Sleeping now.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17183 on: April 22, 2016, 10:47:06 am »

Emp.

Emp.

I don't give that much of a shit about mechanics.

Annoyance expressed. Fixes later. Pokeymans now.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17184 on: April 22, 2016, 10:50:00 am »

@Shade
Sanure did say he would get back to me on Big Boom, but that was a week ago soooo
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17185 on: April 22, 2016, 10:53:47 am »

poke what
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17186 on: April 22, 2016, 10:54:14 am »

*Shrug* I said it was one or the other didn't I?

PM him or something.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17188 on: April 22, 2016, 01:11:46 pm »

when do yall think elf is finally going to lose it and rehaul this game as completely freeform just to spite emp
my moneys on 2 weeks from today
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17189 on: April 22, 2016, 01:13:31 pm »

Geez no.  Never completely freeform.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 1144 1145 [1146] 1147 1148 ... 1328