Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249661 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the Mind-Killer
« Reply #195 on: December 23, 2015, 09:14:16 pm »

Incapacitate and grab as many rats as I can! If some die that's alright, just so long as I get some alive still.

Use my quick reflexes and skill in hitting things I gained from my karate to assist me in this rat-catching.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 23, 2015, 09:16:44 pm »

"Yep! Prefectly fine! The glass has always been there, doesn't hurt! Don't mind the blood that just happens sometiiiAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Stand up.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 24, 2015, 06:17:48 am »

"Dunno about the weather. I didn't pay much attention for it while I was between sky and ground. But now that I think about it it was warmer than it should be around this time of year, so I suppose it is wonderful. By stoat I suppose you mean that freak in the other cell? Odd guy, he is. First he treats me like a friend or something, giving me stuff, and then he tries gut me open for some inane reason."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 24, 2015, 11:23:29 am »

"Holy crap, is that going to happen to me?" I think for a second. "Those rats could still be him. Could you look at a rat's mind if we caught one?" I run out of the tower after the rats.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 24, 2015, 05:36:35 pm »

Incapacitate and grab as many rats as I can! If some die that's alright, just so long as I get some alive still.

Use my quick reflexes and skill in hitting things I gained from my karate to assist me in this rat-catching.

You leap into martial arts action, landing gracefully in the rats' path. Your first instinct is to kick, and as your foot slams down into a rat, forcing out a good half of its stuffing, the rest of the stream bifurcates behind it. The rats begin to scatter. The woman behind you dives on an offshoot stream, seizing a rodent in her hands. This seems more practical than kicking them to death, so you dive on the other stream - you catch three rats, of which you accidentally crush one and strangle another. By the third you've worked out an adequate method of rat incapacitation. Unfortunately this proves to be of little use, as by this point the rest of the rats have scattered to along the courtyard, disappearing into every one of the innumerable nooks and crannies scattered about the place.

"Yep! Prefectly fine! The glass has always been there, doesn't hurt! Don't mind the blood that just happens sometiiiAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Stand up.

This is extremely painful, you find. The screaming helps quite a bit, however, so you just keep doing that. The guard appears to understand, and does not level any physical abuse at you to get you to stop just yet.

Having risen from your bed of broken mirror shards and blood, you contemplate your next move while continuing to scream. It's not something you can keep up for very long at this rate, you think. Maybe you should ration your screaming carefully. Wouldn't want to squander that miniscule pain relief. You get the feeling you'll need it.

"Dunno about the weather. I didn't pay much attention for it while I was between sky and ground. But now that I think about it it was warmer than it should be around this time of year, so I suppose it is wonderful. By stoat I suppose you mean that freak in the other cell? Odd guy, he is. First he treats me like a friend or something, giving me stuff, and then he tries gut me open for some inane reason."

Oh yes, stoats are like that, she agrees. Crazy people, the lot of them. And it's the kind of crazy that sticks, she's heard. Runs in the family stronger than humanity. And they've been living in their ghettoes for who knows how long, so you know they've been breeding that crazy for generations. How they could not all be insane at this point would be even more mysterious.

Interesting to hear that the fellow in the other cell is a stoat, though. She keeps hearing him scratch about in the night. Probably up to no good, now that she thinks about it. Hm. Maybe she should complain to the turnkey, then. It is well within the rights of man to scratch around in their living quarters - but for a bloody stoat? Give those folk an inch and they'll eat the whole county.

"Holy crap, is that going to happen to me?" I think for a second. "Those rats could still be him. Could you look at a rat's mind if we caught one?" I run out of the tower after the rats.

Oh, she looks at rat minds all the time. Simple things. Not very abstract. Good for training, certainly, and many levels above flies, but seldom do they think anything of real interest. Especially very agitated ones such as these.

You guess it can't hurt to catch one, so you run after the rats. They start to run faster. You pick up the pace, and so do they. You sprint into the courtyard and the rest of the rats scatter as you pass a man currently strangulating a particular rat and a woman attempting to catch another in the folds of her skirt. Within moments you appear to have frightened them all off, the mass of Mr. Calverly's former flesh-fragments disseminating along the length and breadth of the castle.

You look back at the two peasants doing rat-catching. The man seems to have caught one alive. The woman is currently nursing a set of savage bite marks on her hands, having no live rats to show for her trouble.

Thomas Minstep:

You awaken. It is dark. And scratchy. And very confined, in fact. A few moments of careful reasoning tell you that you seem to be inside a bag. This bodes ill.

You do not know how you got here. You are being dragged along the ground. It is hard and heterogenous enough to present great discomfort to your soft bits, which feel distressingly unclothed at the moment. You have no idea what's happening.

What you can establish, however, is that something has gone terribly wrong here.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 24, 2015, 06:49:20 pm »

Pick up mirror frame and maybe the larger bits of mirror. Let's leave!
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 24, 2015, 07:11:13 pm »

I walk up to the two people. "Excuse me, but... can I have those rats? They, uh, belonged to a friend."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 24, 2015, 07:22:23 pm »

"All right, progress! I now know I'm better than the typical level one RPG character.
Well, better get back to the ritual sacrifice or whatever it is."

Go back to the circle with my rats.

I walk up to the two people. "Excuse me, but... can I have those rats? They, uh, belonged to a friend."
Jack pauses.

"Oh. Uh, unless you have a small living creature or ... what did the guy say? Something living that's precious to you that I can get in exchange, sorry but no. I need them for some sort of induction thing.

Or if you have anything purple, priceless, or profane. Preferably more than one of the three at once."
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 07:24:22 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 24, 2015, 07:36:37 pm »

Thomas frowned as he considered his situation.  He was pretty sure the last thing he remembered was going to sleep in his bed in his apartment, so being in a bag did not compute.  It certainly would not do.  As most anyone would do, he called out.

"Hello?  Who is out there?  Please let me out; I have a 9:30 conference for the Soroz account.  Mr. Munderly would be quite upset if I missed it!"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 25, 2015, 03:42:02 am »

"Scratching? Oh, that's probably him digging his escape tunnel. He got nasty habit of swallowing his tool and vomiting it back up when something needs stabbing. Disgusting to listen and even more so to watch. Are you saying there's even more of them? And they are breeding? Holy shit."

((I see my wound is gone.))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 25, 2015, 07:37:12 am »

Pick up mirror frame and maybe the larger bits of mirror. Let's leave!

You grab the mirror frame and the sharp shards - no need to be careful, of course. You're not even sure it is physically possible for your rate of blood loss to increase at this point. The guard shrugs as you walk off. If he needs you, he can just follow the trail of blood, he reasons. Or better yet, send somebody with actual enthusiasm for this sort of work.

You head out through the keep's foyer, passing the priest. He looks at you with excitement, running off as you slowly trudge out toward the chapel. Not having any better ideas, you go over there and stand in the center of the room. The priestess seems to have gotten up and left while you were gone, you notice.

You're not sure how long you wait, but you feel different all of a sudden when next you blink. The priest is next to you, kneeling beside a bucket of mixed water and your blood, a rag floating in it. You have been wiped clean of blood, shards removed from your flesh and gathered along with the ones you took as well as some the priest must have taken from the keep. He is wearing your bloodied robe, and you are wearing his cleaner one. Quoting apocrypha under his breath, he seems to be working on you even now, taking shards of mirror, then working them into the fabric of your robe, after breaking them into progressively smaller pieces. Off to the side the mirror frame, now completely freed of mirror shards, is propped up against a wall.

As you become more aware, the priest notices the clearing look in your eyes. He looks almost inexpressibly joyful.

"Well done, my child. As the dusk arrives, your raiment will be done, prepared to catch the light as you step into the sight of the Sun and Moon. Are you prepared?"

It does not hurt as much as it did, you find. You guess being swabbed with a filthy rag and getting all the bits of silvered glass out of you worked wonders for your well-being.

The woman does not seem to have any rats to her name, and merely stares at you with displeasure for a moment, then gets up and leaves on whatever business she was hoping to accomplish before this wasted serendipity.

Mr. Daniels, on the other hand, instead manages a polite refusal unless you were to provide something of equal or greater value in return. He does not bother to wait to see if you produce anything of that sort, instead just milling over to that circle of ominous stones you looked at earlier, looking contemplative of his prospects. He is soon joined by a tranquil-looking fellow with no shirt. As you look at him, he smiles and waves at you, inviting you to come over and join him.

"All right, progress! I now know I'm better than the typical level one RPG character.
Well, better get back to the ritual sacrifice or whatever it is."

Go back to the circle with my rats.

Replete with success you walk over to the stone circle, which is fortunately not very far at all. You are the first to arrive, soon followed by the man with no shirt. He looks pleased. Turnout promises to be reasonably good, though some of the people may be a little late, he says.

You present him your rats. He nods admiringly at the live one - that will certainly do. The standard offering, as it were. Though the dead ones - that is nice work, he says. Is that one strangled? Must have been delicate work. And the crushed ones - one with an application of great force, a kick perhaps... hm! Fascinating! And the other one with your hands, if he's not missing his mark. That takes talent, he says. Would you perhaps-

He pauses in his offer as he notices that woman who asked you for rats. He smiles and waves at her, motioning her to come over.

He turns back to you after a moment. So, would you perhaps be interested in a slightly greater role in the ceremony? They typically use a stone for it, but perhaps a set of talented hands would drive the point home even better? Hm, have you much experience in this sort of thing? Have you done any ritual work before, mayhap? And how do you feel about using your teeth?

Thomas frowned as he considered his situation.  He was pretty sure the last thing he remembered was going to sleep in his bed in his apartment, so being in a bag did not compute.  It certainly would not do.  As most anyone would do, he called out.

"Hello?  Who is out there?  Please let me out; I have a 9:30 conference for the Soroz account.  Mr. Munderly would be quite upset if I missed it!"

The dragging stops, and you hear a surprised "oh?"

You are poked with something that feels like a foot, and make an appropriate sound of displeasure, then repeat your request slightly more insistently.

"Eh? What's this, then?" asks a man's voice. "Rats aren't supposed to talk." A pause. "Wait, yer trying to trick me, aren't you? Bloody rats."

"Scratching? Oh, that's probably him digging his escape tunnel. He got nasty habit of swallowing his tool and vomiting it back up when something needs stabbing. Disgusting to listen and even more so to watch. Are you saying there's even more of them? And they are breeding? Holy shit."

((I see my wound is gone.))

They are breeding, yes, to the point where you have to pen them in so they don't get absolutely everywhere and mess up the life of good honest folk. It's bloody ridiculous, it is. Should just throw the whole lot into the Wondrous Land of El, see how those idiots like it. Not that it's her choice or anything.

Anyway, digging an escape tunnel, you say? And... ew, that does sound really quite disgusting. And rather illegal. It's the duty of honest citizens like you and her to put an end to this sort of thing, clearly. Your cellmate bangs on the door and calls for the turnkey, who shows up in a moment, opening the door just a crack.

The lady explains that she has it on good authority that the dirty stoat in the other cell is up to no good. And that he's actually a dirty stoat. It was a bit inconsiderate to not inform her of this fact, she mentions. It is an affront to her residential dignity, she would say. He's apparently digging an escape tunnel as well, the sneaky bugger. And smuggling things in his filthy gullet, too. A tool of some kind, notably, for use in escape tunnels and the like. Distressing, wouldn't he say?

If he could, the turnkey would say so indeed. He seems quite excited by this news, you'd say, to the point where he forgets to close your door as he rushes straight out of the dungeon, presumably to get his superior again.

As the turnkey leaves and the outer dungeon door slams shut, you hear what you recognize as the telltale sound of the stoatman's jail cell being unlocked, its hinges creaking as the door swings open. If you had to guess, you'd say he heard all that just now. Your cellmate makes a slight sound of concern at this development.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 25, 2015, 08:15:25 am »

"Hmm, this leaves us with few interesting options."

Leif steps out of the cell and leans against the wall right next to the door, watching what the stoatman is up for. "Oops?" He says at direction of the stoat. "Perhaps that was meaningless too?" With sarcasm bleeding from his voice. "But such is life."

Should stout decide revenge is in order, then incapacitate him. Perhaps not for life, but for sufficiently to discourage him from further activity.
Otherwise follow example of the much safer cellmate.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 25, 2015, 09:29:12 am »

I follow Mr. Daniels. "Please, this is barbaric. It's an innocent animal and it's very important to my friend. Why are you even doing this?"

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 25, 2015, 12:40:51 pm »

"Iunno. Sure, yes. What am I doing?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 25, 2015, 04:18:06 pm »

I follow Mr. Daniels. "Please, this is barbaric. It's an innocent animal and it's very important to my friend. Why are you even doing this?"
"Truth be told I'm not even sure. I woke up a while ago out back of a ruined house, no idea where I was, and this naked insane guy tries to fight me and then convinces me to go gather things to let him make me a cool sword, like this was an RPG or something. Then when I start wandering around looking for stuff to give to the guy, because why not, I figure if I'm hallucinating or in a coma maybe I'll snap out if I progress far along enough it, and if I was actually brought to an alternate dimension or whatever then I'd better get me a weapon or something because with the state of society around these parts I'd best be able to defend myself better than if I just had me hands. Anyway, I run into this shirtless guy here, who I initially thought was hitting me up for gay sex but turns out was actually looking to induct me into this cult of his, or maybe it belongs to someone else. Point is, I need something living and precious to someone preferably to proceed into it, and maybe being inducted into it will give me cool powers or something with which I can better collect the materials to get that sword made. And since the rats are evidently very important to your friend, it should work even better! How are they important to your friend? They all kinda appeared out of nowhere, so unless he turned into the swarm of them - which I don't know if it actually happened, I'm just guessing because that seems the type of thing to occur here - I'm sure he won't miss a few rats out of several hundred unless she or he's one of those pedantic types, and if she or he did turn into the rats then probably one rat only equals a few brain cells at a time or something. I've a finger with me at best. Anyway, I'm uncertain to the state of reality at the moment, so I'm unfortunately going to have to say in answer to your question, 'because I think it might give me cool powers', and yeah that's about that."

Jack stops to catch his breath after his sudden long-winded explanation, and then turns to shirtless guy.

"Well, I've not done any actual rituals, but the karate does have a lot of structure to it - bowing, kneeling, standing at attention, in a specific order, stuff like that, so I think I could pick it up rather quickly. And yeah I wouldn't mind all that much giving it a go - what did you say the benefits of this were again by chance? Just wanna get this down in my head what I'm doing in exchange for my former morality."
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 161