Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249646 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the Words Which Burn
« Reply #255 on: January 02, 2016, 12:42:58 am »

I suddenly realize I don't know what Stoat means.

*googles*

Lo, I am fighting an army of Weasels.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 02, 2016, 07:12:41 am »

"Which part of this was supposed to be difficult? Oh boys, this is so tempting..."

One vodka-filled grapefruit, please. Drink it up! Or eat it? Consume it? Either way, down it goes. And offer another strongly flavoured grapefruit to my cellmate. It would be rude to be the only one enjoying alcoholics, don't you think?

But wait, aren't these still my personal hallucinations? Hmm. Oh well, let's go all crazy in proper manner.

It is as deliciously alcoholic as you imagined, perhaps even more so. Goes right to your head. Man, you needed that. You laugh to yourself and offer one to your cellmate, who accepts one graciously. After all, you seem to be enjoying yourself, so it's all good.

You think you'll have another one, thank you very much. You go ahead and fix yourself another one. It looks just as delightful as the first.

Jack momentarily closes his eyes and goes to a mental place full of sharp things. It's a simpler place than wherever this is. Just draw a line in your head and cut. One point to the other. Nice and simple. Entrancing, even. There never was anything like a good sharp knife to just ... stare at and wonder what you could cut with it...

Oh right. People. Talking.

Jack shakes his head slightly as he comes out of his momentary self-distraction.
"Er, right. Yeah, that'd probably work. I just ... hmm. Do you think that rock the sacrifices are done on could be considered profane? Or would that be the sacrificial implement?
Do you know anyone who's not really that useful, maybe you don't like them all that much, wouldn't miss them if they were gone for some reason?"

Jack isn't quite registering that he's leading up to what he's leading up to, but the words come out of his mouth regardless.

The priest would certainly say that the slab and whatever you use to perform the sacrifices is profane and heretical. The priestess, the naked man suspects, would either heartily agree or disagree merely to spite her husband. As for himself, anything is equally sacred to him, which is to say not at all. But then, the slab has hardly seen anything larger than a cat obliterated upon it, so perhaps it would be only mildly profane even if one assumes the priest's viewpoint.

As for people that wouldn't be missed, well! That's certainly an interesting question. He's fairly sure he wouldn't be missed if he were gone, though he would admittedly prefer to survive if he could help it. And both the priest and the priestess have long outlived their relevance. Alternatively, one of the minders - why, if one of them were to suddenly disappear/go missing/otherwise be implicitly murdered, it is doubtful anyone would even notice. Anyone who is not a minder, at least.

"Right. Time to make a lot of people very angry."

Flare robe dramatically

"Prepare yourself. It's about to get Anime in this bitch."

Cup hands to side.

"Ka meeeee... HA MEEEEEEEE..."

Extent arms in direction of Stoats.

"Sun.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

SUN

Perhaps the word was a bit too understated. Perhaps the rhythm was incorrect. The result, however, is roughly the same - your dramatic robe flare is unfortunately wasted, as the only thing you feel is a slight warmth on your palms.

The stoatmen, for their part, take your strange gestures in good humor, deciding not to waste any bolts on you just yet. The priest looks at you from the cover of the battlements. He seems impressed at your shout, if underwhelmed at the follow-through, and suggests that you should perhaps duck.

I head back into the well to grab a brick.

Climbing down into the well, you find it looking mostly the same. There appear to be fewer rats about (most of which scatter as you descend), some bags and gold scattered about and a tub has been upturned, all traces of mischief from your fellows. The three minders remain as dead as before. Perhaps more so, as now you think you can safely say the third one - the blessed - is also dead (or at least dead enough for the rats to start taking chunks out of him just as readily as from the other two). And the door still warns you to be staying in away.

The pile of bricks is still there, naturally. They don't really look too magical, you think. Just hundreds of bricks that somebody wrote the word 'Water' upon for some reason. Though you do recall hearing somebody say something like that while you were down here.

Saying the word doesn't work in this case either, you immediately check. Guess that's one pattern established, at least.

Better than nothing.  "Thank you most kindly, Mr... well, I am Thomas Minstep.  And that is Mr. Daniels, you say?"  Thomas turned his attention to the mentioned man.  "Mr. Daniels?  Maybe you happen to know what day it is?  I am quite late for an important meeting, I fear."

Converse

Though he lies about hating to impugn on a question meant for someone else, the naked man suggests that it is probably Sunday. It depends on whether he lost a day or two somewhere along the way, or counted a certain day twice (there were a few that were unusually eventful). You should probably ask someone who is in the habit of recording each day. Perhaps the majordomo, or maybe the priestess in her silly shrine.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 02, 2016, 08:17:04 am »

"Mmm~. Free drinks, this is really awesome! Now then, my wonderfull countess, what's next in the minder curriculum?"

Proceed with education, enjoying few drinks every now and then.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 02, 2016, 12:50:36 pm »

Shit. Duck.

"Okay so that was supposed to fire a giant beam of destructive sunlight out of my hands. Apparently the cool Prophetic powers don't work like that. Hey, priest, what exactly am I working with here? Oh, also what is your name again?"
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 02, 2016, 04:24:35 pm »

"Hmm."

Approach priest, assuming I can figure out who he is.

"Say, my good man, now that I assume you had something to do with giving that one guy his powers, wanna help me possibly get some too? It'll only help to defeat the marmots or whatever."
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 02, 2016, 09:54:09 pm »

Magic sucks.

Wait, a door? I didn't realize there was a door. I walk up to the door and try to open it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 02, 2016, 09:55:54 pm »

"Uhhhh... thanks, Jack!  Why yes, I do believe I will find this majordomo.  Could you possibly point me in his directions, sir?"  Thomas found himself edging away from Jack.

Avoid that guy; he must be extra crazy.  Find that majordomo if given directions; just go looking for him if none are provided.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2016, 07:44:13 am »

"Mmm~. Free drinks, this is really awesome! Now then, my wonderfull countess, what's next in the minder curriculum?"

Proceed with education, enjoying few drinks every now and then.

Not really that much more to it, your cellmate explains. You simply need to keep adding things until you come up with a cohesive, persistent otherworld for your mind to inhabit. If you can come up with one at roughly the age of 10 or earlier, then those are reasonable grounds for admittance into the tower and more advanced training. It's mostly a test of your multitasking abilities and the malleability of your consciousness, which are things the minders like in their students. She didn't quite make the cut in her day, she says, so she wouldn't really be able to tell you much about what comes next. But even if you fail to catch their attention, you must admit that they are a marvelous distraction.

You do not reply immediately, your attention taken up by a fuzzy sea of vodka grapefruit-peaches, a richly textured peel filling the vault of heavens above, a bright blue ethanol flame in the sky illuminating your own little elemental plane of utmost enjoyment. You alternate between carefree snacking and drunken drowning, unable to decide whether inhaling or ingesting some of mankind's greatest vodka is more to your liking.

Shit. Duck.

"Okay so that was supposed to fire a giant beam of destructive sunlight out of my hands. Apparently the cool Prophetic powers don't work like that. Hey, priest, what exactly am I working with here? Oh, also what is your name again?"

You duck behind a parapet. No bolts come flying over you, so you guess nobody took offense at your shouting just yet. You ask the priest what exactly these powers you have are.

He takes a moment to think, looking at you, then peeking out at the stoatmen thoughtfully from behind the parapet, then back at you. Hm, he says. Ah, he thinks to himself. Yes, he concludes, raising his finger to begin clarifying his train of thought.

Clearly, he begins, then pauses, clearly the issue here must be thus, as outlined in the verses of Encroaching Darkness, set down in stone at the Great Henge. It must be, he reasons, that while you are the Child of the Sun and Moon, hallowed be your holy presence, exalted be your holy name, feared by the wicked be your holy celestial power... er, you are not the Sun, or the Moon. He pauses a moment, nodding along as the thought completes its formation. Yes, quite. You are not your father or your mother. Rather, you are derived of both. So you can't simply produce deadly amounts of sunlight. You must call it, reflect it, concentrate it! Like one of those hemispherical golden mirrors they have in those really fancy solar promontory-temples of El. Yes, that's it. Exactly like that.

You nod skeptically, but the priest assures you that the reasoning is perfectly sound. He can even remember a bit of scripture there, yes, something about the light of the sun, and probably some bush fires were in there, too. Something about a message from the Sun to its chosen prophet. So there's precedent - it all checks out.

You then ask him his name. He pauses. He never did quite introduce himself, did he? He's Prudence, Sun-Mouth of Anglefork. The back of your eyes itches for a second, and you feel the urge to sneeze.

"Hmm."

Approach priest, assuming I can figure out who he is.

"Say, my good man, now that I assume you had something to do with giving that one guy his powers, wanna help me possibly get some too? It'll only help to defeat the marmots or whatever."

You ask the naked man where Sun-Mouth Prudence went, and soon locate him atop the battlements, conversing with Mr. Codeburn from cover. This prompts you to take a look at what exactly they're seeking cover from.

It seems to be an army of those marmot folk, camped out for the long haul of an old-timey castle siege. Not sure why they call them that, really. They look a lot like people, though with considerably shorter limbs and overly long torsos. Not as furry as you'd expect. Not furry at all, actually. One of them gives you a distant, dirty look from the far distance, starting to idly wind up their arbalest. They move strangely, the lesser range of motion of their limbs seemingly compensated by an amazingly flexible spine. You give the marmot person a challenging look as they finish winding up the weapon. They pretend to lose interest as you lean on the parapet, looking unimpressed.

Right, so you ask the priest if he can give you any powers. He looks up at you, sizing you up. You seem pretty foreign just like the Child of the Sun and Moon here, he says. And just as the Sun has its Mouths and the Moon has its Hands, so must the Celestial Champion have his... uh, Stalwart Friend! One who embodies the Earth Illuminated! Yes, that's it! The Child of the Sun and Moon must have the Champion of the Earth to guide him in his glorious travels. And it just so happens that you fit the bill - large, foreign, slightly fearsome. Perhaps with a few unsavory associations - all in the past now, of course, what with you having seen the literal light. You almost fit the bill, too! All you need is a proof of pedigree.

A proof of pedigree? A document? No! Something from the depths of the earth, forged in the deep fires! He's not really sure where you'd get that, of course. But he's confident that, as Champion of the Earth, you'd be able to figure it out. You're supposed to be the knowledgeable one, after all. The beefy, yet cerebral and streetwise sidekick to our brave young conduit of the heavens themselves.

Magic sucks.

Wait, a door? I didn't realize there was a door. I walk up to the door and try to open it.

The door is dark apart from the luminescent letters, and there is no visible knob or anything of that sort on it. You move closer. The door is warm, dark, damp. Inviting. You place your hands on it. Soft. Enveloping. Your hands sink into it, and you push further. It parts before you, inviting you to step inside.

On the other side you see only darkness. Pitch black at the edges. Darker still in the center. Your heart feels warm, your stomach full. You are about to step over the threshold to the well. It hungers for the warmth of your kind. It overflows with warmth of its own.

Step inside. Present one desire. Present one question. Speak plainly, and receive the same.

"Uhhhh... thanks, Jack!  Why yes, I do believe I will find this majordomo.  Could you possibly point me in his directions, sir?"  Thomas found himself edging away from Jack.

Avoid that guy; he must be extra crazy.  Find that majordomo if given directions; just go looking for him if none are provided.

As one might expect, the helpful naked man directs you to the biggest building around - a majordomo needs a domus maior to fulfill his role, wouldn't you agree? You nod and set off, walking into the keep, the door of which appears to currently be unguarded. It becomes apparent why that is in a moment.

The foyer looks absolutely packed with servants, most of whom look rather direly concerned as they group around all the entrances, exits and even all over the stairs leading to the upper floors. Their fearful chatter nearly drowns out the commotion that seems to be coming from the upper floor. You hear yelling. Maybe this isn't such a good time. Worse yet, you can't even tell if any of these people are the majordomo at a glance. And if you wanted to seriously look for him, you'd probably have to elbow your way through the crowd, which seems a bit rude.

You think somebody's fighting upstairs. Oh dear.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 03, 2016, 08:18:00 am »

"Sounds like it fits. Prophecy's pretty nice that way in how it can be moulded. And it even works as well, in that I need to get some things to get that blacksmith kid to make me a kickass sword. Do you have anything purple on you? Also do you mind following me to that there sacrificial stone there since you've fulfilled your part of fate and all?"

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 03, 2016, 11:20:14 am »

Inhaling is not the proper way, you know? Drink it. Or eat it.
Utmost enjoyment as it provides, it is not perfect yet. It needs an island. And on the island should be a church. Burning one. My little bonfire. Burning stone church! You know, we used to have our fun with those. Gotta remember our history. And respect it. Maybe repeat it, too?

And I need to be dressed properly for Valhalla's drinking party. An armor, like this one. The helmet, the cape, pants and the works. Hammer is not necessary, but would be a nice touch.

"What was it you shaid, a place of its own for my mind to reside in? My happy place. I think I found it... By Freyja's big tits, I didn't know hallucinations could be so effective. Free booze for everybody! I love you, shister! Where do I find those mints? Minders, I mean. I shaid minders, right?"
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 03, 2016, 11:55:35 am »

"Ah, so more, 'Spirit bomb' than 'Great turtle wave'. Gotcha. Hm... Oh, hey guy. What's your name again?"

Focus intently on my own Defence. Moon.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 03, 2016, 06:38:18 pm »

Elbow I must, most gently.  They do not understand how important this meeting is!  Was!  Whatever!

"Excuse me!  I must find the majordomo!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 03, 2016, 06:44:23 pm »

Too soon! You have awakened me too soon, Executus Toaster!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 03, 2016, 11:58:24 pm »

Woah. I step inside.

"My desire: knowledge of magic. My question: how do we leave this place?"

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 04, 2016, 01:45:57 am »

My question: how do we leave this place?

((By walking. Or by climbing up the rope.))
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 161