Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249667 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Bringing Out The Best In People
« Reply #345 on: January 12, 2016, 09:24:09 am »

((Beautiful timing for a 5))

"Well, if you need insurance, my firm can give you the peace of mind you need and deserve.  But yes, good fun and all, but I really must get going.  Does anyone here know how to get to Albany?  Or have a phone I can use to call a taxi?  I suppose if nothing else could you point me to the nearest highway?  I should be able to figure it out from there."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 12, 2016, 10:18:08 am »

"I think the door works by making deals of some sort. Last time it asked for a 'connection' and this time it says I have another to give, as well as a 'source' that it seems to value more. I hope that's not referring to you... hey, can you hear what it's saying?"

After speaking to the girl, I turn to the door. "I will offer a connection. My desire: a weapon. My question: what entities or forces are present in my mind?" I then step into the door if it seems necessary.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 12, 2016, 01:28:03 pm »

"Hmm. Probably not something to practice out in the open.

Say turnkey guy, would you mind helping me carry this sacrificial rock over to the blacksmith's house? I'll give you your knife still."

Idly inspect self for that second mouth, give turnkey the knife back and ask him to help me bring the profane stone over to blacksmith's place.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 13, 2016, 10:36:25 am »

"Likewise you were most pleasant cellmate I have had for... five years, maybe? I wish you swift recovery! Maybe we see again, maybe we don't. Farewell." Leif bids farewell to the lady.

"Thank you for your had work, my good man! I would offer you a drink if I had any. Now then, would you point me to the tower of minders?"

Proceed to minders tower. If any minders there make their presense known, demand they teach me their art. And since it seems they are not here, study the architecture and artwork a bit and learn secrets. Any secrets. For example location their secret stash of mead. Or location of actual clothes. Or... some other secrets.

You bid your ex-cellmate a fond farewell and ask for directions to the minder tower, which are readily provided. Thus you are out of jail! Finally! You celebrate your freedom by heading off to see the minders, going into the ancient tower.

[Tower of the Mind: 5]

You find yourself in a strange hall with black walls and a pure white floor, furnished somewhat like a circular lecture hall, except with a hearth at the center. Deserted and empty of human life, which isn't perfect. One would hope there would be some minders in here. Or at least stairs. But you see none of either until you have the idea to look up a little, whereupon you see the vaulted ceiling, which appears to have seven irregular white holes in it. And in one such hole is a small silhouette seemingly observing you. It retreats deeper into the hole as you look at it, leaving only the head peeking out.

Who... who are you? You're not supposed to be in here, it thinks.

Time to find out if that hot tip of the day from when I smashed myself with that sack of gold was true. Block the door with the rock and, uh. 'rest'.

[Heroic Rest: 5]

After making sure the door is safely blocked with your stupendously dangerous floating boulder and nobody's lurking in the shadows to kill you in your sleep, you go ahead and take a nap. The bed feels shockingly comfortable for a moment as your background levels of discomfort are alleviated. You grow used to not being in horrible pain disappointingly quickly, however, passing out contently for a while. Vague images and unfamiliar shapes manifest at the edge of your mind as you begin to dream.

You wake up some time later, feeling very refreshed and far less pink and tender. Why, you almost feel healthy, even! The stone is glad to see you recovering so quickly, and expresses congratulations. A servant tried to gain access to the room, it reports, but it managed to keep her out without need for violence.

"Well, if you need insurance, my firm can give you the peace of mind you need and deserve.  But yes, good fun and all, but I really must get going.  Does anyone here know how to get to Albany?  Or have a phone I can use to call a taxi?  I suppose if nothing else could you point me to the nearest highway?  I should be able to figure it out from there."

The highway, the guard behind you says with a little resentment in his voice, is about three hundred miles to the west, which isn't exactly the reasonable answer you would expect. And when you ask if there aren't any closer highways, they respond that there is only one highway. In the state, you ask incredulously? No, they say, in the world.

One of the sisters looks sadly at the stool she broke on your head, and the other stares at you with a growing sense of her drunken inadequacy. They and the guard who took you here seem to have legitimately no idea on what to do with you. This seems to be going nowhere, you deduce after some thought.

"I think the door works by making deals of some sort. Last time it asked for a 'connection' and this time it says I have another to give, as well as a 'source' that it seems to value more. I hope that's not referring to you... hey, can you hear what it's saying?"

After speaking to the girl, I turn to the door. "I will offer a connection. My desire: a weapon. My question: what entities or forces are present in my mind?" I then step into the door if it seems necessary.

Why doesn't it want to make a deal with her, then? She has connections. And probably sources, too! And... wait, it's talking to you? What is it saying? Why won't it talk to her, can you ask it? You consider asking it. However, you have a different question in mind. And a desire as well. You step over the threshold, as is correct procedure.

You have chosen to pay with a connection. The source is barred from following.

Your fulfillment: due to substrate adaptability weapons are available in several varieties. Choose from the following categories and subcategories: manifested (subcategories: singular, multitudinous, shapeless), grown (subcategories: explosive, long-ranged, detachable), thought (subcategories: pleasurable, frightening, alienating).

Your answer: template designated as "your mind" is linked directly to the substrate and interpreter (see substrate, template, interpreter). Substrate and interpreter are linked with poor throughput (see safety measures, substrate instability, template). Interpreter and substrate are linked directly to the external environment (see physicality, universality of language, template replacement). Interplay of template, substrate and interpreter created by linking may explain subjective perception of forces and entities within template, though alternatives are possible (see schizophrenia, delusion, misconception).

"Hmm. Probably not something to practice out in the open.

Say turnkey guy, would you mind helping me carry this sacrificial rock over to the blacksmith's house? I'll give you your knife still."

Idly inspect self for that second mouth, give turnkey the knife back and ask him to help me bring the profane stone over to blacksmith's place.

You're pretty sure you only have one mouth right now. Maybe the other one disappeared, or is perhaps simply very good at keeping itself closed. Not really any point in looking if you can't find it readily - you assume any mouth that could eat a full-grown stoatman would be fairly simple to detect under normal circumstances given your bodily dimensions. So instead you hand the turnkey his knife and ask if he'd like to help you move this slab.

[Turnkey's Joy: 5]

The turnkey toys with his knife for a second or two, then looks at the slab. On one hand, the holy circle will look awfully bare without it. On the other hand, isn't that the entire point of the holy circle? And the return of his knife does seem to have put him in a good mood. He blinks in agreement, and you try to carry the slab off a ways to reach the blacksmith's.

[Megalith Relocation: 6]

Though it is plainly too difficult to lift, it does seem to be circular enough to be nicely rolled once you stand it up on the side. It's still really heavy, obviously, but there are few things that two strong men on a mission cannot accomplish, and you conclusively prove that rolling around a sacrificial slab is definitely not one of them as you stand it up next to the blacksmith's front door. The turnkey blinks affirmation at you, nods and leaves you to it, presumably going off to get back to work, not that there really is any he needs to do with all the prisoners either released or executed.

[Sensible Dodge: 4]

You stand there a moment in the shade of the slab, admiring your handiwork. Sensing a challenge, the stone leans in your direction. The rather bad feeling you get proves entirely accurate as you step aside and the slab falls, squashing a perfectly good empty patch of ground where you once stood. Your superior situational awareness appears to have saved you once again. The slab sits still now, the dried bloodstain and the several fresher patches of residue from the limb mangling from earlier giving it a distinctly unholy look. The fact that the sun is disappearing beneath the horizon and the moon is slowly becoming the main source of illumination can only stand to improve things further, you believe.

Spoiler: Hot Tip of the Day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 02:30:27 pm by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 13, 2016, 11:56:41 am »

Thomas sighed.  300 miles west to the highway... that'd put his current location in the ocean?  No, no, they're still playing the part.  Amazing commitment, really.  Well, outward and onward, he supposed.

"Look, I promise I mean no harm to anyone- I just want to get home so I can make my meeting.  And since no one here wants to buy insurance, I suppose, then I have no more business here.  May I be on my way?"

Ask to leave politely.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 13, 2016, 12:46:31 pm »

@Harry Baldman if I rest again will i recover more wounds or do I gotta get out of bed?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 13, 2016, 12:59:27 pm »

I still have the Turnkey's knife in my inventory. If this is some sort of quantum buggery, grab it before it disappears.

Then bang on the blacksmith's door.

"Yo blacksmith, I got you your profane thing! Just two more now."
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 13, 2016, 01:19:14 pm »

@Harry Baldman if I rest again will i recover more wounds or do I gotta get out of bed?

Each turn of resting decreases wounds. Perhaps not by 2 this time (depends on the roll), but at least by 1.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 13, 2016, 01:20:24 pm »

TAKE NO CHANCES! MY SLEEP SHALL NOT BE DENIED!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 13, 2016, 02:22:57 pm »

What? Thinks? Not said? Ok...

"Name is Leif Erikson, descendant of mighty vikings who once ruled northern seas, and occasionally ardent worshipper of Odin and other ęsir and vanir. What you mean I'm not supposed to be here? Nothing prevented me from coming, therefore I am supposed to be here. Assuming you believe in determinism.
Now it is my turn to ask questions! Are any minders here? I came to learn their secrets since basic training seemed so easy."

To prove it is easy, I recreate that granite island and the burning church in my mind. But not alcoholic fruits. Not yet.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 13, 2016, 03:24:45 pm »

"I choose grown, explosive." After the well is done I step out of the door.

"Maybe I should have asked it about you," I say to the girl once I'm out. "I didn't learn as much as I hoped. The minders' summoning spell is complicated and has several different parts, which might be why my mind doesn't appear normal. I didn't understand a lot of the terms the well used, but it mentioned the 'source' again and I'm reasonably sure it means you. Giving you to it sounds dangerous, so I suppose I need to find another 'connection' if I want to ask it something else. But I've got to try this out first... watch out."

I walk over to the pile of bricks and test out my new weapon on them.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the Great Divide
« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2016, 01:52:01 pm »

Thomas sighed.  300 miles west to the highway... that'd put his current location in the ocean?  No, no, they're still playing the part.  Amazing commitment, really.  Well, outward and onward, he supposed.

"Look, I promise I mean no harm to anyone- I just want to get home so I can make my meeting.  And since no one here wants to buy insurance, I suppose, then I have no more business here.  May I be on my way?"

Ask to leave politely.

[Appeal To Decency: 1]

No, they reply in unison. Why should they let you go? After all, the captain implied you're up to no good or some such. The guard who brought you here forgets the specifics. So even if they can't beat you to a pulp while having a big old laugh, well, they're going to have to settle for temporarily inconveniencing you. Have to assert dominance somehow, by god. So you're going to stay here, and you're going to like it, one of the sister-guards tells you petulantly.

That being said, the three guards collect an assortment of wooden mugs and fill them up with wine, sitting down on whatever's handy (such as the savagely beaten individual who hasn't really moved much in the past minute) as they silently swill their brew. You check the basement door. It seems to be very locked. The guard who brought you here smirks. Not getting out, you hear him? Not getting out any time soon - that'll show you, you bloody spoilsport!

I still have the Turnkey's knife in my inventory. If this is some sort of quantum buggery, grab it before it disappears.

Then bang on the blacksmith's door.

"Yo blacksmith, I got you your profane thing! Just two more now."

The blacksmith pokes his head out of his house, looking highly irritated at the interruption. That lasts until you show him the stone. Profane, you mention again. You think you literally ate a person off it. Plus there have been blood sacrifices happening upon it for who knows how long.

He regards the stone with interest. Are those... bloodstains? Yes, you say! Some of them fresher than others! Yes, he exclaims! That is exactly what he needs! Exactly what... oh! Oh! Ah! Hm. You consider what that expression on his face means, and also consider asking if he's quite all right. Before you manage, however, he jerks his head to look at you. Very good, he says! Excellent start! But insufficient! On its own, he means. It's a perfectly good spot of profanity... hm, perhaps you could arrange the other two items so that- no, wait! That's precious inspiration he's got there! And he's wasting it on you! Be off! And get the other stuff! And don't bother him until you have everything!

The blacksmith's head almost fails to disappear inside before the door slams. You hear him pace around inside for a moment. He starts banging something on the wall. His head, you suspect from the sound.

TAKE NO CHANCES! MY SLEEP SHALL NOT BE DENIED!

[Continued Heroic Rest: 4]

Such a comfy bed. It mends the heart and soothes the soul to have a little time to unwind. You relax and drift in and out of dreamless sleep, letting yourself settle into an amplified state of relaxation. You catch yourself feeling unusually good after some time. In fact, you haven't felt this good since... er, you don't rightly remember. Ever, possibly!

One thing is clear, however: anyone who knocks the Ministry of Moronic Affairs clearly hasn't acquainted themselves with the job benefits.

What? Thinks? Not said? Ok...

"Name is Leif Erikson, descendant of mighty vikings who once ruled northern seas, and occasionally ardent worshipper of Odin and other ęsir and vanir. What you mean I'm not supposed to be here? Nothing prevented me from coming, therefore I am supposed to be here. Assuming you believe in determinism.
Now it is my turn to ask questions! Are any minders here? I came to learn their secrets since basic training seemed so easy."

To prove it is easy, I recreate that granite island and the burning church in my mind. But not alcoholic fruits. Not yet.

Er, okay. If you say so. And... basic training, you say? What basic training is that? The one with the visualization thing, you remind the little guy. Oh, he says. The aptitude test. Yeah, it's, uh, pretty easy, he guesses, once you get how it works. You're a bit old to be, uh, inducted, though?

Nonsense, you say. You can conjure vivid internal worlds with the best of them. This qualifies you to learn all the secrets. All of them.

[Induced Lucidity: 2]

For instance, in your inner world there is- oh, that's not an inner world, is it?

Er, as you were thinking, your inner world contains- he doesn't see any inner world. No, er, persistent images, you know?

As you were thinking! There's this granite- no, seriously. The whole point is, uh, that you create an image, right? Many images. Like an, er, room or something? Then you don't think about it for a while. And then at any given moment you, uh, recall it? No, that's not the right word. You don't recall it. It's just still there, even if you don't think about it.

He can show you his if you want. He hasn't really, er, been there lately. The snakes might need checking up on, now that he, uh, thinks about it.

"I choose grown, explosive." After the well is done I step out of the door.

"Maybe I should have asked it about you," I say to the girl once I'm out. "I didn't learn as much as I hoped. The minders' summoning spell is complicated and has several different parts, which might be why my mind doesn't appear normal. I didn't understand a lot of the terms the well used, but it mentioned the 'source' again and I'm reasonably sure it means you. Giving you to it sounds dangerous, so I suppose I need to find another 'connection' if I want to ask it something else. But I've got to try this out first... watch out."

I walk over to the pile of bricks and test out my new weapon on them.

The weapon is yours. As it snakes into your right arm, the limb falls asleep slowly from the tips of your fingers to your shoulder. A few moments pass as feeling is regained. Knowing the transaction to be complete you step back out again, the door giving way.

Thank you. Come again.

That done, you turn to the girl and explain the situation as she stares blankly at you, surprised at your emergence. She nods slowly as you tell her all about your strange experience inside, looking increasingly bewildered as you delve into the well's preferred terms. All right, that's all fine and good, she tells you. But why are you telling her this? And who are you, anyway? And what's wrong with this bloody well? It doesn't want to let her in for some reason! She's a perfectly good minder. Maybe not as good as the hidden, granted, but certainly good enough! She can float! Show her another minder within a hundred miles who can do that at the moment and she'll show you a filthy liar.

[Best Weapons Testing Practices: 6]

You let her have her rant. You've got a weapon to test, after all. You perform a flourish with your hand, an electrifying feeling going through your bones as you feel something swell in your palm. Examination reveals a smooth, baseball-sized cyst covered in skin, soft to the touch, easily plucked off from your hand. It wriggles dangerously as you hold it, at which point you decide to lob it at the nearby pile of inscribed bricks. As the bulb flies in a smooth arc, the idea that perhaps testing explosive weaponry in an enclosed space is distinctly unwise occurs to you.

[Foresighted Dodge: 4]

You duck and cover as the pile of bricks becomes an ornery cloud of shrapnel with a deafening boom - most of it misses you. A few errant shards tear up your dress lightly. The minder girl looks at the source of the explosion in puzzlement, holding a torn-off piece of her earlobe. Maybe coming here was an incredibly terrible idea, you get from her expression. Was that you, she asks. Don't do that again, whatever it was, she says immediately afterward, not bothering to hear your answer. She turns to the well door, methodically knocking on it in several places. This seems to produce little information.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 14, 2016, 02:06:34 pm »

"One out of three down and I only turned into an abomination against physics once. As far as dark fantasy tropes go, that's a fairly good track record.

Now then, let's check out that church, shall we? Probably something either priceless or purple in there that I can nab now that the priest's dead..."

Trot over inside the church I saw Mr. Explodey Moon Rock come out of a little while ago. How's it look as far as priceless or purple things go? Any stained glass or cool-looking idols or something?
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 14, 2016, 02:10:04 pm »

Well phooey; this won't do at all!  Well, he had been stuck in a room with people before; it was just usually him giving the sales pitch.  And if there's nothing else to do...

"Well, this is certainly a quandary.  It's a nice place, this castle, though.  You know, I am an insurance salesman, with a specialty in corporate accounts.  As large as this facility is, I sure hope it's already insured.  Even if it is, our firm offers highly competitive rates that I am sure compare favorably to your current provider.  And if you're not currently covered...  well, you should be!   As I said earlier, we do offer wine insurance, which many of our competitors do not.  And all those special effects, there's quite a bit of potential liability involved; did you know that?  With the ever changing state and federal regulations, you want a business partner that can stay on top of requirements for you.  Why, just the other day..."

Drone out a sales pitch

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 14, 2016, 02:10:26 pm »

"Sure, please show it."

I'm starting to be in mood for spiked grapefruits again. Imaginary rock is not being very cooperative, despite how well I know it.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 161