Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249681 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the Great Divide
« Reply #450 on: January 24, 2016, 03:19:15 pm »

"Dear, oh dear, a lack of present funds is the cause of the decline of our services?  Well, if you decide you don't want lawsuits tearing down your business, then I'll give you my phone number."  Lacking a card, Thomas is forced to simply recite his number a couple times.  "Now if I could kindly ask you the way to Albany, I will be on my way.

Finally giving up.

[Queen's Help: 4]

Look, she tells you with some exasperation. She's an educated sort, and really quite literate. She's learned geography and cartography, and she had this one tutor who made sure she had seen many maps in her time. She had to memorize quite a few of them. Do you follow?

Keeping that in mind, know this: she doesn't know where Albany is. Neither does she know what it is supposed to be. A city? A village? A kingdom? A county? This, she says, is a fairly good indication that it is either impossibly faraway or entirely nonexistent. And even if she did, they are in the middle of a bloody siege, and you can't bloody well go anywhere with all the bloody stoats outside! Where did you even come from?

BACK UP TO THE ROOF! Um. Can the MOON hide me?

[Stone's Turnaround: 4]

The stone, though expressing skepticism at the ability of these filthy stoats to plant a bolt in you, nevertheless agrees to your request, speeding you back up to the safe height of the roof. No need for any immediate hiding, even!

Guess that leaves you with the stairs. Or the stone-made hole. That might work too. And leave you a little less bolt-ridden in any case.

This was more fun when I was drunk.

Negotiations failed. Jump on that bastard who's throwing shards at me. Literally jump on him. Land on him with my whole gravity assisted weight. It's also probably good place to hide from offended archers.

Feeling your welcome to be bloody well outstayed in this yard, you dive into the well, the shadowbastard still waiting for your patronage of his excellent supplies of broken glass.

[A Well-Chosen Landing: 3 vs. 3]

His alertness does you no favors, however, as he manages to step out of your way. You land on some minders anyway, and this seems sufficient to prevent any serious harm to yourself, but the vicious bugger seems to have buggered off to a darker bit of the basement.

[A Generous Sampling: 3 vs. 3]

You need not look for him, naturally, as he makes his presence well known by the provision of yet another possibly blue bottle fragment. Holding on to your still wildly-spraying throat you roll out of the way and shake your fist at him. Perhaps sterner measures are needed to deal with him.

There also seems to be an entirely unrelated girl here, though she appears to have sampled some broken glass herself from the general state of her dark robe and her slightly mutilated earlobe. Why is that man trying to kill you? And shouldn't that be a fatal wound you have there? You also seem familiar somehow.

Before any of this can be addressed, Mr. Daniels steps out of a nearby door, buck naked and awfully pleased with himself for some reason. Maybe it was a bad idea to come down here.

"Thanks, well! You're really swell.
I apologize for that pun, I should know better. Can I exit now?"

Exit well darkness, look around, assess situation.

You may leave the well at any point. It will not stop you. So you do, stepping out through the readily-liquefying door, to the waiting room where the girl who accosted you awaits, clearly curious about your experience within. What was it like? What did you see? Did anything happen inside? Tell her everything.

You notice she asks this without actually turning to face you, or really making any actual sound. Forgivable, given she has currently turned to face Mr. Erikson, who appears to be in the middle of preventing himself from bleeding out through a very nasty nick on his neck - an artery if the spray is any indication - and there's a shady sort throwing fragments of a possibly blue bottle at him on the way. Not an impolite sort, mind you - as you enter the room, he does tip an imaginary hat to you before resuming a busy routine of cavorting about in his attempts to hurt Mr. Erikson deeply and completely.

She could have taken it worse, I suppose. I sip some mead. "It's a very grim situation. But the minders have brought me to Anglefork with a group of other people, and we're all trying to help. I have been investigating a strange door in the well that belonged to the Hidden, one that draws strength from connections between people. I believe I can channel significant power with our connection. Will you go to the well with me?"

I finish my drink and stare her in the eyes. Let's hope she believes I know what I'm doing. I lead her outside if she agrees.

[A Mention of the Well: 1]

The well? No. She takes a step back, letting go of your hand nervously.

No. She cannot. She once saw the hidden when she was a girl.

Some things are best left unsaid.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 24, 2016, 03:36:15 pm »

"Oh, it was pretty neat. It talked to me without really talking - it communicated like an AI, kept referencing other things when it was communicating, like if it mentioned bodies it'd say 'see flesh, bone, reproduction', stuff like that. It wanted me to give connections to it, whatever those are. I gave two and I got some good stuff in return. Uh... yeah not really much beyond that. I also think I know how to do magic now - well not quite yet, but soon. Now then, if you'll excuse me, I need to go rob the majordomo."

Go climb back up the chain to get out of the well. Pay no mind to the dude and Mr. Erikson, they can resolve their own business.

Then go approach someone - a guard or something - and ask where I can find the majordomo. I have to clarify something with him.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 24, 2016, 03:48:28 pm »

Right, time to burn the world. Aim at the 'outer earthworks' and show 'em some SUNlight.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 24, 2016, 04:15:50 pm »

Thomas sighed.  "Albany?  A city, of course  Capital of New York?  Of the United States of America?"  He sighed again, rubbing his eyes.  "I don't know.  I awoke being dragged about naked in a sack here in this area, with no idea how I got here.  All I want to do is get back to Albany so I can see just how badly I've missed my meeting with Mr. Munderly, who I am sure is very upset with me right now.  I'm just trying to get home, is all."

Expansion on a concept
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 24, 2016, 06:37:34 pm »

"Please," I plead, trying to convince her. "This could be the difference between living another day or being brutally murdered by an army of stoats. It is a dark and disturbing place, but we have to be brave."

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 25, 2016, 02:44:46 am »

"Hell if I know, girl. He's dead set trying to sell those shards of possibly blue bottle to me. Violently. I don't believe we have met. Leif Erikson is my name. Nice to meet. Any idea where I can find minders? Living ones, I mean, these three under my feet are already dead."

"Oh hey Daniels, fancy seeing you here. Have you eaten any more peole yet? You could try that one over there, I recommend him actually. Probably well seasoned."

Use Daniels as a shield and encourage him to eat the aggressive salesman. Failing that, dive behind the door. That should provide sufficient protection.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 25, 2016, 06:24:46 am »

"No, see, that one was an accident. I didn't purposefully eat the stoat. Nor do I remember it, for that matter, could've tasted good for all I know. I'm about to commit robbery anyway, no time. Thanks though!"
Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 25, 2016, 06:38:04 am »

" 'An accident'. Sure. Certainly."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 25, 2016, 06:59:55 am »

"Oh, it was pretty neat. It talked to me without really talking - it communicated like an AI, kept referencing other things when it was communicating, like if it mentioned bodies it'd say 'see flesh, bone, reproduction', stuff like that. It wanted me to give connections to it, whatever those are. I gave two and I got some good stuff in return. Uh... yeah not really much beyond that. I also think I know how to do magic now - well not quite yet, but soon. Now then, if you'll excuse me, I need to go rob the majordomo."

Go climb back up the chain to get out of the well. Pay no mind to the dude and Mr. Erikson, they can resolve their own business.

Then go approach someone - a guard or something - and ask where I can find the majordomo. I have to clarify something with him.

Hm. Very intriguing information, and she would like it if you could elaborate a little more, but you do what you gotta do, magic people-eating man. She knows better than to interfere.

Good, you suppose as you walk over to the exit, only to find that some ungodly bastard appears to have lifted the chain you used to descend, putting something of a damper on your plans of escape. Mr. Erikson uses your moment of contemplation to utilize you as portable cover while he tries to sic you on his new glass-throwing friend. You give your interpretation of a fatherly look as you handily lift him up and put him back in plain sight to disabuse him of any such silly notions.

Huh. Is it just you, or did the shaft of moonlight coming down the well suddenly brighten about tenfold? The sky is looking awfully blue, too.

Right, time to burn the world. Aim at the 'outer earthworks' and show 'em some SUNlight.

The best part about the sun is that it illuminates as well as burns, making it perfect for the situation. As well as any situation, probably. Your stone appears to agree with this assessment.

SUN

[Word: 6]

You raise your arms to the sky and call the sun. Northward you face, and from the north it rises, the sky growing red, then bright blue as the day returns in the space of a minute, the sun streaking across the sky, flying low and hot. A dry, sweltering heat starts to build as it rises high and bright, banishing the clouds as they begin to turn to invisible steam again.

[Will of the New State: 4]

You look at the stoats down below, still keeping themselves moving and attempting to hide until you give them another opening. You see no real concentrations of them to blast, though there are quite a few of them having trouble finding good spots to hide from your false sun. There seems to be no organized protocol to deal with the sun rising in the night while they're being bombarded by death rays while all avenues of retreat have been set on fire, but they are dealing admirably well regardless.

Thomas sighed.  "Albany?  A city, of course  Capital of New York?  Of the United States of America?"  He sighed again, rubbing his eyes.  "I don't know.  I awoke being dragged about naked in a sack here in this area, with no idea how I got here.  All I want to do is get back to Albany so I can see just how badly I've missed my meeting with Mr. Munderly, who I am sure is very upset with me right now.  I'm just trying to get home, is all."

Expansion on a concept

None of this is ringing any bells, she's afraid, unless the geopolitics of the known world have drastically rearranged themselves in the past five years or so. They may have, of course. But it sounds like you expect anyone to know these things.

That taken with you suddenly waking up naked in a sack, well... she can't really think of any rational explanation. Might be just her coming down from a fit of inspired drunkenness, of course, and the slight headache she's got. She's heard of other naked people wandering around, though. Something weird is going on here, she says and scratches her head. Shouldn't be any way for strangers to get in, really... although maybe the minders did it? Tell one of the guard to bring a minder over here. Maybe one of them can explain. She's the bloody queen, it's her job to know about these things well in advance of them becoming actual problems, dammit!

You notice a conspicuously bright outline of a window behind the copious drapes of the queen's quarters. More special effects, no doubt.

"Please," I plead, trying to convince her. "This could be the difference between living another day or being brutally murdered by an army of stoats. It is a dark and disturbing place, but we have to be brave."

[Before the Great Unknown: 6]

She bites her lip, eyes wide with trepidation, breathing deeply to try and relax. She... she could go, yes. But there are still other matters, she looks at the panel. If she were to go with you, and something were to happen...

... could you do something for her first, she asks as she comes closer again, looking simultaneously hopeful and uncomfortable. She leans her head over your shoulder gently, turning to whisper in your ear. The master. He needs an apprentice. He depends on her. Now more than ever. A single questioning knock issues from the central panel. Claire's whispers take on a hint of urgency. If you could find another apprentice... it would go a long way to settle her mind and all of her matters.

She wants another apprentice to take her place, you ask, Claire urging you to keep your voice down. No, she replies. She needs another apprentice to go inside, beneath the panel. She did not. She could not. But it cannot be avoided, ultimately - it is essential for the final preparations. The master's life's work.

She withdraws a little, nodding her head as she looks in your eyes, seeking unspoken agreement.

"Hell if I know, girl. He's dead set trying to sell those shards of possibly blue bottle to me. Violently. I don't believe we have met. Leif Erikson is my name. Nice to meet. Any idea where I can find minders? Living ones, I mean, these three under my feet are already dead."

"Oh hey Daniels, fancy seeing you here. Have you eaten any more peole yet? You could try that one over there, I recommend him actually. Probably well seasoned."

Use Daniels as a shield and encourage him to eat the aggressive salesman. Failing that, dive behind the door. That should provide sufficient protection.

You are in luck! She happens to be the minder of Anglefork Castle at the moment. The mistress of the tower, that's her. Most senior and skilled minder in 50 miles, definitely.

The fact that she is clearly no more than twelve does not fill you with confidence, but you suppose this sort of thing is to be expected with sudden vacancies in top leadership positions. Anyway, you decide to take cover behind the inimitable Mr. Daniels to prevent yet more blood loss.

[Human Shielding: 2]

Mr. Daniels, however, chooses not to take such treatment and lifts you up by the scruff of your neck with a single hand, placing you some three feet away without displaying any signs of exertion. The look on his face is one of dwindling patience for your shit.

[Everything Must Go: 3 vs. 2]

You are about to say more, but another well-aimed shard of a possibly blue bottle catches you in the right lung, sliding in past the ribs and causing you considerable discomfort. Shadowbastard sure can pick his targets, you'll give him that.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 25, 2016, 07:25:12 am »

I nod. "Is there anyone you had in mind? Someone who would be interested, maybe?"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:12:18 am by penguinofhonor »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 25, 2016, 07:29:12 am »

"Hmm. On second thought, that intensifying light doesn't really seem all that healthy. Probably that one guy with the magic laser rock doing battle with the stoats or something, I'll wait down here until he's done. What did you want me to elaborate about?

Oh and bottle dude, quit throwing those bottle bits about, you're getting kinda close to me and I'm not adverse to testing out my strength on you."

Elaborate for minder girl about well experience. If crazy bottle dude keeps being annoying and throwing bottle bits everywhere, pick up Erikson and use him to block any incoming shots while I walk towards Bottle Guy in order to squish him into paste.
Sig! Onol

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 25, 2016, 07:57:33 am »

Awful lot of sun going to waste where the stoats ain't.

Let's narrow the SUNbeams.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 25, 2016, 08:07:55 am »

"Stop throwing stuff at me *wheeze* that's not how you do business! *more wheezing* You are giving all your goods away! *oh lord my lungs* Hey mighty minder, would you please make him stop? *sweet Freyja help me* Can't do business with you if he kills me."

Politely reject the position of being used as a human shield. I desperately need to find something protective.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 25, 2016, 08:22:54 am »

"Why'd you bring him down here anyway if he was doing this to you? You guys weren't down here when I first came down into the well."
Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 25, 2016, 08:29:40 am »

"He wanted rats."
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 161