Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249680 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Sun's Doom
« Reply #525 on: February 02, 2016, 07:15:04 am »

Restore rocks sentience later. Right now get on and fly away from this damn place.

And hell, maybe being waterlogged will help with the whole 'forest on fire' thing.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 02, 2016, 09:03:51 am »

"Right, so, no one knows where I can find the fire marshall?  Or any of his representatives?  What do you folks do when there's a fire, maybe?  They'd know.  Also, where are the parents of these kids?"

Look for the fire department, at least.  And maybe some parents.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 02, 2016, 11:07:47 am »

"Well, you are right. That I tried to do. I'm not really good with this conviencing others thing. Oh, and that thing behind the door? It eats relationships. Like this."

Let's try my own variation of that trick. Compose a memory payload about my entire experience within the well, sectioned nicely as to not overwhelm by accident. Send it to the girl.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 03, 2016, 11:59:21 am »

Lay back. Chillax. Contemplate life and my situation. What do I really want to do, since I'm evidently some sort of demonic abomination thing in the guise of a human, if all the things those various people and extradimensional entities have said are true?

If knowing what you really wanted was a simple question, you bet a lot of people would have a much easier time making decisions. Though if worst comes to worst, you can at least default to being an RPG protagonist unlike most people from your place of origin. Certainly seems like that's what these people in rather obvious peril want you to do.

On the other hand, you guess you could just ask the well. You wonder if it would tell you. And whether you'd like the answer if it did.

Well... this wasn't a great decision. I try to swing myself towards the wall as I drop off.

[Parkour in the Dark: 5]

You decide to risk it and swing inward from the edge, letting go at the midpoint. There is a moment of doubt as your four limbs brush against the wall all at once, trying to find purchase. Scrambling desperately as you begin to pick up downward velocity you manage to grab onto a convenient hole with one hand, arresting your fall, then grab at the same spot with the other one.

Okay. This was a terrible idea, but it seems to have worked. You search around for a foothold with your dangling legs, and it takes uncomfortable long before you find one, and it is a bit too far to the right for your liking. Fortunately, you do find another handhold to balance this out, and begin to descend more carefully. The first bit is the most difficult one, since down below the holes grow increasingly numerous (due to relative simplicity of their thievery, no doubt). As you get into the swing of things, you manage to monkey your way down to the ground. It is a terribly relieving sensation, having solid ground to stand on. One never appreciates it until it is lost.

Restore rocks sentience later. Right now get on and fly away from this damn place.

And hell, maybe being waterlogged will help with the whole 'forest on fire' thing.

You try and call the rock to you, and it still does not respond, continuing in an unseen orbit at a considerable distance from you, seemingly picking up speed. You try to walk around to try and find its trajectory, but it appears to change it depending on your movement, keeping itself in an ever-quickening orbit. You step in one particular direction and are greeted by a surprised shriek cut incredibly short as you are bathed in errant droplets of completely ruined stoatman.

Well, you guess your moonstone still does one thing, sort of.

"Right, so, no one knows where I can find the fire marshall?  Or any of his representatives?  What do you folks do when there's a fire, maybe?  They'd know.  Also, where are the parents of these kids?"

Look for the fire department, at least.  And maybe some parents.

[Safety Third, Safety Always: 6]

Well, the guard begins, usually the people around here spot the fire in progress. Maybe hear someone screaming that there's a fire. And then it's a scramble to put it out before it engulfs their homes too. It's worked in his experience, though they haven't had any really big fires or anything like that. The capital used to have a fire crew, he recalls. Several, in fact, each shadier than the last. He, er, guesses the captain of the royal guard's the closest to a fire marshal they have here in that case? Might want to find her.

As for parents, well! That's a bit of an interesting question. These kids are separated from their parents at an early age to be trained in minding, he explains. Secretive, magical training. Gives them powers beyond mortal ken or something of that nature. Most of them are probably not from the castle at all, or even the town. The country folk understandably tend to have more weird in the blood if you catch his meaning. Heck, some of them might be clanfolk progeny. Worm Clan's certainly friendly enough to the minders, and he's heard rumor that Stork acolytes tend to deal with them as well.

You're not sure what that means, so you ask if they've got any legal guardians instead. Oh, he says. Those'd be the minders. He assumes. He's not sure that what they do is strictly codified into any legal document. But no king's ever decried the practice, so he assumes it's probably all fine and good.

"Well, you are right. That I tried to do. I'm not really good with this conviencing others thing. Oh, and that thing behind the door? It eats relationships. Like this."

Let's try my own variation of that trick. Compose a memory payload about my entire experience within the well, sectioned nicely as to not overwhelm by accident. Send it to the girl.

[Minding On The Fly: 2]

You quickly bang together a little package of impressions from your time with the well, using the freshest, most vivid impressions and packing them up into a handy sequence of informative units. That done, you waste no time in beaming the result to the girl. She recoils a little as it hits, looking up at you as she goes through a range of displeased expressions. She takes a deep breath as it washes over her and subsides over the next ten seconds.

Ugh, she says as it fully clears. What was that? Seemed like white noise. Made her eardrums itch and set her teeth on edge, it did. Was that supposed to be a demonstration or an explanation, she asks. Although, you know, never mind. Don't try it again. At least not on her. In fact, just piss off already and find someone else to bother. She's already humored you for long enough, truth be told.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:02:44 pm by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 03, 2016, 12:01:54 pm »

Jack yawns.

"Hey, can either of you two see what's happened up above? Not sure if we just sat through the apocalypse or not."
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 03, 2016, 12:56:40 pm »

"The Captain?  I believe I met her... I get the feeling she would simply rather not talk to her.  As such, as you are her duly appointed representative, I will file with you!  That tower clearly does not conform to any reasonable fire safety standards, with its lack of railings, lack of fire escapes, I didn't see any extinguishers, nor any exit signage... really, it's horrible from top to bottom.  And I didn't even see the top!  Completely uninsurable as is.

But, oh yes, the children.  Where are these adult minders, then?  The first I spoke with in the tower said one was returning.  Is that fellow around?"

Complain of lack of fire safety.  Another round of minder-hunt.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 03, 2016, 12:59:41 pm »

"Sorry, sorry, it was supposed to be a memory of what happened in there." Leif says pointing the door behind him. "Guess I still need more practice..."

Apologise. Sit by the wall to rest my body while analyzing what went wrong with that data package. I need to get better on this minding stuff.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 03, 2016, 02:07:25 pm »

Woo! I fully expected to hurt myself doing that. Now I duck into the chapel and try to find somewhere to rest.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 03, 2016, 03:56:46 pm »

Well it will have to do. Use the moon rock as a sort of advance path clearer and go at a steady pace straight through the forest. Again, wrap wet piece of cloth around head/mouth to avoid ash and shit.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 04, 2016, 04:15:44 pm »

Jack yawns.

"Hey, can either of you two see what's happened up above? Not sure if we just sat through the apocalypse or not."

The minder girl looks up at the darkness. She can't see a thing. And she's not about to fly out of shelter to check. If she had to guess, though, nothing seems to have exploded except maybe some weird sky business she can't really understand.

Mr. Erikson, on the other hand, does not deign to even reply, being absorbed in his own business far too much to devote any of his precious attention to the likes of you.

Actually, the minder girl interrupts your examination of him, you're probably the best equipped to find out if it's safe up there. After all, you do seem to have a pretty high tolerance for physical punishment if those burns you seem to be untroubled by are any indication. So maybe it's in the asking that you made your first mistake?

"The Captain?  I believe I met her... I get the feeling she would simply rather not talk to her.  As such, as you are her duly appointed representative, I will file with you!  That tower clearly does not conform to any reasonable fire safety standards, with its lack of railings, lack of fire escapes, I didn't see any extinguishers, nor any exit signage... really, it's horrible from top to bottom.  And I didn't even see the top!  Completely uninsurable as is.

But, oh yes, the children.  Where are these adult minders, then?  The first I spoke with in the tower said one was returning.  Is that fellow around?"

Complain of lack of fire safety.  Another round of minder-hunt.

You walk about the courtyard, trying to stay away from anything falling or dangerous as you continue to speak with the guard. He agrees with your idea that the minder tower is not, in fact, compliant with any sort of fire safety standard. But then he was under the impression that minders don't tend to worry about fires much. He always assumed they could put them out with their mind or some such. Come to think of it, he's pretty sure everyone's always assumed that. Even the minders themselves. He's certainly never seen a minder put out a fire with their mind in person. So you've definitely got a case in the actuarial sense, he thinks.

What's also a good question is where the actual minders are. These kids, the guard is fairly sure, are mere students. They can't even fly. What kind of minder is it that can't fly? Or glide, at least. That's kind of the whole point of the second floor being only reachable by flight. All in all, very good points you're raising, but he-

Wait! You notice the boy you spoke to tugging at your arm, blood still streaming from his nose. One of the children following you stops, and you see her start to break down crying. The boy, though, calls your attention intently. The head girl. She... went somewhere. To look at secrets. Yes. The secrets of the well. He thinks that was it, he nods with eyes glazing over. Another child starts to look very frightened and confused, and one more crouches down, casting a suspicious eye about. And then another seems just about ready to bolt in a random direction all of a sudden. The boy speaking to you begins to increasingly shiver. He's... not looking so good, truth be told. The shapes of the children, the guard following you and the occasional worried wandering peasant darken noticeably, becoming less discernible as the seconds go by.

"Sorry, sorry, it was supposed to be a memory of what happened in there." Leif says pointing the door behind him. "Guess I still need more practice..."

Apologise. Sit by the wall to rest my body while analyzing what went wrong with that data package. I need to get better on this minding stuff.

[Considerations of Minding: 2]

Bugger if you know what happened there. It seemed all right. Form up some thoughts, organize them into a string, send them to the girl. It's nothing complicated at all. Maybe she's just being unnecessarily disagreeable. After all, you don't know that she didn't see everything you wanted her to. Maybe she's trying to swindle you so she doesn't have to help you. Walk away with the information and without any strings attached. That'd be mighty cheeky of her, you would think.

Woo! I fully expected to hurt myself doing that. Now I duck into the chapel and try to find somewhere to rest.

Rather than waste any time trying to find the door you just climb in through one of the many holes, finding yourself in an only slightly less draftier excuse for shelter.

[Places of Rest: 2]

You can't say you like the feel of this place overall, though. As mentioned, the draftiness is nigh-unbearable. The floor is uncomfortable to sleep on. There may be small fragments of glass around closer to the center of the room. And there's this guy who just won't stop moaning. And also praying in moments of increased coherency. You politely ask him to stop, but you think he's only half-conscious at this point. He sounds kind of familiar, but you're having a little trouble placing the voice. Have you met, you ask. He chants a verse from some holy book or another.

[Clues for the Sightless: 4]

Wait. Did he mention the sun? And the moon? Isn't that the guy who was following Mr. Codeburn around? He seems to be doing a bit poorly for someone who seems to have been right on the money with this paranormal business.

Well it will have to do. Use the moon rock as a sort of advance path clearer and go at a steady pace straight through the forest. Again, wrap wet piece of cloth around head/mouth to avoid ash and shit.

Unfortunately you seem to be on the wrong side of the river to just get right to the forest. But you're wasting good firelight just standing here moping about it, so into the river you must dive. Time to make a wild swim for it! A damn sight better than having to fight 400 stoats by hand.

[Unleash the Dolphin: 2]

You check the river with your foot again. You know, just so you're not surprised. It is still really cold, and running very rapidly. And, as your bruised kidneys can attest to, very much full of nasty rocks of varying size and sharpness. Diving into it, now that you think about it, does strike you as a very good way to get killed horribly. Heck, trying to navigate it with a boat in this darkness would probably be a good way to get killed horribly. And the other side looks like it's really far away.

In short, you have your reservations about this plan. Though admittedly if you did hazard it and missed your exit on the other side, you'd presumably wash up in Anglefork town if you didn't drown first. That may be slightly iffier an if than you're willing to freely hazard, however.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 04, 2016, 04:21:27 pm »

Huh.  Guess this heightened sense thing doesn't last.  Or maybe it comes and goes, staying more the more you're without the sense.

"Now we're getting somewhere.  Which way is this well?"

Seek the well.  Call into the well looking for head minder girl, and answers of where we are and how to get to Albany.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 04, 2016, 04:34:13 pm »

"Don't be trying to exploit me or I'll crush your skull. Not that I'm trying to be antagonistic, it's just really easy to make threats when you can do things like that. It's an empowering feeling.

That said, I'm getting a wee bit bored here and I need to see if that blacksmith's still alive. One second."

Go climb up the chain and observe what kind of apocalyptic scenario the sun guy inflicted upon us.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 04, 2016, 04:34:47 pm »

"Moon rock, could really use your help about now...?"

if that doesn't work, head upstream. Maybe there's a bridge?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 04, 2016, 04:46:36 pm »

Oh wow, I thought this guy was dead. I'm not sure if I can help him, though. I walk up to him and try to examine him as well as I can.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 05, 2016, 03:16:47 am »

Fall over and rest. This arterial bleeding is bothering me.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 161