Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249655 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Sun's Doom
« Reply #570 on: February 09, 2016, 04:25:15 pm »

"To be fair, I do believe this whole area has a bit of a rat problem.  The gentleman whose sack I was in was convinced I was a lot of rats.  Very odd.  Oh well; I don't suppose there's an exterminator here?"

Help settle in, I guess.  Look for exterminator.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 09, 2016, 04:26:58 pm »

Well now. Is she more drunk? I step directly in front of the queen. "Are you okay?"

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 10, 2016, 01:23:53 am »

"And exactly how I'm incorrect? The word did absolutely nothing!"
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 10, 2016, 08:12:55 am »

Fuck it, "SUN, Where the hell am I!?" Once more, find dry land.

Maybe this will shed some light on the issue.

SUN

[Word: 6]

In the far distance the sun rises over the dark waters, and you see both sides of the river, strangely equidistant from your position. There is the forest on your left, still burning in places. There's Anglefork further away, burning partly. There's the castle island on the right - you're not yet at the fork, it seems. And then there's the water. It's getting warmer. Considerably warmer. You get the feeling your proxy sun is a bit closer than experience with the actual sun would indicate.

[Unleash the Dolphin: 6]
[The Two Sides: 6]

As the water becomes unseasonably hot your keen survival instincts kick in and you start to swim for your life to the side - now that you see where you're going, navigating the river does become markedly easier, especially since you can dodge the sharper rocks on the shore as well. You are out of breath as you swim all the way to the left on instinct and dive out to the soft earth. You have the distinct urge to lie there for a moment. The sun is warm, your knees feel a bit too weak to support much in the way of walking, your arms sting and are a little difficult to lift, and you feel a lot like a wad of freshly boiled spaghetti on a kitchen floor, laying limp and wet in an environment you were never meant for.

On the other side of the river you see a few stoatmen firing bolts at the mini-sun in a rather dismal failure at pattern recognition. The sun appears unimpressed, but does appear to be amply distracting them from making any moves on your comparatively discreet form.

Maybe some rest is in order. This sun you put up seems a bit less clingy than that one you summoned before, if no less passively dangerous if that section of river that appears to be boiling is any indication. Also, your orbiting stone appears to have gone off someplace. You're not sure where, really. Mysterious as the moon itself, that thing.

"Hmm. I'm not really sure if this is your house, blacksmith. Would help if I could see anything. Wanna tell me if you're here or not?"

Go blunder about the house for a bit looking for blacksmithy.

[The Quest Continues: 3]

You feel around the house as you check for the presence of your blackmith friend. There's a table you run into. A pot you topple over. A desk covered in knives that you manage to cut your finger on - the desk, mind you, not the knives. A pile of small, angular objects you can't quite identify. A surprisingly well-kept bedroll. Doesn't even smell or anything. Three changes of leather trousers, one of them partially eaten, and a set of nice boots. Also a cage with a live rat in it that you happen to discover by plowing straight into it and causing it to fall to the ground. The rat escapes if you're not misjudging the triumphant nature of the resultant squeak.

No sign of any pubescent blacksmiths, though. You're beginning to suspect this isn't the right place despite being exactly where you remember it to be. Maybe sorcery is at work here, you're not sure.

"To be fair, I do believe this whole area has a bit of a rat problem.  The gentleman whose sack I was in was convinced I was a lot of rats.  Very odd.  Oh well; I don't suppose there's an exterminator here?"

Help settle in, I guess.  Look for exterminator.

[Clearing A Space: 1]

It's a bit cramped in here - place is lousy with cages, rats and rotting supplies, and it's all honestly a bit unhygienic, everything having at least a thin coating of unidentified sludge. Maybe settling in here isn't that much of a great idea. One of the children trips over a rat cage, another gets a handful of splinters. A feeling of dissatisfaction arises from them which the girl feels no real need to actively quash, seemingly having similar thoughts herself.

Rats are valuable, she says. Maybe not that valuable, though. Perhaps a place in the keep would be better, lack of fire exits notwithstanding. She's kind of always wanted to live in a proper keep, she relates. And there's guards there too. She looks to you for an informed opinion on the general safety of large stone constructions when compared to small wooden ones - you did not seem to particularly like the tower, although admittedly there were other problems at work there.

Well now. Is she more drunk? I step directly in front of the queen. "Are you okay?"

She examines you doubtfully for a moment, seemingly having trouble deciphering what you're supposed to be, though her gaze seems unusually clear as well. You ask her if she's all right, and she wraps herself up a little tighter in her bedsheets, then looks around again before calling for a guard. One walks in after a moment. The queen looks at you for a second, then at the guard. The guard examines you skeptically.

There's someone in here, she says. The guard seems to agree, and the queen admits to finding this very odd. The guard looks at you confusedly, and the queen looks where he's looking. He sees it too, doesn't he? The guard says, well, he's pretty sure you're a her, although the burns do make it a little difficult to, er, precisely identify, but...

The queen looks in your direction again, completely mystified from the looks of it. The guard looks at you, his face a slightly different shade of utter puzzlement. It doesn't seem hostile, the queen asks with concern, and the guard says apparently not. You, er, he means, it appeared to have a request for her of some nature. The queen suspiciously looks in your direction again. This sounds a bit sinister, she says, and the guard, keeping his eyes locked on you and his hand on his sword, is compelled to agree by authority if nothing else.

"And exactly how I'm incorrect? The word did absolutely nothing!"

Is that your question? Fulfillment of a desire is also possible. The desire may also be another question.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:41:11 am by Harry Baldman »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Freedom's Call
« Reply #574 on: February 10, 2016, 08:17:55 am »

Okay so. That worked. Thank's Sun. Let's just. find an out of the way place out of sight and. lay down for a bit.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 10, 2016, 08:49:31 am »

Thomas shrugged.  Well, it wasn't really up to him; he was just advice.  "Well, you don't have to settle for the first place you find, certainly.  The keep does have its merits; a sturdy foundation I am sure that will be proof against earthquakes and windstorms.  Fire exits are a thing that can be remedied later.  Perhaps we should visit the keep?"

Perhaps we should visit the keep?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 10, 2016, 11:37:23 am »

"What? Yes, that's a question, but no, I'm not giving any connections for it, if that's what you are asking for. The word did no reality altering of any kind unlike you promised, meaning you failed to provide fullfilment, yet you claim I'm incorrect and do not explain why this the case! Keep your promises, damn it, switch the word for another that actually fullfills my desire unlike INEVITABLE, or give the damn connection back!"
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 10, 2016, 11:53:53 am »

The queen looks in your direction again, completely mystified from the looks of it. The guard looks at you, his face a slightly different shade of utter puzzlement. It doesn't seem hostile, the queen asks with concern, and the guard says apparently not. You, er, he means, it appeared to have a request for her of some nature. The queen suspiciously looks in your direction again. This sounds a bit sinister, she says, and the guard, keeping his eyes locked on you and his hand on his sword, is compelled to agree by authority if nothing else.
((Ahahahahahahahahhhha. If you figure it out IC try writing her a note.))

"No, I'm certain this is the house. I know everything's completely different, but it's exactly where it was. Exactly, I say!"

Continue to search. Potentially disbelieve the truth so hard it becomes false.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 10, 2016, 09:56:22 pm »

Gah. There's magic involved here. As usual.

I turn to the guard. "Tell the queen to go to the courtyard if she wants this darkness to go away. If she doesn't believe me, I'll try to send someone more charismatic."

Then I leave in search of either a mason or one of my minder-summoned friends.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 10, 2016, 09:59:35 pm »

Did I get rid of the darkness everywhere?
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 11, 2016, 06:23:00 am »

Okay so. That worked. Thank's Sun. Let's just. find an out of the way place out of sight and. lay down for a bit.

[A Place of Rest: 3]

You roll uphill lazily, your body mostly incapable of exerting more effort than that, and come to rest under a nearby scorched tree. Crawling a little further, you think you're mostly shielded from prying eyes as long as people don't question a pair of feet poking out from behind the trees.

Fortunately, while your miniature sun does improve visibility, it's not quite bright enough to provide more than low moonlight at this distance, so you don't foresee yourself being easy to find. You let out a massive sigh and try to relax. Feels good to not have to move for a while, you admit.

[Lounger's Fortune: 6]

A rather large crow lands on your stomach, picking at the bits of your much-abused nightgown that still have traces of fresh-killed stoat on them. Its pecks bother you slightly, but not quite enough to get up just yet.

Thomas shrugged.  Well, it wasn't really up to him; he was just advice.  "Well, you don't have to settle for the first place you find, certainly.  The keep does have its merits; a sturdy foundation I am sure that will be proof against earthquakes and windstorms.  Fire exits are a thing that can be remedied later.  Perhaps we should visit the keep?"

Perhaps we should visit the keep?

The girl agrees quite heartily - this place sucks, better get a place in the keep instead. A quick nip through the courtyard takes you there, and you find that it is no less dark within for the most part than it is outside. Perhaps darker, actually. You're not sure how that's possible.

Not that this is a terrible inconvenience, since most of the important parts (with the notable exception of the steps on the staircase) are quite visible to your deprivation-enhanced senses.

[A Good Place To Set Up: 5]

The guard chips in again with some useful advice - the lord's quarters ought to be free, he thinks, since the lady of the castle has... different arrangements. And also some other rooms, he supposes, since a number of the more fragile castle staff have undergone tragic expiration. The lord's quarters ought to be the largest accommodations available, however. You suppose this to be reasonable, and head up the stairs and to the right, where you eventually find a rather large bedroom that seems to have been entirely deserted for a very long time. It's certainly much less cluttered than that storage area, if a bit bare - most of the furniture seems to have gone missing, although a respectable fireplace still stands on one side of the large room.

The girl likes the look of these accommodations overall. Perhaps a little furnishing might be in order. The guard is pleased to hear this - living on the keep's second floor also means that she's practically a neighbor of the queen, which is about as convenient for practical purposes as he can possibly imagine. You suppose it is a tad unproductive to have overly long commutes, isn't it?

"What? Yes, that's a question, but no, I'm not giving any connections for it, if that's what you are asking for. The word did no reality altering of any kind unlike you promised, meaning you failed to provide fullfilment, yet you claim I'm incorrect and do not explain why this the case! Keep your promises, damn it, switch the word for another that actually fullfills my desire unlike INEVITABLE, or give the damn connection back!"

INEVITABLE

[Word: 3]

Not the right word to describe this situation. Close, but not quite. The word can only barely be heard over the overpowering, hungering silence, and you feel it draw closer for a moment, reaching out as if to touch you...

... not yet, however. Not a productive choice. Neither are your complaints. One cannot return something that was eaten, to use familiar terms. Not as what it used to be, at least. And neither can your choice be rescinded. Only further expenditure may amend your perceived flaws, whether through explanations or more direct methods. Alternatively, you could try and figure it out yourself.

"No, I'm certain this is the house. I know everything's completely different, but it's exactly where it was. Exactly, I say!"

Continue to search. Potentially disbelieve the truth so hard it becomes false.

Blacksmith? Blacksmith! He's in here somewhere! Blacksmith!

Blacksmith!

[Willful Ignorance: 3]

... yeah, this isn't working. And it's almost definitely not the right house. There is room for doubt, granted. It's just decreased to microscopically small rather than merely uncomfortably tight.

Gah. There's magic involved here. As usual.

I turn to the guard. "Tell the queen to go to the courtyard if she wants this darkness to go away. If she doesn't believe me, I'll try to send someone more charismatic."

Then I leave in search of either a mason or one of my minder-summoned friends.

[Negotiation by Proxy: 6]

Darkness? Yes, you say. World-ending, all consuming darkness, that's about the gist of it. Oh dear. The guard seems quite distressed. It's saying that the world is ending, he tells the queen. Oh dear, she echoes. It's some sort of apocalyptic wraith, then? It would appear so, he says.

The queen looks at the window. Doesn't sound like the world is ending. Maybe that's the way it is, the guard somberly relates. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. The queen nods sagely. You remind the guard that the queen's supposed to go to the courtyard now. He asks what for, and you tell it's to make the darkness go away.

Well, he says, isn't the world ending? No, you say, the darkness is potentially world-ending. It's not really the apocalypse. Well, he reiterates, it's awfully dishonest of you to scare the queen by maintaining otherwise. Besides, isn't it supposed to be dark out anyway? It is the nighttime.

No, no, this is magical darkness, you explain. Deeper. More horrible somehow. There's no moon or stars, for one. Oh, he says. Sounds terrible. Is there anything that can be done about that, you think? Yes, you say with exasperation! Go outside with the queen and speak with the priest. He'll know what to do.

The priest, he says incredulously. What's the priest going to do? Sing the dark away? The queen, quite curious as to what this conversation the guard is having is, asks him what you're saying. He says it's some nonsense about singing at the dark along with that gobshite priest, if the queen will pardon the honest truth. Mystical mumbo-jumbo. Nothing unexpected from a doomwraith, in any case. The queen furrows her brow and tries for a moment to make you out where she suspects you might be standing. She looks a tad disappointed when this produces no results.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Clarification (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:27:04 am by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 11, 2016, 06:31:42 am »

"Well then. Perhaps I am wrong. A shock. Ah well, another location it is then."

Locate the nearest wall and create an opening in it that I can get through. Then go continue looking for the blacksmith.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 11, 2016, 08:00:37 am »

Wipe all the gore off me into a neat little pile. Crows are smart man, do crow buddy a solid.
Then rest some more cause I'm not heading out when I'm still 2 hits from dead.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 11, 2016, 08:17:46 am »

Well if that's the way this is going to go, I might as well try to make it a convincing apocalypse.

I remember a noise, the tumultuous sounds of chaos, and mentally amplify them into a disorienting roar. I then shout at the guard, "It is the only way! If the queen does not pray with her people, all will be consumed by CHAOS." I beckon to the roar to fill the air.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 11, 2016, 08:24:05 am »

I'm honestly tempted to go back to the town for the sole purpose of killing Toaster.

((He's marvellous, isn't he))
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 161