Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249678 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Returning Dark
« Reply #720 on: March 03, 2016, 01:49:05 pm »

"This is vexing, priesty, let me tell you. I need this window yet it's fixed in place.
Hmm. Though perhaps this would work; technically a broken window is priceless because it isn't worth anything. If I deliver some fancy enough shards from both windows that should fulfil the condition.

Unless you know of anything else that's priceless around these parts?"

Does Priesty know of any priceless things that aren't the window? If not, contemplate the best way to shatter it so that I get some cool-looking pieces.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 03, 2016, 02:46:24 pm »

Spit down and listen. Calculate length of the drop based on sound and whether it solid or liquid on bottom. If solid and not too far, then drop down landing on my feet like a cat. Otherwise back up all the way and try southern crawlspace.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 03, 2016, 04:50:47 pm »

It worked? It worked! But does it work, I wonder?
Empty out another sack and test out the new shiv by cutting arm- and neck- holes. Then cut some more strips from the first sack to use as bandages.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 04, 2016, 04:32:15 pm »

"Well, I've heard a great many stories today.  I suppose I could hear one more.  Show me the way, perhaps?"

Find her.  Listen to story politely.

Oh, certainly - she's right down the hall over there. Yes, right there in that closet-looking place. She ought to be inside, the majordomo says, and as you open the door you find that he seems to have been entirely correct - the closet seems to be inhabited by a young black-haired woman (not much of a resemblance to the majordomo, which bodes surprisingly well for her overall looks) who seems to have completely ruined the body of a large rat, each little bit of it cut off into the closest thing resembling a discrete piece and all the similar-looking pieces laid down in small orderly piles on the stool serving as her preferred surgery location. She seems to be in the middle of reassembling it in a manner similar to a jigsaw puzzle, an endeavor you begin to have serious doubts about within seconds of figuring out what the hell she's even doing. Heavens, she even seems to have sliced up the skeleton into shards with that wicked-looking knife of hers. You're not even sure how she's been doing all this, considering that most of the light in here seems to have come from you opening the door.

[The Good Doctor: 6]

You clear your throat and the doctor looks up immediately with a genial look on her face. You seem profoundly disturbed in some non-obvious way, she says. Would you care for a comprehensive medical examination so that she may better analyze your ailments? She is sure she can help.

Actually, you attempt to deflect the question, you're here for a story. Nonsense, she replies. That right there, she points her knife vaguely in the direction of your neck, that right there is discoloration of the jugular. It could be very serious, don't you know. And that looks like a small bump under your eyelid. She'll need to look at that too. Take a seat, she points at the stool and- oh wait, she says, brushing the bits of rat off the stool and to the floor, a tiny smear persisting on the surface. Yeah, take a seat on the stool and she'll take a more in-depth look. Can't have the violently ill wandering about, now can you?

Gah. Okay, I should probably rest, but this thing might be the reason I came down here... I try to carefully remove the sword from the trap.

[Classical Mechanics: 1]

You have two options that you can see - removing the blade from the trap and removing the blade from yourself. You attempt to do the former, but the somewhat awkward way it's lodged in your torso makes this difficult. You kind of rub against it and the inadvertent sawing motion sets your ribs on edge and sends a shooting pain through your abdomen that makes you wonder if trying to remove the sword without any form of tools on hand is a good idea.

... giving it some thought, you suppose probably not - it's not even a whole sword, just a blade attached to an unfolding metal arm that runs from a currently open ceiling panel, held together admirably well by expertly crafted parts. A little creaky, perhaps, but that's to be expected with traps of this age.

"This is vexing, priesty, let me tell you. I need this window yet it's fixed in place.
Hmm. Though perhaps this would work; technically a broken window is priceless because it isn't worth anything. If I deliver some fancy enough shards from both windows that should fulfil the condition.

Unless you know of anything else that's priceless around these parts?"

Does Priesty know of any priceless things that aren't the window? If not, contemplate the best way to shatter it so that I get some cool-looking pieces.

[Ruminations On Theft: 2]

Well the priest is of absolutely no help. He just stares at the broken window, wondering in his heart of hearts why somebody would perform such a horrible, pointless act of destruction. Doesn't even seem to notice your question, the self-absorbed tit. Anyway, you consider how best to break the other window. But with style, you know?

[Ruminations On Vandalism: 4]

What makes a thing priceless, truly? Quality? Permanence? Rarity? Probably not - these make things valuable. What defines something priceless, though... why, irreproducibility, wouldn't you say? A priceless thing is something you cannot create or recreate. Once a priceless thing is gone, it can never return. This is its appeal - exclusivity, no?

Spit down and listen. Calculate length of the drop based on sound and whether it solid or liquid on bottom. If solid and not too far, then drop down landing on my feet like a cat. Otherwise back up all the way and try southern crawlspace.

[Phlegmolocation: 6]

You send out a thick probe of all the mucus you can muster into the dark, assuming that if you do hit something, it's pretty likely you'll hear it. It impacts the floor with an almost meaty splash, letting you know very clearly that the floor isn't really that far off - the floor is wooden and probably no more than five meters down.

Assuming your estimate to be perfectly accurate, you forge ahead and fall out of the hole with all the grace you'd expect from a shitfaced neo-viking, executing a perfect five point landing with all four limbs and your face. Absolutely nothing important is hurt as a result.

You get up after some effort. A lot roomier down here. Your thoughts are echoing slightly. Pitch-black fields of jack shit stretch as far as the eye can see.

It worked? It worked! But does it work, I wonder?
Empty out another sack and test out the new shiv by cutting arm- and neck- holes. Then cut some more strips from the first sack to use as bandages.

[Papa's Got A Brand New Shiv: 6]

It cuts! It cuts and it cuts, and it cuts until you can cut no more. The good news, you find, are that you have plenty of grubby, non-sterile burlap ribbons that ought to serve as perfectly good bandages according to your best wishful guess on how medicine works. The even better news are that you could probably pretend to be a mummy if you got all your ribbons together and tied them on nicely. You got one really long one from one particular sack that you just did up in one ribbon. Very handy work there.

Your ambitions of a burlap minidress, however, are not to be, as you run out of material before your better judgment kicks into gear. You observe the ridiculous amounts of dusty lucre now littering the floor with mild, largely unrelated disappointment.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 04, 2016, 04:53:21 pm »

((Why, dice? I can only take so much.))

Okay, whatever. I can deal with this in a minute. I try to safely remove myself from the contraption and back away to an untrapped spot of ground. I also listen to try and discern whether the trap retracts into the ceiling. It seems like it shouldn't, but you never know.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 12:07:34 pm by penguinofhonor »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 04, 2016, 07:20:24 pm »

"See now, there's many ways you can go about this. I could break it like before, but that's probably not what I'm looking for. And judging by how I got hurt by that falling glass, I'm not invulnerable, so punching through stone probably isn't the best of ideas.
Maybe I should fix that. I'll see you in a few minutes, priesty."

Head back down into the well. Y'know, the extradimensional contract well.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:15:01 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 04, 2016, 08:58:04 pm »

Thomas's hand went defensively neckward.  "No, no, I assure you I am well.  Your father told me you were an expert of the history of this area!  Perhaps you could educate me?  Tell me of its past?"

He opted not to sit.

Try to get a story instead of surgery.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 05, 2016, 03:54:52 am »

Following in footsteps of my forefather who bears the same name, discover new places! New greener lands to inhabit would be nice, but probably too much to ask right now. I'm satisfied with discovering shape and content of this quiet place.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 05, 2016, 02:42:36 pm »

Yup, it works. Just hope I'll never have to actually fight with it.
Wrap up feet in the cloth strips. Probably best not to go around barefoot with all this glass about. Also wrap ribbons around injuries if they still seem to be bleeding. I've just been crawling through a sludge chute, a little extra dirt can't hurt...
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 05, 2016, 07:01:48 pm »

((Why, dice? I can only take so much.))

Okay, whatever. I can deal with this in a minute. I try to safely remove myself from the contraption and back away to an untrapped spot of ground. I also listen to try and discern whether the trap retracts into the ceiling. It seems like it shouldn't, but you never know.

[Life In These Old Gears: 3]

Well, 'safely' is perhaps a lofty ambition. You'll have a massive gash in your torso regardless of how you remove yourself. But you do manage to remove yourself without a noticeable worsening of your physical condition, and while the trap definitely tries to retract at that point, it seems to be just about out of whatever mechanical juice powered it, and thus only twitches vaguely before going still.

In any case, you assume what you believe to be a safer position a couple of steps back toward the sarcophagus you came from.

"See now, there's many ways you can go about this. I could break it like before, but that's probably not what I'm looking for. And judging by how I got hurt by that falling glass, I'm not invulnerable, so punching through stone probably isn't the best of ideas.
Maybe I should fix that. I'll see you in a few minutes, priesty."

Head back down into the well.

You clamber down into the well and find it unexpectedly full of gold, all glittering in the fading light of this latest sunset.

You also find Mr. Wilde. His mostly naked state and stark confusion seem oddly familiar.

Thomas's hand went defensively neckward.  "No, no, I assure you I am well.  Your father told me you were an expert of the history of this area!  Perhaps you could educate me?  Tell me of its past?"

He opted not to sit.

Try to get a story instead of surgery.

[For Old Times' Sake: 5]

She pauses. Not of this area, strictly speaking. More of the kingdom as a whole. Though the northern parts are admittedly somewhat disproportionately relevant to the geopolitics, especially as of late, and... well, frankly there is quite a lot of history. You can't hope for her to relate all of it on the spot. At least not with any thoroughness - oh, she could tell you of a great many interpretations of the near-mythical reign of the King In Green, or the first chronicles dating back to the time of the unification, or the minder lords of the great interregnum and the splintering of the blood... why, literally thousands of years of history here, she says with a nostalgic look, recalling what seems like a very long and comprehensive education. Almost all of it somehow relevant to today's dire situation. Everything connects, she says with a gleam in her eye - that's the beautiful thing about both history and flesh.

Hm. Are you sure you don't want surgery instead? It would certainly take far less time than it would to give you a reasonable education on the once-great kingdom of Benzerwald.

Following in footsteps of my forefather who bears the same name, discover new places! New greener lands to inhabit would be nice, but probably too much to ask right now. I'm satisfied with discovering shape and content of this quiet place.

[Fumbling Bravely In The Dark: 5]

It is a big room! Some sixty feet to a side, and definitely possessing something of a cubic shape. Now rather familiar with the general principle of this place, you have a reasonably simple time finding more panels presumably leading to other crawlspaces - quite a lot of them, actually, presumably more than a dozen. And that's just the ones you can easily reach from ground level.

Speaking of, you also accidentally manage to activate what seems to have been a mechanism for a ladder, a casual brush over an otherwise imperceptible button causing the unfolding of wall-mounted rungs you could definitely safely climb on. These appear to lead to more panels, but located higher along the wall. Another ladder even leads back to the hole you came in through.

Finally you also get an inkling of the center of the room - there is a circular raised platform in the middle, seemingly organized into concentric rings. What function these may serve you don't have any clue, although the rings do seem to have a great number of embossed symbols on them.

Yup, it works. Just hope I'll never have to actually fight with it.
Wrap up feet in the cloth strips. Probably best not to go around barefoot with all this glass about. Also wrap ribbons around injuries if they still seem to be bleeding. I've just been crawling through a sludge chute, a little extra dirt can't hurt...

[That's A Wrap: 1]

Wrapping your feet is a rather simple endeavor, although your wounds kind of itch when you wrap them with your burlap bandages. They also chafe. And feel rather dirty. Dirtier than they already were, which is quite an accomplishment. You also seem to have tied your hands together somehow, which is simultaneously perplexing and frustrating.

What's more, a certain Mr. Daniels joins you down in this horrible place, climbing gingerly down the chain hanging down the well shaft and jumping down effortlessly. He seems to be going somewhere, but stops when he sees you. He appears to be slightly more naked than you, surprisingly enough, yet largely unconcerned by the fact.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 05, 2016, 07:05:50 pm »

"Oh hey. Judging by your nudity and inexplicable confusion, you probably woke up here or somewhere nearby with no idea where the hell you were, right? You're ostensibly from Earth, I assume?"

If there's no answer, I shrug and go into the door. Time to do another deal. If he talks back, I'll obviously be staying and talking.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:15:09 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 05, 2016, 09:14:39 pm »

I squeeze back into the alcove by the sarcophagus, then try to find a relatively unmoldy place to rest for a bit.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 06, 2016, 05:10:42 am »

"Neat mechanism. Clearly work of true master!"

Mayhaps someone is listening and flattery gets somewhere?
Burn this all into my memory so I can recreate the vision later in detail. Then work out INEVITABILITIES of the central circle. Surely it isn't sacrificial platform or anything equally wicked.

...Though I rather should be climbing up instead.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 06, 2016, 08:47:15 am »

"Correct on all counts, though that ostensibly is worrying. Where are we, then, if not Earth? And how do you know that's what's happened?"
Cut hand bindings whilst talking. That piece of glass is still wedged in the floor, right?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 06, 2016, 03:46:24 pm »

"I'll give you the quick version - we're in a castle called Anglefork, which is in a kingdom called Benzerwald, I think. It's being beseiged by an army of around 600ish stoatmen, which are basically people with really short limbs and unnaturally flexible spines. Not sure why they're doing it, and I'm not sure how many of them are alive right now since one of us went on a bit of a killing spree among their ranks. We people from earth got summoned here by their version of wizards, called minders. We're not exactly normal; we may or may not be the souls of our former selves possessing a magical material made up of rats. I haven't quite figured out the details yet, and I'm not really going to bother because there doesn't seem to be a way of getting back and my life was kinda shitty anyway. So yeah, good luck. Oh, and if you hurt yourself, bleeding doesn't seem to hurt us as much as it would other people. I got impaled through the kidney recently and I'm fine."
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 161