Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249700 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the New Shape of Murder
« Reply #885 on: April 01, 2016, 06:02:50 pm »

"Well. So these are the words the well mentioned. Interesting."

He looks for a while at the unconscious blacksmith.

"That hurt like almost nothing ever has, you know. But the result ... a lot of things are focused on the mind here. I should've expected it.

Perhaps I should go test it out. Not on you, you've given me this and I need armor. But someone."

He goes and steps outside the hut, taking in a deep breath. It's not often you get to appreciate your surroundings, and the residual excruciating pain makes things clearer.

Hmm. Hadn't priestly buddy said something about prophecy or some shit? Maybe he should ask him.

Is priesty still sobbing outside the hut? If so, go ask him what he meant about that prophecy from way back when. If he's not there, look for where he could've gone. Not many places a near-crisp offed dude can get in that short a time, after all.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 02, 2016, 09:00:21 am »

What now? A robot?

"I am Eileen, summoned from a distant land by the people of Anglefork. The city is in peril and I am looking for anything that could help us defend it."

[A Simple Request: 6]

The buzz softens, turns to a hum. It gives you ideas. Encroaching hordes. Horrific monsters. Fallen gods and rising devils, emerging from the unknown to wreak havoc on the fair land of Benzerwald, all these has history witnessed - all these has history shamelessly lied about. All of this is false. All of this she has lived. Here she remains on the border of credulity. Close enough to an actual happening, yet far too distant for anyone to accept as their own. Such was the ultimate failing of her kin.

Her capacity for boons is minimal. Two dozen fingers of metal weave their way upward, tapping warmly on your body as they inch along. The hum grows deafening. You are in dire straits indeed, to appear before the queen without so much as a set of good clothing. This is within her power to correct.

From the fingers spring fabrics and threads, working their way around you, fashioning a full hooded robe of mixed threads, exquisitely woven from whatever reclaimed fibers have remained through the aeons. The appropriate robe of a supplicant. Wear it well, and dialogue may commence in earnest. The fingers recede slightly, though one or two tap against you every now and then in what feels like anticipation.

Her? Heretic? It wasn't a guy? Tread carefully here, buddy.

"Oh, I met her in a prison cell briefly before getting tucked into another cell. She asked me to deliver this to her relatives on this side of the wall. Are you one of her relatives perhaps?"

[Carefully Indeed: 2]

He spits on the ground with obvious disgust after you've said your piece. The crossbowstoats mutter to themselves. Some of them run their hands over their crossbows uneasily.

Is she dead, the lieutenant asks after a pause. You most certainly aren't a big fan of his current expression.

"Right, yes, of course. But who's this poor fellow?"

Ask questions whilst working over one of the guards. Any keys?

Oh, that'd be the one what stole the mirror yesterday, the girl chatters back. Numpty thought he could actually escape from the guards. During a siege. The girl rolls her eyes. Took gold for it, apparently. Honestly, good that these guards were around. Otherwise he'd never learn. If the castle guard commander were involved, this guy would be first in line for the block, and she most certainly doesn't mean the headsman's one if you get her meaning. You don't think you do, but you hesitate to ask more, instead focusing on the pockets of the wine-drenched sister.

[Wonderful Loot: 6]

No keys, unfortunately, but she does seem to have some things on her - a laughably small pouch with six gold coins in it, a single key, an empty wineskin on her belt, and finally a necklace of five ears squirreled underneath her armor. Well-dried, but nicely preserved. A little unusual in shape, though. Maybe more grayish than you'd expect.

You hear a slight jangle from the direction of the large guard. The servant girl seems to have had a bit more luck than you, a ring of incredibly many keys coming off the guard's passed-out shape. Her hands travel quickly and quite softly over him, surprisingly thorough with any hiding spots. She seems to be silently singing to herself.

"Well. So these are the words the well mentioned. Interesting."

He looks for a while at the unconscious blacksmith.

"That hurt like almost nothing ever has, you know. But the result ... a lot of things are focused on the mind here. I should've expected it.

Perhaps I should go test it out. Not on you, you've given me this and I need armor. But someone."

He goes and steps outside the hut, taking in a deep breath. It's not often you get to appreciate your surroundings, and the residual excruciating pain makes things clearer.

Hmm. Hadn't priestly buddy said something about prophecy or some shit? Maybe he should ask him.

Is priesty still sobbing outside the hut? If so, go ask him what he meant about that prophecy from way back when. If he's not there, look for where he could've gone. Not many places a near-crisp offed dude can get in that short a time, after all.

You choose to get a bit of fresh air and also find that priest guy. He seems to be futilely trying to drag the window away, weeping openly as he makes almost no progress. You go up to him and tap him on the shoulder (with your right hand - you still haven't built up the courage to look at your left). He seems startled, and looks your way for a second in abject confusion. You begin to ask him about the prophecy, but he quite rudely turns back to the window, seemingly uninterested in answering your questions. You tense up a little more, and the thought grows a little bit sharper as it sweeps aimlessly in the air around you.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 02, 2016, 09:43:34 am »

"Thank you, milady. May I ask who I'm speaking to? Forgive me, but I'm unfamiliar with this realm or its history."
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:47:50 am by penguinofhonor »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 02, 2016, 10:27:26 am »

Uh...

"Well, she escaped around sunset. If she's not here then I assume her escape failed and therefore she's dead. She was certain that failed attempt would result her death. So, where I should drop this stone?"
Leif asks, wearing smile of confidence like a mask.

Am I bearer of good news? I hope I am.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 02, 2016, 11:14:00 am »

Thomas sighed.  He wasn't getting much done here.

"Right, yes, I suppose I understand.  I have the same important news as the guard, I assume.  The red-haired gentleman, I suppose?  Ah, it is okay.  I will check in later."

Wander on.  Seek the Majordomo; I've talked to his daughter and she's educated, if a bit eccentric.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 02, 2016, 11:52:15 am »

"Okay hold on. I gotta try this thing out. Have your answer ready when I get back, alright?"

Go trot over to the Doomstones and try to use the thought to cut one of them in half. Maybe that's how it works.

Also take a look at my hand. What did I do to myself for superpowers?
Sig! Onol

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 02, 2016, 03:08:44 pm »

"Ah. So is that the standard punishment for stealing?"
You know what? Put the pouch back. The ears as well, they're more than a little creepy.
On second thoughts, offer the pouch to the girl.

"Thinking about it, is this money even worth anything? With the siege situation and all?"
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 03:11:51 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 03, 2016, 07:57:01 am »

"Thank you, milady. May I ask who I'm speaking to? Forgive me, but I'm unfamiliar with this realm or its history."

[The View From Nowhere: 3]

Very few truly are. It is a sad state the kingdom is in. One of her fingers gently touches the top of your skull.

She may educate you, however. Her stories have been told before, though not by herself.

Uh...

"Well, she escaped around sunset. If she's not here then I assume her escape failed and therefore she's dead. She was certain that failed attempt would result her death. So, where I should drop this stone?"
Leif asks, wearing smile of confidence like a mask.

Am I bearer of good news? I hope I am.

[Have You Heard The Good News: 5]

You assume she is dead. So have they. But there she was, made to scream for mercy in the other tongue by the humans within the castle. He cares not for your assumptions. Her cowardice has brought disgrace and shame upon them all. And so it will continue until she has met her end, witnessed and attested.

Your information is worthless, much like your life, the lieutenant declares. Perhaps an eye for an eye is in order, then. A few stoats step up behind you, short arms grabbing your shoulders. Perhaps they should flay you alive, then impale you in front of the walls. Just out of reach of the bows of the guard. Close enough to hear, too far to aid... why, he does believe he will-

He will do no such thing, comes an authoritative voice from behind the lieutenant, the figure of a stoatman arrayed in mismatched plate armor the apparent source. He strides closer, flanked by well-padded, grizzled thugs. The other stoatmen freeze noticeably at his approach, but only for a moment - the rank and file split away from you as he comes closer, the lieutenant shrinking away and paling all over his body.

Greetings. From the look of the poor lieutenant here, it makes a sharp glance in his direction, it appears you have news. And an object of interest, it looks at your stone.

The lieutenant, after a moment of composing himself, begins to make a report, but the stoatman silences him with a gesture. Best to hear it from the horse's mouth, he says (no offense, he says with a glance toward you).

Thomas sighed.  He wasn't getting much done here.

"Right, yes, I suppose I understand.  I have the same important news as the guard, I assume.  The red-haired gentleman, I suppose?  Ah, it is okay.  I will check in later."

Wander on.  Seek the Majordomo; I've talked to his daughter and she's educated, if a bit eccentric.

[Ramble On: 2]

The majordomo is up and about, it seems, and happens to be walking around on the ground floor, shooing servants this way and that, busily ordering them about in some imitation of a daily routine. You discern no real purpose in most of his instructions, but he seems to deem them important enough to wave off any attempts to bother him. It seems to be some kind of unusual state of mind he's in. You think he's not slept for a while, perhaps. And you think he's sweating a tad.

"Okay hold on. I gotta try this thing out. Have your answer ready when I get back, alright?"

Go trot over to the Doomstones and try to use the thought to cut one of them in half. Maybe that's how it works.

Also take a look at my hand. What did I do to myself for superpowers?

You walk toward the stone circle, focusing on one of the propped-up stones.

[Thousand Cuts: 4]

Each heartbeat brings a rush of blood along your ears, and is matched with a gash along the stone. Your heart is going a mile a minute. The stone (not terribly large, mind you - just enough to serve as adequate cover for a slightly crouched individual) begins to crack, then sway as it is sliced from a multitude of directions. You stand in front of it. In three seconds more it falls apart, buckling under your murderous intent. A fine test.

You look at your left hand. You think it's your left hand, at least. It has very little in common with what you remember of what it once may have been. The best you can manage out of it in terms of movement is a numb twitch along the wrist, and you cannot quite say where one finger ends and the other begins. You look back on where you were a little while ago - it seems you've lost a few bits along the way.

"Ah. So is that the standard punishment for stealing?"
You know what? Put the pouch back. The ears as well, they're more than a little creepy.
On second thoughts, offer the pouch to the girl.

"Thinking about it, is this money even worth anything? With the siege situation and all?"

There are no standard punishments, the girl says. Not anymore. There are, however, ones that certain individuals feel appropriate. She shoots a look at the beaten man - one would expect them to get more savage in the coming months.

As for the gold, the girl shrugs. There was a short while where gold was worth something, she says as she moves on to the other sister on the ground. The sister stirs a little at her touch, and the girl steps back. Probably best to hold off, she says. In any case, yes. Gold. The priest used to provide his rations for gold, but only until he was finished with his shiny robe. Some people still hide theirs. Optimism, you know.

Anyhow, you want to take the idiot's things? You can have at him if you like. She usually likes to wait a few minutes before taking the guards out, in case any of them slipped into shallower sleep during the frisking.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 03, 2016, 08:47:13 am »

"...entirely worth it. I don't know exactly when I stopped caring that this wasn't a dream or a video game or something, but ... this is life more than anything else ever has been for me. And goddamn does that guy deliver."

Head back to priesty.

"Okay, now that I've confirmed that the horrific sacrifice I made for personal power has actually been delivered upon - unlike a certain other someone...thing who we'll not speak of - I'm back to hear about the prophecy! So speak up, it's about the best thing you can do for your existence right now."
Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 03, 2016, 12:31:56 pm »

Fear is in air, wonder if that's sufficient for mob minding.

"Ah, important one arrives. Or dangerous one. Probably both, all things considering. No offense taken ...probably." Friendly slap on lieutenant's back.

"Well, the thing is that shortly after my arrival into Anglefork Castle I was thrown into cell with the person whose stone this is. Rather soon she puked it out and told me to take it to her relatives on this side of wall. Telling her number too; three, six, four. It didn't take long for her to get violent so I got assigned into another cell and she escaped shorty afterwards through main doors. Through the path she cearly wasn't planning to take originally. But whatcha gonna do? When opportunity presents itself one should take it. Didn't see her afterwards and nobody wasn't talking about escaped sods, so I assume she was caught, executed and buried. Took little adventuring in the labyrinth beneath the castle, but after that I came here, told the story and this fellow wanted to kill me slowly.

Oh, and this is for you. My gift to you for trying to get me killed. Eat."
Last words are aimed at lieutenant, offering of alcoholic fruits.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 03, 2016, 01:18:45 pm »

Might as well.

Stay and observe the majordomo.  Perhaps watching him can lend a hint to the dynamics of the castle?  Or at least he'll eventually have a moment to spare.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 03, 2016, 02:42:46 pm »

"Oh, right. Thanks."
Frisk the idiot, then. You never know.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 03, 2016, 03:06:35 pm »

"I'm grateful for any information you have. Do you know of the stoatmen? They're the ones besieging Anglefork, and I know worryingly little about them."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:22:02 am by penguinofhonor »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 05, 2016, 12:59:01 pm »

"...entirely worth it. I don't know exactly when I stopped caring that this wasn't a dream or a video game or something, but ... this is life more than anything else ever has been for me. And goddamn does that guy deliver."

Head back to priesty.

"Okay, now that I've confirmed that the horrific sacrifice I made for personal power has actually been delivered upon - unlike a certain other someone...thing who we'll not speak of - I'm back to hear about the prophecy! So speak up, it's about the best thing you can do for your existence right now."

You ask the priest for his input, but he just continues weeping at his poor abused window. You try to soothe him with an earnest request for prophecy. Priests ought to be all over that! He isn't. You try for some time. You get impatient. Bleeding scratches start to appear along his bearded, unkempt face. He doesn't seem to particularly notice.

[A Clue: 4]

Come to think of it, you don't think he's actually acknowledged your presence in the last fifteen or so times you've tried to speak or quip to him. This seems almost as suspicious as it does displeasing.

Fear is in air, wonder if that's sufficient for mob minding.

"Ah, important one arrives. Or dangerous one. Probably both, all things considering. No offense taken ...probably." Friendly slap on lieutenant's back.

"Well, the thing is that shortly after my arrival into Anglefork Castle I was thrown into cell with the person whose stone this is. Rather soon she puked it out and told me to take it to her relatives on this side of wall. Telling her number too; three, six, four. It didn't take long for her to get violent so I got assigned into another cell and she escaped shorty afterwards through main doors. Through the path she cearly wasn't planning to take originally. But whatcha gonna do? When opportunity presents itself one should take it. Didn't see her afterwards and nobody wasn't talking about escaped sods, so I assume she was caught, executed and buried. Took little adventuring in the labyrinth beneath the castle, but after that I came here, told the story and this fellow wanted to kill me slowly.

Oh, and this is for you. My gift to you for trying to get me killed. Eat."
Last words are aimed at lieutenant, offering of alcoholic fruits.

You look at the line of stoatmen, currently all staring at the plated figure. An opening!

[Theory's Fruition: 1]

Or perhaps not. There is disunity. Fear. Awe. Hints of something unusual. An emotion you do not recognize. An echo of something else, rustling beneath the surface. A glint of something savage runs through their eyes, intrigued by a careless prod.

You are brought out of consideration by a stern tap on the shoulder. Best to keep your minding to yourself, friend, the armored stoatman says. Beneath his full helmet you see one of his yellow eyes start twitching. Indeed, best come along peaceably. This is probably a conversation to have further away from the walls, oh yes it is. Probably such a conversation indeed.

Might as well.

Stay and observe the majordomo.  Perhaps watching him can lend a hint to the dynamics of the castle?  Or at least he'll eventually have a moment to spare.

[Method To The Madness: 4]

The majordomo gestures and commands, and the servants spill around him. Not with any correlation to what he's ordering them to do, you notice. And it's just them running along back and forth, muttering about lateness and preparations and what have you, not legitimately doing anything. Honestly, this seems to be a game they're playing. One that the majordomo appears admirably committed to. You try to ask him for assistance three more times at what feel like opportune moments, but meet with only a glare of vague irritation. The fourth time, though, he seems to have had quite enough.

You, he says! Get the thing! Not any thing in particular, mind you. Luckily, you know better than to ask questions. You run down the hall, then run right back. He orders you the other way - make sure the feast is ready, he says! You jog after an older servant who lets off a small giggle as she gets out of earshot of the majordomo. You share a look of understanding as she imitates his mannerisms along the way. She doesn't seem to be taking this quite as seriously as the others.

"Oh, right. Thanks."
Frisk the idiot, then. You never know.

[Beautiful Loot: 4]

Searching the fellow, you find that he's not so much unconscious as he is completely incapable of putting up any resistance. Not that this necessarily matters. He has 6 more shiny golden coins on him placed in a pocket, and also quite a wealth of other knickknacks. A pair of misshapen dice, a lock of unknown hair, a single iron nail, never used. They're definitely curios of a sort, you suppose.

So, the girl starts to say, how do you want to do this? She takes the arms, you take the legs? Carrying someone in full armor up a set of stairs is kind of a bitch for the most part (god she hates it when these morons party in their armor), but she figures it shouldn't be too bad if you can help out. Least you can do for half the loot, right?

"I'm grateful for any information you have. Do you know of the stoatmen? They're the ones besieging Anglefork, and I know worryingly little about them."

Stoatmen? A new scourge, no doubt. Sixty scourges she has seen, sixty-two there ought to have been. Each came with the name of a century, towering over the kings of its time. Each was brought down in glorious conflict.

The buzz deepens as low hisses split off from it. You see Anglefork primeval, an ancient, twisted sea, bubbling with explosions of brilliant light. Here the settler, first among the kings, would face the echo of the end times. It was brought low, and it was brought far. It will come back. As it began, so it must end. The first folk trawled the waters and fished out the forests, where dwelt the second scourge, the many-stranded ones. Plagues of spores gave rise to gardens of sweet aromas that heralded death. The land was to be burned three times, scoured until nothing remained, the scars sutured to let nothing out ever again. The land was stretched across the sea precariously thinly, but El met Benzerwald met Elizabeth, and many more states met in the joining as well. Then came the men of the south, who demanded their share - they were the third scourge, and they were met with an open wound in the fabric of time. A dangerous thing indeed. They were seen again since, but only in dreams, and none would admit the fact of their birth.

She does not stop. The fourth scourge was the eater of time, emerged from the torn suture at its appointed date. The wound was mended with the centuries that spilled from its veins, and some of the leftover ages were bequeathed to the land of El for their aid in this endeavor, whether they wanted them or not. A hundred and fifty years were burnt in offering to the triumphant king. Yeah, you think she's intending to tell you about the full sixty. The fifth scourge was the plague of the future, the disease that tore at the minds of the descendants of the great hunters of the previous scourge. They were corralled over decades, and set aboard flaming barges as they were loaded off into the twisted subterranean sea. They were told to never return, and were observed as they turned to ash on the bent horizon. Their inevitable return was the sixth scourge, when the king called up the whole nation, from the smallest child to the most helpless elder, to bring out a greater flame so that their horrid shadows may be shrunk to a shape that could be dashed against the rocks of the Corner. Thus was the army of the old kingdom born.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 05, 2016, 02:04:29 pm »

"That works. Will we have to carry them far?"
Help carry the guards off.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 161