Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249674 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: What I Bring Is Light
« Reply #945 on: April 13, 2016, 02:14:59 am »

"Places to be? Like in a grave? Don't worry, you'll get there eventually. We'll all get there. Anyway..."

Admittedly, creation myths were not the most interesting part of mythology. Except the part where Loki tricked that one guy to kill the another guy in the party. That was funny one. Ticked off a lot important gods. Story continues at more relevant point, which is me getting drunk after long week in mine, starting fight with foreman, getting tossed into cell to sleep my head clear and then subsequently waking up in rat bath.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 13, 2016, 05:30:46 am »

"Yes, that's all. I'll see you when we find out."
Glance around the courtyard and go off to ask anyone out where the minders are.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 13, 2016, 10:55:54 am »

Why. Why why why.

Okay, time for desperate measures. Maybe some moderate personal injury. I produce an explosive cyst. Then I throw it directly down and jump at the same time, in hopes that the explosion will propel me upward and toward the tunnel.

There's no reason this should work. Well, no good reason. You think you're a little past good reasons, however. A cyst grows from your palm, severing itself with a painless loss of cells.

[Cyst Jumping: 5]

You let it cook for a second or two as the serpent wearing your face goes for a swoop, blinking exactly once as you leap up and throw the cyst down. It explodes like a demolition charge, a slow yet robust blast. The blood-formed construct tries to veer away as you spread your arms and legs, making like a sail as a blast washes over you, propelling you upward and forward as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

You fly for some distance, trying not to think of the no doubt considerable internal bleeding you just inflicted upon yourself with this frankly insane stunt. Instead you think about how you're going to land, which seems a more immediate concern. You go into a roll as you drop to the exit's floor, tumbling into the comfortably dark and familiar tunnel that led you to this damn place.

[The Serpent's Pursuit: 6]

As you rise to your feet moments afterward, you hear a horrid howl coming toward you from the light behind you. A red and stunted shadow flies along the edge of your vision as you turn your head to look, hot on your trail beyond the shadow of a doubt. The other thirteen you hear more distantly, death screams dying off one by one as their bubble-spawned life begins to run out.

"If I give you the Queen will you agree to not kill me? I could go get her right now if you want. But if you're just gonna kill me anyway I don't see any reason not to butcher the lot of you and dress myself in your skinned faces." Not that I really want to or anything, you see, but if you're gonna kill me anyway I'm not gonna sit back and let you.
Oh, I'm technically not a resident of Anglefork, and in fact I might not even be human. Would you still kill me?"

Friendly negotiation!

[Epitome of Friendliness: 5]

Your options are clear, human. Surrender and your death will be swift, painless and lacking in additional humiliation. Fail to do so and-

The commander is interrupted when she is smacked in the back with a shield by an officer of slightly lower standing. Off-balance, she tumbles off the pyramid with a yelp of surprise, and a shorter yet broader officer steps up in her place, in a bit of a rush as she makes an alternative pitch.

Human, she says! Disregard the major's offer! For a limited time only, your survival will be absolutely guaranteed if you deliver the queen to this invading force with no further loss of life on either end. And by a limited time she means can you do it before the day's end? Otherwise she thinks they're going to-

The officer pauses to kick a now-recovered major in the face, looking quite panicked as she does so. Funny thing is, the way she just probably gave her superior officer a concussion seems to be the least of it. The pyramid wobbles under her feet as the soldiers become dreadfully unsure of what's going on. She looks down and tries to bark orders at them through the speaking trumpet, which succeeds only in part.

Off in the distance you see a stoatman in superior, if grossly mismatched armor sprinting this way as well. Still a ways off, but definitely hauling as much ass as his impractical attire allows.

Just don't think about it.

"Yes, yes, I have most certainly had my meal now.  Thank you, but I must depart."

Abscond mightily.  Try not to think about it.  Maybe some water to wash it down?

[A Hero's Retreat: 4]

Fortunately, they're a bit preoccupied with leaving for the most part themselves, so you run along a little unsteadily and get to the functional courtyard well, where you have a nice dozen gulps of fresh water. It makes you feel only queasier and fuller, but at least you've successfully gotten the taste out of your mouth.

You hear someone yelling from the walls. Sounds like Mr. Daniels. There's also a familiar-looking naked lad climbing up the side of the house, an elderly guard councluding a chat with Mr. Wilde and a servant girl, and some other fellows going around here and there. Mr. Wilde gives you a look of hopefulness as he approaches, seemingly in need of information on the location of the minders.

"Places to be? Like in a grave? Don't worry, you'll get there eventually. We'll all get there. Anyway..."

Admittedly, creation myths were not the most interesting part of mythology. Except the part where Loki tricked that one guy to kill the another guy in the party. That was funny one. Ticked off a lot important gods. Story continues at more relevant point, which is me getting drunk after long week in mine, starting fight with foreman, getting tossed into cell to sleep my head clear and then subsequently waking up in rat bath.

[A Less Comprehensive Report: 3]

That's better, says the memorizer. Not good, since he's no idea what you're on about. You're one of the castle minders? What were you doing in a mine, eh? Sounds like a load of bollocks to him if you'll let him be frank. Hell if he'll let that get in the way of his report, though. With that in mind, how'd you get in there and why're you getting out, anyway?

"Yes, that's all. I'll see you when we find out."
Glance around the courtyard and go off to ask anyone out where the minders are.

[Excellent Judge of Character: 3]

Well, there's Mr. Daniels yelling at people from the parapets, a naked fellow climbing up a house, a couple miscellaneous individuals... and then there's Mr. Minstep. While questionably dressed, he is no more so than you are. Based on this kinship, you approach him. He seems a little idle and really quite nauseous, so you don't think you're disturbing him too much. As you ask him where the minders are, his first response is a disarming mix of a belch and a retch from having downed half a gallon of water. After that he begins to compose an answer, you think.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 13, 2016, 11:16:24 am »

((Holy crap, I lived. Or bought myself some time, at least.))

I swing the blade at the spirit, hoping that I can get it back in there somehow.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 13, 2016, 11:22:07 am »

"Are you deaf or something? I'm not a minder, but a miner. I'm not even human if I'm to believe that shitty wish granter. I can perfectly copy minding techniques after seeing one, but that's only because minding is easy and that's how the well granted my wish. Have you not been listening at all? Oh wait, you are different one. Sorry, you all look same.
Well, you see, the minders tried to summon demons to save their asses, but damn fools were not good enough for that. Instead they managed to get attention of some otherwordly hungry darkness who handled rest and summoned me and few other guys to feed it."

Finish the report with more or less detailed and factual version of events as far as I can recall. Let's leave out the whole disagreement part between me and knight's second cousin. Don't want to make myself look too bad. Employ lots of flailing and miming.

And offer him a vodka fruit.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 13, 2016, 11:32:50 am »

"Yeah, I'm gonna wait for that guy in better armor to explain his position on things because I think you guys are too low on the totem pole for me to trust your word being carried out."

Wait for superior armor guy to explain his position on things. Repeat my questions (why you wanna kill everyone here, any possibility of letting me go maybe?) if need be.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 13, 2016, 05:27:08 pm »

"Pardon me!  What?  Yes, yes, I know where they are now; they moved overnight due to intractable structural and safety concerns.  They're over this way; follow me?"

Lead on
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 14, 2016, 05:13:36 am »

"Oh, excellent. What were the safety concerns, then? I take it they had something to do with that poor boy?"
Follow.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 14, 2016, 07:48:31 am »

((Holy crap, I lived. Or bought myself some time, at least.))

I swing the blade at the spirit, hoping that I can get it back in there somehow.

[Tragedy In Two Halves: 1 vs. 5]

The spirit streaks along the ceiling as you swing the blade in its direction, tearing through the air. You swing and it connects - the serpent halfway into two, its mockery of your face opening down the middle as it reveals a long mouth that immediately sprouts teeth of congealed agony. It rips forward, two strips of teeth wrapping around your body, holding fast and then grinding around each other, tearing flesh. No blood spills as it drags along you, every bit of it lapped up by the spirit. It grows stronger, greater in scope.

As its wailing becomes increasingly humanlike it detaches, taking a moment to regroup into a form very closely mirroring yours, a deep red likeness fashioned from your blood. You feel a strange weakness coming on as it - she starts crawling toward you on all fours, howls for your blood articulated into basic words. Feed her, sustain her! Make her whole!

"Are you deaf or something? I'm not a minder, but a miner. I'm not even human if I'm to believe that shitty wish granter. I can perfectly copy minding techniques after seeing one, but that's only because minding is easy and that's how the well granted my wish. Have you not been listening at all? Oh wait, you are different one. Sorry, you all look same.
Well, you see, the minders tried to summon demons to save their asses, but damn fools were not good enough for that. Instead they managed to get attention of some otherwordly hungry darkness who handled rest and summoned me and few other guys to feed it."

Finish the report with more or less detailed and factual version of events as far as I can recall. Let's leave out the whole disagreement part between me and knight's second cousin. Don't want to make myself look too bad. Employ lots of flailing and miming.

And offer him a vodka fruit.

[The Salient Parts: 5]

Takes a bit to relay your glorious story, naturally. And as with any oral history, there's plenty of abridgement. Mostly on the memorizer's part as he interjects occasionally with handy summations of faff and interesting-sounding embellishments to help with the remembering. At the end of it, you think he's about got the gist of it. And he does a really funny impression of your smiling and flailing explanations, you discover.

[In Grapefruit, Truth: 4]

Of course, this is only after the situation has been sufficiently lubricated with application of grapefruits, which the memorizer seems rather appreciative of, if not overly interested in indulging in. He passes for sober by the end, but only barely. As does the tale, you reflect. Ah well. Now's the time for him to be on his way, right?

Right, says the memorizer. Just gotta get naked and swim the river out to town, then relay this to the someone-or-other they got installed there if he understands correctly. And also get as far away from this fucking siege camp as possible before everyone gets eaten or something. Anyway, you have fun now, you lovely gobshite, he'll go off and be somewhere far away for the rest of his natural life if you don't mind. And with that he runs off, seemingly with the intent of leaving you alone in the tent. You guess you can't really blame him for the fact slipping his mind, excited and buzzed as he appears to be.

"Yeah, I'm gonna wait for that guy in better armor to explain his position on things because I think you guys are too low on the totem pole for me to trust your word being carried out."

Wait for superior armor guy to explain his position on things. Repeat my questions (why you wanna kill everyone here, any possibility of letting me go maybe?) if need be.

The officer looks up, seemingly a little desperate. Do consider it, human! It's a limited time offer and- wait, better armor guy? She looks back and nearly falls off the pyramid as she sees the incoming stoatman. Oh dear, her posture seems to tell you as she dives off the pyramid. The people at the wall, realizing one by one that somebody presumably quite important is coming, have a similar reaction, and the ratio of stoatmen who run and the ones who try to get back into formation is 50/50 or thereabouts.

The knight, however, does not seem overly interested as he runs past the stoats, ripping the trumpet from the officer's hands as he comes to a very deliberate stop atop the mayor. Human, he shouts through the trumpet-

Yes, yes, you shout back, surrender or die and all that. You had questions! Why do they want to kill everyone in here?

[Solid Answers: 5]

The knight lowers the trumpet a moment, thinking. Then he replies, speaking loudly, deliberately and with a great deal of enunciation - the royal house and its holdouts represent the old state. Their death is absolutely required for the new state's unquestioned existence. They must not be permitted to consort with the powers of the Corner of the World, the Land of El, Elizabeth, the Kingdom of the Dead or any other actors on the political stage, and the complete annihilation of the royal family as well as immediate employees and associates is the method deemed appropriate by the Prime Speaker of the new state of Benzerwald. This will be achieved by one set of means or another, but it will be achieved without a shadow of a doubt.

How about the whole extermination thing, you ask? If you hand over the queen, can you just get this business over with? The knight says unfortunately no. Her associates must also be slaughtered and irrevocably disposed of. Everyone in the castle has been marked for death by one means or another. You nod and figure you'll ask another question, but he continues - you are Mr. Daniels, apparently. You may be subject to a special exception, or at least occupy a position of uncertainty, being very possibly an unknown factor brought about by the exact sort of meddling this scorched earth intervention was supposed to prevent. As such, if you assist the siege effort your case may be of special interest to the Speakers such as himself, and your lack of complicity in the crimes of the old state (if he understands your situation correctly) may be a further alleviating circumstance despite your deeply unsettling and threatening nature.

He lowers the trumpet again, a heavy visor failing to obscure a certain brightness in his eyes you can see even from atop the wall. He seems to be anxious about your response, you think.

"Pardon me!  What?  Yes, yes, I know where they are now; they moved overnight due to intractable structural and safety concerns.  They're over this way; follow me?"

Lead on

Perhaps Mr. Wilde will have better luck with the minders - in any case you explain the situation to him and lead him through the foyer and up to the second floor where the minder room awaits. You usher him and his lovely companion in, lingering at the door a moment. Should you follow? The girl seemed a little displeased at your presence when last you spoke.

"Oh, excellent. What were the safety concerns, then? I take it they had something to do with that poor boy?"
Follow.

Mr. Minstep proves greatly useful, taking you right to a strange room on the second floor of the castle. Inside there is a concerned-looking girl no more than twelve years old, surrounded by even younger children of various ages sitting at the walls and on furniture. All except the girl are looking contemplative to a distinctly unchildlike degree. The girl, meanwhile, immediately swivels her head to observe your arrival and that of the servant girl.

Minders, says your companion. A bit younger than she'd have thought, but these look reasonably legit. She looks their way, then takes a sudden step back as the little girl gives her a rather savage-looking glare. The minder girl then looks at you.

Great. Another one. She can't help you, you understand? Whatever the hell you're supposed to be, she's gotten way too involved with it already. So just turn around and go away now before something adverse happens again. Go badger the well if you want answers. Or favors. Or really anything.

As the minder girl glares your way, the servant has taken cover behind you. Maybe you shouldn't linger here long, she suggests. Minders have ways, you know? Honestly, she's kind of unsure what you were doing here to begin with.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 14, 2016, 10:35:12 am »

"Well, look at that. I have been left alone in midst of loot..."

Loot the loot. Perhaps there's something more clothes like objects I can wear and improve state of my appearance? Weapons would be cool, too. Let's make inventory.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 14, 2016, 11:45:57 am »

"No, your power belongs to me! I HUNGER for it!" I try to absorb the spirit.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 14, 2016, 01:13:30 pm »

"Well see, while that sounds appealing on the surface, all those mays and perhapses aren't doing all that much for me. I'd like a guarantee, could you get me a guarantee of 'no stoatmen or member of the new state or whatever you like to call yourselves will try murdering me'? 'Cause if you gimme a guarantee I could probably get you the queen in like, five minutes tops. Throw her from the walls here and probably hit one of your subordinates, or use her to bash down whatever gates this place has. I assume it has gates."

Jack thinks for a moment.

"Oh, and one more thing. I know crimes of the old state and blardy blardy blar, but could I convince you to leave one guy other than me non-dead? He's this blacksmith kid who did me quite a big service. Hurt like hell at the time, but it worked and I wanna ensure I can get access to him in the future. It's not much I'm asking, just me and the blacksmith not being subject to murder attempts and such. I can get you her highness right now if you can guarantee that."

Further negotiation! Also look around to see if anyone's reacting negatively to my potential treason or whatever. Make sure one of the guards isn't gonna be stupid and try stabbing me or something.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 14, 2016, 03:26:22 pm »

"Well, that's polite. Would you talk to your parents like that? Whatever happened to respecting your elders, let alone complete strangers?"
Lesson one - basic manners, free of charge.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 15, 2016, 12:18:51 am »

"Er.  Uh.  Well, yes, the lack of adequate fire exits, insufficient signage, questionable structural integrity; the place was falling apart as we were there!  Ah, yes, here we are."

Loiter.  Listen in.  Might as well stand inside the door.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:20:25 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 15, 2016, 06:55:28 am »

"Well, look at that. I have been left alone in midst of loot..."

Loot the loot. Perhaps there's something more clothes like objects I can wear and improve state of my appearance? Weapons would be cool, too. Let's make inventory.

[Sublime Loot: 2]

You run into the rather obvious problem of there being nowhere to really put much of this loot. You guess you could grab some of the shitty wine to drink on the way, or pour out several bottles in a larger vase, but that'd be both unwieldy and conspicuous. Not to mention quite gauche.

What mostly catches your eye among all the vaguely shiny village-quality garbage is a stack of six large cheese wheels, looking a little out of place among the relatively non-perishable goods like ornamented mugs, woven rugs and clay jugs. There's also three chests - one is large, one is small, both of them locked, and then there's one which is strangely warm and lacking in a lock - despite this it fails to open. Oddly enough it seems to be bolted from the inside.

"No, your power belongs to me! I HUNGER for it!" I try to absorb the spirit.

You remember a trick that you tried once. Could it work again, perhaps?

HUNGER

[Word: 5]

The word does not travel this time, coming as a whisper as its kernel unfurls within your body and gives rise to something else, something you have seen before. The spirit is unmindful of the change at first, continuing to howl as she advances - this changes as you look upon her and she perceives a profound change. She stops silent in her tracks as you take a long step and jut your arms forward, your hands grown long and fingers sharp. Her next scream is one of surprise as you begin to lap her blood in great handfuls back into your wounds and mouth, tearing her limbs off one by one, reclaiming what is rightfully yours.

[A Much-Needed Meal: 2]

You feel bloated at the end of the meal, uncannily aware the taste of your own blood along the entirety of your skin. Lingering twitches of the spirit's resistance last for a few seconds, as does an overpowering sense of nausea. Nevertheless, beneath this you feel a strange sense of wholeness - the telltale sign of health through sorcery.

"Well see, while that sounds appealing on the surface, all those mays and perhapses aren't doing all that much for me. I'd like a guarantee, could you get me a guarantee of 'no stoatmen or member of the new state or whatever you like to call yourselves will try murdering me'? 'Cause if you gimme a guarantee I could probably get you the queen in like, five minutes tops. Throw her from the walls here and probably hit one of your subordinates, or use her to bash down whatever gates this place has. I assume it has gates."

Jack thinks for a moment.

"Oh, and one more thing. I know crimes of the old state and blardy blardy blar, but could I convince you to leave one guy other than me non-dead? He's this blacksmith kid who did me quite a big service. Hurt like hell at the time, but it worked and I wanna ensure I can get access to him in the future. It's not much I'm asking, just me and the blacksmith not being subject to murder attempts and such. I can get you her highness right now if you can guarantee that."

Further negotiation! Also look around to see if anyone's reacting negatively to my potential treason or whatever. Make sure one of the guards isn't gonna be stupid and try stabbing me or something.

The speaker raises the trumpet quickly this time, your questions apparently requiring little thought. He will be frank, he declares, and not waste either of your respective times with half-truths or unnecessary diplomacy.

First of all, your safety will not be guaranteed, as this is not within his power to do. Your fate will be decided by the gathering of speakers - he can guarantee reasonable safety until that judgment if you cooperate.

Secondly, everyone within this castle who represents the old state must be purged. This includes all the participants in the past months of the siege, but exempts potential non-humans such as you. To fail to purge the populace is to fail the very purpose of this siege, and is thus a non-negotiable objective.

With this in mind, cooperate or do not. If you do, a fair judgment of your involvement will be rendered upon your return to the capital. If you do not, the shadow of the One will fall upon you.

Hm. You look around. A guard seems to be standing nearby on the battlements, observing your current activities. She seems more perplexed than suspicious, for what it's worth. And remarkably non-aggressive at that. A set of paranoid eyes glint up in a nearby castle tower - the guy you had to pass to get the trumpet, you believe.

"Well, that's polite. Would you talk to your parents like that? Whatever happened to respecting your elders, let alone complete strangers?"
Lesson one - basic manners, free of charge.

[Tower of the Mind: 3]

She's very well-heeled, she'll have you know. It's just that you happen to neither be a stranger nor her elder. She can sense what you are, knowing the signs now as she does, and would very much prefer it if you stayed here no longer.

A small implication peels from your mind. Hm. Is it an exit that you want? Mr. Minstep wants the same thing, you know, though his progress is relatively minimal. Maybe you can get him to help with the siege somehow. Getting out would presumably be trivial if you resolved that.

"Er.  Uh.  Well, yes, the lack of adequate fire exits, insufficient signage, questionable structural integrity; the place was falling apart as we were there!  Ah, yes, here we are."

Loiter.  Listen in.  Might as well stand inside the door.

You peek into the room, and see only the head girl of the minders glaring at Mr. Wilde and pacing around the room nervously. Mr. Wilde's servant companion appears to shy away from her sight behind Mr. Wilde, who also stares vaguely and glassily at the minder. Oddly enough it doesn't look like they're talking to each other.

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 161