Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249670 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: What I Bring Is Light
« Reply #990 on: April 19, 2016, 03:43:56 pm »

"Ah. Do you know of anything which might aid my search; any clues, perhaps? How long hav they been missing? Could I have a description of them?"
Ask pertinent questions concerning the missing person. Always fancied the idea of being a detective.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 19, 2016, 06:22:27 pm »

"Well, I'll get right on that then! Oh, if I remove this mangled hand and get a better one will I lose my weapon?"

Hop down from the roof and glance about to see if that knight lady is around. Maybe she's a master knight?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 19, 2016, 09:39:18 pm »

"Thank you, Well. I will be back."

I leave the well and start making my way up to the top of the walls.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 20, 2016, 12:12:28 am »

"I can assure you that I am not dangerous at all.  I am but a simple salesman, is all.  But I do still wish to return home.  I suppose there is nothing I could do here to expedite this?"

Inquire.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 20, 2016, 10:06:02 am »

Hmm, I think getting onto shore before floating past the town may be good idea. If nothing else, I can chat a bit more with Bruce. And for that end, I unfortunately may have to be less drunk. Not full drunk reboot, put partial.

[Enough Fooling Around: 2]

You sober up. This lets you better appreciate the way you appear to have little to no agency in where the river seems to be carrying you. You try to paddle to the side a little, but the stream is really quite something else. You find yourself liable to just start tumbling in the stream if you do anything other than make yourself as hydrodynamically favorable as possible. Lee, for her part, appears to have learned a similar lesson slightly quicker, which may explain why she's following so close along.

"Ah. Do you know of anything which might aid my search; any clues, perhaps? How long hav they been missing? Could I have a description of them?"
Ask pertinent questions concerning the missing person. Always fancied the idea of being a detective.

[The Inquisition: 3]

He was missing from those in attendance at the stone circle for the last great demonstration yesterday, which was highly irregular for a man of his habits. He was seen shortly before that in this very office, at which point he left, was sighted at the stone circle briefly, then suddenly vanished from the area. At last sighting he was a cheerful, unclothed individual in good health. It is assumed that he has fallen victim to some form of foul play or unusual occurrence. As such, his location and retrieval are of a high priority. He trusts you will devote all of your resources to this task?

The servant girl looks uneasy as the captain explains. She is familiar with the former stable master, you think.

"Well, I'll get right on that then! Oh, if I remove this mangled hand and get a better one will I lose my weapon?"

Hop down from the roof and glance about to see if that knight lady is around. Maybe she's a master knight?

Excellent! And yes! The blacksmith seems particularly sure about that latter bit for some reason. You jump off the roof, fortunately not breaking anything, and cast an eye about for that knight lady. She's not about, however. There's just still some guards on the walls, a few people going back and forth. Ms. Minett also passes you in a swanky new robe.

[Perspectives on Knighthood: 4]

You're not really sure if a master knight is really a thing, though. Isn't a knight a master by default? Not much of a craft, you suppose, unless fighting's something you consider a craft. There's an argument to be made there, of course. Especially given that you're something of a martial artist yourself. And especially given that she didn't seem terribly inclined to assist you when last you spoke. That was a while back though now that you think about it.

"Thank you, Well. I will be back."

I leave the well and start making my way up to the top of the walls.

Climbing out the well, you pass Mr. Daniels and head up to the walls, where you see the visage of the stoatman army. They currently seem to mostly be scurrying around their ramshackle siege camp. There seems to be quite a bit of something going on with that, though from this distance you'll be damned if you can tell what that might be.

[The Anticipation: 1]

A few stoatmen still in relative proximity to the wall eye you carefully before relaying news of your arrival further down the ranks. A unit forms up soon enough and starts to move nearer to the wall, crossbows loaded and at the ready.

"I can assure you that I am not dangerous at all.  I am but a simple salesman, is all.  But I do still wish to return home.  I suppose there is nothing I could do here to expedite this?"

Inquire.

The queen seems only a little reassured. Minders are prone to certain exaggerations, of course, especially junior ones, but they're not really the types to-

[Excellent Purposes: 5]

-well, let her just say they tend to not throw these kinds of things around. Anyway, have you perhaps considered helping in the siege effort? Even if your exit is purely from this vicinity, surely it is a step in the right direction, and therefore a worthy goal? She understands that you might prove unexpectedly good at this task if the girl was in any way correct in her assessment.

The queen is about to continue, but the captain of the royal guard peeks into the room. There have been developments, she says, throwing you a suspicious glance. The queen seems curious, so the captain steps in. She looks at you again, this time with less subtlety. You'd suppose this to be an implied request to leave, though not one that the queen echoes in any particular way.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 20, 2016, 10:21:59 am »

"Eh, fighting's as much a craft as anything else, internal voice of mine. You're just using your own body as the metaphorical canvas on which you paint the forms of combat. A perfectly executed elbow to the sternum is more beautiful than most sculptures. I suppose I could use myself as a master of martial arts, but I'm not quite there yet. Perhaps if I trained with my mind tentacle disciples in my mind temple thing. But I'll save that option for if she refuses to help me."

Hmm. Perhaps she headed into the main castle bit? Maybe the queen or one of the guards would know where she is - go ask the closest guard if they've seen her around.
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 20, 2016, 10:36:44 am »

Excellent, I was looking for a way to test this. I imagine a moat of blazing light between me and the stoats, stopping them from getting any closer. Then I shout "SEA!"

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 20, 2016, 11:08:03 am »

"Of course. I'll see you as soon as I find out anything."
Head out of the office and go down to the stone circle. Ask my companion about the stable-master on the way.
"Well, that's interesting. You wouldn't happen to know this stable-master, by any chance?"
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 20, 2016, 12:30:52 pm »

Head out of the office and go down to the stone circle. Ask my companion about the stable-master on the way.
"Well, that's interesting. You wouldn't happen to know this stable-master, by any chance?"
((Sounds suspiciously like the fellow with possibly blue bottle, who was later eaten by ground if my memory serves me correctly. Good luck.))

This is a bit of problem. Spontaneously learn new ways of swimming in the current. The trick is to not resist but go along with the flow. Or so I did read from those books years ago. Might have been about something else though... I wasn't exactly sober back then either.
If the trick was true, then handle Lee and myself to shore.
Otherwise I suppose it's INEVITABLE to end up on other side of the town. The river does flow part it after all.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 20, 2016, 11:22:43 pm »

((I think it's the guy whose pants Mr. Minstep is wearing, actually.  Oh dear.  At least he was reported seen naked, so the pants are less of an interesting clue.))

"Ah, um, yes, you have business to attend to.  One final question, though; how could I help in this siege?"

Ask, then depart after whatever answer is given.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: April 20, 2016, 11:25:16 pm »

((Both of them got eaten by the ground anyhow, so it's no difference in the end.))
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 21, 2016, 09:15:54 am »

((Sounds like a dead end to me. Probably not worth your time.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 21, 2016, 12:36:42 pm »

"Eh, fighting's as much a craft as anything else, internal voice of mine. You're just using your own body as the metaphorical canvas on which you paint the forms of combat. A perfectly executed elbow to the sternum is more beautiful than most sculptures. I suppose I could use myself as a master of martial arts, but I'm not quite there yet. Perhaps if I trained with my mind tentacle disciples in my mind temple thing. But I'll save that option for if she refuses to help me."

Hmm. Perhaps she headed into the main castle bit? Maybe the queen or one of the guards would know where she is - go ask the closest guard if they've seen her around.

You go over to the door of the castle and ask the guard if she's seen the lady knight with the shiny armor and the shield and sword. The Worm-knight, she asks? You assume that's the one, or at least something close enough. Yes, the Worm-knight.

SEA

[Curious Whereabouts: 6]

She went in, the guard confirms. She's either in her quarters on the second floor or hiding in the walls again. More likely than not that second bit. She likes to hide in the walls an awful lot.

Excellent, I was looking for a way to test this. I imagine a moat of blazing light between me and the stoats, stopping them from getting any closer. Then I shout "SEA!"

The sea has languished beneath the land of Anglefork for long enough. It's time to put it to some good use.

SEA

[Word: 3]

The earth trembles ever so slightly, a bit of the landscape rising almost imperceptibly as the subterranean sea pushes upward, driven by your directive and a desire all its own.

[Thoughts Upon The Ancient Sea: 5]

The earth is thick, so very thick here on the surface. The sea has not touched the sky for so long. You feel its yearning - it has yearned for longer than you can imagine, but never has it broken the earth. A Word is not enough, you feel. It was barely enough to spring a leak in the tomb, after all. You think this particular apocalyptic attempt requires a bit more juice, or perhaps far more conviction.

[A Storm of Bolts: 3 vs. 2]

This and several other things, few of them fit to be spoken in polite company, occur to you as you catch a bolt right in the stomach from a fortunate volley, nearly falling off the wall as your breath is taken away and you begin to bleed all over your nice new robe.

As you exit the captain's office the captain gives you a subtle nod. You wait until you are outside before you turn to your companion and ask more about the stable master.

[Speaking Ill: 6]

She purses her lips at first. Not much of a stable master, really. You ask why that might be, and she poses a counter-question - have you seen any horses still around? These latter days he was mostly a bone carver. A scrimshander, too. And a master of ceremonies at the stone circle, which you approach slowly. It's peaceful at this time of day, though surrounded by an unnerving sense of stillness, and the servant quiets her voice as she speaks here as if afraid to attract attention.

It's here that the ceremonies happened. Each time a similar thing, a living creature destroyed upon a stone. The stone's not there anymore, though. Where could it have- ah, somebody's rolled it to the blacksmith's door? Odd.

Anyway, the man seemed to do nothing but try and appeal to dark powers as far as she can tell. Maybe one of them took an interest.

This is a bit of problem. Spontaneously learn new ways of swimming in the current. The trick is to not resist but go along with the flow. Or so I did read from those books years ago. Might have been about something else though... I wasn't exactly sober back then either.
If the trick was true, then handle Lee and myself to shore.
Otherwise I suppose it's INEVITABLE to end up on other side of the town. The river does flow part it after all.

A noble plan. It also happens to be exactly what you're doing right now. The flow seems very much willing to keep you in the middle of the river for now. So you move on to Plan B. Also known as Plan

INEVITABLE

[Word: 5]

It's elementary, you decide. You grab Lee's hand and you both submerge.

An indeterminate amount of time later you surface, the town of Anglefork right behind you, a waterfall in the far distance ahead. Lee seems very perplexed by this obvious devilry, though not in a terribly good position to do much about it presently.

That being said, the properties of the river have not changed very noticeably here, the waters still roaring around you as they pull you onward toward what looks like something of a precipice ahead.

"Ah, um, yes, you have business to attend to.  One final question, though; how could I help in this siege?"

Ask, then depart after whatever answer is given.

The queen looks your way and considers the options. Have you, er, perhaps tried to engage the stoatmen? From atop the walls, for instance? She understands that you may have talents useful in that regard. Other than that, have you considered asking the guards? They'd no doubt appreciate a little bit of legwork done, she says and looks at the royal guard captain, who offers a thin smile in return.

That being said, you head out. You're not really the man-the-walls type, clearly. But do you have many other options?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 21, 2016, 01:55:35 pm »

Waterfall? It seems the "plan inevitable" should include word "death". So... uh, going with the flow doesn't work very favourably. It may be better to fight the river and get to the shore. Unleash the dolphin. The sober dolphin this time. Don't forget Lee.
Of course, the plan INEVITABLE failure success is still there in case my inner dolphin fails to manifest.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 21, 2016, 03:46:30 pm »

"Huh. She hide in the walls in any particular spot, or just everywhere kinda?"

I heard that. Once I've got my answer from the guard, go make my way towards where that Word came from.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 161