Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249666 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: What I Bring Is Light
« Reply #1005 on: April 21, 2016, 04:01:50 pm »

Talent?  Sales have already failed, and it's probably not likely they want to insure their tents.  A strange itch came back at the corner of his hearing, but it is ignored.

Perhaps the guards know something.

Find a likely guard.  Inquire what can be done about the siege.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 21, 2016, 04:04:07 pm »

"Ah. Dark Powers. Right. Have there been any other occasions where they've taken an interest, then?"
Take a closer look at the stone circle whilst expressing skepticism about these dark powers. 100% foolproof way of seeing if they exist, right?

((Sounds like a dead end to me. Probably not worth your time.))
((Looks like it:)))
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 21, 2016, 05:04:18 pm »

Maybe I need something smaller and more focused to start with. I imagine a spring of sorts, a trickle of bright nothingness pushing its way up through the cracks of the earth and bubbling to the surface directly in the middle of the stoat squad. Then I shout "SEA!" and duck in case there's any return fire.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 22, 2016, 05:01:52 am »

Waterfall? It seems the "plan inevitable" should include word "death". So... uh, going with the flow doesn't work very favourably. It may be better to fight the river and get to the shore. Unleash the dolphin. The sober dolphin this time. Don't forget Lee.
Of course, the plan INEVITABLE failure success is still there in case my inner dolphin fails to manifest.

Well, most waterfalls aren't exactly terribly tall. So perhaps not death. But terrible discomfort at the very least, especially given the forcefulness of this stream.

[Unleash the Dolphin: 1]

You orient yourself into something like a position fit for swimming laterally. This results in you starting to tumble along the river, as predicted. Lee does not quite follow your lead as soon as she sees what's happening, though she does nearly trip over you as she swims past.

[Call of the Deep: 4]

Fortunately, you don't quite start to drown yet. Nevertheless, you have a bad feeling about this. Maybe probability needs a bit of a nudge.

INEVITABLE

[Word: 3]

All you need to do to maximize your safety, you realize, is to reassume the stable position, which you manage with quite a lot of entirely abstracted trial and error. The waterfall, you realize, isn't terribly tall. Four meters or so, with an equivalent depth of water beneath it. Through several attempts you manage a dive that does not injure you in any particular way, and then from that you extrapolate a few realities where Lee doesn't break her skull on anything either. Satisfied with this result, you continue to flow along.

[Sinister Geography: 5]

The river widens a little at this point, the stream growing calmer and more manageable, the water becoming shallower. This proves an adequate opening for you to finally swim ashore, followed relatively closely by Lee. You take momentary solace in the fact that she is just as cold, wet and miserable as you, if perhaps less beaten and bruised. As she shakes some of the water off her dress, she gives you a very suspicious look.

"Huh. She hide in the walls in any particular spot, or just everywhere kinda?"

I heard that. Once I've got my answer from the guard, go make my way towards where that Word came from.

There are a lot of walls to hide in, the guard elaborates. This place has been around for quite a while. It's a wonder there's any room for masonry with all the secret passages around. Like living in a slab of cheese sometimes. You nod at this answer, then look back at the walls. Seems like the Word came from there. And there do seem to be some bolts raining down presently. You figure you'll go take a look.

SEA

There it goes again. You walk up to the battlements between volleys of incoming bolts, and find the exquisitely robed Ms. Minett ducked behind a parapet, pondering her tactical options. A volley of suppressing fire from a platoon of crossbowstoats impresses upon you the wisdom of getting into cover yourself. She doesn't seem to be doing terribly well, whatever it is she's trying to do.

Talent?  Sales have already failed, and it's probably not likely they want to insure their tents.  A strange itch came back at the corner of his hearing, but it is ignored.

Perhaps the guards know something.

Find a likely guard.  Inquire what can be done about the siege.

[A Likely Guard: 6]

Walking through the hallways you find a patrolling guard who entertains your question with a thoughtful smile. What could you do? Indeed, what could anyone?

Truthfully, breaking the siege is an unlikely prospect. But the stoatmen have taken considerable losses over the past two days. The Child of the Sun and Moon did quite a bit of damage to their ranks with his strange sorceries, but he seems to have disappeared somewhere. Curious, that.

Perhaps, she posits, the stoatmen are not as terrible an adversary as reports would indicate. They are, after all, an assemblage of manic peasants with stolen weapons and armor. And if the holding pattern and their seeming lack of siege expertise is any indication, perhaps the current nine-to-one numbers advantage they have is not as decisive as one would imagine, especially given the destruction wrought upon their ranks. The encirclement really poses the most trouble, as does the... unfortunate shortage of horses, as it were. A unit of cavalry could likely make short work of most of these stoats in their current state of organization, yes.

You consider asking where you might fit into all this, but the guard pays you no mind, continuing to consider tactical scenarios with a gleam in her eye.

"Ah. Dark Powers. Right. Have there been any other occasions where they've taken an interest, then?"
Take a closer look at the stone circle whilst expressing skepticism about these dark powers. 100% foolproof way of seeing if they exist, right?

Plenty, actually. You didn't see that bit where this man just up and ate a stoatman right here at the stone circle? Had an extra mouth on his belly and everything. This isn't exactly conjecture she's dealing with here, you know. Anglefork's bloated with nightmares from top to bottom. That's why Rule One exists.

SEA

The circle, meanwhile, looks quite mundane as far as you can tell. Has a certain savage aesthetic, granted, intimidating in a sort of primitive way. It feels ruined in some strange way, as if there was something more here once. You suppose that might have something to do with the way somebody stole its sacrificial slab.

Maybe I need something smaller and more focused to start with. I imagine a spring of sorts, a trickle of bright nothingness pushing its way up through the cracks of the earth and bubbling to the surface directly in the middle of the stoat squad. Then I shout "SEA!" and duck in case there's any return fire.

You peek out from cover and point at a particular mound of earth in the forming fault line, trying once more to coax out the ancient sea.

SEA

[Word: 3]

You're fairly sure something happens. You don't really stay uncovered long enough to find out what exactly. You hear a few shouts from the stoat lines. No screams of pain or death or anything, so you assume that while this is likely a step in the right direction, it's not quite the effect you were looking for.

Your shouting meanwhile seems to have attracted the attention of a very naked Mr. Daniels who takes up position behind the parapet next to yours, examining you thoughtfully. His eyes feel like a dozen scalpels running over your skin.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 22, 2016, 07:23:54 am »

I look at Mr. Daniels anxiously. "Oh! Hey, just trying to uh, stir up some more defenses over here. Seems like I'm not as good at it as that guy with all the fire."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:32:48 am by penguinofhonor »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 22, 2016, 09:55:34 am »

"Ha ha, that was quite adventure, don't you agree!" Leif laughs. "Haven't swum down waterfall since... well, never. Very refreshing experience I must say! Now then, we don't have any stoats around bothering us so I guess we can have a breather. Where you wanna go now?"

Give the dagger back and get to know Lee better. Check out if there's something I can make burn or use to warm up. Almost makes me wish I could have SUN.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 22, 2016, 01:07:23 pm »

"Oh, yes. Him. I really must ask him about that at some point. Or stay as far away from him as possible, I'm not sure which, yet. But did you hear that? Sea, it sounded like."
Did anyone else hear that?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 22, 2016, 01:16:21 pm »

"Heya there. Just heard you using a magic word and came to see what all the commotion was about. Defences, you say? What's it do, if you don't mind me asking?"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 22, 2016, 02:37:12 pm »

"Well it messes with the sea, but that's less straightforward around here." I pull neck of my robe down to show Mr Daniels the bubbling scar on my back. "Kind of a dangerous force, but what isn't? I'm trying to make a moat."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 02:40:49 pm by penguinofhonor »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 22, 2016, 03:20:11 pm »

"I'll take your word about it being dangerous, but why a moat? This is a siege, the problem is that the people in the castle can't get out of it, not that the stoats are about to get in.

Also why the sea? It doesn't seem to be anywhere near here, unless by sea you're for some reason referring to some horrible physics-breaking abomination thing that happens to be referred to as a sea. What with all the stuff apparently squirrelled away in Anglefork I wouldn't be surprised."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 03:24:42 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 22, 2016, 04:41:38 pm »

"You know," I say, pulling the bolt out of my chest, "they're still close enough to do a good bit of harm. Can't hurt to keep them a little further. As for where the sea is, it's under us, of course."

After we finish speaking for the time being, I jump back up and focus on the same spot as before, then shout "SEA!"
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:14:46 pm by penguinofhonor »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 22, 2016, 09:22:17 pm »

"I'd more question how we get over the moat you make when we want to leave. And that's not the sea, that's an aquifer."

Observe the effects of the word. If nothing interesting happens, bid my farewell, make my way down to the nearest castle wall, and open a hole in it. Call out for the worm-knight. If something interesting does happen, admire it, unless it looks like it's gonna hurt me in which case vacate the premises.
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 22, 2016, 11:25:54 pm »

"Yes, that's well and- yes, okay, but what can I do?  Hello?"

Attempt to get word in edgewise.  Listen regardless.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: April 23, 2016, 03:27:21 am »

"Ha ha, that was quite adventure, don't you agree!" Leif laughs. "Haven't swum down waterfall since... well, never. Very refreshing experience I must say! Now then, we don't have any stoats around bothering us so I guess we can have a breather. Where you wanna go now?"

Give the dagger back and get to know Lee better. Check out if there's something I can make burn or use to warm up. Almost makes me wish I could have SUN.

She takes the dagger, secreting it away in her dress with a practiced motion. She seems altogether less amused by this than you are as she looks toward Anglefork Town. She needs to go upriver. Back to the clan. Maybe after she dries off, she says and tries to shake off more of the water.

[Building A Fire: 1]

You can help with that, you say, and run off into the woods, returning some time later with some interesting-looking damp twigs. This one's got a very interesting color of mold on it, for instance. And that one looks like a person under the right light. You also get a fistful of wet moss and six delicious-looking berries the size of tomatoes. You figure these will come in handy for something.

Lee seems less than impressed with your finds, having wrung as much water out of her clothes as she could in your absence. Currently she's atop one of the taller trees in the area, casting a careful eye on her surroundings.

"Oh, yes. Him. I really must ask him about that at some point. Or stay as far away from him as possible, I'm not sure which, yet. But did you hear that? Sea, it sounded like."
Did anyone else hear that?

Your companion looks at the walls. She... did hear that, yes. And isn't that the stoatman-eater himself up there, next to that robed person? Speak of the devil, eh?

SEA

Yes, it does seem to be coming from the walls, you think.

"You know," I say, pulling the bolt out of my chest, "they're still close enough to do a good bit of harm. Can't hurt to keep them a little further. As for where the sea is, it's under us, of course."

After we finish speaking for the time being, I jump back up and focus on the same spot as before, then shout "SEA!"

Nothing like a lovely chat in the middle of a combat situation. You rise up and point at a likely-looking, pulsing mound of earth.

SEA

[Word: 1]

The mound surges upward a little, a subterranean wave visibly impacting the surface of the earth. It flows closer, moving like some form of worm beneath the earth. The earth begins to thump regularly, the mound inching closer to the walls as some force starts to seemingly very deliberately push in your direction.

[Rain of Bolts: 4 vs. 2]

Your contemplation is interrupted when yet another bolt flies into your cheek, your mouth beginning to fill with blood as teeth are dislodged and your tongue is sliced into by the impact. You duck back down, pulling out the bolt as you spit out any loosened components onto the battlements.

"I'd more question how we get over the moat you make when we want to leave. And that's not the sea, that's an aquifer."

Observe the effects of the word. If nothing interesting happens, bid my farewell, make my way down to the nearest castle wall, and open a hole in it. Call out for the worm-knight. If something interesting does happen, admire it, unless it looks like it's gonna hurt me in which case vacate the premises.

SEA

Well, you'd say that a sandworm-like silhouette on the ground is fairly interesting, at least. And perhaps not immediately harmful, though you can't say you liked the sound of that last Word.

[Rain of Bolts: 1 vs. 5]

You duck back behind the parapet after a moment's consideration, another volley of bolts flying over you as the stoatmen try to repel this foul sorcery the only way they know how. Ms. Minett, you notice, is unfortunately a little slower to get into cover.

"Yes, that's well and- yes, okay, but what can I do?  Hello?"

Attempt to get word in edgewise.  Listen regardless.

The trouble is, the guard tells nobody in particular at this point, that there really is very little information. They tend to not leave many survivors, these stoatmen. So good intelligence is hard to come by, particularly during a siege. For instance, why they don't seem particularly interested in building and using siege equipment, or what's happening in Anglefork Town. These mysteries are likely the most infuriating part of the whole thing.

[Presence of Mind: 2]

She continues into a recounting of the crown's engagements with the stoatman army. Each of the ones that doesn't have an overwhelming numbers advantage has absolutely no information about its resolution available, except a complete lack of survivors on the crown's side. All of this is old information, of course, but it is certainly information that she has devoted much thought to. She genuinely seems unaware that you're still here at this point.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: April 23, 2016, 04:11:14 am »

"Your clan, eh? Where they can be found then? Might as well pay a visit while we are on the road."

Eat the berries. Listen what wind is whispering? Where's the next adventure?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 161