Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249686 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: A Screaming Death
« Reply #1080 on: May 27, 2016, 05:48:08 am »

I try to interject myself into this conversation. "Excuse me, I thought we nearly had a deal worked out. If you're busy I can take my goods elsewhere."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:50:06 am by penguinofhonor »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 27, 2016, 09:51:01 am »

Always something causing the screaming...
Watch what happens next.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 27, 2016, 03:59:24 pm »

Engage populace. If they are stoats, as most likely is the case, they will make excellent test subject for my theory of minding. Taking it step further, supress their conscious nerve feedback and redirect it into mind. Perhaps this is the way of bringing people into my mental world? Perfect for interrogation?

Or that's I would like to do when shit inevitably goes south. For now, follow Stan Lee's instructions/example.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 27, 2016, 05:44:23 pm »

"Wouldn't it be fair to let me get up first?  Seems silly to hit a man while he is down."

Miss the point.  Maybe get up and have another go?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 28, 2016, 05:45:01 am »

"You really want to do this? People get hurt in combat. And I'd rather not take your arm or something."

Give Wormy a chance to relent. The moment she disregards this and attacks again, break her sword and then her knees.

[Speak Truth To Impotence: 6]

The fact that you have a very good point, demonstrated through foul magic as well as by an unassailable self-confidence, injures her substantially more than your previous demonstration, you feel. She stands up straight, regaining a slight amount of her previous composure, trying her best to ignore the considerable amount of blood accumulating under her armor. Taking a step away from the doorway she nods toward it in disdain.

You may go, she says. For now. You resist the powerful urge to roll your eyes before you become aware of a strange itch in the back of your skull. You scratch your head a little, but it only seems to make it worse.

I try to interject myself into this conversation. "Excuse me, I thought we nearly had a deal worked out. If you're busy I can take my goods elsewhere."

[Artful Interjection: 2]

The mason shoots a nasty look at you. He'll deal with you in a minute, just let him sort this out. He turns to the blacksmith and shakes him violently again. He's giving him one last chance to explain what the bloody hell he's doing talking to his brother like that, and then he'll have to get a little firmer in his questioning, he says.

The blacksmith nods slowly, and responds with a knee to the large man's diaphragm. The mason stumbles back as he starts to choke, the blacksmith landing in the beginnings of a stride toward him. His hands close around the mason's neck, gripping it firmly and particularly, constricting nerves and blood vessels, the choking and surprise preventing the large man from effectively fighting off the young and seemingly quite murderous blacksmith. The smaller mason looks on in shock at this, while the dull-faced one looks at the floor with obvious concern, though seemingly not for his brother.

You get an itch. It feels like it's coming from the inside of your head. You feel a slight urge to go elsewhere.

Always something causing the screaming...
Watch what happens next.

The gray figure proceeds toward the beast at an unhurried pace. The beast seems only a little more enthusiastic. Do you perceive hesitation in its movements? The figure opens a mouth from which no light can escape. It raises its voice.

INVITE FLESH

[Words: 2+4]

The words carry very clearly at this distance. Within you a desire for homecoming starts to burn.

[Recognize the Invader: 1]

You gleefully throw yourself off the battlements toward the figure as a yearning overtakes you for a vulnerable moment. A burst of disgust and alienation hits you before the ground does.

[A Precipitous Drop: 2]

Not that the former helps with the latter. You start to get to your feet again, looking back on the walls. Guards, seemingly possessed of more wisdom than you, appear to be scurrying out the towers and off the battlements in force, trying to get to better cover. One jumps off the wall after you, failing to survive the fall. Another is tackled by your companion, impressively haunted by the sound. You get a very bad feeling as you look behind you.

The figure stands there, and from its chest kicks the beast, flesh being torn from its bones, blood absorbed into gray. Its howls sound increasingly desperate as it inches into the being of the gray creature.

[Assimilation: 3 vs. 6]

It fights and thrashes, not yet consumed in full. There is little it can do, you think, but delay its ultimate fate.

Engage populace. If they are stoats, as most likely is the case, they will make excellent test subject for my theory of minding. Taking it step further, supress their conscious nerve feedback and redirect it into mind. Perhaps this is the way of bringing people into my mental world? Perfect for interrogation?

Or that's I would like to do when shit inevitably goes south. For now, follow Stan Lee's instructions/example.

Lee seems to prefer that you do your own thing first, being that you appear to speak their language fluently, and follows behind as you wander into the riverside streets of Anglefork Town, looking for a likely victim for your attempts at psionic mastery.

[No Shortage of Fools: 4]

An impassive-looking stoatman looks surprised to see you as you intercept it along its late afternoon business. What ho, fine fellow, you say in a failed attempt to not seem awkward and out of place, how's the town life?

You're... not supposed to be out, the stoatman begins to say. Nonsense, you reply. You're perfectly authorized to be here. There's social experiments to conduct.

[Journey to the Center of the Mind: 1]

You're not entirely sure what you do next, feeling like some of your best work is found in improvisation. But you do find yourself standing in a place of shapeless green and gray, half-formed images of trees, doors, places, stoatmen and even a rather immaculately dressed woman forming and reforming all around you.

The stoatman you asked a question of stands before you, looking very intimidated all of sudden. Lightning flashes in the distance. The ground shakes. Darkness begins to encroach. Fear, you suspect. It is the mind-killer, after all.

"Wouldn't it be fair to let me get up first?  Seems silly to hit a man while he is down."

Miss the point.  Maybe get up and have another go?

It would be fair, she says. But this is fighting, not dueling. If you can bring someone down, you do your best to finish them.

[Unclean Fighting: 2 vs. 1+1]

You scurry away from her continued strikes, utilizing all four of your limbs and putting your back into a very improvised roll that somehow manages to take you back to your feet. The guard looks on in what you think is amusement, your interesting maneuvers letting curiosity overtake a certain lust for payback. You almost begin to capitalize on this, but she sharpens up right as you begin to go on the offensive again. Little progress is made as a...

... huh. Did you just hear something? And what's that infernal itch in your scalp? You look at the guard. She seems to have felt something as well. She looks at the wall behind you, and you check that way also. Some of the guards appear to be vacating their posts with haste. Wonder what that's about.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: May 28, 2016, 06:00:20 am »

You know, this doesn't really seem like it's my business. I duck out the door and see if anything interesting is going on outside.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 28, 2016, 06:32:27 am »

"Christ almighty, what is that thing? Come to think of it, a REVELATION into the matter could be vital, if this word works like that. And then I should run."
Curiosity killed the cat.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 28, 2016, 10:56:04 am »

"I gotta say, your mind is rather dull. Now, let's begin. Tell me everything you know about happenings in the town! What happened to human inhabitants? Where they are? Who is this woman? How many stoats are here? Where's One? How's Vali? Seen any traitors lately?"

Interrogation in mind of stoat is a go. Act confidently. Theory is that he will think things he hears of and answers are painted on the landscape. So observe surroundings and listen his words. Or that what they always said movies. There's hoping it works here too.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: May 28, 2016, 12:12:00 pm »

"What the fuck was that. You feel that itching? What was that?
Some motherfucker's using a word on me again, aren't they. Well ha ha, assholes, I've got a counter for that!"

SILENCE this infernal sorcery's effects on me.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: May 30, 2016, 03:43:06 am »

You know, this doesn't really seem like it's my business. I duck out the door and see if anything interesting is going on outside.

You leave the fellows to it and get far enough outside for the choking noises to not bother you anymore, at which point you check about for signs of interesting activity.

[Piecing It Together: 2]

You don't see anything terribly abnormal. Some guards are pacing about. People looking nervous. Everybody conscious of their own impending deaths. Things are pretty regular in Anglefork Castle near as you can tell.

"Christ almighty, what is that thing? Come to think of it, a REVELATION into the matter could be vital, if this word works like that. And then I should run."
Curiosity killed the cat.

Your eyes don't open far enough, and your mind is ill-equipped to see. Both require expansion.

REVELATION

[Word: 1]

The fabric of space and time parts before you, revealing an endless sea of gray before your eyes, a mass of colorless outstretched hands and pleading many-toothed mouths. Their cries blend into an oceanic din, and as your understanding expands, you feel the sea in its totality. Unseen energies ravage their bodies, tear at their bones, unravel their flesh until all things become as one. The waves of the assimilated flesh move chaotically, crashing against each other - from the impact rise tall, glowing towers sprouting eyes and mouths of their own, forming cities of strange complexity as cataclysmic confluences cascade in several areas at once. You begin to know more and understand less.

You are of a different flesh, you hear in your own voice from the depths of the sea. You feel it is time to leave and turn away, but the sea still stretches in front of you, seemingly nestled in your eyes (behind your eyes?) rather than in something as quaint as a region of space.

Yes, you are of a different flesh, you hear again. A unique assemblage of material. Strangely marked. You feel a gaze travel over your very being.

Why, you are indeed of a different flesh. You do not belong in this scenario. What are you doing here? You feel a hand grip your shoulder with machine-like cold firmness, shivers from its touch followed by rebellious itching and twitching.

"I gotta say, your mind is rather dull. Now, let's begin. Tell me everything you know about happenings in the town! What happened to human inhabitants? Where they are? Who is this woman? How many stoats are here? Where's One? How's Vali? Seen any traitors lately?"

Interrogation in mind of stoat is a go. Act confidently. Theory is that he will think things he hears of and answers are painted on the landscape. So observe surroundings and listen his words. Or that what they always said movies. There's hoping it works here too.

[I Just Work Here: 2]

What? Who? Where? Wait, how? No, seriously, what? What is this? And why?

The darkness deepens around the area. He understands little of what you're asking him, really. Or what's even happening presently. You notice, however, a certain lack of innate hostility, a novel thing among the stoatmen you've seen thus far. You look at his subconscious thoughts surfacing along the edges of the landscape. Humans get the most legible response, scattered figures behind windows being your answer, and Vali conjures the half-formed image of a whale for whatever reason. This lightning round of an interrogation certainly isn't off to a promising start, you feel.

"What the fuck was that. You feel that itching? What was that?
Some motherfucker's using a word on me again, aren't they. Well ha ha, assholes, I've got a counter for that!"

SILENCE this infernal sorcery's effects on me.

The Worm-knight is bewildered at your question, cautiously inclining her head as she edges along the wall. She's of as much help as you'd expect. You need to take care of this yourself.

SILENCE

[Word: 5]

Ah, there you go. The itching subsides immediately and you breathe a sigh of relief. A delightful sense of lonely quiet surrounds the shrine, giving it a newfound air of respectability and holiness. You let it hang for a moment to properly sink in. A certain untapped purity about it occurs to you. If ever there was a time to address the gods, you feel you'll have few better chances of being actually heard.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: May 30, 2016, 05:59:29 am »

So the masons were less cooperative than I expected. Maybe there are some other potential volunteers around here. I ask anyone I see standing around outside if they'd be interested in potentially leaving the castle via carpentry.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:07:56 am by penguinofhonor »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 30, 2016, 12:51:50 pm »

"That depends on what you mean by 'here'. If you're referring to this dreamscape, it was revealed by a Word, although the mechanism remains unknown to me. Otherwise, the prevailing view is that I was created, by minders apparently, though I still have some doubts about that theory. But what about yourself - what are you doing here?"
Might as well turn back around and look at this thing, whilst trying to remain as calm as possible.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: May 30, 2016, 03:15:35 pm »

Hmm, see if I can mind myself look alike Knight of One in this very avarage mind. Or whoever was that very authoratively guy I had a nice long chat with.

"I'm the one asking questions here, bro. Just focus on answering. So let's slow down and try again. What happened in Anglefork Town after your arrival? What was done to the humans who lived here?"

Encourage obedience.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 30, 2016, 10:32:03 pm »

((Sorry; busy weekend, what with moving))

"Ah, uh, perhaps we should check that out?  It's what us guards do, ha ha!"

Go check it out.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 30, 2016, 11:16:58 pm »

"...hmm. Gods of this shrine! Or singular god perhaps. This moment seems to be a rare instance of perfection in this imperfect world. Would you grant me a sliver of it, that I may pass on to someone else? Just a moment is all I require."

Is this how you ask gods for things? Imma do it anyway.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 161