Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249673 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Destiny At The Gates
« Reply #1155 on: June 13, 2016, 05:49:00 pm »

After a rather long period of time thinking his questions over, Daniels speaks.

"I will ask my questions first, since the answers may change my desired fulfillment.

1. How may I obtain the ability to absorb connections and sources like you do, and what would be the effects on my being from undertaking such an action?

2. What is a method to nullify all reality warping directed against myself by others that is not a word? If such a thing only exists as a word, what word is it?

3. You uncoupled my strength. What other things could you uncouple from me, and what would the effects of each be?

4. Is there a way for me to alter my physical form in the sense of growing additional limbs and such? Where, if anywhere, could I obtain this ability without using a desire?"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: June 14, 2016, 01:16:03 am »

Thomas continued to be impressed at the effects here.  He hadn't a clue how that one was done.  Must be a mirror.

"I must say, the special effects here are quite amazing!  I suppose you wish to continue?  You look ready.  Still."

Sea what can be done with this new sword?  Water we waiting for?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: June 14, 2016, 02:53:38 am »

"Stop right there, criminal scum! You violated my mother!" Leif shouts after the guard. Where's that line from? Definitely heard it somewhere before...

Let's try that sense robbing technique aqain, this time more easily observed target: the guard. Rob his senses from his legs. And then rob his spear and run after Lee.

The pursuing stoatman immediately turns around as you shout in her direction, evidently surprised. Surprise is a fine emotion. Very mutable.

[Tricks of the Mind: 1]

She looks at you for a few moments as something perceptibly changes in her eyes. You start running in her direction, then abruptly stop. Neither of these, you note, seem to be happening of your own volition.

Well. At least this is a slightly different category of messing up. And she does seem really confused at what's happening.

"Like you weren't already going to attack me."

I try to disrupt whatever it's about to do with a well-timed "CHAOS!"

One is offended at this implication. This is supposed to be a duel, after all. But if you'd like to interfere directly, one would like to cordially

INVITE CHAOS

[Words: 5+1]

Your Word meets one's own, and together they blend into a most wonderful sound. A storm begins to rise. The yard starts to shake violently. The laws of physics consider taking a holiday. One looks a little surprised. A well-chosen Word, one's look seems to also indicate.

[Standing Firm: 4]

The wind turns murderous, dust rises from the trampled ground. You duck down to minimize your profile and brace yourself as the gale starts and the ground trembles. You are pulled this way and that, but do not budge as you consider your next move.

"Ah. I think the likelihood of that was lower than it may have seemed. Certainly lower than it is now."

Sit down and relax a bit whilst watching, I could do with a rest.

You sit down as you resolve to not contribute to this silliness in any particular way, propping yourself up against a wall as you try to relax with the comforting sight of mortal combat. That is, until some choice Words start getting thrown around.

INVITE CHAOS

The courtyard starts to shake, and everything starts to bend in ways you would not expect.

[Resting Firm: 3]

The wall you're up against slaps you away and onto the ground. The ground tries to pass you on. You tumble along the dust and occasional mud, the ground feeling selectively liquid as you do so. This is not restful! This is not restful at all!

After a rather long period of time thinking his questions over, Daniels speaks.

"I will ask my questions first, since the answers may change my desired fulfillment.

1. How may I obtain the ability to absorb connections and sources like you do, and what would be the effects on my being from undertaking such an action?

2. What is a method to nullify all reality warping directed against myself by others that is not a word? If such a thing only exists as a word, what word is it?

3. You uncoupled my strength. What other things could you uncouple from me, and what would the effects of each be?

4. Is there a way for me to alter my physical form in the sense of growing additional limbs and such? Where, if anywhere, could I obtain this ability without using a desire?"

It is good practice to consider questions carefully. Of these four, two of the superior ones will be answered. Repeat the other two if those are your final questions.

Firstly, a desire to absorb connections and sources may be fulfilled with some adjustments. You already possess much of the needed functionality (see: societal probing, template utility, mental encompassing). They would be of little use to you on their own, given that the interest of the well is largely academical (see: mission statement, emotional deconstruction, effective analysis), but with additional practice and refinement you could almost certainly learn to deploy or even transpose these connections and sources as the situation demands (see: social engineering, connection transplant, source insertion). And before you master this functionality, the absorption of connections and sources would allow you to more efficiently deliver them to well access points, although doing so will likely require effort (see: alignment of reaction, emotive surround, other isolation techniques) as well as permit you to be given more specific and potentially more rewarding instructions on future subjects.

Secondly, uncoupling demands explanation. Your substrate is extremely versatile and largely unbound by what tends to be expected of regular matter (see: substrate, freedom from shapes, robust design). Because of this it is unsuitable on its own as a probe into this world (see policy of minimal interference, universal fragility, programming failures). With the addition of a template the substrate is limited and placed within parameters roughly similar to that of this world's own inhabitants, with additional selected favorable qualities (see: unfamiliarity, differing expectations, desire for engagement). Uncoupling removes these parameters. It can be done sparingly to reasonably increase your overall ability to navigate obstacles (such as uncoupling your heat output, density, volume, center of mass, height, width, muscle strength or similar parameters, which would allow you to manipulate these parameters far beyond usual likelihood), but to overuse uncoupling would defeat your purpose as a useful research tool. As such you will need to make increasingly compelling arguments in order to receive more uncoupling than you already possess (see compelling appeals, mission objectives, subtle usefulness).

Thomas continued to be impressed at the effects here.  He hadn't a clue how that one was done.  Must be a mirror.

"I must say, the special effects here are quite amazing!  I suppose you wish to continue?  You look ready.  Still."

Sea what can be done with this new sword?  Water we waiting for?

One is of the opinion that you haven't seen anything yet. Observe!

INVITE CHAOS

There is a dull roar as the courtyard comes alive, twisting and bending and howling, the ground heaving in great waves as the buildings begin to dance discordantly and the wind pushes in great chaotic gusts. A storm rises!

[Fighting Firm: 2]

Well, you say as you find yourself tossed to and fro, this really is quite impressive! Is this going to go on for long, though?

[Flitting Firm: 4]

Probably for a while, one replies as one slides closer to you, minimally perturbed by these drastic upheavals in the landscape.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: June 14, 2016, 06:04:51 am »

I lob an explosive cyst at the gray stoat. Maybe it's easier to blow up than cut.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: June 14, 2016, 12:04:05 pm »

Oh shit... I have totally wrong approach on these things.
"You have violated me! Violate my father too while you are at it! The old bastard deserves it!"

Uh, reverse? Undo? Then proceed with original plan of geting the hell out of dodge before anyone else comes along.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: June 14, 2016, 02:22:32 pm »

Brilliant. Whoever would have thought a childish spat with wooden swords would have ended up this dangerous?
Get up and run or crawl to the nearest bit of cover from the chaos. Or at least the winds.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: June 14, 2016, 04:21:46 pm »

My, these are quite amazing effects, really!

Let's stay defensive while we conquer whatever they've done to shake the arena floor.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: June 15, 2016, 04:03:08 pm »

I lob an explosive cyst at the gray stoat. Maybe it's easier to blow up than cut.

[Bombs Away: 5 vs. 5]

You keep a low profile for a few moments as you generate a cyst on your palm. It shivers with anticipation as you wind up for a good lob and set it loose. It swings this way on the forceful winds, and is pushed that way as well, but it seems on-target for a very-brief moment, only for one to slide out of the way in the very last possible moment.

[Excellent Dodge: 5]

The marvelous explosion you manage to produce with the cyst silhouettes one in a great halo of concussive force, giving its word all that much more punch as one tries to outshout the rising storm.

CLEANSE

[Word: 4]

The word sounds true, though its intent seems to have been misplaced, idea spilling all around as it indecisively shines the surroundings, making the air clearer, calming the winds, slightly decreasing the vibration of the earth as one looks around. You get the sense one expected you to use a Word of your own there. Though the slightly calmer conditions are also appreciated, mind you.

Oh shit... I have totally wrong approach on these things.
"You have violated me! Violate my father too while you are at it! The old bastard deserves it!"

Uh, reverse? Undo? Then proceed with original plan of geting the hell out of dodge before anyone else comes along.

[Let My Poor Limbs Go: 2]

For some reason when you give up agency over your limbs it's rather difficult to get said agency back. You think there is a moral lesson to be learned from this. But until you are in any state to learn it you decide to continue your immediate strategy unabated.

[Brave Strides Against Logic: 5]

Okay, says the guard as you stop in front of her. Just what the hell is going on here and what's your deal, and why is it that she can make you walk toward her? And what's this about violation? No, wait. Important questions first. What? How? And who are you?

You get the sense she is adequately distracted! Also an emotion you can work with!

Brilliant. Whoever would have thought a childish spat with wooden swords would have ended up this dangerous?
Get up and run or crawl to the nearest bit of cover from the chaos. Or at least the winds.

You keep on tumbling on out of immediate sight, which you suppose to be a very good call on your part as Ms. Minett elects to start lobbing explosive cysts around immediately afterwards, which strikes you as a terribly unsafe prospect for your own continued good health.

CLEANSE

One's Word carries well, settling down the dust and the wind somewhat and letting everyone in the courtyard, yourself included, get their bearings and no doubt prepare for the next round of more or less supernatural onslaught in a way that makes you feel slightly left out.

My, these are quite amazing effects, really!

Let's stay defensive while we conquer whatever they've done to shake the arena floor.

You keep your wits about you as you start to regain your footing on the shaking ground, watching one for any signs of impending assault. None come, however, apart from Ms. Minett's nearly on-target grenade throw, which one seems not terribly impressed by as its Word is backed by a powerful explosion occurring behind one.

CLEANSE

Fortunately, this particular instruction simplifies your task quite a bit as after your obligatory attempt to roll away from any explosive danger you get to your feet in an altogether much more stable environment. Right! Now you can get back to this actual dueling business, even if the prospect is seeming decreasingly safe with Ms. Minett's continued, increasingly destructive interference.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: June 15, 2016, 07:03:51 pm »

"Er!  Perhaps you might not want to do that?  Those are very distracting for all involved."

Right, duel on!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: June 16, 2016, 06:37:21 am »

"I'll try something else then." I focus on the stoat and the magic its body is made of - orderly, filling any void, allowing for more control over its movement than physics permits. I should introduce it to some CHAOS.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:39:10 am by penguinofhonor »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: June 16, 2016, 03:08:58 pm »

Stand up and observe the situation - any lingering effects of Chaos, any other innocent bystanders?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: June 16, 2016, 11:31:33 pm »

"Huh. I must say, I didn't expect that. My thoughts certainly have been changed by those answers. Now then, for more. I'll state my desire after you answer these.

3. What is the mission you mentioned - statement, parameters, purpose, etcetera? Was it initiated solely by you, or did the minders of Anglefork have something to do with us being here like I've heard?

4. Where can I find the things (the beauty of the material, a sliver of perfection) the blacksmith needs as inspiration for the armor he's making for me?"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: June 17, 2016, 12:01:37 am »

"By making me walk against my will violates my integrity, and by extension my parents who made me. This means you are an dabbling wizard unaware of her latent powers and unable to fully control them in service of Nine. You told me this tomorrow."

Keep distracting and confusing her.
I'll figure it out eventually. Distractions certainly helps to make her lost track of what belongs to who.
Maybe Lee isn't self-centered bastard and decides to help me out of this.

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Unlocking Potential
« Reply #1168 on: June 17, 2016, 08:46:02 am »

"Er!  Perhaps you might not want to do that?  Those are very distracting for all involved."

Right, duel on!

Getting yourself in proper order once again while watching out for stray explosives (even if Ms. Minett does appear to have reconsidered throwing more), you charge into the stout chap with joyful abandon, prepared to cleave him into submission with great conviction. Having an actual sword is likely to prove quite helpful in this, you're sure.

[Strike Faster Than Words: 2 vs. 4]

Of course, you've barely taken a step before things... well, before things develop, you'll say.

INVITE FLESH CHAOS

[Retaining Purpose: 1]

Everything turns black for a moment. Your mind lets you know that it is experiencing an unfortunate outage of a highly nonspecific sort. It will be back with you shortly. Until that moment, have this lovely smell of fresh-cut flowers to keep you busy.

"I'll try something else then." I focus on the stoat and the magic its body is made of - orderly, filling any void, allowing for more control over its movement than physics permits. I should introduce it to some CHAOS.

You turn to the demon, the kernel of the Word awaiting its use. You let it bubble up, and it comes simultaneously with one's own barrage of high sorcery.

INVITE FLESH CHAOS

[Words: 6+5+1]

There is silence for a few moments as four individuals - you, Mr. Minstep, Mr. Wilde and of course oneself - let the Words settle into themselves. There is much order imposed upon your collective flesh. And as all four feel the rumble of it beginning to fully awaken, you suddenly have a keen sense of this order's ultimate fragility.

[Retaining Purpose: 3]

You bubble and explode outward into limbs and teeth and ratlike eyes, blind and consumed by rising horror as you swing hundreds of appendages around the trembling courtyard, trying to find support for yourself in vain as you fly into buildings and tear through the ground like loose sand. You feel like every part of your body is a speeding bullet fired in every possible direction, and you helplessly and shapelessly tumble along the courtyard. If that is even where you are - the only thing you see is a storm of red and black as every part of you makes the effort to sprint however it can. Your thoughts become violently disorganized to reflect this, flashes of violence and momentary recall resulting in you starting to swing wildly with fresh-formed claws at anything within reach.

Stand up and observe the situation - any lingering effects of Chaos, any other innocent bystanders?

No bystanders whatsoever, fortunately enough, but the courtyard is still shaking and mildly undulating, make no mistake. The main difference is, of course, that the chaos is rather manageable for now. And no sooner do you say this than somebody decides to

INVITE FLESH CHAOS

[Retaining Purpose: 1]

Now, you're not quite sure what happens next, but you do believe you are currently unconscious. Perhaps this is for the best, a conciliatory part of you offers nervously.

"Huh. I must say, I didn't expect that. My thoughts certainly have been changed by those answers. Now then, for more. I'll state my desire after you answer these.

3. What is the mission you mentioned - statement, parameters, purpose, etcetera? Was it initiated solely by you, or did the minders of Anglefork have something to do with us being here like I've heard?

4. Where can I find the things (the beauty of the material, a sliver of perfection) the blacksmith needs as inspiration for the armor he's making for me?"

The mission currently is to gather insight into complex systems formed through communication. These are unfortunately fragile and unsuitable for study by the systems already in place (see: gathering material, studying basic principles, applied societal engineering), giving rise to specific requirements for less invasive methods of analysis than employed before. The minders were useful in developing you and your comrades as a tool for gathering necessary information and resources. It was an alignment of agendas, but more in the sense of their notions and desires providing inspiration for a superior idea (see: legendary heroes, infernal bargains, utilizing frameworks). Their main role was in providing material to be transformed into substrate and serving as tools to oversee the shaping through, but ultimately they had little idea of what was being done or why beyond what they projected upon the seemingly unknowable darkness they wished to manipulate (see: applications of minding, working by proxy, problems of interpretation).

As for the sliver of perfection, which is the only thing technically required by the blacksmith to fulfill your request, it is a vague enough requirement that you should have no trouble fulfilling it with a well-placed Word. For instance, perfect silence can be said to have been achieved by your attempts to silence the voice of the gatherer (see: word management strategies, sentence formation, bringing of material). What you seek is most likely otherworldly in nature, and provided it fails to resemble anything mundane and you offer adequate lies about its properties you should be perfectly fine. Of course, whether the blacksmith is likely to still be useful in his previous capacity after he has been influenced by Mr. Wilde (see: disturbing revelations, miracles of science, time-ender tools) is another question. Presumably he can still assist you, but not in the same way as before.

"By making me walk against my will violates my integrity, and by extension my parents who made me. This means you are an dabbling wizard unaware of her latent powers and unable to fully control them in service of Nine. You told me this tomorrow."

Keep distracting and confusing her.
I'll figure it out eventually. Distractions certainly helps to make her lost track of what belongs to who.
Maybe Lee isn't self-centered bastard and decides to help me out of this.

She seems to be very confused and distracted indeed, especially as she checks if what you say is indeed true by making you dance in place. This is rather good, as the sight of Lee's head popping out from behind a street corner lets you know that what you're doing is likely to be somewhat handy.

[Treacherous Underhanded Sneak Attack: 3+1]

As you dance and the guard wonders about what the fact that she is a wizard implies about her continued career prospects, Lee sets all doubt to rest as she creeps up behind her and with a swift motions jabs a knife three to seven times into her kidneys, leading to a rather amazing outpouring of blood as a few arteries are opened up. The guard stumbles forward and past you as she falls to the ground, clutching her spear as she tries to ward off her sudden attacker and yell for help.

Lee turns to you, then to the spear-flailing guard, who seems to be of no present danger apart from in the sense of attracting more guards. She seems to be wondering whether going in for the kill is worthwhile.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Unlocking Potential
« Reply #1169 on: June 17, 2016, 11:36:58 am »

Gray. Stoat. Gray. Stoat.

With however much of my mind I have control over, I try to focus this violence on a specific target.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 161