Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249693 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Knights of the Far Beyond
« Reply #1350 on: July 20, 2016, 12:08:52 pm »

Okay, I feel more optimistic. But maybe I should tackle this with a little preparation.

I grab something nearby to use as a flotation device, then try to swim across the river. Time is of the essence so I don't spend much looking.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:38:30 pm by penguinofhonor »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: July 20, 2016, 02:02:38 pm »

Jack strides up to the captain.

"Strange unnatural hunger, you say? I can answer that question. A woman/demon/whatever like myself, named Minett. Might have a fancy dress, bubbly scar. I wouldn't directly confront her about it, she has some rather dangerous magic at her disposal. Just try and make her feel guilty about it if you do find her, she seems to have held onto her morals remarkably well. Now then, maybe you can help me. There was this guard woman who was organizing some kind of expedition into the village now that all the stoatmen are gone or whatever happened. Can you help me find her?"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: July 21, 2016, 11:19:57 am »

Oh wait, I bet the electric talking sword can fix this.  "One moment, gentlemen; I have a talking sword that I think can settle this for you.  Not violently, of course!"

Let the sword do the talking.  Literally, not figuratively.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: July 22, 2016, 06:40:13 am »

Waiting for tomorrow to come. Or dreaming?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: July 22, 2016, 05:46:58 pm »

"Well, thanks for the effort. I guess I'd better go back and check the seige camp for anything else useful."
Go back outside the castle and see if the stoats had anything I could use.

[Slipping Out: 6]

You head on outside and take a look around the castle island. The guards still seem hard at work looking for food and various other things that vaguely resemble food, with several guards having also arrived on the scene to try and dissuade them from giving the whole game away just yet. It becomes something of a circus as the seemingly quite strangely affected wandering guards and their much more sober friends try to convince each other of the urgency of their respective needs. You pay them little mind, instead going straight for the more densely occupied of the siege camp areas and looking for goodies still unstolen.

[Artifacts of the Gray Purge: 1]

For some reason, though, there isn't much in the way of climbing supplies as far as you can tell. Or, indeed, much of anything useful. Mostly food. A barrel of lard. A box full of salty, unidentified chunks of undoubtedly something. All of these are sampled by your companion, secreted in a pouch along her belt. And though she helps you search, a short bit of investigation reveals to her and you in equal measure that this was probably the wrong place to look, seemingly being the mess hall of sorts.

As you come to this discovery, a sober guard, a man with long black hair and a pencil mustache, comes over and inquires as to why you are looting outside the keep. This is not permitted, he states. Return inside immediately.

Okay, I feel more optimistic. But maybe I should tackle this with a little preparation.

I grab something nearby to use as a flotation device, then try to swim across the river. Time is of the essence so I don't spend much looking.

[The Cream Inevitably Rises: 4]

Well, there is a sizable tree branch nearby, seemingly blown across from a tree that must have exploded on the other side. Not quite balsa wood, but it'll do. You chuck it in the river and dive atop it, figuring you'll at least have something to hang onto this time. And it kind of works, in that you are not dragged under and swept away. That still leaves you with navigating the river itself, however.

[Unleash the Duck: 5]

You are washed downriver a tad as you cross, but not very far, utilizing your branch for stabilization as you put your mammalian instincts to use and tread the waters with resolute and consistent strength. It's not long after that you wind up on the other side, quite safe, sound and also next to what looks like the main road to Anglefork Town.

Jack strides up to the captain.

"Strange unnatural hunger, you say? I can answer that question. A woman/demon/whatever like myself, named Minett. Might have a fancy dress, bubbly scar. I wouldn't directly confront her about it, she has some rather dangerous magic at her disposal. Just try and make her feel guilty about it if you do find her, she seems to have held onto her morals remarkably well. Now then, maybe you can help me. There was this guard woman who was organizing some kind of expedition into the village now that all the stoatmen are gone or whatever happened. Can you help me find her?"

You walk up to the conversing duo and interrupt the report with a helpful bit of information. The guardswoman stops relaying her report as she turns to you, seemingly wondering why you've turned up naked with such relevant facts. That... does sound like someone she's seen, says the guardswoman. She tried to free a stoatman that had survived the upheaval, and it probably got away in the confusion when there was, erm, a clash of interests, so to speak.

Very relevant information, says the captain, giving a glance in your direction, but he would prefer it if the guardswoman were to not suddenly turn away mid-conversation. It's not proper protocol when speaking to a superior officer, and engenders harmful rumors of madness spreading through the ranks. The guardswoman turns toward him in response, directing her attention away from you.

Hm, says the captain. Now, what sounds like someone she's seen? The guardswoman turns her head in your direction confusedly, but is quickly disciplined with a hearty tut-tut, at which point she relays a vague description of Ms. Minett. Good intelligence, the captain remarks. Good intelligence indeed. Now, he tells the guardswoman, continue along with the report, which she does, though at a slower pace now.

Oh wait, I bet the electric talking sword can fix this.  "One moment, gentlemen; I have a talking sword that I think can settle this for you.  Not violently, of course!"

Let the sword do the talking.  Literally, not figuratively.

They don't seem to believe you. Or maybe they have talking spears that have something to add to the discussion. Not as impressive as your sword, of course. You pull it out and display it side-on, letting the full breadth of the blade's special effects sink in on the observers, its neutral grayness the same color and immediately identifiable crispness regardless of the lighting conditions.

[Talk To The Sword: 3]

Their leader starts to shiver. A couple of the others look to her questioningly. She motions for them to prostrate themselves. A few look at the blade for but a few seconds before it seems to convince them to do the same. They all start to collectively mutter and fold in on themselves, trying to make themselves smaller. The Worm-knight looks upon your sword, but does not seem similarly affected. Neither does the guard, for that matter. They both just seem vaguely confused, although the guard wastes no time in suggesting that you should probably move along.

Waiting for tomorrow to come. Or dreaming?

[Echoes of the Reacharound: 3]

You dream of the grave of Red Clouds Parting. It is a place of considerable vagueness, sitting at the foot of a steel spire of uncommon construction, gleaming in the light of the midday sun. You dream of an appointment kept, and inevitability followed through with.

Red Clouds Parting - he died as he lived, chasing impossibility.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: July 22, 2016, 06:26:16 pm »

Was I just ignored? This feels suspiciously like I was just ignored.

"Ahem. I asked a question. Guard woman, organizing a looting thing into the village outside, couldn't have been more than ten minutes ago? Either of you recall?"

Answer my question, peons.
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: July 22, 2016, 07:58:36 pm »

"Uh, yes.  Let's move along."

Move along, nothing to see here.  Probably shouldn't put away the sword just yet.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: July 23, 2016, 05:50:33 am »

Finally, escape! I swear, I'm never getting summoned into a besieged castle again.

I look around for any signs of my stoat friend. Hopefully he didn't get swept too far downriver. Or maybe it'd be good for him to be away from the town and all this conflict.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: July 23, 2016, 01:58:22 pm »

These folks have really funny names.

Retire dreaming into my personal party world. The place needs more party props. Like my viking ancestors and their buddies from Valhalla. Can't get gods in without positive reviews.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: July 24, 2016, 06:34:08 am »

"Oh, no, it's alright, she's with me. Nothing to worry about."
Speak quickly and confidently. If the above is unsatisfactory, bring up the Highest Authority, vital mission regarding safety of entire castle, summoned-champion-of-the-powers-that-be, etcetera.

((Apologies for the delay))
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 24, 2016, 12:54:51 pm »

Was I just ignored? This feels suspiciously like I was just ignored.

"Ahem. I asked a question. Guard woman, organizing a looting thing into the village outside, couldn't have been more than ten minutes ago? Either of you recall?"

Answer my question, peons.

The guardswoman looks your way again. What is she looking at, the guard captain asks, looking in your direction blankly for a second. It is inadvisable to keep breaking eye contact with one's superior during a report. It creates undesirable disingenuous undertones. Especially when an underling stares out into the distance without explicable reason.

The guard looks back. She seems outright disturbed now, though is also quite unwilling to raise much in the way of an issue about it.

"Uh, yes.  Let's move along."

Move along, nothing to see here.  Probably shouldn't put away the sword just yet.

You let your sword point the way as you and your companions head off into a nearby alleyway and after emerging continue your quest for the town hall.

[Clarity of the Coast: 4]

This time you manage to avoid any terrible meetings with yet more unfriendly stout fellows (primarily by virtue of ducking through every available discreet passage between buildings that you can find) and get yourself over to the town hall at last.

It's a rather venerable building, you find, if mildly damaged by fire. A little deserted at this hour, of course, although two stern stout guards flank the large wooden entrance door, and you see the tail end of another two circling around the back of the building. The building itself, three stories tall and not particularly fortified, is mostly dark at this late hour, though you do see a dim light in a second floor window on the west wing. The town around you is largely silent as well as the sun sets, no pedestrians or even too many guards walking around the area.

Finally, escape! I swear, I'm never getting summoned into a besieged castle again.

I look around for any signs of my stoat friend. Hopefully he didn't get swept too far downriver. Or maybe it'd be good for him to be away from the town and all this conflict.

[Look To The Horizon: 6]

It's hard to make anything out that far away, but you do think you see a little antlike dot off in the distance down the river. A fortuitous catch, you'd say, since it does disappear around a river bend no more than a minute later. You wonder if that's your man.

These folks have really funny names.

Retire dreaming into my personal party world. The place needs more party props. Like my viking ancestors and their buddies from Valhalla. Can't get gods in without positive reviews.

What a glorious thing lucid dreaming is. Well, as long as the figments of your imagination don't take on frightening and hostile semblances of alien life, that is.

[Odin's Call: 1]

Which they invariably do, of course. You suspect you may have a touch of frost giant in the extended family tree, truth be told. How else do you explain the eternal day, the neverending snow, the quite unique sight of brothers killing brothers, wives killing husbands, fathers burying their own sons...

Speaking of which, your dad has a plot ready for you. Just lay down in this coffin over here and it'll all be over in... well, let's say a couple hours. He's never been good at recalculating air volumes for respiration.

"Oh, no, it's alright, she's with me. Nothing to worry about."
Speak quickly and confidently. If the above is unsatisfactory, bring up the Highest Authority, vital mission regarding safety of entire castle, summoned-champion-of-the-powers-that-be, etcetera.

[Mouth Speed Records: 2]

The guard seems distinctly unimpressed with your excuses. There is a very clear list of people permitted to be outside. You are not one of them. Get back inside. You have pretty great retort to that, but the look he gives you somehow makes you pause long enough for the timing to become unsalvageable.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: July 24, 2016, 01:00:16 pm »

Thomas blinked a couple times.  Well, this wasn't his point.  He supposed that the front door was out, which meant...

"Are there any other ways in?  We do have the grappling hook still."

Ask about/look for other ways in.  The grappling hook is on the table.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 24, 2016, 01:16:16 pm »

"Oh for fuck's sake, this again? Well, I appreciate what you do for me but sometimes this connection thieving business is a little ridiculous. I don't even remember these two!

Right, let's see if it's the one or both."

Walk directly in front of the captain dude and poke him in the nose with a finger. See if he recognizes my presence at all; if not, go find some other people.
Sig! Onol

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 24, 2016, 02:24:25 pm »

"Ah. May I ask where I might see that list? Just I saw a couple of people outside earlier who I'm pretty sure won't be on it."
Mention the stoat and the 'defector', Minett. Point out the direction they ran off in, as well.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: July 24, 2016, 03:14:48 pm »

The river passes through the town, right?
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 161