Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249702 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Halfway To Sheol
« Reply #1815 on: November 17, 2016, 08:41:51 am »

"Only sense... since furrn-funeral started. Annd whhat a wundeerful it wash! Shimply beautiful!" Leif wobbles on his feets. "Dunno ya butterflies, buht we vik-*hic* vikings drink too! And sing!"

Leif dunkenly sings, including sounds of instruments and other voices via minding and beatboxing. Appropriately ignoring the fact others may be sleeping. Maybe Rose can home in with this. Pass out when done.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: November 17, 2016, 11:27:10 am »

"Hint hint my largely nonexistent at this point ass, don't take that tone with me young lady I'll cut your hamstrings I will.
Anyway, sounds alright. Where might I find these pockets of resistance?"

State-sponsored murder sounds like a good deal, I suppose. Where do I start?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: November 17, 2016, 01:42:42 pm »

"Well... it's a start. Let's try another part of the house... I don't appreciate all the flailing going on here."

I make my way back to the entry room and then head for the bedrooms.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 01:45:34 pm by penguinofhonor »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: November 17, 2016, 11:47:30 pm »

Thomas edges back a little.  "Ah, uh, yes.  My name is Thomas Minstep, and I sell insurance for the Sureness Assurance company.  I helped out with the queen and the guard back at the castle before it fell over.  Perhaps we saw each other around the guard barracks?  I did some contract work for them."  Thomas patted the sword when he said that.  "Quite exciting, really."

Review what was done in the castle.  Indicate sword.  Recount that story in boring detail if requested.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: November 18, 2016, 04:33:18 pm »

"Oh, sorry about that; nothing much I can do about it at the moment. I'm Oscar Wilde, by the way, pleased to meet you.
What do I want? Information, mainly. And preferably a place to stay for the night, if possible.
So what is this place and, if I may ask, who are you?"

Introductions.

((sorry for the delay))
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: November 19, 2016, 06:52:31 pm »

"Only sense... since furrn-funeral started. Annd whhat a wundeerful it wash! Shimply beautiful!" Leif wobbles on his feets. "Dunno ya butterflies, buht we vik-*hic* vikings drink too! And sing!"

Leif dunkenly sings, including sounds of instruments and other voices via minding and beatboxing. Appropriately ignoring the fact others may be sleeping. Maybe Rose can home in with this. Pass out when done.

[The Song of My People: 1]

Your song is dunken indeed, dunken beyond any reckoning. Such a hellish noise it makes, in fact, that even Lee can't help but suddenly realize that there really is no compelling reason for her to remain here when she could instead be doing literally anything else. Such as catching some sleep far, far away from this damnable clearing. So she walks off while she thinks you aren't looking (to be fair you really weren't, but you just can't help seeing everything in the near vicinity).

You beatbox and bellow for a while yet, oscillating wildly around the tune of moderately authentic Norse folk, creating an ungodly racket for a good five or perhaps fifty minutes before you pass out and the sights of the camp give way to the sensation of sinking in a sea of alcohol, everything growing darker and murkier until all that remains is laminar flow and an ethanol burn in your nostrils.

What happens next you have no recollection of, but you wake up in the tree. Rather high up in the tree, actually. High enough to make you seriously doubt you could have climbed all the way in the state you were in. The sun has risen, which means that from your sixty-foot perch you manage to get a good vantage point on the Gallfly camp - goodness, there must be a hundred teepees around this single tree. As they sway drunkenly in the morning breeze you weakly hug the branch you seem to have been lounging upon until now. This ever-so-slightly soothes your mounting sense of vertigo.

"Hint hint my largely nonexistent at this point ass, don't take that tone with me young lady I'll cut your hamstrings I will.
Anyway, sounds alright. Where might I find these pockets of resistance?"

State-sponsored murder sounds like a good deal, I suppose. Where do I start?

Hey, she's been suggesting you do that the entire time and it's taken until now for you to take the hint. Give a girl a break, will you?

Anyway, there's that warehouse over there by the docks. Bunch of stoatmen plus sympathizers apparently blockaded themselves in there in hopes of reinforcements coming along - tough luck for them, but it's still taking too much time if you believe the shouting coming from that way. Both of you pause to listen in, and there's less shouting than a few moments ago, but the guard assures you that this is probably just the plotting phase in progress. It oscillates between efforts to break through and attempts to figure out a better way to break through when that fails.

Don't let her keep you, the astute guard bows slightly - she's sure that the sooner you get to helping the captain, the sooner everyone can loot the town for everything it's worth and move on with their lives, you know?

"Well... it's a start. Let's try another part of the house... I don't appreciate all the flailing going on here."

I make my way back to the entry room and then head for the bedrooms.

[Closing Jaws: 1]

The entry room, you note with some distress, seems to have crumpled entirely together after you passed through it, the ceiling gently mashing on the floor like an elaborate digestive mechanism. The doctor looks on, her face drawn. She does not look forward to seeing the other escape options, you could say, but surely there couldn't be many that are much worse than this one?

Thomas edges back a little.  "Ah, uh, yes.  My name is Thomas Minstep, and I sell insurance for the Sureness Assurance company.  I helped out with the queen and the guard back at the castle before it fell over.  Perhaps we saw each other around the guard barracks?  I did some contract work for them."  Thomas patted the sword when he said that.  "Quite exciting, really."

Review what was done in the castle.  Indicate sword.  Recount that story in boring detail if requested.

You sell insurance, she mouths along as she attempts to recall, and you- oh my, that sword!

[Stand Well Back: 3]

She stares at the blade, looking for her reflection but finding none. There is merely gray blankness, and one's voice behind it. Her hand nears the sword, but at the last moment before making contact she draws her fingers back, inhaling sharply as a shiver passes over her.

Yes, she says, she did hear of you. You were the one who defeated the stoatmen, she says, looking you over again as if not entirely sure whether you fit the description she's been given. And right now you are heading toward..., she begins curiously, waiting for you to finish the thought for her.

"Oh, sorry about that; nothing much I can do about it at the moment. I'm Oscar Wilde, by the way, pleased to meet you.
What do I want? Information, mainly. And preferably a place to stay for the night, if possible.
So what is this place and, if I may ask, who are you?"

Introductions.

Watchman is he, and house is the place. What was other question? You remind him gently.

Information! Not much information here. But place to stay, that can do. Come inside - stubborn door, give swift kick. You hear the door creak as the watchman stops resting his weight upon it. Beyond the door you can see very little, even when you shine your facial flashlight in there, but you do register an aroma best described as intensely off emanating from within.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: November 19, 2016, 08:35:07 pm »

"Probably, I suppose. I'll see you in a bit then."

Well, let's follow the shouting in that case. Time to go make some people regret whatever course of fate brought them in contact with me.
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: November 19, 2016, 08:49:29 pm »

"I'm starting to dislike this place."

I guess there's only one real choice left. Downstairs into the light we go.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: November 19, 2016, 09:13:43 pm »

Thomas shrugged.  "Nothing that special, really.  It was just the one big one.  Quite an exciting duel, though.  But yes, I am headed north toward Elizabeth.  Then beyond that, past where the road ends.  There is an airport... er, a place where metallic dragons land and take off.  That is where I am headed.  I am not sure how far past Elizabeth it is; hopefully someone there knows more detail."

Converse.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: November 20, 2016, 02:55:26 am »

"Víðarr? Váli? Baldr? Höðr? Did anyone see how I ended up here?"

It sounds like time to try levitating down. Eyes closed. If I can't see them, they can't see me.

By the way, my totally real gods need ability to speak with my mouth whenever they want to say something to these mortals.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: November 20, 2016, 11:33:14 am »

"Riiight. So what do you do here?"
Cautiously step inside, try to squeeze some blood from this stone.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: November 22, 2016, 07:31:10 am »

"Probably, I suppose. I'll see you in a bit then."

Well, let's follow the shouting in that case. Time to go make some people regret whatever course of fate brought them in contact with me.

The shouting has largely subsided by the time you make it to the docks, but you find the place easily enough. It's the largest warehouse in town, sturdy enough to have withstood the quake, and definitely sturdy enough to withstand a short siege, which seems to be the situation that's developed in the area. Most of the royal guards appear to be covering the two large entrances on opposite sides of the building and watching carefully for any escape attempts. A few are watching the dormers set into the warehouse's roof - you see one guard in particular nocking an arrow on her longbow as another one keeps a watchful eye on the windows.

[A Poke In The Eyes: 2 vs. 1+1]

The spotter marks a shadow up top, and makes a discreet nod - the archer aims and looses an arrow at it without a word, the projectile flying into the window and disappearing. Eh, she says. Probably missed. Yeah, the spotter concedes, there'd probably be more screaming if she did. So that's one and a half for nineteen, he counts as he hands her another arrow. Oh come on, she grumbles back, one and a half? Definitely two, that second guy definitely fell off the attic. She heard it herself! Concentrate, the guy says back, or else she'll never make two in twenty. They both recommence scanning the roof.

As you watch, you notice the commander of the royal guard has walked up by your side. Remarkably quiet when she wants to be. You're finally here, she says with an air of relief, choosing not to question your noodly shape and count her blessings. You notice some distance behind her a delegation of the smarter guards, currently working on what looks like an improvised battering ram. Can you resolve this quickly? There are about a dozen holdouts in there, presumably not well-armed, but very much intent on wasting her time. If you could somehow make them regret this decision - preferably in an extremely painful fashion - she'd be very appreciative.

"Víðarr? Váli? Baldr? Höðr? Did anyone see how I ended up here?"

It sounds like time to try levitating down. Eyes closed. If I can't see them, they can't see me.

By the way, my totally real gods need ability to speak with my mouth whenever they want to say something to these mortals.

The resounding silence of "no comment" is all the answer you get from your gods. You suspect your wasted state might be filtering down to them more than they'd care to admit.

[A Quick Way Down: 1]

Lacking better input, you close your eyes and let your mind take you where it may, and where it takes you is on a long trip off a very short branch as you spread your arms and belly flop onto the soil below, getting a hearty faceful of dirt as you bounce off the ground and roll downhill, drunkenly flailing as you try to make the world stop spinning. Fortunately the environment compensates your incapabilities as you roll onto one of the nearest teepees. In fact, you nearly roll over it entirely, but the slight incline left in the wake of its collapse under your weight stops your progress.

As something panics below you, you utilize the momentum to half-roll to your feet, standing nakedly atop the freshly created ruins. A few Gallflies gather, lumpy and bulbous to a man, and whisper to each other as they regard you with obvious worry. You are about to offer greetings, but when you open your mouth only a 20-pound burp tinged with a little bit of vomit comes out. You decide to try and make up the difference with expressive gesturing, but when you lean forward to engage your tenuous balance gives in and you instead find yourself sprawled on the dirt, your naked ass in the air as the whispers turn to outright chatter.

Thomas shrugged.  "Nothing that special, really.  It was just the one big one.  Quite an exciting duel, though.  But yes, I am headed north toward Elizabeth.  Then beyond that, past where the road ends.  There is an airport... er, a place where metallic dragons land and take off.  That is where I am headed.  I am not sure how far past Elizabeth it is; hopefully someone there knows more detail."

Converse.

You're looking for the Dragons? She seems incredulous. Most people tend to have a very healthy fear of them. Though she can see, she glances at the sword again, how you might not be quite like most people in a great number of ways.

She offers a smile. She was thinking of heading north also. Perhaps getting away from, she indicates the craters and the surrounding landscape, all this, you know. You wouldn't mind if she came along, would you? You seem like you would do well on the way. Rather... strong, she gently touches your arm again.

"I'm starting to dislike this place."

I guess there's only one real choice left. Downstairs into the light we go.

They sure know how to build their houses unsafe around here. You turn toward the only reasonable way remaining, and head downstairs, a bright light shining toward you from the open cellar door. The swaying of the staircase hardly even registers to you anymore.

[By The Light: 6]

Of course, this only makes it slightly disorienting when you get down there proper, the doctor following closely behind. If the rest of the house is teetering back and forth, the cellar appears to be the pivot around which it is doing so.

The first thing you notice is undoubtedly the enormous crack running across half the floor, up the wall and across the entire ceiling, imitating a seismic fault as its two sides rub against each other, heat and a great deal of light emanating from it as some form of eldritch friction takes place within the makeup of the house's foundation. The doctor steps in front of you a little as she takes a closer look. Good lord, she says. Is that thing wagging the rest of the house? She looks at you, pointing at the crack. You're seeing this as well, aren't you, she says before suddenly what looks like a lightning bolt strikes out from the fault, wrapping a nearby barrel of well-aged ale in a bright and fuzzy webbing before pulling it into itself, never to be seen again. The doctor wisely backs away in response.

[The Better Half: 2]

You look thoughtfully at the relatively normal half of the cellar. It seems to feature a good deal of stuff - old furniture, including a few cupboards and cabinets. You poke at some of the sacks arranged in a row, revealing a downright decadent stockpile of salt, and also an errant sack of potatoes that's made its way in there. A particularly gauche tapestry seems to have partly fallen away from the wall, revealing a not-quite-man-sized rift in the wall which seems altogether less fresh than most of the structural defects of this house. You hear the scratching of stone on stone emanating from it, and sigh before looking back at the side of the room with the crack.

Yep, much of the good stuff seems to be over in the direction of the hungry reality aberration. At a glance, you see a stepladder in one of the corners, a bed no doubt belonging to a former servant complete with a set of rather humble men's clothing arranged on top of it, and a stack of barrels rolling gently back and forth as the cellar oscillates around them.

"Riiight. So what do you do here?"
Cautiously step inside, try to squeeze some blood from this stone.

The watchman cautiously avoids your eye as you squeeze through the crack after kicking it to a slightly more open state. Something cracks as the door gives way. Nothing to worry about, you are advised.

The place looks no brighter on the inside, although your face is proving to be a fairly handy flashlight. It's about what you would expect from a lone shed in a dismal swamp - a desk covered in rusty, though well-used embalming tools strewn about, horned skulls looking down on you from above. Your eye wanders along the wall and- oh dear, that is most definitely a human skeleton resting against that wall. Brown-boned and covered in scraps of skin and sinew as of yet unclaimed by swamp, it grins at you much like you'd expect before twitching suddenly, a low unearthly groan escaping from what should rationally be a complete lack of vocal cords.

Stare not, the watchman says, putting his misshapen shoulder to work as he pushes the door closed. You take this wonderful advice as his knobbly hands guide you to one side where a moldy, uneven leather loveseat upholstered seemingly entirely from the cured faces of various animals rests. On one side of it rests a bog-mummified person wearing only a shockingly well-preserved metal helmet with a faceplate reminiscent of a Chinese guardian lion. The rest of its outfit seems to have gone missing along the course of time and tide, though it appears not to particularly mind. To the left of it on the other cushion is a curious array of glass eyes, sharp implements and a good few stoppered bottles - the watchman gathers these up in a worn leather bag before taking a lumbering look around to see where he could put them - he settles on the mummified one's lap, and you note its hands start to fiddle bonelessly with the kit, fingers crawling over it like worms as it tilts its helmeted head this way and that.

The watchman guides you carefully to sit next to the helmeted thing, the loveseat conforming wetly to your shape, reminding you of a dozen questing snouts as it wriggles over you partly of its own accord. You try to find a place for your eye to rest - first on the watchman, who slides out of the way in displeasure, then on the skeleton again, which hisses in response, then on yet another pile of mystifying tools, which shuffle a little. Finally, you decide to simply stare dead-on at one of the wall-mounted skulls - either out of politeness or legitimate deadness it makes no move in response.

You let a brief silence descend as everything within gets comfortable with your presence. Um, you begin as you try to remember what your question was, what do they all do here? The question hangs with particular relevance as the watchman thinks and makes a discomfiting damp noise.

Here they while, he settles on an answer eventually. Fish. Every few years warn wanderers direly. Sometimes celebr-

The mummified one starts floppily banging its hand on the helmet, producing a ringing clear enough that you wonder how much of a head it actually possesses under the metal. Teeaaa, it forces out a long whine. The skeleton echoes this with a meaningful groan. The watchman shrugs. Tea sometimes also, he says as he goes to retrieve something gently hissing from behind the sofa. Want some?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: November 22, 2016, 04:11:42 pm »

"Whoah, what a night... Did anyone see my pants?"

Get up, cover family jewels with one hand, I'm not a display to gawk at. Locate pair of pants to borrow.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: November 22, 2016, 06:38:50 pm »

"Yeah, I can't punch through the door or anything like that since my bones are currently nonexistent, but I can open a hole in the door or one of the walls for you. Where d'you want it?"

Allow the guard captain to indicate where she wants the hole and presumably form up a bunch of soldiers near the place, then REND the door/wall/whatever to bits.
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: November 22, 2016, 07:05:17 pm »

Thomas shrugged, completely missing her overtures.  "I suppose it would make sense to travel together.  Is there anything you need to do here first?"  He looked around the area.  "I could probably eat something.  It'd make sense to eat before we left."

Accept offer.  Look for eats.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 161