Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249645 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Sureness Permanent Assurance
« Reply #2070 on: March 14, 2017, 06:22:07 am »

"Eh, I'll just wait for when he's available to talk to then. I don't really need to go to El, though - I was heading there at one point on account of I needed something from there, but I picked it up along the way as a matter of happenstance. All I'd need in compensation for working for you folks would be, as you said, data, maybe a few helpings of that bacon maggot cheese stuff you guys make every now and then, and the opportunity to take a look at any magical or ... odd phenomena or objects we might come across while travelling. Might benefit me, y'see. And thus you guys. Is that reasonable?"

Daniels pauses for but a second before speaking again, a thought seemingly popping into his head just as he shuts his mouth.

"Oh, this interview you mentioned - does it involve mind probing at all? If so, it's probably best to do some other version of it that doesn't involve that, my mind's not the most welcoming place to outside probes."
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: March 14, 2017, 07:35:15 am »

Perfectly reasonable!

Now, let's locate Lee and check if the mystery box is safe. Gotta talk about what we do next.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: March 14, 2017, 09:05:01 am »

"Well, I'd say we just head up the side first; if the man up top doesn't wish to allow us passage, we can fall back to the tunnels as another option.  Onward and upward?"

Start the climb.   Keep an eye out for angry rugby players.

Rugby; did that involve kicking?  Thomas had heard that rugby players were an unruly lot.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: March 15, 2017, 07:20:12 am »

"I guess you're right. If she doesn't want to leave, though, I doubt I can force her."

I walk back into the cave until I get to the main chamber. "Hey, Oggie! Do you want to come with us on an adventure? I know you said you missed talking to people - if you come with us you wouldn't have to be so lonely. The outside doesn't seem any more dangerous than your house, for now at least, and I'm sure the three of us could handle anything out there."

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: March 15, 2017, 12:32:01 pm »

"I'm fine, thank you. Just came over here to see if anyone needed help. Quite a crash, there.
Wait, is there anything wrong with the cart, then? I may be able to help with that."
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: March 15, 2017, 07:14:58 pm »

"Eh, I'll just wait for when he's available to talk to then. I don't really need to go to El, though - I was heading there at one point on account of I needed something from there, but I picked it up along the way as a matter of happenstance. All I'd need in compensation for working for you folks would be, as you said, data, maybe a few helpings of that bacon maggot cheese stuff you guys make every now and then, and the opportunity to take a look at any magical or ... odd phenomena or objects we might come across while travelling. Might benefit me, y'see. And thus you guys. Is that reasonable?"

Daniels pauses for but a second before speaking again, a thought seemingly popping into his head just as he shuts his mouth.

"Oh, this interview you mentioned - does it involve mind probing at all? If so, it's probably best to do some other version of it that doesn't involve that, my mind's not the most welcoming place to outside probes."

She puts her hand to her chest as if wounded by the notion of probing your mind. Please, good sir, such invasive and barbaric techniques are at best ineffective and at worst insulting to valued associates. What fashionable things they used to be, minders. Fortunately evolution can be a quick thing when those in power are threatened by it, wouldn't you agree?

No, she was more thinking some questions over coffee if you do not mind, sir. She flags down a nearby sailor and quickly instructs him to bring Peaks along sharpish, and also a table if he'd be so kind. Oh, and three chairs. Nice ones. There's a good man.

All of those, you notice, are brought with stupendous quickness, including the alchemist who appears to be in good spirits as she approaches, smiling first at the head in your possession and then at you as she bows graciously and they take seats somewhat close to one another. Two Shores sheathes her sword in a movement too precarious to be called elegant and steeples her fingers as she also takes a seat. Coffee is brought by familiar faces from the tavern with played-up sweetness and grace.

Your two interviewers look up at you meaningfully, and Two Shores indicates the seat prepared for you. The interview will take a little while, she would like to say in advance, and the questions may be a little thorough at times. Shouldn't worry of course, Peaks adds, you've done all right by the Vault. Indeed, Shores continues, a bad outcome is highly unlikely and anything you choose to reveal will be kept in strict confidence.

A warm cup of what is, judging by the smell, considerably better coffee than what you got in the tavern before stands prepared just for you, along with a snack of the bacon maggot cheese stuff ('juggler's foot' is apparently the proper name, as Peaks Ever-Crumbling sees fit to comment). You have a moment to consider exactly how much you want to lie about.

Perfectly reasonable!

Now, let's locate Lee and check if the mystery box is safe. Gotta talk about what we do next.

[Leeward Course: 6]

Lee has got up remarkably early for all of the drinking she has clearly engaged in, and seems to be keeping very well as you find her sipping a subterranean variety of tea and having slight nibbles of fermented crab. She's a little red-eyed as she looks at you, but in very good shape regardless.

You sit down opposite her as she merely nods in greeting. So, you say. A moment or two passes. Rough night, you add in a nondescript tone.

Yes, she says and has another go at the crab. The conversation doesn't really begin to flow from there.

Right, you make another brave effort. So how about that box of hers. She raises an eyebrow. The mystery box, you clarify. The one from the alchemist.

Oh, she says with audible relief. That one. She nods. Yes. She has placed it somewhere.

Okay, you say as a little more time passes. And that place would be...

Lee shrugs. It has not come back to her yet. It could not have gone very far. Should turn up at some point, she says with a mysterious smile.

"Well, I'd say we just head up the side first; if the man up top doesn't wish to allow us passage, we can fall back to the tunnels as another option.  Onward and upward?"

Start the climb.   Keep an eye out for angry rugby players.

Rugby; did that involve kicking?  Thomas had heard that rugby players were an unruly lot.

[Onward And Upward: 1]

The climb goes remarkably well, as such climbs all too often do, until it rather suddenly doesn't some 50 feet from your starting point. The hill, or rather what has at that point become nearly a cliff, very suddenly begins to crumble as a handhold gives way, followed by your foothold and then much of the hillside near it as you and a considerable number of rocky chunks and fellow climbers sail downward in a shower of bodies and rubble, you at the very top.

[Survival of the Fittest: 2]

It works out rather well, all things considered - you've at worst crushed perhaps one of the treefishers underneath the mass of climbers, and much of the rubble falling down is deflected by your face and your flailing limbs, though not to their aesthetic or structural benefit. There's what could be charitably described as a darned kerfuffle as the pile disintegrates into variously injured folk stumbling away from the crumbled hillside from atop the people with actually broken or fractured bones.

It seems that they've developed a sudden and very healthy curiosity about their new insurance policies. The ones conscious enough to make noise, that is.

[King of the Hill: 1]

Another rock hits you on the head as the hillside ceases collapsing onto you, adding to your serendipitous new wealth of lacerations and borderline dislocations. You turn around and see the inklings of an old structure poking out of where deceptively stable cliffside used to be.

"I guess you're right. If she doesn't want to leave, though, I doubt I can force her."

I walk back into the cave until I get to the main chamber. "Hey, Oggie! Do you want to come with us on an adventure? I know you said you missed talking to people - if you come with us you wouldn't have to be so lonely. The outside doesn't seem any more dangerous than your house, for now at least, and I'm sure the three of us could handle anything out there."

[Mysteries of the Subterranean: 4]

The doctor beams at you as you agree to her request. She does not, however, feel like going back in there (not that it would even help, she rationalizes quietly). So you wander into the dark and look around for Oggie. She does not prove difficult to find initially, although she does seem leery of coming very close at first. Eventually, however, you manage to get some face time (literally in the case of her running her very large hands over your face and making sure, near as you can tell, that you've not undergone some terribly feared change).

That done, you decide to make your case to her again on behalf of the doctor.

[Heavenly Light: 6]

The light, she says. Irritating.

Well, you reply, there's nighttime. No light then. Not a lot, anyway. There's something to be said for variety as well, isn't there? You can't appreciate the dark if there's not a bit of light to give it contrast. She gives this thought.

What about pets, she asks. Many pets down here. Voiceless mostly. Some talk every now and then. Not alive, no. But still talking sometimes, yes.

There's a lot more topside, you reply! All kinds of furry, muscular, scaly and slimy things travel along the earth, things she assuredly hasn't seen or felt yet. Many of them could likely even be coerced into some kind of pet-like arrangement. You hear Oggie rub her chin thoughtfully with a steely scratching noise.

Something occurs to her. What about bad people? Many of those. Too many.

Most of them were eaten, you reassure her, and there was an earthquake and a plague of other people that drove the rest off near as you can tell. And if you run into more, you're fairly sure that with your command of sorcery and her extreme potential in wringing necks you can take care of most anything else.

You hear a sound like a deceptively small creature very precisely miming how exactly she'd pull a man's head off. It sounds quite imaginative and disturbingly anatomically correct. A noise like sandpaper having far too good a time issues from her throat. Revenge. Yes. It tickles the mind.

She would like this, to wring the neck of someone responsible. Or someone related. She is stronger than she was, she thinks. Or knows better, at least. Take her there.

Supposing this good enough, you take her out toward the exit. Oggie starts nearly pulling you back several times along the way, and needs a little reminding every now and then where you are going, and a little less convincing as you don't so much argue as repeat what you have already spoken of.

Eventually you are at the threshold. Oggie looks out into the sun and all the hairs on her body violently bristle. She pulls you with a force that nearly dislocates your shoulder and you fall to the ground. The doctor, having stood up from what must have been a good half hour of nervous waiting, leaps forward to try and help.

She freezes in place as Oggie's head snaps toward her, her watering warthog eyes squinting to make her out in the blinding light. That, she says after a moment. That is her dress, she points at the doctor. The doctor looks at you helplessly. Why is that woman wearing her dress, Oggie asks you very sharply, raising you from the ground with one hand and a very suspicious stare.

"I'm fine, thank you. Just came over here to see if anyone needed help. Quite a crash, there.
Wait, is there anything wrong with the cart, then? I may be able to help with that."

Very good, the man says. And not that much of a crash. He's seen it hit more important things.

It's not really a cart, he confides in you after you press a little more. The cart responds by almost pulling itself out of the ruins in a threatening fashion. Don't ask too much about it, it makes it nervous. And that just leads to more crashes.

He sighs as the thing slides back into its former position. Best not to think about it too deeply. Wonderful day, isn't it. You look up at the eternal dark grayness of the dead kingdom's sky, and back at him quizzically. You're right, he says, it never is. Sorry, he then adds and starts to dig out the cart from the ruins, which seems to settle it down some.

Good work, he mumbles as he works, running cargo in the market district. Builds character, or so he's heard. You wouldn't happen to be new, would you? You seem not particularly dead in any case, would he be correct in saying so?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: March 15, 2017, 11:24:38 pm »

Well, that depends on what exactly they ask me - I imagine if asked to give a brief rundown of my history, I probably wouldn't outright lie about anything but certainly gloss over some of the more pointlessly cruel human rights violations I committed in the past, or paint them in a better light or somesuch. I probably wouldn't go into that much detail anyhow, otherwise we'd be sitting here for days. I'd just probably give a quick rundown of my time in the castle, focusing moreso on my efforts to defend the population of Anglefork Castle (and later on village) from the besieging stoatmen army rather than the human sacrifice and all that.
Actually, maybe just omit the human sacrifice and various other acts of torture and such I committed. Frame it more as necessary combat if I get questioned about it at all.

If it's alright with you though Harry, I'd like to RP through the interview, even if that does end up taking a while.

Daniels sits down, his murder-thought flowing up behind his shoulders in a vaguely feline fashion.

"By all means then, let's get started," he grins.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:07:12 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: March 16, 2017, 12:54:17 am »

If it's alright with you though Harry, I'd like to RP through the interview, even if that does end up taking a while.

That would very likely take forever, so probably best to abstract it. It's one of those cases where you wouldn't be missing all that much compared to question-by-question.

However, I'll keep this in mind and make the interview go for several turns, pausing on the more creative questions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: March 16, 2017, 12:57:33 am »

That would very likely take forever, so probably best to abstract it. It's one of those cases where you wouldn't be missing all that much compared to question-by-question.

However, I'll keep this in mind and make the interview go for several turns, pausing on the more creative questions.
Alrighty, I'll add a quick summary of what tone I'll take and such.
Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: March 16, 2017, 02:03:34 am »

"Okay. If you say so." Leif says after moment of silence. "Sounds... inevitable enough."

"Is there some... other box I should be aware of? Not that I'm jealous or anything, a girl can have as many boxes as she wants. Just curious."

What she's so relieved about?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: March 16, 2017, 12:25:56 pm »

Thomas shook his head after the blow.  Well, nothing seems dislocated, at least.  "Oh look, we've found something!  And after a fall like that, only the sturdy bits remain!  Probably.  Come on, up you folks, nothing looks too broken.  Ah, yes, just show any insurance forms to the doctors and they'll handle the billing."

Help up the others.  Head back up to check out the new revelation.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: March 17, 2017, 02:44:38 pm »

"I am new indeed, though just passing through. Probably alive as well, though come to think of it I'm not totally sure a about that. How about you; have you lived - er, or not - here long? What's it like?"

Making conversation.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Maybe Just Omit The Human Sacrifice
« Reply #2082 on: March 18, 2017, 06:25:44 pm »

Well, that depends on what exactly they ask me - I imagine if asked to give a brief rundown of my history, I probably wouldn't outright lie about anything but certainly gloss over some of the more pointlessly cruel human rights violations I committed in the past, or paint them in a better light or somesuch. I probably wouldn't go into that much detail anyhow, otherwise we'd be sitting here for days. I'd just probably give a quick rundown of my time in the castle, focusing moreso on my efforts to defend the population of Anglefork Castle (and later on village) from the besieging stoatmen army rather than the human sacrifice and all that.
Actually, maybe just omit the human sacrifice and various other acts of torture and such I committed. Frame it more as necessary combat if I get questioned about it at all.

Daniels sits down, his murder-thought flowing up behind his shoulders in a vaguely feline fashion.

"By all means then, let's get started," he grins.

It all begins with proper introductions, naturally. You are Jack Daniels, a stranger in a strange land, seeking knowledge and understanding. The first mate introduces herself as Two Shores Will Become One At The Threshold Of Hell with delighted reverence, and the alchemist offers her full name as The Asymptotic Peaks Ever-Crumbling Between The Sharp Teeth Of The Forever Change. As the good book would have them be, Two Shores adds to cap off the recital.

[Keep The Story Straight: 1]

There are quite a lot of snacks, there is coffee and there is a surprising amount of conversation as the interview turns into a somewhat jovial brunch as you start explaining to them the overall circumstances of your presence here, related in reverse order from the moment you came here. Most of it rather strikingly seems to remind them of something from the unlikeliest of places, whether a disarming anecdote from Peaks' days in grammar school when you mention a minder or an episode of El's military past, as much a history of clashing forces as it is a chronicle of massive explosions, as related by Shores with affectionate detail. Or, as it is in one case when you speak of the Worm-knight, a lengthy digression about the House of Sighs, one of El's top-class nunneries (nevertheless very lovely folk, says Peaks, and very polite, Shores adds, if altogether too serious about what they do).

The questions grow increasingly well-placed through the lunch as you move into the second hour, and the guesses underlying them highly educated to the point where the two of them (taking notes the entire time, you notice) seem to get most of the details right by inference as opposed to questioning. Including, curiously enough, the human sacrifice, though that seems not particularly bothersome to either of them (sacrifice is a noble tradition in El, Two Shores would point out, and very respected - sacrifice of other people much more so, Peaks would sensibly chuckle).

Though one thing is still terribly elusive, Shores goes on to say. Yes, you've got a weird disconnect in your history, Peaks continues the thought. You're simultaneously not from anywhere in particular and yet absolutely not from here. There exists, or at least used to exist a Jack Daniels quite apart from what you seem to be right now, which is to say an empowered, ambulatory tool for the enactment of the will of an ultradimensional being with an endearingly loose grasp on the core notions of human conduct.

What do you think your relationship is to this earlier iteration of yourself? And more than that, to this strange Earth realm you claim to have left behind?

"Okay. If you say so." Leif says after moment of silence. "Sounds... inevitable enough."

"Is there some... other box I should be aware of? Not that I'm jealous or anything, a girl can have as many boxes as she wants. Just curious."

What she's so relieved about?

There is not, Lee snaps back. You need not be jealous of- she pauses. This is a topic that she refuses to explore further, she says after a moment.

In any case, she planned to look for the alchemist's delivery rather than wait for it to fall into her hands, obviously. She simply figured that such a task could safely wait until after breakfast. Nobody will have stolen it, at least not on purpose. So she can ask around and find it easily in all likelihood.

And from there she can return it to you. The clan will likely start moving to Elizabeth tomorrow, so you would likely want to go with her and the rest. They know the way through the underground. The city will welcome them as always.

Thomas shook his head after the blow.  Well, nothing seems dislocated, at least.  "Oh look, we've found something!  And after a fall like that, only the sturdy bits remain!  Probably.  Come on, up you folks, nothing looks too broken.  Ah, yes, just show any insurance forms to the doctors and they'll handle the billing."

Help up the others.  Head back up to check out the new revelation.

[The Dance of Insurance: 6+1]

Gamble, having had the fortune to be sufficiently close to the top to not sustain a large amount of injuries, translates this to mean that the sacred contracts can compel powerful healing forces to aid them in the event of trouble - he's got a process in mind for this, it turns out. He has Helen carry one of the more unconscious treefishers a little distance away as you move to resume the climb, the rest of the folk going off to either watch or participate as he undertakes what looks and sounds to be an invigorating round of putting his hand on their varied troubling maladies and shouting away any signs of injury while brandishing all of the fancy leatherwork proving their connection to the healing powers and entitlement to reimbursement for any harms suffered.

[The Magic of Magical Thinking: 2]

There's quite a lot of shouting as you shrug and start to climb. Gamble's own attempts appear to grow more urgent as he experiments with several varieties of sanctified invocations of medical service. You leave them to sort it out as you prepare to brave the hill once again.

[Driven Up The Wall: 6]

The structures that the sudden collapse bared prove rather helpful, for despite their nature as the sheer walls of a rather large subterranean building complex they at least tend to be very much segmented ones that are about 20 feet tall at most before giving way to another level. That and a lot of the structure is unstable enough to allow you to occasionally pull out small blocks to get better handholds and footholds. It doesn't take long before you've gone up a good hundred and fifty feet in what seems in retrospect to be something you should find more exhilarating than it really was. Good heavens, you think as you look back from where you've landed, which is what must have once been a very impressive terrace of some kind of brick temple. 150 feet vertical really is a lot longer than you would think.

You hear a rumbling and look at the hillside that stretches up ahead. Aha, more structural instability. Luckily you've learned by now. This time you seek shelter in a timely fashion as the still-hidden hillside above threatens to collapse on you very suddenly, and then very quickly follows through on the threat.

[Long Way Down: 2]

You'd think the building would hold up. You'd be somewhat wrong, as you soon discover, as it looks like whatever this building was calibrated to hold atop it, it doesn't seem like a sudden descent of several tons of rock was it. Most of it starts to shatter and collapse under the avalanche, bits of the thing crumbling and falling to the ground below as you take shelter in a more stable alcove, the terrace breaking in half and then falling in as suddenly the wall of the hill completely changes shape again, leaving a massive pile of rubble where your followers used to stand before they were led away on an ill-conceived faith healing attempt. Lucky for them, you suppose.

150 feet really is a long way down, you conclude as you look out from your slight alcove in the hill. Looks perhaps a little longer now that it's all in one place as opposed to staggered along levels, just one sheer vertical drop of assured doom one way and an even more vertical wall of assured doom leading upward, terminating at a bit of an overhang some fifty more feet up that you think ought to be the end of the properly perilous climb as the top of the ridge shouldn't be at all far away then and it seems like the slope evens out at that point.

"I am new indeed, though just passing through. Probably alive as well, though come to think of it I'm not totally sure a about that. How about you; have you lived - er, or not - here long? What's it like?"

Making conversation.

It's actually quite good, the teamster explains, and he hasn't been here very long. Perhaps a century or three at most, but it's quite easy to lose count with how dodgy the days are around here. Where he comes from he was always told that when he died he'd have to eat clay and drink dust and what have you all the time until somebody saw fit to call him out to do divinations or something. This is a lot better, he feels. He gets to walk around and pull a cart, good solid work to put the mind at ease after a long life of work and effort.

He pulls the cart from the ruins after a little effort and starts pulling it up the slope. You walk along with him as he slowly makes progress, occasionally sweeping another inhabitant out of the way with a well-placed kick.

Yes, quite a life this is. Of course, he's a bit more fortunate than most. They properly embalmed him before sending him over here, he's watertight and well-prepared. They also sent some food and a couple of servants, but those turned out a lot less useful. Always hard to tell what part of things is true when it comes to death. No reliable reports on the subject, you know what he means? Why, the stories he could tell to the folks back home. Not that he'd know how to find them again. Or if they're alive at all anymore. Some of them ought to be, he had a fairly rich extended family and all. Great believers in procreation. Sometimes they could hardly stop, even!

You navigate most of the slope without trouble. The street sweepers, you notice, give the teamster a very wide berth as he moves along.

Funny creatures, comments the teamster, all these functionaries. Used to be people, did you know? There's a strange sort of resonance here apparently. You look like what you do. Or you become what you do. Or something like that. A temple man once told him that. He always thought death was something of an ending, you know? The capstone to your reputation, deeds and character. Turns out it's not that simple at all, far from it.

You stand at the top of the slope once again, much the same way you first saw the man and his cart. All in all he has to say he's pretty satisfied with his lot in death, even after all this time. You do occasionally have to wonder, of course, as to whether there's maybe more to all this than doing a menial task for all eternity, but he has to say that while the temptation to question it is very real at certain times, he also can't say he can think of anything better to do either.

As he speaks, you see the cart slowly unwind its handles from his grasp. As he goes for a gesture it jostles itself a little ways away, and within moments has gone racing down a side street. There is a sharp crash as it impacts a distant downhill warehouse. The man looks out. A different building this time? Must be confused from all the conversation. He nods to you - keep busy and have a good time, he'd better get back to proper work now.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: March 19, 2017, 01:00:44 pm »

Daniels contemplates the inquiry - it's quite a unique one, and something he'd rather avoided asking himself for fear that the answer wouldn't be to his liking. What if he really was the original Daniels, and he'd just vanished from earth one day? Seems like it'd be somewhat of a shock to his family ... well, that which he'd had, and friends, of which there were all of two.

It didn't really matter, did it? If he did want to get back to Earth there was no doubt a way to do it, but did he really want to? This world was so much cooler than the earth he remembered, and he didn't really have all that much to miss from his home. Or anything at all.

"Well, it's difficult to say whether I'm the original Jack Daniels, or if I'm just a stencil of his mind stapled onto this form in order to be able to effectively interact with humans. I don't think I could answer that question without hard data. However, regardless of whether I'm the original Jack or not, I think my relationship to him as I may or may not be is basically the same as that of any person to themselves. I still have Jack Daniels' personality, memories, appearance... for all intents and purposes, I'm him. I don't see any particular reason to muddy things up by speculating whether my existence has merit or whatever - I'm here now, and I'll make my way through life much as I did before, if with significantly less physical restrictions. Earth ... to be honest I never found the part I lived in very interesting. There were some neat aspects, like the karate and such, the things people could push themselves to do, but on the whole the stories people generated there presented a better reality than what really existed. I always had a hard time connecting with people there when the stories we told about our world outweighed it to such a great degree. I'll miss the people I knew there, sure, in a vague sense, but not really. I'm happy to stick around in this world - the experience of adjusting to a truly foreign place is interesting to me, and the Vault is a good way to see this world in a less haphazard way than I have been up until now."
Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: March 19, 2017, 02:51:09 pm »

"Yeah, I'll stick with Moths since I'm apparently honorary member now. Don't remember when that happened, but apparently it did happen. Great god damn party!"

Praise Moth's party skills some more and pop a vodka fruit.

"I assume you got your business with Great Moth done before I found you guys, or was it other way around? I wasn't exactly in clearest state of mind after eating half of these... what were these called again, happy-hags?, and getting my limbs lopped off by that damn bird. I hope it died painfully."

Chat more with Lee, try to get her open up now that she got home ground advantage. What there's to do? How Moths make their living? Any eligible bachelorettes around? Gotta think about future, you know, after getting that box into its intented grave. Is Lee herself a bachelorette?
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 161