Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 298801 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2250 on: May 10, 2023, 09:46:36 am »

Its predecessor ( Kingmaker ) was truly great too.
Its only problem was on the technical/optimisation aspect (that Wrath of the Righteous improved from what i read) but gameplay and amount of content were top notch

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: May 10, 2023, 10:23:46 am »

This is just a minor thing, I really enjoyed kingmaker as well, but I don't think the only problem was the technical stuff :P I think the enemy choice of the last act or two was pretty bad with the enemies throwing down pretty binary status effects that you're either immune too or you sorta get fucked, made the late game quite a slog and not that interesting mechanically. Also how like... a majority of the exp in the game was contained in a dialog choice in a super easy to miss minor side quest that has nothing to do with the rest of the game was... a interesting choice. Also I found real time a lot harder to play though then turn based, mostly because of pretty bad AI on the teammates, and so played though the game on turnbased which made it probably take several times longer then it should have. In some situations I just left my team behind somewhere else and sent just 1 character in to play the game in real time since some battles would take far far far too long on turn based to get though (looking at you skeleton room with 10000000000 skeletons)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 10:26:32 am by Criptfeind »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: May 10, 2023, 01:35:28 pm »

Never played Kingmaker. Will it be worthwhile after WotR?
As I'm playing a bit more in the strategic layer, I'm starting to think it's the least polished part of the game. By far. Having no feel for the mechanics, I picked a commander for the starting army randomly. Now I see that if it weren't a wizard, I'd be struggling AF. The basic fire bolt spell is winning all the battles - almost one-shotting most stacks that would otherwise murder my troops. I tried using a melee dude for the second army, and everyone in it is just dying, impotently. The balancing here is a bit wonky.
Still, it's a nice break from adventuring that fits with the story, however uninspired mechanically.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: May 10, 2023, 03:05:37 pm »

WotR improved mostly everything over Kingmaker as i guess the devs learned what worked and what didn't, so WotR gameplay and mechanics should be superior, making it harder to get into Kingmaker if you start with WotR unfortunately.

But the story and atmosphere are very different, so maybe it could be worth it if you still want more pathfinder after completing WotR as it does not feel like a repeat.

Kingmaker is about basic adventurers/mercenaries getting an opportunity of seizing a territory for themselves, then developping it into an actual player in the political games of the neighbouring kingdoms, while learning the hard way why none managed to rule that territory for long, and fighting to overcome that fate leading the game from throwing a lot of "classic" adventures (most are unrelated to each other and unrelated to the main story) and enemies to then progressively saga of epic proportions against extremely powerful foes from a forgotten world as the story progress.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 03:07:57 pm by Robsoie »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: May 10, 2023, 04:09:43 pm »

Mainly here to echo what Robsoie said, but I happily switched to Wrath of the Righteous despite never finishing my Kingmaker run (I made it to 15 I think?) because Wrath has a lot of QoL improvements like the game telling you when bonuses don't stack, rotating the camera, and fewer bugs. Also the game has more mechanical options modelled out. Mythic rules especially make the game way more interesting.

However, personally I'm doing a new Kingmaker run because I picked up the PF2 version of the book and it made me want to finish the video game before reading the book. If you're enjoying Wrath and are okay with less QoL things and timed main quests I think you'll enjoy it.

I think it took me 150 hours to beat Wrath of the Righteous, but I did turn based mode for 90% of it, which increases the length of fights like Criptfiend said. I also put it down for a bit around Act IV because my computer had trouble with the particle effects that show up then.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: May 11, 2023, 04:13:14 am »

Tried picking Elite: Dangerous up again. Shortly after the last time I stopped playing, they split it into two versions, Legacy and Live. Legacy isn't updated anymore, and the save is split between them. Unfortunately, installing Live required over 50GB(more while installing) on top of Legacy's +20GB, which is a bit much for me to maintain. In the meantime, I still found myself doing silver trading, for over 4 million credits per run in my Type-7. I've got over 30 million saved, and I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe explore?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: May 11, 2023, 06:22:32 am »

Remember the 20 years old game that originally was called Sea Dogs 2 but was rebranded Pirates of the Caribbean when they got a license to the movie ?
It had an acclaimed mod that vastly improved and expanded it with new features, new ships, new storylines, new quests, etc ... that was called New Horizons

That mod never ceased development, and recently the devs managed to make it fully standalone with a new engine and renamed it Beyond New Horizons, you can download it and its current development patch from this thread :
https://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/beyond-new-horizons-alpha-release.34218/

It's very janky (like the original game was) in term of character controls, but if you can get through the jank, it's a really good piracy game with lots of things to do.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 06:25:02 am by Robsoie »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: May 11, 2023, 06:47:18 am »

I never understood why it was called pirates of the caribean, all I know is that I never got off despite reinstalling and trying several times... There is nothing to do in the start besides getting your ass handed to you.
let

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: May 11, 2023, 06:53:18 am »

There's a couple of characters from the movie you'll see in some of the ports, and there's the cursed version of the Black Pearl with the skeletons crew that you'll randomly run into (and will have to defeat in the endgame by using one of the mcguffin you'll find in a quest just before).

New Horizon as a mod for it was totally worth trying (and this Beyond New Horizon standalone is too), so much better than the base game in every ways and add a lot more things to do than only getting your ass handed to you :D

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: May 11, 2023, 04:17:33 pm »

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Not gonna resurrect the dedicated thread just for this - just wanted to say that I picked it up on sale on a whim, having previously dismissed it as just another generic DnD RPG. And it's the most fun I've had with this genre since the original Planescape. It's great. Presentation, writing, characters, the munchkin-y min-maxing, the HoM&M-lite strategy bits, it's all excellent. I've already sunk some 50h into it, and it feels like I'm maybe half-way through the story.
I'd been half eying that for a while, and the sale was... good enough. After most of a couple days to download, I've started it up and fiddled a bit, and...

... I couldn't find an answer from google but maybe one of you folks know. Are velociraptor actually programmed to be first pick of your party to open doors, or has this just been a very unusual string of coincidences? I started a run with one, and so far the plucky blighter has been the one to open every door that I've opened. I can't tell if this is coincidence, deliberate design for velociraptor animal companions, or if I stumbled over some kind of easter egg by naming the thing Clever Girl.

E: Though, I will say, one of my earliest impressions was "Whoever thought having item highlighting not be a toggle in a game this new was a goddamn idiot". Google has informed me some mod or another fixes this staggering oversight in UI design, so now I get to figure out how mods work on this thing :V
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 05:24:11 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: May 11, 2023, 05:34:08 pm »

What's probably the case is that the velociraptor has the highest speed in your party.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: May 11, 2023, 05:58:17 pm »

... y'know, that's an explanation that's as reasonable as it is disappointing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: May 11, 2023, 06:20:16 pm »

It's an RPG. Role-play the 'nope, they really did code it in' explanation. You must, it's too good.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 06:29:22 pm by Il Palazzo »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: May 11, 2023, 06:36:21 pm »

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Not gonna resurrect the dedicated thread just for this - just wanted to say that I picked it up on sale on a whim, having previously dismissed it as just another generic DnD RPG. And it's the most fun I've had with this genre since the original Planescape. It's great. Presentation, writing, characters, the munchkin-y min-maxing, the HoM&M-lite strategy bits, it's all excellent. I've already sunk some 50h into it, and it feels like I'm maybe half-way through the story.
I'd been half eying that for a while, and the sale was... good enough. After most of a couple days to download, I've started it up and fiddled a bit, and...

... I couldn't find an answer from google but maybe one of you folks know. Are velociraptor actually programmed to be first pick of your party to open doors, or has this just been a very unusual string of coincidences? I started a run with one, and so far the plucky blighter has been the one to open every door that I've opened. I can't tell if this is coincidence, deliberate design for velociraptor animal companions, or if I stumbled over some kind of easter egg by naming the thing Clever Girl.

E: Though, I will say, one of my earliest impressions was "Whoever thought having item highlighting not be a toggle in a game this new was a goddamn idiot". Google has informed me some mod or another fixes this staggering oversight in UI design, so now I get to figure out how mods work on this thing :V

I mean, if you're ripping off Baldur's Gate, at least make the game as good as Baldur's Gate. It's a quarter of a century old, how are people not able to keep up with old technology?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: May 11, 2023, 07:01:47 pm »

Don't be silly. Being in the same genre doesn't a rip-off make. Besides, BG was kinda crap compared to this.

The lack of toggle is forgivable - seeing how the game lets you automatically collect all encountered loot when you're leaving the area.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 168