Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 54

Author Topic: Misson 26: You Monster  (Read 89226 times)

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
Re: Misson 26: Metaphorically jizzing all over the multiverse
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2015, 02:28:17 pm »

((I'd say one hour or so, just to start with. That being said, Gus would have deferred to Dester, so it's really up to Ozarck.))

Gus kneels, poking the ground with one finger.

"Hey, Dus- er, Boss. This is pretty cool, us bein' the first people in this universe.  Historic, even.You mind if I mark this spot?"

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2015, 04:01:01 pm »

To Steve
"It is a reasonably warm universe, that seems to have highly infectious life forms within it, the video I sent in the last message shows a rabbit that came back from that universe throwing up spiders after it became ill from visiting that universe. I have since incinerated everything that came back from that universe"

Phase 3 to 7,7,7 (Vincent is TOTALLY exploring this universe provided things go well up to phase 4 [and I have specific additions to phase 4 plans to accomodate possible intelligent life forms])

Phase 1 to
4,13,09 (no matter the info we get on this verse, it's the homestuck verse)
4,20,69 (I'm immature... ok?)
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2015, 05:26:33 pm »

I realize the cavern is larger than the earth. Never mind the flyover anyway, the probes handled that well enough. The trip is to last one day, according to clocks in the original universe. I intended the questions to the Doc to be asked just before setting off, but they can wait til we return. Or, if they can't wait til we return, it won't matter anyway.

Go ahead, General, but be careful. The gravity gets really strong really quick. you could lose a limb sticking it in the ground like that. Come on, I'd like to see that other cavern before we head back.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2015, 07:24:13 pm »

Leave them in Fractalverse for an hour, general recon. Nothing too invasive yet.

Another probe to 1000,0,0 and 0,0,1000

Now, it's time to suit up and do a little spelunking myself.

We'll be there for thirty minutes, my tests won't take more than that.

First, analyze the sonar for five minutes. Any large, hard objects nearby?

Then, drop the LED cannonball. Watch its descent. How long does it take before we can't see the LED's?

Same thing with the ultralight sphere. I have a feeling it won't have enough punch to get 'up' very far, but it's worth a test.

And then fire the cannon! How long does it take (if at all) before the LEDs on the round disappear?

Then spend the reset of the time monitoring Sonar. Anything moving out there (aside from my own possible materials?)?

"Well, folks," Ryan says, flicking a piece of lint off his ARM-Issue clothing, "I think I'm going to go play with a big bowl of gelatin.

I don't think this universe is... Idyllic, but it is interesting at the very least. This is likely the last I'll be playing with it."

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 01, 2016, 02:28:45 am »

"Thankya. One sec."

Use the mini cutting laser in my index finger to carve our names, the date, and a little picture of us with a flag and a spaceship into the floor. Resist the urge to add anything too vulgar..

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 01, 2016, 10:37:24 pm »

Repeating the tests I did last turn.  Since you asked, there's warships in orbit around this planet, Hephaestus, probably around the jump point, and wherever else we might want them.  We built a lot of warships.

1.Message the Doctor, asking whether transferring probes within our universe is potentially dangerous.  Point out that if not, I'm going to try it.

2.If the Doctor says it isn't dangerous (but not if he says "unknown" or something), transfer a probe to a spot in front of one of our warships (and if it misses due to the 20% error, just have the warship fly over to the probe).  Inspect the probe using the warship's cam, then return the probe to base.  Review both the warship and probe's camera feeds, checking for anything anomalous or weird.

3.Assuming everything went well with 2, repeat the test, but this time with a QEC mounted on the probe.  Test if the QEC is functional, both before and after the probe returns.  Don't look  at any data that goes through either one, though--have a mook do that.

4.If everything went well with 2 (but not necessarily 5), repeat the test, but transferring the probe arpound our system multiple times before returning to base.  Everything's fine, right?

Personal

5.I talked to the council about selling sods to players.  Their opinion is that it isn't a good idea to have personal sods, as opposed to mission sods, and that it would be difficult to properly balance personal sods.  I, personally, don't like mission sods, because since they're free, they can't contribute much to the mission itself--they essentially just become scenery.  I want sods on missions actually contributing (we have thousands of them, specifically made to assist with combat!  Why can't we even have a couple participating in an entire mission?), and think the only balanced way to achieve that is personal sods; Sods which are bought with tokens, and equipped with tokens.

5 continued.  I know future missions won't be as suitable for sods as previous missions, since we'll be doing dimension hopping, but can sods have increased utility in the future?  Either mission sods actually being allowed to participate in an entire mission, or personal sods who accompany a player?

6.Do you want me to stop asking various questions about non-M26 stuff in most of my turns?  Just asking before I accidentally piss you off, causing you to detonate Saint's brain.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2016, 02:50:53 pm »

To Steve
"It is a reasonably warm universe, that seems to have highly infectious life forms within it, the video I sent in the last message shows a rabbit that came back from that universe throwing up spiders after it became ill from visiting that universe. I have since incinerated everything that came back from that universe"

Phase 3 to 7,7,7 (Vincent is TOTALLY exploring this universe provided things go well up to phase 4 [and I have specific additions to phase 4 plans to accomodate possible intelligent life forms])

Phase 1 to
4,13,09 (no matter the info we get on this verse, it's the homestuck verse)
4,20,69 (I'm immature... ok?)

>if you can weaponize that effect, it would be quite useful. But just throwing people there seems a bit silly since we can just throw them into the sun.

They come back uninjured and unchanged.

Null
The probe comes back with the appearance of having been ground against concrete; highly scuffed and scratched. Beyond that, the metal, plastic and most other materials have taken on a slightly purplish hue and, upon closer inspection, appear to have become toxic.

I realize the cavern is larger than the earth. Never mind the flyover anyway, the probes handled that well enough. The trip is to last one day, according to clocks in the original universe. I intended the questions to the Doc to be asked just before setting off, but they can wait til we return. Or, if they can't wait til we return, it won't matter anyway.

Go ahead, General, but be careful. The gravity gets really strong really quick. you could lose a limb sticking it in the ground like that. Come on, I'd like to see that other cavern before we head back.
One day huh? Alright, a few hours have passed at least already.

Leave them in Fractalverse for an hour, general recon. Nothing too invasive yet.

Another probe to 1000,0,0 and 0,0,1000

Now, it's time to suit up and do a little spelunking myself.

We'll be there for thirty minutes, my tests won't take more than that.

First, analyze the sonar for five minutes. Any large, hard objects nearby?

Then, drop the LED cannonball. Watch its descent. How long does it take before we can't see the LED's?

Same thing with the ultralight sphere. I have a feeling it won't have enough punch to get 'up' very far, but it's worth a test.

And then fire the cannon! How long does it take (if at all) before the LEDs on the round disappear?

Then spend the reset of the time monitoring Sonar. Anything moving out there (aside from my own possible materials?)?

"Well, folks," Ryan says, flicking a piece of lint off his ARM-Issue clothing, "I think I'm going to go play with a big bowl of gelatin.

I don't think this universe is... Idyllic, but it is interesting at the very least. This is likely the last I'll be playing with it."

By that I assume you mean just look around without going too far. In which case they survive but nothing really happens and they don't see anything interesting.

I'm assuming, for the probes, that you're running it through a null universe before and after sending it, as Sy said. If you don't want to do this, tell me.

The first probe returns covered in a few thin layers of what appears to be dried blood. It reaks of something awful; like corpses, vomit, feces, rotten eggs and gasoline.

The second probe returns covered in a thick, mostly clear but slightly cloudy and tan colored gel. Embedded in this gel are several dozen hard black nubs that look kind of like barnacles. As soon as it touches down in this universe

You're going to cave world right? Hence Spelunking?  No wait, you're going to goo world. Come on mang, don't do that to me.

There are a few large, solid objects within the sonar's range. Though that might just be distortion. The goo seems to thicken as it flows faster, non-Newtonian fluid apparently, so what you think are solid things far away might just be whirlpools or something.

Well it sinks relatively slowly for several minutes before apparently hitting a current and getting sucked off somewhere to the left quite quickly. It's a rather odd thing though, trying to see around here. It's like being in a super thick fog; you can barely see your own hand in front of your face. Maybe there's some hard drop off point of different strengths and wave lengths of light?

The ultralight sphere, assuming you mean it's buoyant, filled with air or helium or something, rises. It continues to rise. But very slowly. It might drift up forever...but it would take a hell of a long time to watch.

Question: Where are you when the cannon fires? Because shock transfers very well through fluids.

"Thankya. One sec."

Use the mini cutting laser in my index finger to carve our names, the date, and a little picture of us with a flag and a spaceship into the floor. Resist the urge to add anything too vulgar..
[3]
It's....well your handwriting isn't the best but you think this conveys the message well enough.

Repeating the tests I did last turn.  Since you asked, there's warships in orbit around this planet, Hephaestus, probably around the jump point, and wherever else we might want them.  We built a lot of warships.

1.Message the Doctor, asking whether transferring probes within our universe is potentially dangerous.  Point out that if not, I'm going to try it.

2.If the Doctor says it isn't dangerous (but not if he says "unknown" or something), transfer a probe to a spot in front of one of our warships (and if it misses due to the 20% error, just have the warship fly over to the probe).  Inspect the probe using the warship's cam, then return the probe to base.  Review both the warship and probe's camera feeds, checking for anything anomalous or weird.

3.Assuming everything went well with 2, repeat the test, but this time with a QEC mounted on the probe.  Test if the QEC is functional, both before and after the probe returns.  Don't look  at any data that goes through either one, though--have a mook do that.

4.If everything went well with 2 (but not necessarily 5), repeat the test, but transferring the probe arpound our system multiple times before returning to base.  Everything's fine, right?

Personal

5.I talked to the council about selling sods to players.  Their opinion is that it isn't a good idea to have personal sods, as opposed to mission sods, and that it would be difficult to properly balance personal sods.  I, personally, don't like mission sods, because since they're free, they can't contribute much to the mission itself--they essentially just become scenery.  I want sods on missions actually contributing (we have thousands of them, specifically made to assist with combat!  Why can't we even have a couple participating in an entire mission?), and think the only balanced way to achieve that is personal sods; Sods which are bought with tokens, and equipped with tokens.

5 continued.  I know future missions won't be as suitable for sods as previous missions, since we'll be doing dimension hopping, but can sods have increased utility in the future?  Either mission sods actually being allowed to participate in an entire mission, or personal sods who accompany a player?

6.Do you want me to stop asking various questions about non-M26 stuff in most of my turns?  Just asking before I accidentally piss you off, causing you to detonate Saint's brain.

I meant, how far from here, the test room, are the ships you're trying to teleport to. it determines the 20% error ratio numbers.

The doctor would warn that there IS a chance of telefrag. Not of the probe but of the ship. I mean, chances are small, you'd probably just destroy a floor or a wall somewhere, carve out a little section around the probe, but if you accidently teleported into the core or the cockpit, things might go poorly.  As such, he'd say to be "Cautious".

5.Well, why not have sods ordered per mission, belong to the entire mission group and return once their use is over? My big problem is that when you give them to an individual forever, you get stuff like what you're doing now: completely avoiding all danger via use of tokens. Even miya in his suit is still in some danger.

6. As long as they don't become annoyingly long, complex or numerious, it's fine.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2016, 03:51:23 pm »

Head into Cavern 2 through the large connection. Scan for a connection to another cavern. If a suitably large connection is found, head through into that one. looks like this is going to be an uninformative trip.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2016, 08:17:31 pm »

I'm in the ship I'm in, strapped into the pilot's chair. The gauss rifle is mounted to the top of the ship, firing directly ahead.

I did say it was a gauss rifle with a modified blunt projectile, right? Right? Oh god.

E:
and let's take a gauss rifle, preferably ship mounted, and ammunition modified to be blunt and studded with ultrabright LED's. Push-to-fire, one round, directly in front of the ship.
It is a gauss rifle with modified projectile.
[/b]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:11:09 pm by Gentlefish »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2016, 09:02:08 pm »

Follow Dester. Try to gauge the width of this cavern. If I shot a grappling call straight "up", could it reach the other end?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2016, 09:03:52 pm »

Help supervise the tests while so many other people are in one of the alternate universes, I guess?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2016, 11:02:11 pm »

Put a few rabbits in a air tight (but oxygenated [and any other concern in a vacuum taken care of]) container, as completely sealed off as possible, and then send it into the Spiderverse (4,20,69) for an hour. Do this in a testing room that doesn't need to be used for at least a week, and make sure this room is hooked up for cameras, and once the container is back, have it send video feed to the same room that is recieving the test room footage... monitor, also, send a camera probe to one of the massive yarn ball like objects with the intent of hitting it if time permits

Send a camera probe to fractalverse for the length of a day, have it programmed to head towards the lights, also have it programmed to fly around and not bump into anything once reaching the source of the lights (7,7,7)

Phase 2 to 420-yod(die)o-verse (4,20,69)

Weaponization testing phase is GO!

((

Phase 1 suggestions for twinwolf:

))
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:11:17 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2016, 11:06:22 am »

This vanished:

The second probe returns covered in a thick, mostly clear but slightly cloudy and tan colored gel. Embedded in this gel are several dozen hard black nubs that look kind of like barnacles. As soon as it touches down in this universe the black barnacles shrivel and the gel blooms a brilliant green, as thick tubeworm-like growths start sprouting out in all directions. The probe is damaged, bent and twisted by the force of sudden growth of roots and silicate shells. Within a few moments the probe looks more like an alien chia pet then an exploration device. The Tapeworm things growing off the top of the probe appear to be puffing out clouds of yellow-green dust.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2016, 02:50:42 pm »

1.Third time's the charm...  The target locations for the probe are all about one AU away from the planet the facility is on, which gives us an error margin of about thirty million kilometers.  We'll have five warships sit around the area, and hope they don't get telefragged 'cause they take up such an infinitesimally small percentage of the area.  Saint's warship will stay on the opposite side of the planet.  Also, the planet our lab is on is 49 AU away from the star, and 10 AU away from the next planet.

2.Transfer a probe to a spot between the five stationed warships (and if it misses due to the 20% error, just have a warship fly over to the probe).  Inspect the probe using a warship's cam, then return the probe to base.  Review both the warship and probe's camera feeds, checking for anything anomalous or weird.

4.If everything went well with 2 (but not necessarily 3), repeat the test, but transferring the probe around our system multiple times before returning to base.  Everything's fine, right?

Chia Xeno:

5.That chia monster coating that was just brought in--was it not activated by our safety SOP for initial exploration of universes?  Note that one of the steps is to shoot the probe with a small cannonball, in case a kinetic shock activates the xeno scum.

6.Before, we've just ejected/destroyed(?) test rooms with dangerous stuff in it.  This doesn't seem to warrant that, but is there any limit to the number of test rooms we have?  Do we have a sort of HP?

7.What sort of emergency systems do we have in the test rooms?  The same as the old subject housing/experiment rooms on Hephaestus? (see spoiler below)

8.What sort of sensors do we have?  I would very much like to know what that yellow-green dust is made of.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2016, 12:48:21 pm »

Head into Cavern 2 through the large connection. Scan for a connection to another cavern. If a suitably large connection is found, head through into that one. looks like this is going to be an uninformative trip.
Cavern two appears to connect to several other caverns as well. You can see strange sorts of patterns and materials in the walls of this cavern; unlike the other which was a mostly uniform gray, this one has patches of blue and red and yellow and white and other mostly dull but different colors. Closer inspection reveals these to be enormous mineral deposits. There's a field of sapphire with a surface area greater than the continental United States.

I'm in the ship I'm in, strapped into the pilot's chair. The gauss rifle is mounted to the top of the ship, firing directly ahead.

I did say it was a gauss rifle with a modified blunt projectile, right? Right? Oh god.

E:
and let's take a gauss rifle, preferably ship mounted, and ammunition modified to be blunt and studded with ultrabright LED's. Push-to-fire, one round, directly in front of the ship.
It is a gauss rifle with modified projectile.
[/b]
It's more the shock of the thing hitting the goo that I was interested in. Funny thing about shockwaves in water or fluid analogs is that they have this nasty habit of propagating through flesh and causing massive pulmonary damage, basically shredding the lungs.

So what happens when you fire the ball is that the ball hits the goo and there is a great big boom. The cannon ball shatters into pieces like a bullet hitting water, the ship jerks about horribly as the shockwave rolls through it and the goo around it, and you break your nose when you bang your head against a panel.

Follow Dester. Try to gauge the width of this cavern. If I shot a grappling call straight "up", could it reach the other end?
I don't know what the hell you're saying.

Help supervise the tests while so many other people are in one of the alternate universes, I guess?
You stand behind important people and nod your head knowingly.

Put a few rabbits in a air tight (but oxygenated [and any other concern in a vacuum taken care of]) container, as completely sealed off as possible, and then send it into the Spiderverse (4,20,69) for an hour. Do this in a testing room that doesn't need to be used for at least a week, and make sure this room is hooked up for cameras, and once the container is back, have it send video feed to the same room that is recieving the test room footage... monitor, also, send a camera probe to one of the massive yarn ball like objects with the intent of hitting it if time permits

Send a camera probe to fractalverse for the length of a day, have it programmed to head towards the lights, also have it programmed to fly around and not bump into anything once reaching the source of the lights (7,7,7)

Phase 2 to 420-yod(die)o-verse (4,20,69)

Weaponization testing phase is GO!

((

Phase 1 suggestions for twinwolf:

))

Well the rabbits still get infected with spiders. Letting it run the natural course has them vomiting up spiders before a spider the size of your head tears its way out of their body. The spiders begin wandering around the room and soon begin messing with the door controls to the exit.

The camera probe thing brings the realization that the yarn balls are actually planet sized.

As it gets nearer to the lights, the probe gets footage what appear to be living things. The look metallic, but amorphous, like globs of mercury the size of a small minivan. Coming out of this amorphous body are what look like solid metal limbs, as though there were a robotic skeleton under that Amoeba-like exterior. The things are crawling about on the surface of the lattice, though to what end you can't tell. The light appears to be coming from large collections of these creatures which are banded together near strange whirling, glowing sections of the lattice. You can't tell what they do, but they appear to be throwing out a heck of a lot of energy.  The blobs ignore your probe, or perhaps they can't see it?

The probe comes back, scuffed up and poisonous, and the critters come back dead.

1.Third time's the charm...  The target locations for the probe are all about one AU away from the planet the facility is on, which gives us an error margin of about thirty million kilometers.  We'll have five warships sit around the area, and hope they don't get telefragged 'cause they take up such an infinitesimally small percentage of the area.  Saint's warship will stay on the opposite side of the planet.  Also, the planet our lab is on is 49 AU away from the star, and 10 AU away from the next planet.

2.Transfer a probe to a spot between the five stationed warships (and if it misses due to the 20% error, just have a warship fly over to the probe).  Inspect the probe using a warship's cam, then return the probe to base.  Review both the warship and probe's camera feeds, checking for anything anomalous or weird.

4.If everything went well with 2 (but not necessarily 3), repeat the test, but transferring the probe around our system multiple times before returning to base.  Everything's fine, right?

Chia Xeno:

5.That chia monster coating that was just brought in--was it not activated by our safety SOP for initial exploration of universes?  Note that one of the steps is to shoot the probe with a small cannonball, in case a kinetic shock activates the xeno scum.

6.Before, we've just ejected/destroyed(?) test rooms with dangerous stuff in it.  This doesn't seem to warrant that, but is there any limit to the number of test rooms we have?  Do we have a sort of HP?

7.What sort of emergency systems do we have in the test rooms?  The same as the old subject housing/experiment rooms on Hephaestus? (see spoiler below)

8.What sort of sensors do we have?  I would very much like to know what that yellow-green dust is made of.
Ok, you teleport it away.  It seems to go fine; the probe shows no signs of damage and the warship can't see anything wrong with it.

QEC does seem to function before and after too.

Yep, everything's fine.

Nope, it went through a null universe and all first just as you said to. Guess maybe it survived but didn't act? Hard to say, eh? Least not without the probe's data. According to the camera footage from the other probe though, it seems like it grew those black barnacles in the null universe.

Well, we have 10 set up right now, the only real limit is that if you destroy them all in quick succession it will take a bit to rebuild them.

Basically those, yeah.

We have a pretty good array of sensors. We can tell you the dust is organic, room temp, seemingly carbon based and following air currents. It appears, from what we can see, to be pollen or something like it.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 54