Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: Legends Viewer (Maintained Branch) 1.20.08 | DF 0.47.XX  (Read 225900 times)

Voxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.14.02 (0.42.XX Compatible) Unoffical Branch
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2015, 07:07:34 am »

I think the best option is to rewrite a large section of the map code, The design is not incompatible with multiple alternate maps, but it would be a duct tape style solution. I'd rather just create a more modular pattern for maps and map features, so I'm going to take a stab at that method. In the mean time I have some other smaller ideas I'd also like to work on, so I'll probably split the time I work on this 50/50 over working on maps and some other small changes.
Yeah a map overhaul would be great! If you take this into your hands I'll stay away from this part.

Parker talked about rewriting maps, charts, and figuring out a winforms solution to legend pages, none of which are small changes. I feel like maps needs the least amount of work to become fully modular, so it seems like the best place to start.
I am not so sure if changing everything into WinForms is still a good idea. WinForms is (except for a few bugfixes) abandoned by Microsoft for years.

Hurmm, that's something to think on then, it's a huge overhaul either way, perhaps a better idea might be an opensource explorer replacement like webkit? That's still a huge overhaul however.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2015, 01:23:23 pm »

As some of you may have already seen. I released Version 1.14.02 today!

Changelog 1.14.02:

# World Stats + Populations + Artifacts

### World Stats
* Added a chart for civilized world populations
* Split civ-list into current and fallen civilizations
* Added population and site count information for each civilization

This looks really cool Kromtec, nicely done!

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2016, 02:57:02 am »

I recognize that you're quick to give credit to Parker147, but thanks for continuing this Kromtec!

In regards to the program, I keep getting script errors. I'm positive it's because I don't have IE anything installed and you clearly state, "To display the new population chart correctly you will need IE9+ rather than IE7+ as previously."

It still works well enough (I just don't get the fancy graphs, etc), but I hope there is a way to turn off the script error from popping up every time I navigate to a page in the program. Most of the instructions I've read point me to turn it off in IE (not installed) and I did "Disable script debugging (Other)" under Internet Properties > Advanced > Browsing to no effect.

It's a minor annoyance to an otherwise great program.

Thanks again regardless!
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2016, 04:48:04 pm »

This looks really cool Kromtec, nicely done!

Thanks, Mason11987! Big fan of your viewer too  :)

I recognize that you're quick to give credit to Parker147, but thanks for continuing this Kromtec!

In regards to the program, I keep getting script errors. I'm positive it's because I don't have IE anything installed and you clearly state, "To display the new population chart correctly you will need IE9+ rather than IE7+ as previously."

It still works well enough (I just don't get the fancy graphs, etc), but I hope there is a way to turn off the script error from popping up every time I navigate to a page in the program. Most of the instructions I've read point me to turn it off in IE (not installed) and I did "Disable script debugging (Other)" under Internet Properties > Advanced > Browsing to no effect.

It's a minor annoyance to an otherwise great program.

Thanks again regardless!

Fixed in the next version by suppressing script errors for the WebBrowser control.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2016, 09:09:21 pm »

Fixed in the next version by suppressing script errors for the WebBrowser control.

Awesome! I really appreciate it.

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
The Delvers' Podcast

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.15.00 (0.42.XX Compatible) Unoffical Branch
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2016, 05:20:05 pm »

Now that was a big one! Version 1.15.00 is released!  :D
Big THX to Voxus who contributed a lot of cool things and fixes this release!
and also to all people involved in making the exportlegends.lua script. It is awesome!

Support for DFHacks' legends_plus.xml!
This will make a lot of "UNKNOWN" stuff go away...

Getting the data from Dwarf Fortress:
If you are already playing a fort or adventure on the save you want to use, you need to:
* Make a copy of your save!!!
* Abandon or retire your fortress/adventure on the copy
* Enter DF legends mode on the copy

Recommended: (requires DFHack which is usually included in Lazy Newb Pack)
1. Enter DF legends mode on the save you want to export
2. Switch to the DFHack window
3. Enter the command `exportlegends info` and press enter
  * this command generates all files you need and an additional file with the ending legends_plus.xml
  * the legends_plus.xml file contains a lot of information that is missing if you export via the old way

Or use the old way:
1. Enter Legends Mode.
2. Export the XML `(x)`
3. Export Map/Gen Information `(p)`
4. (Optional) Export Additional Detailed Maps `(d)`

* (Optional) Archive/Compress files

Troubleshooting:
In the current version (DFHack 0.42.04-alpha1) of the DFHack exportlegends.lua script are two known bugs:
  • Exporting an abandoned or retired fortress will generate a legends_plus.xml file with a datestamp that is one day ahead of the other generated files.
    Can be manually fixed by changing the datestamp in the filename according to the other files generated.
  • Exporting a save with an already played adventurer may generate an invalid legends_plus.xml file in some rare cases.
    Can be manually fixed by deleting all lines that contain "<vector<int32_t>:" in the legends_plus.xml file.

Changelog:
# Support for DFHacks' LegendsPlus XML

### DFHack LegendsPlus XML Support
* Lots and lots of additional information for existing event log texts.
* Added World Constuctions (roads, bridges, ...) to event log texts.
* Added Structures in Sites to event log texts.
* Additional infos for Artifacts.
* Reputation infos for Historical Figures.
* Type infos for Entites (Religons, bandit groups, performance troupes, ...)

### New Events
* Site Retired
* First Contact
* Agreement Concluded
* Historical Figure Reaches Summit
* Artifact Transformed
* Masterpiece Dye
* + some of the already existing events never appeared in the event log
  * because they were never properly linked to other objects like entities, sites, ...
  * thanks to the additional legends_plus.xml information they are now visible

### New Event Collection
* Purge

### Skill Display:
* Update to historical figure skills display. THX Voxus
  * This updates skills from a regular list into a nicer inline block list styled to be similar to dwarf therapist.
  * Along with the updated display, skills are now compared against the skills token table and the correct name is extracted rather than a reformatted token.
  * Skill groups are now ordered by the number of skills in a group and properly top align.

### New Death Causes
* flying object
* slaughtered
* melted

### Breed Information
* Added breed info for historical animals like beak dogs if available.

### Bugfixes:
* Fixes to historical figure curse filtering. THX Voxus
* Fixed a crash related to civilisations lost to the end of stream. THX Voxus
* Proper tracking of werebeast bites
* Fixed a crash that occured when clicking on heatmap overlays on the world map.
* Solved entity parent conflicts. (subgroups of groups of groups of civilization, ...)
* Lots of NullReferenceException Handling in event log texts.

### Tweaks
* Support for modded civilizations, no more hardcoded races or racecolors.
* Lots of event log texts improved.
* Make population string plural. Simplified code + fixes. THX Voxus
* Suppress javascript errors in WebBrowser control.
* remember alternate map and opacity after navigating to another page and then back to the map

**Note:**
_The new legends_plus.xml features require [DFHack](https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases) which is usually included in [Lazy Newb Pack](http://lazynewbpack.com/) for exporting the additional XML file!_
_Since v1.14.02: To display the new population chart correctly you will need IE9+ rather than IE7+ as previously._
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:22:59 pm by Kromtec »

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 06:38:25 am »

Now that was a big one! Version 1.15.00 is released!  :D

This is incredible. I am looking forward to using this!
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 09:34:43 am »

Excellent! Much better breakdown of my slightly modded world with this new version. OP Minotaurs rule the planet while goblins and humans struggle for second place.

Got a big bunch of errors when exporting legends_plus file mentioning vector<int32_t but waited a while and it seemed to work. There don't seem to be any lines in the xml with that in it though. Loads OK with no extra work.

The rescue of my prisoners doesn't show up in my adventurers event log. Is that just something legends can't export yet?

Also, minor detail, but Legends Mode mentions that a prisoner 'escaped' from her prison, but in Legends Viewer says she was 'released'. Also her goal is apparently 'maintain entity status'. What does that mean!?

Skills with square boxes is kind of weird. It's pretty confusing for anyone not familiar with dwarf therapist. How big is good? How big do boxes get? Talented, skilled, grandmaster, etc is surely more informative? Color coding is nice though.

Excellent work so far. I use Legends Viewer a lot in planning my DF campaigns, so really enjoy the updates!

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 12:57:21 pm »

Skills with square boxes is kind of weird. It's pretty confusing for anyone not familiar with dwarf therapist. How big is good? How big do boxes get? Talented, skilled, grandmaster, etc is surely more informative? Color coding is nice though.

I agree with this sentiment. I am not a user of Dwarf Therapist although I would guess that the bigger the box the better. The organization is nice, but the boxes are meaningless outside of a Therapist user.

I see you can painstakingly mouse over each skill for more detail, but at a glance the size of the box doesn't parse efficiently (again, unless you are familiar with Therapist). As Shonai_Dweller mentioned, how small is Dabbling? How large is Legendary? Even with a size legend of sorts, why force the user to conform to a method the game doesn't even use?

Describing the skill just like the game does has more universal appeal, since no matter how you play the game or what external tools you use or don't use that is how the skills read in the game. Not to mention you could see the entire skill set levels at once without having to mouse over each one (Ack!).

To curb my criticism, thank you once again for all of the hard work. Sincerely.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:01:44 pm by burned »

The Delvers
The Delvers' Podcast

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 02:24:29 pm »

Excellent! Much better breakdown of my slightly modded world with this new version. OP Minotaurs rule the planet while goblins and humans struggle for second place.

Got a big bunch of errors when exporting legends_plus file mentioning vector<int32_t but waited a while and it seemed to work. There don't seem to be any lines in the xml with that in it though. Loads OK with no extra work.
The errors in the DFHack console window don't seem to harm the generated xml. But in some rare cases such a vector value finds its way into the xml.
The issue is known and noted on DFHacks' Github page.

The rescue of my prisoners doesn't show up in my adventurers event log. Is that just something legends can't export yet?

Also, minor detail, but Legends Mode mentions that a prisoner 'escaped' from her prison, but in Legends Viewer says she was 'released'. Also her goal is apparently 'maintain entity status'. What does that mean!?
I loaded lots and lots of worlds and tried to put every information I found into the program. But I am sure that in worlds played in adventure mode and in old fortresses there are plenty of events I haven't encountered in my tests.

If the log in the sidebar shows heaps of "Unknown event: ... " or "Unknown property: ...", then please zip the save and upload it to http://dffd.bay12games.com/index.php so I can incorporate this information.
The 'escaped' vs. 'released' discrepancy can be based on me interpreting the status change to "Former Prisoner" of a historical figure wrong. Because I had no example in DF legends mode.  :)

Excellent work so far. I use Legends Viewer a lot in planning my DF campaigns, so really enjoy the updates!
I agree with this sentiment. I am not a user of Dwarf Therapist although I would guess that the bigger the box the better. The organization is nice, but the boxes are meaningless outside of a Therapist user.

I see you can painstakingly mouse over each skill for more detail, but at a glance the size of the box doesn't parse efficiently (again, unless you are familiar with Therapist). As Shonai_Dweller mentioned, how small is Dabbling? How large is Legendary? Even with a size legend of sorts, why force the user to conform to a method the game doesn't even use?

Describing the skill just like the game does has more universal appeal, since no matter how you play the game or what external tools you use or don't use that is how the skills read in the game. Not to mention you could see the entire skill set levels at once without having to mouse over each one (Ack!).

To curb my criticism, thank you once again for all of the hard work. Sincerely.

Sorry, I talked Voxus into using the Dwarf Therapist symbolism.  :o
I will additionally show the text description of the skill level in the next version. For now you can hover over the skills to see a detailed description as burned said.

And for all who aren't familiar with Dwarf Therapist:
The box gets bigger the greater the skill level and legendary skills have a diamond symbol.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2016, 06:23:47 pm »

I think the square thing works fine in Therapist. You're playing the game, you want to glance at a list of 100 Dorfs and spot the one with the highest soapmaking skill as quickly as possible so you can get back to playing.

But, consider your target audience for a moment. When browsing historical characters, 'who killed who and when', 'who's related to who', is information that you may want at a quick glance so you can quickly work through several characters. Legends Viewer has this up top, very accessible, very useful.

But, finding an interesting character and thinking, 'but can he make soap?' is the point where you slow down and start studying the character in detail. At that point, you don't need a quick visual aid. You want to read and become involved and visualise the character in your mind. Legendary soapmaker, Dabbling swordsdwarf creates an image of a dwarf who dreams of a more exciting life.

One day in the far future, you may be able to play historical characters as adventurers. At that point a quick glance chart might be handy as you flick through many potential candidates looking for the one with the right balance of skills.

williamjcm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2016, 02:55:26 pm »

Thanks for continuing the development of Legends Viewer, but I have a major bug when running the app using Mono under Linux.

When I want to load a legends.xml or legends_plus.xml, the app crashes with the following error message (taken from the terminal):
Code: [Select]
System.ArgumentException: Path is empty
  at System.IO.Path.Validate (System.String path, System.String parameterName) <0xb55659b0 + 0x000cd> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.Path.Validate (System.String path) <0xb5565970 + 0x00027> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.Directory.ValidateDirectoryListing (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, System.Boolean& stop) <0xb5555510 + 0x0002d> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.Directory.GetFileSystemEntries (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, FileAttributes mask, FileAttributes attrs) <0xb5555780 + 0x00061> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) <0xb5554bb0 + 0x00034> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path) <0xb5554b70 + 0x00027> in <filename unknown>:0
  at LegendsViewer.FileLoader.LocateOtherFiles (System.String xmlFile) <0xaefaab08 + 0x002c7> in <filename unknown>:0
  at LegendsViewer.FileLoader.AttemptLoadFrom (System.String file) <0xaefaaa20 + 0x0006b> in <filename unknown>:0
  at LegendsViewer.FileLoader.XMLClick (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) <0xaefa9ea8 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick (System.EventArgs e) <0xb1b050e0 + 0x00056> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick (System.EventArgs e) <0xb1b05070 + 0x0004b> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.OnMouseUp (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs mevent) <0xb1b65d88 + 0x00118> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs mevent) <0xb1b65d60 + 0x00017> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmLButtonUp (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) <0xb1b65b38 + 0x00124> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) <0xb3197660 + 0x001c3> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) <0xb1ba4050 + 0x0005f> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) <0xb1ba4028 + 0x00017> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) <0xb3197640 + 0x0001d> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) <0xb3197610 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) <0xb3196248 + 0x002cb> in <filename unknown>:0

This problem does not happen when loading the world_map.bmp, world_history.txt or world_sites_and_pops.txt.

I use Debian "sid" (unstable branch), and the mono-complete (version 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-5) metapackage (that installs Mono and most of the libraries, including System.Windows.Forms).
Sorry if I make English mistakes. I'm French.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2016, 07:17:34 am »

I just added a ton of issues to the Github page Kromtec. Some are bugs and some are feature requests. Please take a look when you have time.  :D
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2016, 01:45:37 pm »

I just added a ton of issues to the Github page Kromtec. Some are bugs and some are feature requests. Please take a look when you have time.  :D

Thanks for taking the time to report all these issues!

Thanks for continuing the development of Legends Viewer, but I have a major bug when running the app using Mono under Linux.

As far as I know there are lots and lots of issues when trying to run Legends Viewer with Mono.

Try LegendsBrowser as a multi-platform alternative.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2016, 09:07:03 am »

Noticed this while browsing competitions:

The history of Itni Dashedorgan - competitive bard:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I didn't notice the second line at first and thought it was pretty funny that Itni was beaten repeatedly by his apprentice and finally got rid of him. Checking Legends reveals that in 49 Itni actually ceased being the apprentice of Thudu Strifeulnourished, not the master.

Competition is 'involving the Berry of Lyrics" according to Legends. Is it possible to get the poetic and musical forms yet? Everything's listed as "UNKNOWN POETIC CONTENT" right now. Some, but not all of the books are "UNKNOWN CONTENT" too for some reason (using Dfhack legends-plus xml)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31