Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008675 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #300 on: January 20, 2016, 11:10:23 am »

There's plenty of Christian bible verses about just war and the like, and taking up the sword, usually in defense of Christianity. Islam goes into a bit more detail on the subject, and is currently primarily based in rather poor, strife-torn regions, which leads unsurprisingly to violent interpretations. Plus the whole 'very traditional culture focused on one's history and family' which easily leads to resentment for things from several hundred years ago or more, and means any change introduced by outsiders (or insiders, for that matter) is liable to be viewed with extreme hostility.

As for settlement of America....Gold, God, and Glory. Spain had plenty of religious reasons riding alongside those socio-economic reasons. (and I would be disappointed if you said you thought Mid-Eastern Islam's current behavior/stance was purely because of the nature of the religion and had nothing to do with similar socio-economic stuff(and no, that doesn't justify it, which I always end up having to say))

Oh and Christianity is ideologically violent against other ideologies even if it isn't inherently physically violent. Missionaries and 'God is the One True God, and there is no God but He' is an act of war, ideologically speaking. Wouldn't have gotten so popular/stayed mostly the same, otherwise, really.

Buddha was prince, Loud Whisper :P you sayin Buddha was more violent than Jesus? Do we need to have a peace-off here? Gandhi will wreck you shit scrub he's so peaceful get nukd m8

Aren't there also bible verses in the opposite direction? Like swords to plowshares?

Edit: I think this has gotten derailed into the 'religion and spirituality' threads territory.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:14:03 am by smjjames »

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 20, 2016, 11:12:27 am »

Every ideology that has survived past its inception has incorporated violence as a method of self-preservation against ideologies antagonistic to it and heresies.  While there is certainly a degree of difference between Islam and most other modern religions, that difference is simply because modern Islam is significantly more invasive in society and thus it has more antagonistic to it ideologies and heresies to combat. A matter of scale.

So you're saying there's not a world of difference between:

"If you leave Islam, you are not innocent."
Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"
Quran (5:33) - "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement"
Qur'an (4:89) - "They wish that you should disbelieve as they disbelieve, and then you would be equal; therefore take not to yourselves friends of them, until they emigrate in the way of God; then, if they turn their backs, take them, and slay them wherever you find them; take not to yourselves any one of them as friend or helper."
Qur'an (9:11-12) - "But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then are they your brethren in religion. We detail Our revelations for a people who have knowledge. And if they break their pledges after their treaty (hath been made with you) and assail your religion, then fight the heads of disbelief - Lo! they have no binding oaths - in order that they may desist."
Bukhari (52:260) - "...The Prophet said, 'If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.' "
As well as: Qur'an verses 2:217, 9:73-74, 88:21, 5:54, and 9:66.
If you are a homosexual, you are not innocent.
al-Tirmidhi, Sunan 1:152 - [Muhammad said] "Whoever is found conducting himself in the manner of the people of Lot, kill the doer and the receiver."
Qur'an (7:80-84)- "...For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds.... And we rained down on them a shower (of brimstone)"
If you are a man and dresses like a woman, you are not innocent.
Bukhari (72:774) - "The Prophet cursed effeminate men (those men who are in the similitude (assume the manners of women) and those women who assume the manners of men, and he said, 'Turn them out of your houses .' The Prophet turned out such-and-such man, and 'Umar turned out such-and-such woman."
If you criticize Allah, his prophets and his friends, you are not innocent.
Qur'an (33:57) - "Lo! those who malign Allah and His messenger, Allah hath cursed them in this world and the Hereafter, and hath prepared for them the doom of the disdained... accursed, they will be seized wherever found and slain with a (fierce) slaughter."
Bukhari (59:369) This verse outlines some of what is mentioned elsewhere in this thread. The murder of a Jewish poet who wrote a poem which insulted Mohammed because it mocked Muslims.
If you disbelieve Allah (pretty much everyone in this subreddit), you are not innocent.
This is already covered pretty extensively in my first few quotes as well. "Non-believers" typically relates to atheists, but can also mean people not of the book or even in some cases Jews/Christians. "Hypocrites" is generally the term for apostates or those who don't adhere to clearly set out rules and "fight in the way of Allah" (Which is why there's so many Muslim to Muslim murders). Both are pretty clearly described as non-innocents though:
Quran (33:60-62) -"If the hypocrites, and those in whose hearts is a disease, and the alarmists in the city do not cease, We verily shall urge thee on against them, then they will be your neighbors in it but a little while. Accursed, they will be seized wherever found and slain with a (fierce) slaughter."

And Sikhism's "don't let anyone be forcibly converted nearby"?

I really don't think you know as much about Islam as you claim to do. You don't know anything about it, in fact.

P.S. I'd highly advise you to look up Jainism.

Aren't there also bible verses in the opposite direction? Like swords to plowshares?

There's quite a lot of peaceful Christian quotes, as well as no clear method of abrogation in Christianity. Compared with Islam's abrogation (the last verse is the true one and all earlier ones are essentially rendered null), it's a whole different board game.

Combine that with the Bible being converted from Aramaic -> Greek -> Latin -> Everything else and you've got a mess of possibly interpretations. Islam doesn't have that because Islam's ideology is inherently pure. As Erdogan said, "Islam is Islam".

Erdogan is not a good source to quote, he says and does some pretty screwed up shit:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/default.aspx?pageid=438&n=a-muslim-can-never-commit-genocide-erdogan-defends-bashir-2009-11-08
The statement came hours after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan defended al-Bashir’s visit by saying, “A Muslim can never commit genocide.”

He's about as credible on the subject of muslims as a holocaust denier is on WWII.

There's the thing, though. He's right. If Muslims aren't genociding other Muslims, it's not genocide under Sharia law.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 20, 2016, 11:15:54 am »

Erdogan is an insane guy who also claims no muslim every committed genocide. He's not a credible source.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 20, 2016, 11:17:53 am »

Erdogan is an insane guy who also claims no muslim every committed genocide. He's not a credible source.

He's right in that a Muslim cannot commit genocide under Sharia law. You can interpret it how you like, but he's sound in his beliefs.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 20, 2016, 11:20:09 am »

Here you are making a direct comparison, stating that modern Islam (which has caused the genocide of at least a few hundred thousand in the past few years, at least judging by the rapidly falling Kurdish and Yazidi populations) is not as bad as something that happened centuries ago. Nevermind the essential enslaving of women in most of the Middle-East or anything, just the Kurdish genocides.
Get your facts str8, m8. The truth is that modern Islam has single-handedly – without any help from western countries – caused the genocide of at least a few hundred million innocent civilians in the past few years, and at least 99.99% of the victims have been light-skinned non-Muslim women and children. This is the one and only Truth – you may not be ready to accept it yet, but eventually you'll have to.

Although you still sound like you're partly plugged into the Matrix, I'm pleased to see that you're heading in the right direction, fam. Keep fighting the Good Fight, 14/88.

well i'm not the fish you're looking for
Based nullBolt has exposed you as the puny progressive weakling that you are. Your soppy slavic nationalism is clearly not stronk enough to fight off the barbarian hordes and protect your fatherland.

You need to up your game and start lifting, m88.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 20, 2016, 11:21:02 am »

Stop with the shitposting :P

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 20, 2016, 11:23:04 am »

Here you are making a direct comparison, stating that modern Islam (which has caused the genocide of at least a few hundred thousand in the past few years, at least judging by the rapidly falling Kurdish and Yazidi populations) is not as bad as something that happened centuries ago. Nevermind the essential enslaving of women in most of the Middle-East or anything, just the Kurdish genocides.
Get your facts str8, m8. The truth is that modern Islam has single-handedly – without any help from western countries – caused the genocide of at least a few hundred million innocent civilians in the past few years, and at least 99.99% of the victims have been light-skinned non-Muslim women and children. This is the one and only Truth – you may not be ready to accept it yet, but eventually you'll have to.

Although you still sound like you're partly plugged into the Matrix, I'm pleased to see that you're heading in the right direction, fam. Keep fighting the Good Fight, 14/88.

well i'm not the fish you're looking for
Based nullBolt has exposed you as the puny progressive weakling that you are. Your soppy slavic nationalism is clearly not stronk enough to fight off the barbarian hordes and protect your fatherland.

You need to up your game and start lifting, m88.

I do genuinely find it kind of disgusting you're making light of the Yazidi and Kurdish genocides. I mean, fuck, the Yazidis are fleeing to Somalia to escape from being butchered but it's fine because no one cares about Zoroastrians.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 20, 2016, 11:24:42 am »

The concept "all muslims are exactly the same" is not credible. Not all muslims are ISIS supporters, and not all of them want to live under a theocracy. It's a minority of muslims who advocate for more extreme laws, the sheer bulk of those populations don't even want to know about it.

You can ask "well why don't more of them rise up to stop the others then?", but you have the same thing in any number of populations. Lot's of catholics did nothing about the IRA for example, and it wasn't really that long ago that "The Irish are all bloodthirsty monsters out to kill us" was a thing.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 20, 2016, 11:27:07 am »

The concept "all muslims are exactly the same" is not credible. Not all muslims are ISIS supporters, and not all of them want to live under a theocracy. It's a minority of muslims who advocate for more extreme laws, the sheer bulk of those populations don't even want to know about it.

You can ask "well why don't more of them rise up to stop the others then?", but you have the same thing in any number of populations. Lot's of catholics did nothing about the IRA for example, and it wasn't really that long ago that "The Irish are all bloodthirsty monsters out to kill us" was a thing.

Dude, did you even read the PEW statistics a few pages back? Have you read anything posted in this thread?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 20, 2016, 11:27:19 am »

Every ideology that has survived past its inception has incorporated violence as a method of self-preservation against ideologies antagonistic to it and heresies.  While there is certainly a degree of difference between Islam and most other modern religions, that difference is simply because modern Islam is significantly more invasive in society and thus it has more antagonistic to it ideologies and heresies to combat. A matter of scale.

So you're saying there's not a world of difference between:

-snip-

And Sikhism's "don't let anyone be forcibly converted nearby"?

I really don't think you know as much about Islam as you claim to do. You don't know anything about it, in fact.

P.S. I'd highly advise you to look up Jainism.
"So you're saying there's not a world of difference between:"
"modern Islam is significantly more invasive in society and thus it has more antagonistic to it ideologies and heresies to combat. A matter of scale."

Wow, it's almost like I've said the exact same thing!

P.S. Please try to read past the first line, you're rapidly approaching the stereotypical-American-if-you-believe-Russian-propaganda level. I mean seriously do you even europe or are you just failing to pretend
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 20, 2016, 11:29:17 am »

Folks please chill down a bit
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 20, 2016, 11:30:27 am »

"So you're saying there's not a world of difference between:"
"modern Islam is significantly more invasive in society and thus it has more antagonistic to it ideologies and heresies to combat. A matter of scale."

Wow, it's almost like I've said the exact same thing!

P.S. Please try to read past the first line, you're rapidly approaching the stereotypical-American-if-you-believe-Russian-propaganda level. I mean seriously do you even europe or are you just failing to pretend

The point I was making is that Islam has a lot of quotes to do with murdering and killing people who disagree with it. Trying to find this amount of passages in Buddhism or Christianity is literally impossible.

As an example, this is a quote to do with the killing of unbelievers who don't convert:
191. And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah (disbelief / persecution) is worse than killing. And fight not with them at Al-Masjid-al-Haram (the sanctuary at Makkah), unless they (first) fight you there. But if they attack you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 20, 2016, 11:35:08 am »

This has long since been derailed right into the 'religion and spirituality' thread, maybe it should be moved there?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 20, 2016, 11:36:45 am »

OI both of you, leave the discussion for a few hours, calm down a few notches and come back. The thread is supposed to be friendly and polite EU News Thread not "people ripping out each others throats over semantics thread."

Plus otherwise it gets locked again, which i find annoying since i get most of the european news here, because you folsk dig up stuff from all sides.
So thanks for the news bits, please calm down a bit...and i think Yazidis are not Zoroastrians...weren't Yazidis the guys with the peacock demon who was Satan and was supposed to be good? Or am i mashing up several other faiths now.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 20, 2016, 11:38:52 am »

Something more relevant to the thread: Facebook going to monitor and censor "hate speech" in Germany from now on.

I wonder what hate speech means in this particular case. I wonder if criticising Merkel is going to be counted as hatespeech. ::)

OI both of you, leave the discussion for a few hours, calm down a few notches and come back. The thread is supposed to be friendly and polite EU News Thread not "people ripping out each others throats over semantics thread."

Plus otherwise it gets locked again, which i find annoying since i get most of the european news here, because you folsk dig up stuff from all sides.
So thanks for the news bits, please calm down a bit...and i think Yazidis are not Zoroastrians...weren't Yazidis the guys with the peacock demon who was Satan and was supposed to be good? Or am i mashing up several other faiths now.

Yazidis are a heresy of Zoroastrianism, as I understand it. :p

EDIT: Apparently I was wrong on this. It's more a related religion rather than a descendent of Zoroastrianism.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 793