Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008012 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #555 on: January 29, 2016, 03:29:49 pm »

Damn, I liked Bouchart. He will be missed.

In non-refugee related news, The EU announced measures yesterday intended to combat tax evasion by multinational corporations. The measures seem to have come about mostly because of the abuses of tech companies, but others will be affected by the changes as well. I honestly couldn't be happier, they siphon a lot of money out of a lot of the places they do business in.
It is a step in the right direction, albeit a mild one. Tax evasion will still be profitable, just slightly less so.
My newspaper printed an example situation given by Oxfam Novib: Say, a multinational has it's headquarters in Bulgaria. In that country, there's a 10% company tax. With the new rules, only then, when a subsidiary company pays less than 40% of Bulgaria's national rate, which in this case would be, only if it pays less than 4% tax, can Bulgaria make the subsidiary company pay taxes. This implies that the taxing competition between states basically continues as it was. Oxfam Novib proposes to instead agree on a minimum company tax for all member states.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/economie/kritiek-op-brusselse-plannen-belastingontwijking~a4234279/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:32:49 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 30, 2016, 08:06:24 am »

In the Dutch city of Enschede, the city council decided to cancel a public meeting between the council and it's citizen's, because, according to mayor Onno van Veldhuizen, "sadly, we cannot ensure public order and the safety of the meeting sufficiently".

In the meeting, the council was to give information, and answer questions about the agreement that the city has reached about the location of a refugee center, with the national coordination institute for housing refugees.

A city spokesman said that the council is now searching for a different means to inform neighbors, and other persons involved. According to the spokesman, it was "the public nature" of the meeting that was causing the security worries.

Mayor van Veldhuizen says he regrets that it was nescessary to cancel. "Democracy is becoming the victim of intimidation, threats, and violence more and more often. This is unacceptable."

The same refugee center location was the object of commotion twice before already. Late october, people were arrested at a protest against it, for making Hitler salutes and in November, pig's heads were dumped at the location.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/bijeenkomst-over-azc-enschede-afgelast-na-bedreiging~a4234965/

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 30, 2016, 09:36:47 am »

In the Dutch city of Enschede, the city council decided to cancel a public meeting between the council and it's citizen's, because, according to mayor Onno van Veldhuizen, "sadly, we cannot ensure public order and the safety of the meeting sufficiently".

In the meeting, the council was to give information, and answer questions about the agreement that the city has reached about the location of a refugee center, with the national coordination institute for housing refugees.

A city spokesman said that the council is now searching for a different means to inform neighbors, and other persons involved. According to the spokesman, it was "the public nature" of the meeting that was causing the security worries.

Mayor van Veldhuizen says he regrets that it was nescessary to cancel. "Democracy is becoming the victim of intimidation, threats, and violence more and more often. This is unacceptable."

The same refugee center location was the object of commotion twice before already. Late october, people were arrested at a protest against it, for making Hitler salutes and in November, pig's heads were dumped at the location.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/bijeenkomst-over-azc-enschede-afgelast-na-bedreiging~a4234965/

First people were bitching about the fact that large refugee centres were planned in small villages. Now the plan is to place 600 refugees in a city of 130,000 people and they bitching more than ever.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:42:48 am by Antioch »
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 30, 2016, 01:51:58 pm »

In the center of the Swedish capital of Stockholm today, several dozens to a hundred masked men dressed in black have hunted and attacked children with North-African looks.
https://youtu.be/EHscx3iWyFw
Four people have been arrested, the number of victims is as of yet unknown. A witness told the Swedish newspaper that he saw 3 people being beaten up by the group.

Earlier that evening, unknown persons were handing out flyers in the city centre, which call out to "punish" the refugees.
According to the extreme right Nordfront movement, the flyers read "it is enough!"
The police is investigating into the flyer distribution.

The flyers furthermore referred to the fatal stabbing of a young woman who worked in a refugee centre, last week, for which a 15 year old refugee has been arrested, although police has not confirmed yet that he is being suspected of the stabbing.

The perpetrators of today's attack are likely to be sought amongst hardcore hooligans from the football clubs AIK and Djurgårdens IF.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/migrantenkinderen-aangevallen-in-centrum-stockholm~a4235437/

---

EDIT: in unrelated news from Greece, the Minister of State Alekos Flabouraris's house narrowly escaped burning down, when unknown assailants threw about 10 petrol bombs at it. A security guard's car burned out, and another car was damaged. The house itself did not catch on fire, although the entrance was damaged. The minister, who was at home at the time, remained unharmed. The ruling party, Syriza, has condemned the attack, and says that they will not let it undermine democracy.

Ever since the first budgetary discipline measures were instated in 2010, there has been a rise of attacks on politicians.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/aanslag-met-benzinebommen-op-huis-griekse-minister~a4235304/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 02:23:22 pm by martinuzz »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 30, 2016, 03:15:18 pm »

Goddamn. Whether this us backlash or just old-fashioned racism, this is getting ridiculous. Is there gonna be a race war now?

I mean, America's racist and all, but we're not like this. Anymore, that is. Seriously, I'm hoping Europe doesn't have to go through the same level of painful assimilation America did. On the one hand, they'd probably have it easier, because laws about equality and stuff are already the baseline, but on the other hand, the differences in culture and language and so on are vastly larger.

Bah. Once we colonize Venus this won't be as much of an issue, at least.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 30, 2016, 04:12:18 pm »

-snip-
We need to find aliens so the xenophobia shifts to actual Xenos.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 30, 2016, 05:21:23 pm »

Goddamn. Whether this us backlash or just old-fashioned racism, this is getting ridiculous. Is there gonna be a race war now?

I mean, America's racist and all, but we're not like this. Anymore, that is. Seriously, I'm hoping Europe doesn't have to go through the same level of painful assimilation America did. On the one hand, they'd probably have it easier, because laws about equality and stuff are already the baseline, but on the other hand, the differences in culture and language and so on are vastly larger.

Bah. Once we colonize Venus this won't be as much of an issue, at least.

I seem to recall Europe had a "little" problem of racism of their own.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 30, 2016, 05:32:42 pm »

Our racism's different though. With the exceptions of Jews and gypsies our racism usually goes against folks who have an actual country of their own, unlike American racism against blacks.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 30, 2016, 05:46:59 pm »

I disagree that the racism shown in Europe now is comparable to that in America in, say, the nineteenth century. That was a view held by the majority or a very significant minority that a portion of a country's own citizens were of less value than others. This is a few idiots being stupid, as idiots do, and many more people terrified by demagogues arguing that our wealth, nay, our very way of life is under threat from the outside. While I find objection to refugees still distasteful and quite simply stupid, I think that it is in a sense justifiable, if you take the duty of a state to be only to its own citizens and not to anyone else, which in a way is what is encouraged in practically every country. Europe has already gone through the whole racism thing and, while it's nowhere near perfect, I don't think we'll be looking at Jim Crow laws any time soon.

What I find slightly sad but amusing, though, is the fact that many Britons, at least, look at America and their problems with racist policing and so forth and say "Thank goodness we're not like that over here. We're liberal and civilised!"
Ha. If only.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 30, 2016, 07:53:30 pm »

You know what the REAL issue is? Lack of control over the situation. The "hands off" approach and the complete disregard for the impact that such sudden influx of people brings, regardless of local capacity to take them in, are errors that only exacerbate the issue.
Another gross mistake that is being committed even by the people in this thread is the assumption and imposition of an agenda by the people who are illegally entering Europe - this agenda being the escape from oppression and war. The fact that majority of these people are not from Syria, aren't fleeing war and are men in productive age tends to speak against this assumption and the events occurring all over Europe are a telling sign that the assumptions and contingencies prepared to deal with these assumptions aren't matching up with the reality.
Finally, the complete coloring of the issue with liberal rhetoric that is harmful to both the citizens and the people that are coming over - Europeans aren't prepared to deal with reality of such massive immigration from a region that is completely culturally alien, while the false image of European welfare (which isn't that generous or large to begin with) just brings in more people who seek to take advantage of it.

Let's not beat about the bush here - this is a humanitarian crisis, where a lot of people were duped into believing that we can help and where a vast part of impoverished population from the global South was duped into believing that European welfare and kindness are endless and there to be used (and potentially abused). This is no different from having a house party and a rogue Facebook message getting out and letting in a swarm of totally strange people into your house and wrecking it because they can and because you have no control over the situation. You try to be a good host and you enjoy having people over, but when the rooms are ruined and your dad's car has drinks all over the seats and your mom's tulips are trampled, who is going to pay for it? Them, or you?
Keeping these people in camps in Europe and trying to accommodate them, when clearly there's too many of them to have effective control over and borders are unwatched WHILE your voters are already rebelling against you is suicidal for German government and others which are dealing with the immigrant issue right now.

I would be the last person to encourage anything drastic against anyone who was led into their current position by false information, but if personal self-deceit and notions about what is going to happen are the cause of your trouble, why should I and my fellow citizens be forced to pay for your mistakes? how am I meant to help anyone when I am having the problem dumped on my head with no prior warning and it interfering with normal day to day life?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 30, 2016, 09:16:22 pm »

Considering the initial goal was to help Syrian refugees, I don't know if that's accurate, Ardas. Maybe something like you said your house was open for people who needed a place to stay, and while you meant 'people who have no other place to stay and just need a bit to get on their feet and can probably pay rent in a couple weeks', what a lot of people heard was 'free housing, food, and parties'. And it sucks that you're in a bind now, since you don't want to just forcefully kick them back out, but you also can't keep letting them track mud all over the carpet and the neighbors are getting upset about the parties and goddamn Jacob I said no marijuana.

The intent was not just to throw a party, it was to help people, and some people took advantage of that offer.

Can't really speak for the 'who should try to take care of the problem' bit, because that's getting back into a whole mess of other stuff and I'm not from Europe so I really have no position to cast judgement on the affair.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 31, 2016, 04:45:52 am »

Helping people is a hard and unpleasant work. Furthermore, In most cases you will get nothing but problems in return.

EU public expected to help by giving some living place and some cash and get no problems at all... I think this problem comes from devaluing of the word "helping". Nowadays help is associated with moral support in form of likes and shares in social networks or sending some money from your credit card to some charity fund.

While the whole Syrian crisis needs hard work of hundreds of thousands people to actually help.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 31, 2016, 06:01:20 am »

Considering the initial goal was to help Syrian refugees,

Indeed, and I think that was a worthy goal in itself. Setting aside the hypocrisy of fueling the war there by American agenda which generates these refugees in the first place, that help did get devalued and the refugee help was hijacked by an opportunistic wave of migrants that had already been trying to enter Europe for the past several years. Like stated already, most people associate help with online likes and not real volunteer work ,which creates a total dissonance between the messages coming from Europe and the real support on the ground.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 31, 2016, 06:43:06 am »

Europol reports, that over the last year, at least 10 thousand refugee children have gone missing after arriving in Europe. I is suspected that most of those have become victim of sex trade, and slave labour. Europol warns that their estimate is likely on the low side, since in Italy alone, already 5000 children are missing.

Of the estimated 1 million refugees that entered Europe, it is thought that a quarter of those are children, of whom 26 thousand travelled unacoompanied by family or adults.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #569 on: January 31, 2016, 12:33:49 pm »

First people were bitching about the fact that large refugee centres were planned in small villages. Now the plan is to place 600 refugees in a city of 130,000 people and they bitching more than ever.
They're bitching about immigrants Antioch, from city to town and village it's always the same, do you think they are so short sighted that they think what is brought on their neighbours is not to them?

In the center of the Swedish capital of Stockholm today, several dozens to a hundred masked men dressed in black have hunted and attacked children with North-African looks.
https://youtu.be/EHscx3iWyFw
Four people have been arrested, the number of victims is as of yet unknown. A witness told the Swedish newspaper that he saw 3 people being beaten up by the group.
A removed video, an unnamed witness, an unnamed Swedish newspaper - the same ilk that has been covering up immigrant crime and doctoring evidence to make it look like it's done by Swedes? I don't know, because unnamed newspaper, unnamed group and unknown victims with no actual sources. You're asking me to take the word of a Dutch progressive media reporting on the Guardian reporting on unnamed Swedish newspapers reporting on the Swedish Migration Board trying to downplay a Swede being stabbed to death at a refugee centre?

I disagree that the racism shown in Europe now is comparable to that in America in, say, the nineteenth century. That was a view held by the majority or a very significant minority that a portion of a country's own citizens were of less value than others. This is a few idiots being stupid, as idiots do, and many more people terrified by demagogues arguing that our wealth, nay, our very way of life is under threat from the outside. While I find objection to refugees still distasteful and quite simply stupid, I think that it is in a sense justifiable, if you take the duty of a state to be only to its own citizens and not to anyone else, which in a way is what is encouraged in practically every country. Europe has already gone through the whole racism thing and, while it's nowhere near perfect, I don't think we'll be looking at Jim Crow laws any time soon.
Yeah we'll just be going through Shariah Law lel
Also if you still believe they're refugees at this point there's not much more to be said that isn't just a record on repeat.

What I find slightly sad but amusing, though, is the fact that many Britons, at least, look at America and their problems with racist policing and so forth and say "Thank goodness we're not like that over here. We're liberal and civilised!"
Ha. If only.

I want to deport labour to California

The ouroboros of smug progressives trying to be the most toleran and progresiv has covered up enough atrocities for one century.

You know what the REAL issue is? Lack of control over the situation.
And do you know why there's no control? Because progresiv and toleran bureaucrats don't let Europeans control anything, only German progresiv are allowed control, and they don't even use it for anything beyond the pursuit of power.

Another gross mistake that is being committed even by the people in this thread is the assumption and imposition of an agenda by the people who are illegally entering Europe - this agenda being the escape from oppression and war. The fact that majority of these people are not from Syria, aren't fleeing war and are men in productive age tends to speak against this assumption and the events occurring all over Europe are a telling sign that the assumptions and contingencies prepared to deal with these assumptions aren't matching up with the reality.
Finally, the complete coloring of the issue with liberal rhetoric that is harmful to both the citizens and the people that are coming over - Europeans aren't prepared to deal with reality of such massive immigration from a region that is completely culturally alien, while the false image of European welfare (which isn't that generous or large to begin with) just brings in more people who seek to take advantage of it.
Two words: cheeki breeki~

Let's not beat about the bush here - this is a humanitarian crisis, where a lot of people were duped into believing that we can help and where a vast part of impoverished population from the global South was duped into believing that European welfare and kindness are endless and there to be used (and potentially abused). This is no different from having a house party and a rogue Facebook message getting out and letting in a swarm of totally strange people into your house and wrecking it because they can and because you have no control over the situation. You try to be a good host and you enjoy having people over, but when the rooms are ruined and your dad's car has drinks all over the seats and your mom's tulips are trampled, who is going to pay for it? Them, or you?
Keeping these people in camps in Europe and trying to accommodate them, when clearly there's too many of them to have effective control over and borders are unwatched WHILE your voters are already rebelling against you is suicidal for German government and others which are dealing with the immigrant issue right now.
Suicide is the agenda :D!

Considering the initial goal was to help Syrian refugees, I don't know if that's accurate, Ardas.
That was not the initial goal, the initial goal was finding a way to make North African illegal immigration seem desirable, the media effort to make the two synonymous succeeded in 2014.

And it sucks that you're in a bind now, since you don't want to just forcefully kick them back out, but you also can't keep letting them track mud all over the carpet and the neighbors are getting upset about the parties and goddamn Jacob I said no marijuana.
Even worse, because you're gonna be kicked out of your own house (squatters rules are a bitch) and your neighbours are being molested and killed and someone is playing your favourite nashid

Can't really speak for the 'who should try to take care of the problem' bit, because that's getting back into a whole mess of other stuff and I'm not from Europe so I really have no position to cast judgement on the affair.
AMERICA FIX EVERYTHING, IT'S BROKEN

Europol reports, that over the last year, at least 10 thousand refugee children have gone missing after arriving in Europe. I is suspected that most of those have become victim of sex trade, and slave labour. Europol warns that their estimate is likely on the low side, since in Italy alone, already 5000 children are missing.
Of the estimated 1 million refugees that entered Europe, it is thought that a quarter of those are children, of whom 26 thousand travelled unacoompanied by family or adults.

MARTIN PLS
STOP
You keep posting statistics out of your arse with "estimates" from "it is thoughts" and it lowers the quality of discussion TO BELOW FACEBOOK
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 793