Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008784 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1575 on: April 03, 2016, 09:34:19 pm »

To a lot of people, for reasons that are beyond my ken, white/Western cultures/diversity != 'real' cultures/diversity. Or at least, if they are viewed as cultures or as diversity, they are to be denigrated rather than protected.
Funfact: I was looking at mods fro Stardew Valley and there is a popular diversity mod that basically repaints all characters to varying colors of nonwhite.
I think the only white persons left standing is the evil corporate manager and possibly your farmer.

That mod was fine but a mod that turned 2 non white characters white sparked a controversy.
It was quite amusing TBH.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: April 04, 2016, 12:48:09 am »

To a lot of people, for reasons that are beyond my ken, white/Western cultures/diversity != 'real' cultures/diversity. Or at least, if they are viewed as cultures or as diversity, they are to be denigrated rather than protected.
The reasons are simple, Covenant. White people are in power, and power is all the same. Or rather, white people in power, and the point of cultural diversity isn't diversity for the sake of diversity, it's diversity for the sake of giving power to those without it. In other words, (some) people view the question of 'what about white culture' or the comments about self-hating whites (in all honesty of everything being said here those are the most disturbing, on both a personal level(they disagree with me, obviously they're just brainwashed/stupid(if a black person is a Republican, obviously they're just stupid/an internalized racist) and a political level) as being similar to when a kid asks their parents why there isn't a Children's Day, if there's a Mother's Day and a Father's Day.

Also because diversity doesn't mean 'oh, there's a dozen or so technically different ones now, we're good, all set for variety now'. It means as many perspectives as possible. It's like giving everyone a vote, except it's memetics and mindsets being given a chance to influence people or put forth their points of view. I think.

Also tribal wars, tribal wars never help anything, I think that's why LW has shifted more and more towards sounding like a Reactionary. (Sorry bro, but you're only missing the use of the word Cathedral and discussions about genetic superiority of whites or something) Could be wrong. But yeah, when you associate 'X' with the 'enemy', you don't want to accept that it might have good sides, ever. If 'Western culture' is being celebrated by the rights, then the lefts obviously have to boo it. If 'welfare' is being celebrated by the lefts, then the rights obviously have to fight it. It's stupid, but groupthink is real, and it screws things worse then they already are.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: April 04, 2016, 02:20:54 am »

'White people' are not in power, though. That implies that there is some sort of power that comes with being white, it isn't true at all. Are those with power powerful because they are white? No, they are in power because they are descended from the right families, because they inherited the right bank accounts and the right creditors and contacts. Power has nothing to do with skin colour.
Well, most people in power are white. As far as I know most people who want diversity do not deny that not white people as a whole are in power. The concept is so absurd that clarification normally is assumed to be not needed.

It's funny, and sad, that any talk of diversity and 'giving power to those without it' always starts and ends with superficial things like skin colour, gender, sexuality, etc, as opposed to wealth inequality, which actually matters. As I think LW may have said in the past, perhaps the reason for that is that many of the people espousing such 'diversity', who rail about 'white male privilege' are actually quite blessed with wealth, with real privilege themselves, and they don't want to acknowledge that.
First off:
No, people talking about diversity and "giving power to those without it" are not stopping at superficialities. They only stop there when the arguments already start even when they are only starting with superficialities.
When people start shouting as soon as these superficialities are mentioned it is hard to get to the deeper topics, no?

Second:
Privilege is relative and in the way it is used here, it is about hierarchies. Hierarchies, by their very definition, are partially ordered (see "directed acyclic graph").
Also hierarchies are not encompassing the whole life of everyone in it, but can be in relation to a certain area of life. That is, a single person can be part of multiple hierarchies.
So there is no such thing as an otherwise unqualified privileged person. It is always a privileged person in regard to something. I think most people (whatever their political affiliations or world view) do not realize this consciously or at least don't have it internalized enough.
In conclusion: Only because I am privileged does not mean I don't know what it is like to deal with not having privilege.

Third: I've never seen a leftist as obsessed with diversity as LW is.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: April 04, 2016, 03:09:31 am »

LW cannot be pigeonholed into left or right wing, because he isn't in the building at all, but is rather standing on a soapbox down the road with a placard saying "Everything Has Gone Rather Shit"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: April 04, 2016, 03:28:46 am »

This. This very much.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1580 on: April 04, 2016, 11:58:48 am »

Thank you for extensive answer, I think it is all very well written and I appreciate your effort for making it. It is pretty conclusive so I for now cannot add anything to that discussion by the means of additional questions or opinions.

... it is pretty confusing how at times my own thinking seems incredibly akin to that of Loud Whispers'. Especially so because at other times I'm just incredibly annoyed with some of his posts.

If I would be a bit paranoid I'd say LW is just incredibly smart in a way so that when he wishes he constructs his post intentionally in such way he simply knows I would approve and thus I'm being sub-consciously led into agreeing with him all the while he just pulls strings and cackles madly looking how foolish posters like me fall in line docile like sheep. Not that I'm being paranoid, nu-uh.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: April 04, 2016, 12:03:12 pm »

- Both Vladimir Putin and the current president of Ukraine  (???)
We have a funny shitstorm in our media because of this :)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Eisensturm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: April 04, 2016, 12:17:26 pm »

It must be awful. What do you think of your current president, Ranger? Stay or go?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: April 04, 2016, 01:04:29 pm »

It must be awful. What do you think of your current president, Ranger? Stay or go?
First of all, the case is very different to Putin's friend with two billions.

We have this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The article below is a nice summary of the situation

Quote from: Kiev post article, avoiding paywall
The investigation raises questions about whether Poroshenko, whose fortune is estimated at close to $1 billion, violated Ukrainian law and evaded taxes in setting up the offshore firm through Mossack Fonseca, a Panamanian firm specializing in the registration of firms in tax havens.

Reacting to the investigation, lawyers, anti-corruption watchdogs and politicians accused Poroshenko of illegal and unethical business activity, violating the laws on property declarations and tax evasion. They also reminded the public that Poroshenko has not lived up to his 2014 election campaign promise of selling his Roshen confectionary business or transferring it to a blind trust.

Nonetheless, Poroshenko set off with an official visit to Japan on April 4.

He neither publicly addressed the nation nor posted a statement on the presidential website. Poroshenko posted on his Facebook page that “relevant consulting and law firms” would later give details on the issue.

What's the problem?

Poroshenko’s Prime Asset Partners was set up in August 2014. Offshore companies can be legal and are certainly a widespread practice for big Ukrainian businesses.

However, Poroshenko could have violated rules on income declarations, Inna Rudnyk of the Lavrynovych & Partners law firm and Ihor Chudovsky, president of the Chudovsky and Partners law firm, told the Kyiv Post.

Poroshenko did not include any foreign investments in his income and property declaration for 2014. Local officials can lose their jobs for such violations under Ukrainian law, Rudnyk said.

“His failure to declare his investment in the capital of an offshore company is a violation of anti-corruption standards,” Oleksiy Khmara, head of Transparency International Ukraine, said in a statement.

Avellum Partners, a law firm working for Poroshenko, claimed late on April 4 that the amount was not included because the shares do not have a face value. But the company’s documents indicate that the shares were worth $1,000, according to the OCCRP.

Avellum added that the offshore scheme was the only possible way to transfer Roshen’s assets to an international trust.

“The creation of a foreign entity doesn’t influence the payment of taxes by Roshen group, which keeps paying taxes under Ukrainian law,” Avellum said in a statement that also denies the president evaded paying any taxes.

Another possible violation is that article 103 of the Constitution bans the president from running a business, including opening an offshore company, Chudovsky and Viktor Chumak, an independent lawmaker, told the Kyiv Post.

Khmara argued that “the creation of businesses by (Poroshenko) while carrying out presidential functions is a direct violation of the Constitution.”

Moreover, article 14 of the law on preventing and fighting corruption requires the president to get rid of businesses and shares within 10 days after he is elected.

However, Rudnyk argued that “current law doesn’t limit Ukraine’s president from owning corporate shares.”

Poroshenko pledged to sell most of his businesses if elected as president as he was on May 25, 2014. In January, he told Deutsche Welle that he had transferred his shares in Roshen to a blind trust called the Rotchschild Trust.

But in March Poroshenko’s lawyers told the OCCRP that the transfer of Poroshenko’s assets to the blind trust was still under way.

“We elect a parliament of businessmen, we elect a businessman as president and then we expect them to stop doing business? Then we are naïve people,” Chumak said.

Yet another legal issue is whether Poroshenko has received a license from the National Bank of Ukraine to invest in Prime Asset Partners. The bank said on April 4 it cannot disclose this information.

Legal consequences

If Poroshenko violated the law, he can be impeached by the Verkhovna Rada under the Constitution, Chudovsky said. However, this is currently impossible because there is no impeachment law.

Yegor Sobolev, a lawmaker from the Samopomich Party, has called for impeaching Poroshenko over the accusations, while critical Poroshenko Bloc members Mustafa Nayyem and Sergii Leshchenko have proposed setting up a parliamentary commission to investigate the offshore scheme.

Vladyslav Kutsenko, a spokesman for the Prosecutor General’s Office, said that prosecutors do not have legal authority to investigate the president.

Chudovsky disagreed, arguing that the Prosecutor General’s Office has powers to investigate Poroshenko.

Kutsenko said that “the prosecutor’s office has investigated information on the president’s allegedly illegal activities and has found no crime.”

The Prosecutor General’s Office is seen as heavily dependent on the president, and Kutsenko has repeatedly lambasted Poroshenko’s critics.

But the National Anti-Corruption Bureau and the anti-corruption prosecutor’s office, which are seen as more independent, are planning to look into the offshore scheme, Ukraine’s chief anti-corruption prosecutor Nazar Kholodnytsky said on April 4.

Under the law, the bureau can investigate the scheme itself but cannot file a notice of suspicion or arrest the president.

Meanwhile, the authorities of the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Australia and New Zealand have opened investigations regarding the leaked data.

Political consequences

Ukraine loses $11.6 billion in state budget revenues due to offshore schemes per year, the OCCRP estimated.

Critics say that Poroshenko wasn’t being honest when using an offshore firm after claiming that business needs to be brought out of shadows.

Recent amendments to tax legislation put some restrictions on using offshore schemes, while still keeping this way of business registration lucrative, Rudnyk said. “The country's leader is putting the burden of filling the state budget on the shoulders of Ukrainian businessmen,” Rudnyk added.

Even the fact of being involved in the offshore scandal brought Iceland’s prime minister, Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson, under massive pressure to quit. But Chumak, a lawmaker, said the scandal will hardly lead to any serious consequences for Poroshenko and his party regardless of the moral aspect of the issue. “In our society the moral standards are much lower,” he said.

Many political analysts say the scandal damages the president’s reputation, as well as the reputation of Ukraine on the international arena.

Yaroslav Yurchyshyn, a political analyst and expert at Transparency International Ukraine, said Poroshenko promised to campaign for de-oligarchization but instead is using offshore schemes.

“Taking into account the sensitivity of the corruption problem, the mere possibility of the president’s involvement in tax avoidance, making mistakes in the declaration and using offshore firms damages his image,” Yurchyshyn said.

Meanwhile, former coalition parties like Oleg Lyashko’s Radical Party and Yulia Tymoshenko’s Batkivshchyna Party will surely use the scandal to increase their ratings. Future partners in the coalition might raise their stakes in negotiations for the new parliament majority, and pressure might increase for early elections.

Yurchyshyn says news about Poroshenko’s offshore company hit the headlines at an awkward time for Kyiv, which is simultaneously campaigning against Eurosceptics in the Dutch referendum due on April 6, holding talks with the International Monetary Fund and facing accusations of slow reforms and a lack of results in fighting corruption.

“The position of Ukraine on the international arena has significantly weakened as President Poroshenko is the key representative of the country,” a Transparency International represenative said.

Oleksandr Palii, a political expert, believes that there will be no political consequences for the president.

“The fact that journalists did not find any bigger accusations against Poroshenko proves that he is quite a law-abiding citizen,” he said.

Meanwhile, Viktor Taran, who heads the Center for Political Studies and Analysis, says that what matters is how Poroshenko will behave in the future.

“If he says that this is 'a hybrid war' and he and his lawyers start explaining that he acted within the legal framework, that will ultimately politically destroy him,” Taran said. “Another option for him is to step out, recognize his guilt... and demonstrate that he has political will to destroy offshore legislation.”

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Eisensturm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: April 04, 2016, 01:59:44 pm »

Interesting. I understand the initial reports are mostly of how many times someones name might appear rather then how much money(if any) has been used in shady dealings. 2.6 Terrabytes in financial data is alot to skim through.

I guess Poroshenko gets a pass in my book(unless something else turns up).

Regarding Putin it would have been a great surprise if he or his associates had -not- turned up in these files. The world would have been absolutely shocked! "International Corruption Scandal where Russia not involved: World braces for flying pigs and frozen hells"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: April 04, 2016, 02:07:38 pm »

"If Poroshenko violated the law, he can be impeached by the Verkhovna Rada under the Constitution, Chudovsky said. However, this is currently impossible because there is no impeachment law."

Not sure how that stops you because that didn't stop Nixon and Bill Clinton from being impeached and you guys impeached Yanukovich.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: April 04, 2016, 03:48:33 pm »

Quote from: wiki
The action did not follow the impeachment process as specified by the Constitution of Ukraine (which would have involved formally charging the president with a crime, a review of the charge by the Constitutional Court of Ukraine, and a three-fourths majority vote – i.e. at least 338 votes in favor – by the Rada); instead, the Verkhovna Rada declared that Yanukovych "withdrew from his duties in an unconstitutional manner" and cited "circumstances of extreme urgency" as the reason for early elections.
Sure if there will be political will to remove Poroshenko than he will go one way or another but I doubt it will happen.

Both society and elites are ready to tolerate some conflict of interests, borderline legal tax evasion schemes and broken "I will sell my business" promise because it is much better than a guy who stole billions from budget + Holding new presidential elections will add even more mess to already unstable political situation.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1587 on: April 05, 2016, 08:35:27 am »

- Jackie Chan
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
It's ok, he'll be fine
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This. This very much.
Do you read the Guardian? Do you listen to the EU? I don't know how you could willfully ignore the core principle of modern progressive strategy o_O

LW cannot be pigeonholed into left or right wing, because he isn't in the building at all, but is rather standing on a soapbox down the road with a placard saying "Everything Has Gone Rather Shit"
Spoiler: Tfw (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:05:14 am by Loud Whispers »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: April 05, 2016, 09:38:26 am »

On Polish social media, Polish women have called upon all Polish women to send all possible details about their menstruations to the prime minister and other conservative christian members of government, via email, Facebook and real mail, with the hashtag #TrudnyOkres

This, in reaction to the Polish prime minister's response to the bishops of Poland, who called upon the government to further restrict the already stern abortion laws, basically asking to make any form of abortion, even after rape and incest, or one to save woman's life from pregnancy complications, a criminally punishable offense. The Prime minister responded that as a good Christian, she will have to heed the bishops' call. So long for secularism in Poland I guess.
Her response already led to 1000s of women taking to the streets with coat hangers, a symbol of illegal abortions (before abortions were somewhat legalized, coat hangers were used to scrape a fetus from a womb).

The women calling for the action claim that "since the prime minister is planning to take control over our wombs, ovaries and vaginas, why not make it easier for them, and send them every little detail about our menstruations?"
The Polish government can expect many bloodsoaked tampons in their mailbox.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/poolse-vrouwen-laten-premier-voortaan-alles-over-ongesteldheid-weten~a4276173/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:43:27 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1589 on: April 05, 2016, 09:59:34 am »

Sometimes I get this feeling we should start start dragging politicians and rich people onto the streets and beating them up, but then I remember that, unlike them, we are held accountable for illegal activities.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 793