Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002160 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #2355 on: June 09, 2016, 06:23:36 am »

That sounds like an American problem.

Also, you'd have more money for rent if you stop smoking.

Also, what does rent and an obscenely long working week have to do with the ethics of gory cigarettes?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: June 09, 2016, 06:28:27 am »

Smokers believe that smoking helps relieve stress, which is wrong, of course – it's just the withdrawal symptoms going away.

That sounds like an American problem.
Martinuzz isn't American, though.

That's just a claim you make. You don't know whether it's true. Comes off as kind of condescending.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: June 09, 2016, 06:30:41 am »

Well it does help, at first, and it diminishes with time obviously as you build the resistance. Plus, the act itself can be calming in a sort of placebo/meditative way. So there's some merit to it at least.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: June 09, 2016, 06:31:24 am »

That might be, but I think it causes more stress than it relieves in the long run.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: June 09, 2016, 06:52:12 am »

I still don't get why folks applaud a measure that is blatantly manipulative instead of informative (as the previous warning labels were). If you want people to stop smoking, just be honest and ban the stuff already.

Ooooh, that reminds me:

There's a new law on 'new psychoactive substances' in Germany. The core idea is to ban whole classes of substances, like they've been doing in the UK for a long time. They didn't fuck it up as badly as I would've expected, but to the chemically and pharmacologically well versed the gaps should be obvious. They should've just copied the UK law.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2360 on: June 09, 2016, 06:57:26 am »

That's just a claim you make. You don't know whether it's true. Comes off as kind of condescending.

It seems to me to be a safe assumption that it costs money to smoke.

I still don't get why folks applaud a measure that is blatantly manipulative instead of informative (as the previous warning labels were). If you want people to stop smoking, just be honest and ban the stuff already.

It's arguably still an informative measure. Instead of just saying smoking causes cancer, the box now shows what happens to smokers. Assuming the box shows specifically smoking-induced maladies, of course.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: June 09, 2016, 07:01:21 am »

Simply banning smoking sounds like a recipe for a quick boom in black market industry. Just like banning alcohol and marijuana, banning smoking would not fundamentally solve the problem, if the population still wants it at large.

You have to first manipulate (or influence, or heavily suggest, or any other synonym you like) the active majority of your population to form an instinctual, reflexive antipathy towards something, before something like a general ban on consumption of that something can truly succeed.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: June 09, 2016, 07:04:06 am »

Instead of just saying smoking causes cancer, the box now shows what happens to smokers.
Does it, though? It shows what happens to some smokers. It shows the extreme cases. The old warning labels - at least the ones here - avoided that problem: 'Smoking may kill you' 'Smoking severely harms you and those around you' 'Smoking while pregnant harms your child'

Ninja:
You have to first manipulate (or influence, or heavily suggest, or any other synonym you like) the active majority of your population to form an instinctual, reflexive antipathy towards something, before something like a general ban on consumption of that something can truly succeed.
But why bother? Let people kill them if they want! Just make them pay for it themselves. Making them quit because it's bad for themselves is classic nanny-state behaviour, no?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2363 on: June 09, 2016, 07:07:53 am »

Instead of just saying smoking causes cancer, the box now shows what happens to smokers.
Does it, though? It shows what happens to some smokers. It shows the extreme cases. The old warning labels - at least the ones here - avoided that problem: 'Smoking may kill you' 'Smoking severely harms you and those around you' 'Smoking while pregnant harms your child'

Fair enough.

Perhaps a 'smoking license' should be instituted. Before you may purchase tobacco products, you must suffer through an hour long course on the harmful effects of tobacco, including a test on all the horrible ways you could die or harm others at the end. After all, driving and smoking are pretty comparable! Both can harm you and bystanders if done irresponsibly, but for some reason we only test for one of them...

That's only half serious. It would be impractical to implement.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: June 09, 2016, 07:09:45 am »

There actually is an idea like that for 'harder' drugs, and psychedelics in particular. Doesn't sound too far-fetched to me, to be honest. In particular it would avoid the problem of people just sort of slipping into nicotine addiction.
The Bay12 postcard club

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2365 on: June 09, 2016, 07:13:05 am »

If you want people to stop smoking, just be honest and ban the stuff already.
People demand freedom to poison themselves

Martinuzz isn't American, though.
Was he talking about himself? I did ask:
Also, what does rent and an obscenely long working week have to do with the ethics of gory cigarettes?

Haha, what? Spending less money on one thing will leave money available for other things. Pretty basic arithmetic here.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: June 09, 2016, 07:23:57 am »

I somehow dropped the "more" while reading.

Smokers believe that smoking helps relieve stress, which is wrong, of course – it's just the withdrawal symptoms going away.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: June 09, 2016, 07:25:25 am »

Ooooh, that reminds me:

There's a new law on 'new psychoactive substances' in Germany. The core idea is to ban whole classes of substances, like they've been doing in the UK for a long time. They didn't fuck it up as badly as I would've expected, but to the chemically and pharmacologically well versed the gaps should be obvious. They should've just copied the UK law.
Most of these substances come up as replacements for illegal drugs. Legalizing them would probably do more about the problem of NPSs than this law, especially with proper education about them.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: June 09, 2016, 07:30:19 am »

But why bother? Let people kill them if they want! Just make them pay for it themselves. Making them quit because it's bad for themselves is classic nanny-state behaviour, no?

So if forcing people to wear a seatbelt. There is no cost to wearing a seatbelt (assuming your car has one), and yet, back when I was in Thailand where it's not required, most people did not wear it. Sometime, forcing people to make the right decision can be justified, call it nanny-state behavior if you want.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: June 09, 2016, 07:53:04 am »

Ninja:
1) Why would we bother with national healthcare?  Why would we bother with health education? Why would we bother with industrial safety regulations?
2) I know people who've become addicted to smoking solely because it was "a cool and hip thing to do" back when they were young, stupid, susceptible to social pressures, and didn't know about the real dangers of smoking at all, because knowledge of just how dangerous smoking really is has became widely known only fairly recently.
3) Why is "nanny-state behaviour" a bad thing here, in your opinion? Addiction is a really dangerous thing, and the best way to combat it is to prevent it from happening altogether. The singular person always underestimates the strength of addiction, but the society - and state, as the acting representative of said society - as a whole, has that knowledge, and thus can utilize their powers to prevent that singular person from doing something they would, most likely, heavily regret in the future.

I mean, with that sort of knowledge, you can justify people using hard drugs - like heroin, if they "pay for themselves". Yet, I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of governments of Earth are, in fact, opposed to letting people do that.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 793