Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002177 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #2880 on: July 15, 2016, 08:36:27 pm »

I don't consider people thinking that their religious law should be actual law are unreasonable. I think they're wrong, but I don't find it to be an unreasonable thing for someone to want.

And shariah law/quranic law has specific parts intended for non-believers, mostly relating to economic and criminal law and the penalties involved.

Jailing women for getting an abortion is also barbaric. See how many people in my country think that should be the case. Refusing to acknowledge birth control as an option results in how many thousands of young women getting pregnant before they're in a situation to support a child? Jail systems where you can't even get medical care as a pregnant teenager, and dying after less than thirty days is barbaric. Maybe you and I just have different frames of reference.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: July 15, 2016, 09:27:07 pm »

Maybe you and I just have different frames of reference.
Yes, most definitely. This is the excellent example of the Overtone Window in effect - for me, it's simply unthinkable that a religious law can overturn a governmental one - all people are under one law, after all; but in your country, it's something which is widely considered as being possible.

It is why I believe that giving in to the Sharia law (and any other kind of fundamentalist religious/ideologic law, in fact - I do not condone Christians when they try to force their ancient laws on the secular society, at all), no matter how limited, would have a horrible effect simply because it would shift the definitions of what's acceptable and what's not - and it would shift it in a very bad direction. So it's better to just stop that altogether, in my opinion - to prevent what you've said was happening in your country from happening in mine, and in all its neighbours.
._.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: July 15, 2016, 10:17:31 pm »

This has never not been the case in America.
Also, implementing a democratic religious government might be a lot more helpful than trying to institute a secular democratic government, in terms of stability, in those countries where the majority of the population wants religious law anyway and would just vote it into effect as soon as you let them.

And if you don't let them, then it's not exactly a democracy, is it? It's foreigners forcing their values on the country.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2883 on: July 15, 2016, 10:51:02 pm »

And if you don't let them, then it's not exactly a democracy, is it? It's foreigners forcing their values on the country.
Screw democracy, western secularism is objectively superior
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: July 15, 2016, 11:57:07 pm »

Guys, it looks like the coup is failing. Don't get too excited.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 12:03:05 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: July 16, 2016, 12:04:13 am »

Guys, it looks like the coup is failing. Don't get too excited.
Evidence?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: July 16, 2016, 12:10:17 am »

Screw democracy, western secularism is objectively superior

From what I've read about post-colonial or communist states from WWII forward, before a stable secular and democratic state can be made, it requires international/domestic security, a successful industrialized economy, above-average education, and political sophistication that satisfies the people's beliefs without appealing mostly to religion or ethnic conflict. If any of these aren't met by the first 20 years or so after independence, the state is usually doomed to flounder in cycles of dictatorship and corruption that is extremely difficult to recover from. Secularism isn't necessary to fulfill any of those requirements, nor is a functional democracy (in fact it's often been a hindrance), but if they're all met, suddenly ideas such as secularism and democracy have real natural appeal and material benefit, which is what's really needed for the people to want it enough to demand and hold onto it.

The difficulty is that these countries are dominated by autocrats who devote the vast majority of their energy to the first item in that list, and typically have no motivation to develop education and the economy when the state can fund itself on oil or mineral exports instead of a developed economy. The result is that a large disgruntled populace is left with 19th century political ideals of simple nationalism and religious morality, making democracy unworkable (even if the people in charge wanted it to work), let alone a modern secular democracy. I also wouldn't read too much into those figures about most muslims wanting Sharia law; muslims who live under the Islamist governments that seriously implement Sharia law instead of just paying lip service to it sing a very different tune. It's a bit like people voting for Brexit and then regretting it, only replace "voting for Brexit" with "getting murdered by the Taliban".

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: July 16, 2016, 12:39:25 am »

It looks like a war of words now for all sides
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 12:41:08 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2889 on: July 16, 2016, 01:10:13 am »

You want to ban an ideology? That's kinda totalitarian.
Neo-nazies and other white racists agree with you.
I'm pretty sure anyone who values freedom of expression will agree with me
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: July 16, 2016, 03:19:33 am »

You want to ban an ideology? That's kinda totalitarian.
Neo-nazies and other white racists agree with you.
I'm pretty sure anyone who values freedom of expression will agree with me
Do you know who likes unlimited freedom of expression the most? One who plan to totally destroy it once they come to power.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2891 on: July 16, 2016, 03:49:08 am »

Okay, hang on. I think your argument's asinine but we should probably work through this properly.

First, how is banning an ideology in any way not totalitarian?

Second, why does this not conflict with your assertion:
I sound like a guy who thinks that totalitarian ideology like Islam should be banned in any civilized country
... that Islam should be banned because it is totalitarian?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: July 16, 2016, 04:04:23 am »

Ok, Germany bans Nazism now. Is the BRD a totalitarian state?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: July 16, 2016, 04:12:22 am »

Okay, hang on. I think your argument's asinine but we should probably work through this properly.

First, how is banning an ideology in any way not totalitarian?

Second, why does this not conflict with your assertion:
I sound like a guy who thinks that totalitarian ideology like Islam should be banned in any civilized country
... that Islam should be banned because it is totalitarian?
Let's start with a definition of what totalitarianism is. When I say totalitarianism I mean

the political concept that the citizen should be totally subject to an absolute state authority

Under this definition enforcing one ideology is totalitarian , banning one\few of them is not.

Do you have some other definition of the world? When we discuss politics and various isms we better be sure that we are speaking about the same things.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:14:15 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: July 16, 2016, 04:27:28 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:19:21 pm by Toady One »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 793