Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002081 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #2910 on: July 16, 2016, 07:19:30 am »

More soldiers getting lynched. It's now seeming more likely that the rumours that a lot of soldiers didn't know they were staging a coup is true, otherwise it just doesn't make sense why they don't defend themselves, instead looking so confused when approached by a mob about to kill them

Who stages a coup on the day the Prime Minister is out of the country?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: July 16, 2016, 07:22:31 am »

Gulen responded to Erdogan's accusations. The cleric says : As someone who has suffered under multiple military coups, I can say that my main feeling about this is one of insult."
Gulen dissaproves of the coup attempt in strong terms.

The Turkish government accuses Gulen's followers of being responsible for the coup attempt. They say these followers are represented in the media and the offices of the Justice department.

Gulen say that a government should be elected freely, and not under military threat.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: July 16, 2016, 07:24:41 am »

More soldiers getting lynched.
"A victory for democracy"

(Although, after seeing vids of tanks goring people, I can somewhat understand anyone who just lost a loved one for wanting retribution)

It's probably the biggest mistake of the coup. Opening fire on the civilians.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 07:29:13 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: July 16, 2016, 07:26:21 am »

Maybe after this the military as a whole will follow up with a second coup.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: July 16, 2016, 07:27:15 am »

Erdogan already called upon the people to take to the streets again, and warned about a possible second coup

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: July 16, 2016, 07:28:27 am »

One can dream, can one not?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2916 on: July 16, 2016, 07:38:14 am »

More soldiers getting lynched.
"A victory for democracy"

(Although, after seeing vids of tanks goring people, I can somewhat understand anyone who just lost a loved one for wanting retribution)

It's probably the biggest mistake of the coup. Opening fire on the civilians.
Nah, biggest mistake was staging it when Erdogan wasn't in the country

For the tank drivers, that they let the civilians get close to them at all strikes me with suspicion, genuinely seems like a hell of a lot of soldiers didn't know what was going on

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: July 16, 2016, 07:44:52 am »

I've read he was on holiday in Marmaris?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: July 16, 2016, 07:53:44 am »

Its interesting how 18 hours from the start of the coup attempt they(Erdö & CO) have detained more judges than coup-attempting military personnel (2750, 36% of all the judges).

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: July 16, 2016, 07:59:59 am »

Its interesting how 18 hours from the start of the coup attempt they(Erdö & CO) have detained more judges than coup-attempting military personnel (2750, 36% of all the judges).
It's because Eddy cares less about the whole being a good leader, more about being a leader and staying as one. He'll be using this as justification for weeks to come.

Yeah, absolutely. I believe, with the evidence so far, that the whole mess was at least partially a false-flag. Could be the first one for me to believe in.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: July 16, 2016, 08:18:24 am »

I've read he was on holiday in Marmaris?
Uh no, he was at (or at least was supposed to be at) an Eurasian summit meeting with other European and Asian heads of state in Mongolia.

Turkish - Egyptian relations are deteriorating further, as Egypt's media reported very positively about the coup attempt, and called it "not a coup, but a revolution within the armed forces"
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:41:42 am by martinuzz »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2921 on: July 16, 2016, 09:01:09 am »

Erdogan now knows who his friends are
Both within and without

Without-
USA, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Israel voiced support for Erdogan
Erdogan tried claiming asylum in Germany but Merkel said no
Egypt media saw the coup attempt positively

More refugees to come for Germany

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: July 16, 2016, 09:03:34 am »

Erdogan tried claiming asylum in Germany but Merkel said no
That was fake, his airplane hasn't leaved Turkey's airspace.
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: July 16, 2016, 09:11:33 am »

http://www.volkskrant.nl/opinie/erdogan-wil-turkije-koste-wat-kost-arabiseren~a4333917/

I took the time to translate this letter a Turkish journalist / ex-military wrote to the newspaper last month.

"While Atatürk de-arabised the Turkish republic with blood, sweat and tears, Erdogan is trying to revert this vigorously.
His intention to grant Turkish citizenship to 3 million Syrian refugees is nothing more than a way to gain more votes for his AK party.

Erdogan is planning to grant citizenship to millions of Syiran refugees. In a speech to Syrian refugees, he promised that actions will be taken to realize that by the appropriate ministry with great urgency.
He made this promise during an iftar in Kilis last weekend.
Because of the influx of refugees, the size of that city has doubled over the past few years.
By giving voting rights to 3 million Syrians, Erdogan is trying to bind new voters to his AK party, and manipulate the next elections in 2019.

Ethnicity, and the place you come from, matter in Turkey, moreso than in the Netherlands.
In the Netherlands, there's no big contrasts between someone from the province of Groningen or the province of Gelderland.
However, in the Ottoman empire, there were dozens of different peoples, and in the Turkish Republic, a lot of that ethnic variety has been preserved.
The odds are high that someone from the north of Turkey is not a Turk, but a Chechen, Laz, or Pontic Greek.
In the East, there's millions of Kurds. In the West, there Thracians, who originate from the Balkan.
In Anatolia, mostly Alevitic Turks have settled.

People from the different regions have only been intermarrying for a short period of time. The preference still goes out to someone from the same village, city, or at most, province.
Your culture, your religious subculture, and your family reflect your conditioning, your political preference, and your religiosity. It's not perfect science, but it proven to be a reasonable indicator throughout the centuries, of what makes a person tick.

Now at first glance Erdogan, who's not a Turk, but a Georgian, with an ethnic arab wife, seems to give the Turkish identity a prominent place in is power politics.
But the truth couldn't be further away.
Islamists like Erdogan are the complete opposite, and are even hostile to original Turks. They conceal this with patriotic rethoric, bombastic historical propaganda, and by attacking western values.
What they really care about though, is islam, or to be more precise, sunni-orthodox islam.
For them, when you have converted to Sunni Islam, you are good people and can be mobilised.

In that case, it doesn't matter if you are a Bulgarian, or a Bosnian. This was already the case in the Ottoman empire, when almost no grand vizier or admiral was a Turk, and all the mothers of Sultans came from Eastern Europe.
The elite army of the Ottomans, the Janissaries, where converted christian boys, who eventually became the notables of the Ottoman Empire.
Thus, the convert slowly took power, and marginalised the original central Asian Turk.

Syrians will remain loyal to the Erdogan-clan, and this will provide a new voter pool for the AK party for generations to come.
When the kids of the Syrian refugees have their own kids, there'll be another 2 million on top of the 3 million already here.
This will definitively change the ethnic composition of Turkey.
Atatürk de-arabised the Turkish Republic with blood, sweat and tears. Erdogan is unfortunatly trying to reverse this, and step by step, abolish the Turkish Republic.

I advise him and his family to make haste with applying for Saudi citizenship for him and his family, because the Turkish people will never accept this."
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:13:45 am by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: July 16, 2016, 09:19:55 am »

Them poor sods. I feel for them.

Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 793