Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002010 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #3720 on: August 12, 2016, 01:36:27 am »

The scientific method does at least try to reduce subjectivity.

Statistics can be made to show what you want them to show though.

See: Covenant
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3721 on: August 12, 2016, 01:37:56 am »

And the entire point of science as in the scientific method is that it isn't objective, just likely in less or more grade depending on how well trialed it has been.
Um

the entire point of the scientific method is to be objective

subjectivity in science is bad juju
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: August 12, 2016, 01:43:51 am »

At best it reduces subjectivity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: August 12, 2016, 02:00:34 am »

And a lot of things are objective. Science and statistics exist because objectivity is extremely useful. Opinions that defy rationality are less valuable than rational ones.

Aye, but irrational(or wrong) opinions, values, laws or traditions can be, by an individual, perceived as rational through these so called "morals". Making them subjective... If you believe in morals that is.

Scientific method I believe reduces dishonesty and subjectivity... Wether or not making decisions through scientific method is always best for everyone or in practice even possible I dont know. Maybe at some point we'll see an oligarchic nation where the ruling class is composed of scientists at some point so we can observe that. 100% objectively, of course.  :P

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: August 12, 2016, 12:19:45 pm »

And a lot of things are objective. Science and statistics exist because objectivity is extremely useful. Opinions that defy rationality are less valuable than rational ones.

Aye, but irrational(or wrong) opinions, values, laws or traditions can be, by an individual, perceived as rational through these so called "morals". Making them subjective... If you believe in morals that is.

Scientific method I believe reduces dishonesty and subjectivity... Wether or not making decisions through scientific method is always best for everyone or in practice even possible I dont know. Maybe at some point we'll see an oligarchic nation where the ruling class is composed of scientists at some point so we can observe that. 100% objectively, of course.  :P
A true technocracy would appear to be many different nations all with subtly and uniquely different government types, but multiples of each distinct type, possibly with just enough differences to allow isolation of variables within the styles of government, in order to determine which is the most effective.

Which means....!!!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: August 12, 2016, 12:25:07 pm »

Illuminati. Boo?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: August 12, 2016, 12:39:08 pm »

Noticed that someone had edited in a request for a link to that Jeremy Corbyn interview I mentioned a couple of pages back; here it is.

Also worth watching to see him lose his rag with Jackie Long not once but twice (I could understand it if it were an annoying twat like Krishnan-Guru Murthy, but Jackie Long's one of the better C4 news presenters). He's not exactly a charming fella, that Corbyn.

... there was a recent interview with Jeremy Corbyn (leader of the Opposition in my country) ... It reached a point where the reporter was repeating to Corbyn 'But voters have told you what they want. They want less immigration', and with a angry sneer on his face, he snapped at her and basically said 'We know better. They might think they want that, but we know what is best for them.'

I thought you weren't responding to me no more.

He neither said nor did what you said he did.

He got annoyed with the reporter because she interrupted him (second time was more amusing since there was a massive pause between him talking and her "interrupting") and he never said anything near to what you said, even by praphrasing... Are you a non-Labour version of Alastair Campbell?

Granted he didn't answer the question either, but that's pretty much par for the course for politicians. The very famous Newsnight interview between Jeremy Paxman and Michael Howard is a fantastically amusing example of that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: August 12, 2016, 02:55:12 pm »

Oh boy, it's the off-brand Loud Whispers, now with poorer fact-checking, and a disbelief in the human right to life instead of epic banter.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: August 12, 2016, 03:02:21 pm »

Oh boy, it's the off-brand Loud Whispers, now with poorer fact-checking, and a disbelief in the human right to life instead of epic banter.
Hey, that's my job!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: August 12, 2016, 03:07:51 pm »

Hey, that's my job!
You should file a lawsuit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: August 13, 2016, 03:29:11 pm »

29 Year old Aida Hadzialic, known for being both the youngest minister (of Higer Education) ever in Sweden, as well as the first muslim minister, has resigned, after she was caught by the police for drunk driving. She can face up to 6 months in prison as well, although usually the Swedish court settles drunk driving cases with a hefty fine.

I'm guessing she won't be welcome in the mosque anymore either.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: August 13, 2016, 03:43:57 pm »

How long was she in office?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: August 14, 2016, 07:59:47 am »

2 years, I believe, from -14.

For further details, she got caught with 0.2 promille, which is also the limit for the crime of Steerdrunkery in Sweden.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: August 14, 2016, 08:03:15 am »

Steerdrunkery
It took me longer than I'd like to cognate that this wasn't some Swedish legal term.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: August 14, 2016, 09:41:30 am »

It's a little bit Swedish legal term, given that it is the direct translation of rattfylleri, our name for the crime of driving intoxicated.

Possibly also wheeldrunkery.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 793