Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002022 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #4200 on: December 06, 2016, 02:56:06 pm »

Angela Merkel calls for full-face veil ban in Germany

A bit late, but better late than never.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: December 06, 2016, 03:00:56 pm »

What nonsense. She won't try to stop local politicians from covering up crimes by Muslims out of fear of being perceived as racist, but she'll openly tell women what they're allowed to wear?

LW was right about you, Europe. It's like I don't even know you anymore.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: December 06, 2016, 03:05:06 pm »

What nonsense. She won't try to stop local politicians from covering up crimes by Muslims out of fear of being perceived as racist, but she'll openly tell women what they're allowed to wear?

That first part was before she realized that AfD had a real chance of dethroning the Eternal Chancellor. That thing she did is probably an opening move in the upcoming general right-wing shift, to try and swing some of the AfD voters back to her side.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: December 06, 2016, 03:10:36 pm »

I swear, it's like governments are just compelled to always take the single most simultaneously destructive yet also ineffective path towards every issue. Expect whatever law that comes out of this to also be used as an effective ban on protestors via "face coverings". If I recall correctly, that already actually happened in France's version of it.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, this is the same nation that two months ago announced a zero tolerance policy on clown costumes due to their "terrorism". What really gets me is how many people buy line and sinker this "we don't cover our faces in our culture" propaganda line that politicians keep spouting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: December 06, 2016, 03:17:03 pm »

That first part was before she realized that AfD had a real chance of dethroning the Eternal Chancellor. That thing she did is probably an opening move in the upcoming general right-wing shift, to try and swing some of the AfD voters back to her side.

Well yeah, she is running for another term, so, no surprise she is taking a rightward swing.

Somewhat more info on it than CNN does: http://www.vox.com/world/2016/12/6/13854214/germany-angela-merkel-burqa-ban

The ban while driving part at least seems practical though, you really don't want anything that can obscure your vision (and no, I don't mean like sunglasses).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:20:33 pm by smjjames »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4205 on: December 06, 2016, 03:50:30 pm »

She's trying to appease voters who are growing more and more frustrated with the road she's driving Germany down, but so long as she stays behind the wheel there'll be no real change.
Appeasing german voters? Check the channel for uboats, that's some alarm bells right there

Hopefully German voters will see through it, but I'm not particularly hopeful. All that collective guilt indoctrination we did on them after WWII is really coming back to bite us in the ass.
This is the grim dark future we chose
At least we have top bants in the great decline though
Something weird with the psyche of Germany. So many Germans who don't want to be Germans whilst I'm reminded of one of the mass shooters screaming "I'm German"
Like the whole culture has become about trying to be what you can't, instead of being happy with who you are and being a good person

I swer on me nan's blessed grave that yesterday's irony is tomorrow's sincerity
I'm not even sure if ironic irony is safe from becoming sincerity anymore

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4206 on: December 06, 2016, 03:55:45 pm »

I think that Germany is trying it's best to not be violent while it's okay to be a bit violent. USA does it all the time and nobody gives a shit.
Be violent Germany, fight the IS and other terrorists, just don't go genocidal. You can be strong and have good military tradition without becoming Hitler.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: December 06, 2016, 04:08:10 pm »

Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: December 06, 2016, 04:20:56 pm »

There isn't that much oil in Middle East if you don't go to the Saudi land, and I don't think Russia is going to suddenly align with the decades-old strategic allies of USA.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4209 on: December 06, 2016, 04:25:14 pm »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: December 06, 2016, 04:30:07 pm »

There isn't that much oil in Middle East if you don't go to the Saudi land, and I don't think Russia is going to suddenly align with the decades-old strategic allies of USA.
Russia has sided with the Syrian government and they've sided with other nearby countries in the past (Turkey, Afganistan [technically after invading though]). But I'll admit that oil is a really tenuous reason for the EU to invade the middle east. It's much more likely that a major conflict will start in the South China sea between China and neighboring countries or in Eastern Europe with Russia or even between the US and Russia as they support different sides in the Middle East (which still isn't likely because, as LW has pointed out, a war like this would be bad for everyone).

IDK why I posted this. It was mostly an interesting idea I had.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: December 06, 2016, 04:38:20 pm »

Imagine, Sir, having to live with it. It is as if one woke up one thursday morning and noticed how the whole house has slowly turned into meringue.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: December 06, 2016, 07:07:51 pm »

Four Dutch companies, including two large banks, have been put on a black list by the state of New York, because according to NY, they boycot Israel.
They are given three months time to prove they are not boycotting Isreal, or face boycot themselves by the state of New York.

The companies deny boycotting Israel. They do boycot certain companies in Israel that are operating in illegal occupied territories, but they are not boycotting Israel as a whole. The most publicly known boycot is the company Vitens, which pulled out of it cooperation with the Israeli water company Mekorot, after a UN report accused it of pumping water out of occupied territory to sell it to Israelis.

It is official Dutch policy that companies are discouraged from trading with companies that profit from the occupied territories. It's not a ban, but it is a strong advice.

There's a difference between 'boycotting Israel' and boycotting certain companies that breach international law though. All four companies still do business with and in Israel, just not with Israeli companies operating in the occupied territories.

So wtf New York?

The blacklist, which totals 13 companies, is an initiative by New York governor Andrew Cuomo. He has banned companies from doing business with companies that boycot Israel. (Does that mean that New York cars will run out of gas soon? I'm quite sure that that ban would include doing business with most oil producing countries. Or does Cuomo want all New York cars to run on Russian petrol?)

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/staat-new-york-zet-nederlandse-bedrijven-op-zwarte-lijst-om-israel-boycot~a4429116/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:13:41 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: December 06, 2016, 07:22:46 pm »

I think it would be very naive to assume that Merkel is taking a genuine 'rightward swing'. She's had three terms to do whatever she wanted to do, and she's shown before that she'll say whatever she thinks will get her more votes ('Multiculturalism is dead', anyone?). It doesn't mean a thing as regards her actions.

She's trying to appease voters who are growing more and more frustrated with the road she's driving Germany down, but so long as she stays behind the wheel there'll be no real change.

Hopefully German voters will see through it, but I'm not particularly hopeful. All that collective guilt indoctrination we did on them after WWII is really coming back to bite us in the ass.

I never said that she was taking a genuine rightward swing, just that she was swinging to the right a bit to appeal to the rightwing party and conservatives. Normal tactics when a politician is facing an election.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: December 06, 2016, 07:32:17 pm »

I think it would be very naive to assume that Merkel is taking a genuine 'rightward swing'. She's had three terms to do whatever she wanted to do, and she's shown before that she'll say whatever she thinks will get her more votes ('Multiculturalism is dead', anyone?). It doesn't mean a thing as regards her actions.

I still don't get that. 'We feel collectively guilty for our grandparents killing 6 million jews, so let's allow 900000 people into our country of whom a large part have been raised from birth to want jews dead'. Right. Makes sense I guess.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:33:57 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 793