Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002024 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #4425 on: December 20, 2016, 04:56:36 pm »

One specific chokehold taught in police training was the probable cause of death last year during an arrest that made national news. The chokehold move came under investigation, but that concluded that it need not be removed from training, deeming it non lethal when used correctly. My guess is the problem lies with some folks who like to work out too much, and underestimate their own strenght when applying the technique taught them years ago in training. That, or the stress of the moment clouds their temporal judgement, and they apply it for too long.

For a second I thought you were talking about Eric Garner, which sounds very similar to what you're describing, chokehold and all.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: December 20, 2016, 05:08:44 pm »

Nah, it's was about a Dutch Caribbean called Mitch Henriquez, whose death even sparked BLM-like protests and riots in the Hague's district Schilderswijk. Two of the involved police officers are still being prosecuted.
While the choke hold was not removed from police training, police did add more warning about correct use of the technique to the course.
The intention of the chokehold is to make someone pass out quickly by restricting the artery running to their brain. If held too long, it can cause brain damage, or in this case even death, though oxygen deprivation.
If applied with too much force, or in the wrong spot, it can result in the larynx being damaged, or worse, the thyroid gland. The latter being a death sentence in severe cases through hormone overdose.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: December 20, 2016, 05:12:18 pm »

US is in a league of it's own, in there every man, his dog and the dogs squeaky bone have two guns each. In there, they kinda have a reason to shoot first. Or so they think anyways, I have no idea what is actually happening in a place with five times more prisoners per capita than world's average.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: December 20, 2016, 07:03:51 pm »

War on drugs plus mandatory sentencing minimums. One creates numbers the other keeps them there.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: December 21, 2016, 06:54:43 am »

The European Court of Justice, the EU's Highest Court ruled that indiscriminate e-mail and phone record retention is illegal, in a challenge originally brought to the UK's snooper charter. The impact on the UK should be minimal since they're leaving, but we poor Europeans that didn't vote to take back control of our democracy will now have to live with the jackboot of the EU enforcing the respect of our privacy.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: December 21, 2016, 07:18:32 am »

Don't be so goddamn bitter, Sheb.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: December 21, 2016, 08:28:05 am »

Well, re-reading it, it seemed it was an appeal against the 2014 version of the law. Of course, the precedent would nix the new law quite quick. I hope it goes down.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: December 21, 2016, 10:10:59 am »

So, the suspect they are looking for is a Tunisian that is actually known to authorities. They know who he is because he left his ID papers in the truck (which seems like a strange thing to do), he had been arrested back in August, but was released later. And is thought to have pro-IS ties.

So, quite the shit hitting the fan here for Germany.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4433 on: December 21, 2016, 10:21:02 am »

left his ID papers in the truck (which seems like a strange thing to do)
Meh.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: December 21, 2016, 11:25:44 am »

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: December 21, 2016, 03:48:31 pm »

To be honest their uniforms weren't very threatening (since that was the charge the court ruled on).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4436 on: December 21, 2016, 04:43:40 pm »

To be honest their uniforms weren't very threatening (since that was the charge the court ruled on).
shariah police 4 u

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: December 21, 2016, 04:47:20 pm »

It does say quite a lot that the general frightfulness of their clothes at the occasion is what is being questioned, however. If that is how far the barrel need to be scraped, then surely it would be easier to stitch together a case reguarding them calling themselves a form of "Police"? It is not that any one would believe they were genuine policemen, but it would be a more hopeful charge to pin their wings with.

Of course, there is a discussion to be had if voluntary and autonomous moral police should be allowed.

So, the suspect they are looking for is a Tunisian that is actually known to authorities. They know who he is because he left his ID papers in the truck (which seems like a strange thing to do), he had been arrested back in August, but was released later. And is thought to have pro-IS ties.

So, quite the shit hitting the fan here for Germany.

I do hope the hunt goes well. This one had the sense to try and survive, and that is a particularly dangerous (and, to me, somewhat irksome, as idiotic as it sounds) trait. With a bit of luck, there might be more rotten fish than just him in the net, if they catch him.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: December 21, 2016, 06:31:23 pm »

shariah police 4 u
Your Friendly Neighborhood Shariah Police
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: December 22, 2016, 03:22:59 am »

It does say quite a lot that the general frightfulness of their clothes at the occasion is what is being questioned, however. If that is how far the barrel need to be scraped, then surely it would be easier to stitch together a case reguarding them calling themselves a form of "Police"? It is not that any one would believe they were genuine policemen, but it would be a more hopeful charge to pin their wings with.

Of course, there is a discussion to be had if voluntary and autonomous moral police should be allowed.

I guess some forms of harassment charge would be the best, if they had actually done stuff that warrant so (Did they? All the article says they asked people to stop gambling and drinking, but I dunno if they acted in ways that would warrant harrassment charge).

Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 793