Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008224 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5040 on: March 07, 2017, 07:03:20 pm »

/s don't worry i heard they have lots of beds and shower facilities! even free clothes and an incinerator for the garbage! /s

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: March 07, 2017, 11:16:00 pm »

Saying 'locked up in containers' makes it sound a LOT like a concentration camp..... or maybe a jail.

It may just be the wording that makes it sound bad, but without more details on conditions and stuff, pretty hard to tell where on the line it is between a refugee camp, a jail, and a concentration camp.
It's quite easy a container camp is a camp that uses ship containers as housing units. So yah, basically, they're going to be locked up in ship containers. And yeah, for all intents and purposes it's a jail.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:20:03 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: March 08, 2017, 12:03:34 am »

I suspect that at least part of the motivation for using shipping containers is that they are really,  really cheap. I've heard that the big ports up in New York and Baltimore will give once-used shipping containers away for free, as long as you prove that you can haul them out.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: March 08, 2017, 01:07:09 am »

Yep. Apparently, using shipping containers as a framework for a home - a permanent home, not just a refugee camp - has actually become something of a fad in recent years.  They're not only cheap, but sturdy as well.  I mean, my opinion of Orbán is that he fancies himself the second coming of (a less competent) Mussolini, but I'd need to see how they're actually putting these refugee camps together before I start blasting them for "locking up children inside metal boxes," so to speak.  They used shipping containers at Calais, and apparently Berlin made facilities out of shipping containers as well if this is accurate.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:10:30 am by Culise »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: March 08, 2017, 07:41:09 am »

UK faces €2 billion EU tab for China fraud

Britain faces a potential €2 billion bill from Brussels after EU investigators found that U.K. authorities turned a blind eye to a massive fraud network that allowed ultra-cheap Chinese goods to flood into Europe.

The EU’s anti-fraud office OLAF, uncovering allegedly one of the biggest fraud rings in its history, concluded that British customs played a central role by repeatedly ignoring warnings to take action over Chinese textiles and footwear pouring into the EU at a tiny fraction of their cost of production.

OLAF calculated that U.K. customs’ “continuous negligence” deprived the EU of €1.987 billion in revenues in lost duties on Chinese merchandise. The highly sophisticated organized crime network also stripped €3.2 billion from the value-added-tax income of major EU countries such as France, Germany, Spain and Italy, the investigators said. 

In an attempt to recoup some of the funds, OLAF has sent a recommendation to the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Budget that the U.K. government should be forced to pay the €2 billion directly into the EU budget. Any recovery of the funds will depend on talks and legislative procedures between the U.K. and the Commission.

The anti-fraud investigators confirmed the details of the probe to POLITICO and said: “These losses to the EU budget are still ongoing since this fraud has not been stopped to date.”
More reasons why UK should've never been admitted to EU in the first place.
._.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: March 08, 2017, 08:48:01 am »

Britain faces a potential €2 billion bill from Brussels after EU investigators found that U.K. authorities turned a blind eye to a massive fraud network that allowed ultra-cheap Chinese goods to flood into Europe.

The EU’s anti-fraud office OLAF, uncovering allegedly one of the biggest fraud rings in its history, concluded that British customs played a central role by repeatedly ignoring warnings to take action over Chinese textiles and footwear pouring into the EU at a tiny fraction of their cost of production.

OLAF calculated that U.K. customs’ “continuous negligence” deprived the EU of €1.987 billion in revenues in lost duties on Chinese merchandise. The highly sophisticated organized crime network also stripped €3.2 billion from the value-added-tax income of major EU countries such as France, Germany, Spain and Italy, the investigators said. 

In an attempt to recoup some of the funds, OLAF has sent a recommendation to the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Budget that the U.K. government should be forced to pay the €2 billion directly into the EU budget. Any recovery of the funds will depend on talks and legislative procedures between the U.K. and the Commission.

The anti-fraud investigators confirmed the details of the probe to POLITICO and said: “These losses to the EU budget are still ongoing since this fraud has not been stopped to date.”

That is some SERIOUS fraud. Quite perplexing that they get away with just saying there goods are worth a tenth of their actual value.

"yeah I'm importing laptops, they are worth 10 bucks each"
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: March 08, 2017, 09:32:16 am »

That is some SERIOUS fraud. Quite perplexing that they get away with just saying there goods are worth a tenth of their actual value.

"yeah I'm importing laptops, they are worth 10 bucks each"
The EU was giving UK waaaaay too leeway in a naive and misguided attempt to placate the British "lords" and make them stay in EU. That's the only explanation I can see here.
._.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: March 08, 2017, 11:33:57 am »

No, the EU was giving the UK lots of leeway because it exists to cater to certain countries' interests and while the UK was part of it it was one of those countries.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: March 08, 2017, 11:55:09 am »

The EU was giving the UK leeway because the EU isn't a state and doesn't have custom officers of its own it could dispatch.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: March 08, 2017, 01:06:08 pm »

For now, that is. It should start having those, because this shit will continue to slip through otherwise.

The Union must federalize together, or else its members will surely perish separately.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: March 08, 2017, 03:29:02 pm »

For now, that is. It should start having those, because this shit will continue to slip through otherwise.

The Union must federalize together, or else its members will surely perish separately.

That would likely mean losing a great deal of sovereignity, which is the sticking point.

The original colonies never really had full sovereingity because they were still colonies, so the extent of the loss of sovereignity wasn't as big. Of course though, they were fighting a common enemy and would have benefited more from sticking together rather than being separate.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:31:33 pm by smjjames »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: March 08, 2017, 04:04:34 pm »

The EU was giving the UK leeway because the EU isn't a state and doesn't have custom officers of its own it could dispatch.

It's funny, Sweden is no longer allowed to have custom officers because of the EU.

Said the female anglerfish to her mate.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:07:12 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: March 08, 2017, 06:03:31 pm »

Tbf if the male anglerfish doesn't then there won't be any more anglerfish in a generation.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5053 on: March 08, 2017, 06:50:47 pm »

The EU did not punish anyone! For fuck's sake, it's a French law and French judge.
Oh yeah the EU is just facilitating the punishment of Marine. Cool beans

Since it's apparently standard procedure for the EP to lift immunity for most crimes unless related to the MEP's job why would they make an exception.
The European Parliament voting to help prosecute Marine for not committing a crime. For publishing already published atrocities committed by ISIS. Are you having a laff saying this is normal? Is this the fucked up world Europeans have made for themselves?

Yes, it's a stupid law. But it is not EU law. It's French law. That's what national sovereignty look like, you should be enjoying this.
Oh wait, this is the fucked up world yuros have made. I should be enjoying politicians being punished for publishing war crimes that are already in circulation. To have the cheek to say I would enjoy that simply because the same establishment is using both mechanisms to punish thought crimes is truly something progressive

Then you're basically insulting my intelligence by ignoring the data I provided stating that the French justice system didn't try to act to get this happening right before the election, instead posting a quote from that article which has no bearing on it as if I was unable to follow your goddamn link.
If I was to insult your intelligence I'd call you a moron, like hell would I be 5th dimensionally subtle. I actually think you seem smart! What I was doing was stressing my point, which you missed - you seemed as if I was concerned with the timing and not what was in fact being done. Hence why I quoted the relevant section in which the European Parliament lifted Marine's immunity for the purpose of prosecuting her because the Parliament and judged her as acting unfit as a member of the MEP.

So I'm just going to repeat my point once more: The case against Le Pen is a french case under french law. That law is retarded. It's not normal that France prosecute this shit. But it's normal that the EP lets the justice system do its job.
You say it's normal because you want it to be normal. I'm not sorry that this will never be considered normal, and it got the backlash it deserved. The role the EU and its Quislings have played in aborting rule of law has gladly gotten the attention it deserves - it's so easy in today's day and age to show the hypocrisy in which the EU claims to defend rights except for everyone who disagrees with their corrupt ways lmao

Like the average Frenchman is supposed to enjoy the EU protecting its own MEPs under freedom of expression and then fucking up its opponents for publishing war crimes. What a joke - and heavens forbid the EU be allowed to make it normal to act so arbitrarily

You know I agree, though I'd like to add

But a spokesman for HMRC said: "This is not a bill, it is Olaf's estimate of evaded duty, and not one that is recognised by our experts who will be challenging Olaf on their calculations.
I find the allegations well-timed and await HMRC's own investigation
Let's just say the EU has a €2B incentive

Tbf if the male anglerfish doesn't then there won't be any more anglerfish in a generation.
>implying yuros won't disappear in a generation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: March 08, 2017, 06:54:39 pm »

Sorry to poke American politics in here, but I'm wondering, how do other countries deal with avoiding the 'death spiral' for healthcare.
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/8/14849512/death-spirals-experts-republican-health-care-bill
http://www.vox.com/2017/3/7/14841682/republican-replacement-individual-mandate-cartoon

The main sticking point in the healthcare reform seems to be 'how do we avoid the death spiral and collapse of the HC industry?', so, here I am wondering how other countries deal with it.
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 793